• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Type of Screen do You Play your Console on?

What type of screen do you play your console on?

• I play on a 4K TV

Votes: 219 73.7%
  • I play on a 1080p TV

Votes: 39 13.1%
  • I play on a 1080p Desktop Monitor

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • I play on a 1440p Desktop Monitor

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • I play on a 4K Desktop Monitor

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • I play on a 1080p Projector

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I play on a 1440p Projector

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I play on a 4k Projector

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Uhh.... I play on a HD ready TV, F you, 720p for LIFE

• CRT all the way bae

• Total voters

Kuranghi

An opportunity to talk about my TV you say?!?:

Leonardo Dicaprio Smile GIF

You're going to regret asking :goog_tongue:

Its a Sony 65" ZD9, still lauded as the best LCD TV ever made in terms of dimming/HDR performance (Not for much longer probably though :lollipop_crying: lol) due to having a full field brightness of 600 nits, peaks of 1600-1800 nits and ~646 dimming zones for amazing image depth:

Each zone is only 2.78 sq inches so even tiny bright things on a dark background rarely have blooming, compared to most other FALD LCDs. My flatmate has an Sony XF9005 which is lovely but the zones are 30 sq inches each so blooming is inevitable even with a great dimming algorithm.

It also comes in 75" and 100" versions, the latter of which I dream of owning due to it having ~1536 zones :messenger_grimmacing_ and a peak brightness of ~2800 nits(!!!):

It still blows my socks/eyeballs off every day, with both SDR and HDR content. I'm playing R&C:RA on it just now alongside a replay of RE:Village and its the business:

Funny Face GIF

I also finally managed to get SDR looking correct in RE2/3 Remake (HDR is fucked in both, imo totally avoid it and forget it exists, they fixed it in RE8 thankfully) and thats been awesome seeing it look like the trailers finally (on my 11th run :messenger_tears_of_joy:) and not have crushed or blown out shadows.

Bonus OLED fanboy antagonisation: One of the best things about it is when playing something in HDR, like Ghost of Tsushima, and you step out from darkness into the light and the whole room lights up with the sun on screen as if I actually just opened my curtains in the morning (hyper exaggeration, I know lol) and most importantly stays that bright and doesn't dim down. Or when I'm riding through a forest the sun keeps getting blocked momentarily by the trees and flashes on and off, its so bloody stunning.

If I play on my OLED then those scenes still having amazing depth to them, better in many ways due to the tech differences, but I don't get that feeling of pop and depth to the really large and bright areas from it nearly as much, even in the dark.

Last edited:

Fake

Whats so terible about Samsung 4K TV may i ask?

Everything. The TV speakers, sound quality, the screen quality and the problems this TV have since day one. The only thing that save this TV is his game mode, but again when you active the game mode the TV speakers become even more trash. I forced to disable bitstream/DD and put PCM linear because the TV is impossible to listen at the game mode. Is by far the worst Game Mode implementation I have on TV and I already owed 3 Bravia TVs and 2 LG TVs. Even the Samsung Brazil support admit that the game mode have their issues, but nothing they can to do fix.
Ow, PC mode have more input latency than game mode.

I live in Brazil, so you should know that Samsung/LG TVs here are quite bad in comparison with the rest of the world. Samsung TVs on UK/USA normally are quite good in comparison with here.

This is the TV model if you're wondering.

Samsung 4k TV UN40JU6000G

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I have one of these in my bedroom with a 360 hooked up

You truly don't need much more, or at least I dont

I wish you could come round mine Teezzy, I'd show you buffy's giant books on my telly and you'd be like "Oh laudy mama I've been missing OUT!":

In fact everyone is invited to Kuranghi's, even OLED fanboys, but ofc I'll insist we top up their drinks every time they aren't looking and when they pass out we write "LCD4Lyfe" and the slightly more nerdy "While OLED produces a fantastic image it has issues with large bright scenes due to ABL and it displays low framerate content in such an accurate way that it demands motion post processing to avoid looking unpleasant" on their foreheads and arms.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I watch Buffy on a CRT via Monster component cables... the way Jesus intended 😇

...and I support that, because it was shot on film, and especially if its the DVDs. Anyway, PM when you are going to finally upgrade and I'll keep you right.

I have an 65" LG CX and a 27" 1440p LG monitor. The PS5 is always hooked up to the CX because it's such a pain in the ass to move. My XSX ill move to either display, depending on where I want to play(living room or bedroom). I have a Switch dock hooked up to both the TV and monitor.

iQuasarLV

Everything. The TV speakers, sound quality, the screen quality and the problems this TV have since day one. The only thing that save this TV is his game mode, but again when you active the game mode the TV speakers become even more trash. I forced to disable bitstream/DD and put PCM linear because the TV is impossible to listen at the game mode. Is by far the worst Game Mode implementation I have on TV and I already owed 3 Bravia TVs and 2 LG TVs. Even the Samsung Brazil support admit that the game mode have their issues, but nothing they can to do fix.
Ow, PC mode have more input latency than game mode.

I live in Brazil, so you should know that Samsung/LG TVs here are quite bad in comparison with the rest of the world. Samsung TVs on UK/USA normally are quite good in comparison with here.

This is the TV model if you're wondering.

Samsung 4k TV UN40JU6000G
Not sure if these settings are remotely close to the 6000 series, but this website has not steered me wrong yet. They are pretty anal about their reviews and settings. With that said, try this link to see if it helps with that model.
CLICK ME

iQuasarLV

An opportunity to talk about my TV you say?!?:

Leonardo Dicaprio Smile GIF

You're going to regret asking :goog_tongue:

Its a Sony 65" ZD9, still lauded as the best LCD TV ever made in terms of dimming/HDR performance (Not for much longer probably though :lollipop_crying: lol) due to having a full field brightness of 600 nits, peaks of 1600-1800 nits and ~646 dimming zones for amazing image depth:

Each zone is only 2.78 sq inches so even tiny bright things on a dark background rarely have blooming, compared to most other FALD LCDs. My flatmate has an Sony XF9005 which is lovely but the zones are 30 sq inches each so blooming is inevitable even with a great dimming algorithm.

It also comes in 75" and 100" versions, the latter of which I dream of owning due to it having ~1536 zones :messenger_grimmacing_ and a peak brightness of ~2800 nits(!!!):

It still blows my socks/eyeballs off every day, with both SDR and HDR content. I'm playing R&C:RA on it just now alongside a replay of RE:Village and its the business:

Funny Face GIF

I also finally managed to get SDR looking correct in RE2/3 Remake (HDR is fucked in both, imo totally avoid it and forget it exists, they fixed it in RE8 thankfully) and thats been awesome seeing it look like the trailers finally (on my 11th run :messenger_tears_of_joy:) and not have crushed or blown out shadows.

Bonus OLED fanboy antagonisation: One of the best things about it is when playing something in HDR, like Ghost of Tsushima, and you step out from darkness into the light and the whole room lights up with the sun on screen as if I actually just opened my curtains in the morning (hyper exaggeration, I know lol) and most importantly stays that bright and doesn't dim down. Or when I'm riding through a forest the sun keeps getting blocked momentarily by the trees and flashes on and off, its so bloody stunning.

If I play on my OLED then those scenes still having amazing depth to them, better in many ways due to the tech differences, but I don't get that feeling of pop and depth to the really large and bright areas from it nearly as much, even in the dark.

Two things:
1. Innerspace rocks as an 80s movie
2. I am jelly of your setup. I go to Best Buy just to look at that thing in their (these-TVs-cost-as-much-as-two-months-mortgage room.) Would I love to own that, fuck yes. Can I? Hello no!

I am happy I got into even the X75 series. Gotta start somewhere.

xrnzaaas

I always found it weird how some people willingly play on the console using a monitor, even if it's a 4k or curved one. Not hating on anyone, I just associate (stationary) consoles with tv's.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I have an 65" LG CX and a 27" 1440p LG monitor. The PS5 is always hooked up to the CX because it's such a pain in the ass to move. My XSX ill move to either display, depending on where I want to play(living room or bedroom). I have a Switch dock hooked up to both the TV and monitor.

Ps5 more of a pain in the ass to move than xsx? Is it the fins? 🤔

Kuranghi

Two things:
1. Innerspace rocks as an 80s movie
2. I am jelly of your setup. I go to Best Buy just to look at that thing in their (these-TVs-cost-as-much-as-two-months-mortgage room.) Would I love to own that, fuck yes. Can I? Hello no!

I am happy I got into even the X75 series. Gotta start somewhere.

1. Ultra agree, Joe Dante ftw.
2. Thanking you.

Tbh, I only have it because its ex-display and I was a Sony employee at the time it was going on clearance, so super duper lucky in that regard. Otherwise I'd have a 55" X930E, which is still awesome ofc but not mind-boggling like the Z9D.

PM when you are ready to upgrade and I'd be happy to give you (enthusiast-level) advice if you want it.

spawn

4K HDR Sony TV with Sony surround sound speakers. My 1080p TV broke so I upgraded to 4k along with a new PS4 pro. I never regret it.

Knightime_X

1440p for me.
I get both good image quality and performance for pc games and I don't even have that strong of a gpu card.
Absolutely love it!

Last edited:

Banned
55" 4K60hz/1440p120hz HDMI2.0 TV with Freesync Ultimate
and a 27" 1440p165hz PC Monitor with G-Sync

Last edited:

Fake

Not sure if these settings are remotely close to the 6000 series, but this website has not steered me wrong yet. They are pretty anal about their reviews and settings. With that said, try this link to see if it helps with that model.
CLICK ME

Keep in mind that RTINGS don't cover variant models. The model you look for can't be found in calibration sites because is an exclusive brazilian variant. The link you posted is about an UK variant.

Just look into the RTINGS answers and questions.

edit: Oh, the calibration was easy to be make in this TV.

Last edited:
nXE4pNt.jpg

Posted this in pic in another thread so why not here too. Just got it a few days ago. Picked a up a Series X about two weeks ago from GameStop. Having that sitting in my den made me finally upgrade my living room TV.

55' Samsung QN90A

Banned
OLED OR NOTHING YOU BROKE HOES

OLED is a dying breed in the TV space. even early Mini LED TVs rival OLED TVs now, and imagine what they will be like 2 years down the line when dimming zones will double or even quadruple.

Last edited:

Hoddi

1080p plasma for anything HDMI and CRT for the rest. I also have a decent enough 4k HDR monitor for the games that truly benefit from it.

I also have an OLED in the living room but I don't have any consoles hooked to it.

MastAndo

Samsung 55 KS8000 (4K). It's served me well and while I have considered an OLED upgrade, it's also my work computer monitor so that's not going to work.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Honestly surprised at the ratio of 4k to 1080p. I guess I'm more behind the times than I thought.

My Bravia is about 12 years old and still going strong so I haven't felt the need to update which has also made me not bother upgrading to the next gen consoles until my tv breaks and I get a 4k.

Top Bottom