• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What The Hell Happened To Project Gotham Racing?

RAIDEN1

I've never played ANY of them....and an owner of the Xboxes....maybe because I couldn't see any U.S.P about it, and then Forza came along, but saying that I am somewhat interested to see what all the fuss is about.....shame it can't be played on the XB-Series X

Last edited:
It was the secondary mascot but then after 4 they eventually had Horizon proposed and that ended up doing well at the same time the signed some deals for some other racers at the time so it seemed pointless to keep PGR around. The studio also later closing after failed releases without them didn't help either.

These days there's no one to make a 5th game.

Varteras

Gold Member
It's wild to me when I think that there's a chance that 3 years from now someone is going to necro a thread I posted in, just for someone to tell me to eat a bag of dicks over an opinion I had.

Man MSR on Dreamcast was so good.

I’d love to see MS eventually let Playground take a crack at a reboot like they are with Fable. Give Horizon some time to breathe.

Dr.Morris79

DC_SPEED_DEVILS.jpg
Damn, I loved that! I loved all these games in the thread. Racing games have never captured me like these oldies did.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PGR4 totally bombed which was a shame as it was a masterpiece of a racing game. Ton of content, amazing graphics, lots of modes, it was just the total package.

As good as Forza Horizon (1) is, it isn’t PGR4 by a long shot and I wouldn’t trust anyone at MS to resurrect the series.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No it’s not, I don’t give a shit who worked on both games. There different
They're not that much different other than going from full arcade gameplay to an arcade with some sim hybrid. Even had style/fame/kudos points and bikes.

Always felt like a spiritual successor to me.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Didnt the devs stop making the series because they hot bored? I remember reading a preview of the game of the club and the producer basically saying they wanted to try different stuff, i guess the club and blur literally killed bizarre creations before they could even make a 5th game for collateral

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'll tell you what happened to Bizarre Creations; ACTIVISION HAPPENED.

I've mentioned in the past the ridiculous body-count of UK studios that they killed off, or generally fucked with.

Alan Wake

My favorite racing series. I played the heck out of MSR on the Dreamcast. Loved cruising in London listening to the soundtrack and chasing Kudos. PGR was a hasty port but in PGR2 they really showed what they could do. I was blown away when I could play my own music in the game as well as race in my own town Stockholm. Never happened before or since.

Bizarre deserved better.

PanzerCute

Funny, I had the game on PC and it had a completely different name, they just rebranded it for DC and added a bit of content.

Regarding the topic, I cant express how much I love MSR, that game blew me away with its game design and aesthetics when it released. And to me, PGR was great but a step down, especially regarding the difficulty and progression.

Last edited:
Microsoft really should have bought Bizarre, they could have easily made any sort of top tier racing game if MIcrosoft didn’t want to keep at it with PGR.

Still can’t believe how Activision fucked up with them, especially after how great Blur was.
Activision is one of the great evils of the gaming world, up there with EA, when it comes to absolutely ruining things for everyone.

intbal

Microsoft really needs to X-Enhance the PGR games. They'd look good in 4K HDR, especially PGR4.

The games would have to be added to the backwards compatibility list first.
With both the car and music licensing, I doubt that will ever happen.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Microsoft and Activision happened.
How is it Microsoft's fault that Activision bought them?
I thought MSR and PGR team members joined or became the Forza teams?
Playground Games was made up of former Codemasters devs. The former members of Bizzarre Creations created a mobile dev studio and then shut it down

Monad

There are no words to describe how much I miss Project Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge and Midtown Madness.

Microsoft had the best lineup of racing games on the first Xbox, the three above and the first Forza Motorsport in the same console, pure joy.

I miss those times.

They're not that much different other than going from full arcade gameplay to an arcade with some sim hybrid. Even had style/fame/kudos points and bikes.

Always felt like a spiritual successor to me.
C’mon dawg, Just about every arcade type of racing game since MSR has had some kind of Kudos/point system, it’s been 23 years.

If Drive Club took place in various downtown sections of giant metropolis’ around the world with differing routes and gleaming skyscrapers for backdrops. Then I would say spiritual successor.
Remember when PGR 3 and 4 were coming out and all the scanning they did for various buildings around the different cities for the game, the glorious detail. God if they only did that with Drive Club with that rain effect in downtowns at dusk…

MSR to PGR is a spiritual successor to a game in my book.
But this is all my own opinion and meaningless to anyone but me.

Top Bottom