• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would the talk be if we didn’t know ANY next-gen console specs - we just had to go by the games we actually see with our own eyes?

Vawn

Banned
Well before we saw any next-gen gameplay, we were given various system specs - mostly around the vauge aspects of Teraflops and SSDs. A lot of disagreements about what those actually mean for games.

But imagine if we knew nothing about the underlying hardware. We just saw the games, trailers, etc. How do you think the discussion would be playing out? Would we assume the consoles were basically the same or would we believe one had an enormous advantage over the other?

ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-gameplay.jpg

haloin3.jpg

Demons-Souls-PS5-Screenshot-3-06052020-2.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming we still know what hardware the games were running on, so PS5 and mostly PC, I think people would assume the next Xbox was going to just be a branded gaming PC, and that the real 'next gen' Xbox was Gamepass.

And quite jonesrly I think I'd prefer that. I'd be far more likely to buy an XSX if I could put Windows 10 on it.

We'd totally think the PS5 was more powerful though.

Neo_game

Hardware on consoles are not too important. I think the main thing are the bottleneck and how quickly, efficiently devs can do their job. Moreover game engine and talent matters.

I would think that xsex is like what wii were to ps3/360, a slow budget machine.

Just by looking at games, which is difficult as they still havent shown anything running on xsex(real hardware), right? Other than current gen ssd demo

Last edited:

Agent X

But imagine if we knew nothing about the underlying hardware. We just saw the games, trailers, etc. How do you think the discussion would be playing out? Would we assume the consoles were basically the same or would we believe one had an enormous advantage over the other?

Good question. This is what I believe most ordinary consumers look at. They might know little or nothing about the actual system specifications. They can see videos, or try out a demo in a store, or play the games at a friend's house. That's where a lot of these people get their first impressions, which can greatly influence their opinion on how a system really wields its power.

When all is said and done, people don't play specifications, they play games.

THEAP99

Banned
Well before we saw any next-gen gameplay, we were given various system specs - mostly around the vauge aspects of Teraflops and SSDs. A lot of disagreements about what those actually mean for games.

haloin3.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Edit - mod if you could fix my spelling error haf=had. Ty
State of decay 3 was cgi lmao why are you inlcuding that

Last generation was the first one where the difference was small enough I was unsure about how much it mattered, especially since I was gaming on PC at the time. Without exclusives I wouldn't have bought a PS4 which I got close to launch for the new Killzone game, still one of the more impressive looking games of the generation to me. The prior generation everything looked amazing to me, I still remember being in a Best Buy gawking at how the smoke looked in Call of Duty 2. This generation... the trailers look like CGI trailers to me, the few times we see gameplay it's indie type stuff and cross-gen type stuff. Nothing stands out to me as a big next-gen showcase so far though some games look better than others. Like this generation we just experienced the advancements look more evolution than revolution. But diminishing returns are sort of to be expected and usually we don't see the best the generation can offer at launch. I think the main thing is, I'm more excited about what next-gen tech does for GAMEPLAY than I am visuals. RDR 2 already looks better than reality, so show me where we can go with gameplay now.

Kumomeme

we might claim some of the gameplay is fake, cinematic or run on pc and people gonna have meltdown over some wild specs prediction by others

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hard question, some devs make mediocre games even with 20tf and some people can squeeze wonders from 2tf...

I would probably say around 10tf by watching the trailers.

makaveli60

I only had my "this is nextgen" feeling when I played Infamous Second Son on PS4. Before that I was disappointed about the jump. And even after that it needed a couple more games like AC Unity and The Order 1886 to convince me that this is a proper jump. Now I know that these things take time and we are already at a level that graphics generally look insanely good. So I would have no idea how powerful these systems are because the launch games don't show that. Although R&C Rift Apart provides this nextgen feeling already, thankfully. But nothing else yet.

haloin3.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Edit - mod if you could fix my spelling error haf=had. Ty
You guys in GAF need to take tutorials from Bo_Hazem on how to take 4k screen shots.

Journey

Banned
Last generation was the first one where the difference was small enough I was unsure about how much it mattered, especially since I was gaming on PC at the time. Without exclusives I wouldn't have bought a PS4 which I got close to launch for the new Killzone game, still one of the more impressive looking games of the generation to me. The prior generation everything looked amazing to me, I still remember being in a Best Buy gawking at how the smoke looked in Call of Duty 2. This generation... the trailers look like CGI trailers to me, the few times we see gameplay it's indie type stuff and cross-gen type stuff. Nothing stands out to me as a big next-gen showcase so far though some games look better than others. Like this generation we just experienced the advancements look more evolution than revolution. But diminishing returns are sort of to be expected and usually we don't see the best the generation can offer at launch. I think the main thing is, I'm more excited about what next-gen tech does for GAMEPLAY than I am visuals. RDR 2 already looks better than reality, so show me where we can go with gameplay now.

The Medium is doing things that can only be done with a fast SSD, they’re instantly loading 2 worlds, similar to what Ratchet & Clank is doing, but it has gone under the radar since everyone seems to be focused on Craig, which by the way has nothing to do with how fun Halo Infinite might be and how smooth a 4K 120fps might feel like to play and what changes to the dynamic the grappler hook may bring. Launch Halo CE did nothing to prove OG Xbox, it was DOA3, PGR, Ninja Gaiden and later Splinter Cell, especially the latter, that were responsible for showcasing what programmable shaders were about.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
still would be wanting an Xbox. only a couple PS5 games i want to play (DeS/Horizon). the Xbox games announced i want are: Halo, Hellblade, Forza, Flight Sim, Avowed, State of Decay, Fable, Everwild. even if you take away the ones that are a while away there's still more than PS5.

and that's just the games. Xbox has better BC and Gamepass is great value.

Last edited:

wipeout364

It would be like the old days where you were beholden to the PR from the companies themselves who misdirect and lie constantly. I don’t miss those days at all, please bring on more technical analysis.

Is there a list of what's actually planned for the launch window for either console? I've failed to see anything concrete from either side that wasn't just a third party current gen game upscaled to next gen.

Sony has shown more impressive stuff IMO, but all of it seems pretty vague as to when it'll actually be out. I don't personally mind all that much if most stuff is just upscaled ports, but ultimately if one wants to buy a console within the launch window, there needs to be a solid reason for it. I think Xbox approach to supporting older games on the new hardware with seems more robust at the moment, but the reality of course remains to be seen. If there's nothing truly compelling next gen coming anytime soon, current gen games and how they work on next gen will be the deciding factor for many I think. I think that's the angle MS needs to go for to be honest.

Gamerguy84

t

Honestly anyone who has seen most multiplatform game side by side on a PS4/X1 knows the difference is overplayed.

Me and my neighbor did this experiment. Here I was thinking my PS4 was going to blow his X1 away.

The biggest difference we could see was the colors looked darker on the X1. The game was bright but had more black if that makes sense.

That was a few years ago and it was the day I realized comparisons dont show any difference whithout pausing and zooming. They were remarkably close.

Its truly the software and services that set them apart.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
It would be like the old days where you were beholden to the PR from the companies themselves who misdirect and lie constantly. I don’t miss those days at all, please bring on more technical analysis.

E3 2005 was pretty wild with Sony showcasing Motorstorm, Killzone 2 and Gundam Crossfire, that combined with Sony’s tactics on focusing on what they have over the competition, made 360 look like a joke, but time will always prove which hardware is more capable. Ryse: Son of Rome looked better than any PS4 launch title, but without analysis, we wouldn’t have pixel counters revealing the true 900p resolution and without specs, we would assume Xbox One was more powerful.

I’m personally looking forward to Assassins Creed Valhalla analysis, the meltdowns will be glorious, and of course if either platform is lacking on anything, the blame will be placed on Ubisoft even though the same talent is working on all platforms.

Looking forward to the results be it PS5 or XSX coming out on top. May the stronger console win!

Vawn

Banned
I’m personally looking forward to Assassins Creed Valhalla analysis, the meltdowns will be glorious, and of course if either platform is lacking on anything, the blame will be placed on Ubisoft even though the same talent is working on all platforms.

Gameplay looks like Origins/Odyssey and it's already been announced to be 30 FPS on Xbox Series X. I assume the same will be true for PS5. Who else should we blame other than Ubisoft?

I would be talking about how RnC showed all the stuff going on with particles, enemies and never stopping to load or throw up a 'slow walk and chat while we load'. I would be reminded of Ninty-Nine-Nights on the 360 and KuF on the OG xbox.

I want to return to games that are hero-modes. Us vS 1000's of enemies, just mowing them down like cannon fodder.

Birdo

Banned
If we didn't have specs and just saw fotage, I'd think that the PS5 just had a PS4 Pro inside it.

Journey

Banned
Gameplay looks like Origins/Odyssey and it's already been announced to be 30 FPS on Xbox Series X. I assume the same will be true for PS5. Who else should we blame other than Ubisoft?

Blame when it’s running worse on the lesser hardware.
Will probably look like this:

PC > NG console A > NG console B > XOneX > PS4 Pro > PS4 > XBone.

Whichever is found to be Console B will cause some serious meltdowns, or like I said, blame Ubisoft. Are you preemptively doing that?

Last edited:
Ryse: Son of Rome looked better than any PS4 launch title, but without analysis, we wouldn’t have pixel counters revealing the true 900p resolution and without specs, we would assume Xbox One was more powerful.
Nope. You are rewriting history here, sorry... Only MS fanboys (I rarely use that word) see it that way, Killzone :SF looked better or at least as good as Ryze from the get go, titles like battlefield 4 had higher resolution, more stable framerate AND better lighting effects in the PS4 (720p vs 900p)... So on and so forth. Not only that but Sony had many more games coming out from the get go. I recall many indie titles made it to PS4 in the summer of 2014 the Xbox one had nothing released on it weeks at a time, while on the PS4 I had something new to play on a weekly basis!

MS were too busy with their 180s and they were still figuring out what to do with the kinekt. I think that this is when they should have moved the focus on developing their studio stable, build a critical mass of amazing exclusive content so that they come in the new generation ready and with tons of people feeling like they missed on something by not having their console (similar to how Sony did it with the PS3). Now if you only play on console Forza horizon and Forza are your only reason to want an Xbox, they are great games.

Journey

Banned
Ubisoft have been known to force parity between PS4 and Xbox one early in the generation.

No doubt, it will hardly be a benchmark, I think Cyberpunk 2077 will be a much better example of what to expect, AC: Valhalla was just the first multiplatform that came to mind.

Last edited:
The Medium is doing things that can only be done with a fast SSD, they’re instantly loading 2 worlds, similar to what Ratchet & Clank is doing, but it has gone under the radar since everyone seems to be focused on Craig, which by the way has nothing to do with how fun Halo Infinite might be and how smooth a 4K 120fps might feel like to play and what changes to the dynamic the grappler hook may bring. Launch Halo CE did nothing to prove OG Xbox, it was DOA3, PGR, Ninja Gaiden and later Splinter Cell, especially the latter, that were responsible for showcasing what programmable shaders were about.

It's mostly on my radar because I don't know much about it. Is the 120FPS MP 4K as well?

I'm going to disagree on Halo CE, to me that might be the best launch title a console has ever had, the graphics blew me away at the time and I think they actually still hold up, I certainly prefer them to the Anniversary edition version.

Top Bottom