• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best FromSoft game now?

What's the best FromSoft game now?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 38 7.4%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 164 32.0%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 38 7.4%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 178 34.7%
  • Otogi 1/2

• Lost Kingdoms 1/2

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Metal Wolf Chaos

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • An Armored Core game

• A King's Field game

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.0%

• Total voters

The_hunter

Man Body GIF

Why yes, Bloodborne is my favourite.

bender

What time is it?
All are legends but Bloodborne isn't the best as it simply doesn't offer as much as any of the Souls games.

Variety in builds is lacking but it's a very tight package with no lulls (hello, Dark Souls). The setting is amazing. I flip between it and Demon's being my favorite Souls games. I wish I wasn't trash at Sekiro.

As much as I love Elden Ring, I think it suffers more from the open world than people have come to terms with. After the first two areas, the best part of the game becomes the large legacy dungeons and everything else is a necessary repetition to get better gear (catacombs, caves, etc.) outside of a few side quests and optional areas. Elden Ring could've been so much better had they made the world 1/2 or 3/4th the size and spent more time building out some of the areas/dungeons (Shaded Castle, Redmane Castle, Castle Sol, Caria Manor, Volcano Manor, pretty much all of Caelid and mountaintop of giants, Siofra/Nokron/Ainsel)

Dark Souls and Bloodborne are still peak FS mostly because I'm bitter about being stuck at Malenia and Malekith

bender

What time is it?
As much as I love Elden Ring, I think it suffers more from the open world than people have come to terms with. After the first two areas, the best part of the game becomes the large legacy dungeons and everything else is a necessary repetition to get better gear (catacombs, caves, etc.) outside of a few side quests and optional areas. Elden Ring could've been so much better had they made the world 1/2 or 3/4th the size and spent more time building out some of the areas/dungeons (Shaded Castle, Redmane Castle, Castle Sol, Caria Manor, Volcano Manor, pretty much all of Caelid and mountaintop of giants, Siofra/Nokron/Ainsel)

Dark Souls and Bloodborne are still peak FS mostly because I'm bitter about being stuck at Malenia and Malekith

I'm at 200+ hours on my first play through of Elden Ring and repetition is my biggest gripe with the game, particularly in bosses. I think I've killed 30 or 40 dragons by now. While I love how hand crafted the world feels, it's a little too dense with content. They should have cut down on some of the repetitious mini-dungeons and given the unique content more space to breath. Take a page out of SOTC book so to speak. It's a great game but it's pretty far down on my list of favorite FromSouls games, if not the bottom.

I posted this in the Elden Ring |OT| and I'll post it here too. This was my ranking after taking a step back from the ER honeymoon period and thinking about everything I've played and enjoyed from their company.

1)Bloodborne
2)Demon's Souls Remake/Original
3)Dark Souls 1
4)Elden Ring
5)Sekiro
6)Dark Souls 2
7)Dark Souls 3

I still need to find a way to try out most of the games on the bottom half of the voting list along with 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Sekiro really isn't even a Souls game. It's way too different from them. I don't consider the game a Souls game at all.
But OP is asking best From game. Sekiro has the exact core experiences as any other souls games - intricate level designs that reward exploration, satisfying boss battles.

Mozzarella

I would wait for Elden Ring DLC to drop.
These other Souls are boosted by their DLC, whether its DS1 or DS2 or DS3 or Bloodborne.
They all had good DLC to carry them.
I remember in Bloodborne the second half is not as good as the first half, because the bosses become less cool things such as One Reborn, Mergu and Micolash and Rom. And the areas become more linear such as Lecture Building, Nightmare of Mensis, Byergenwyrth, Yarghoul and such. Also the weapon variety is low and was fixed in the DLC same with bosses.
DS1 had this second half but again with the Abyss DLC it was lifted again.
DS3 had better second half but worse first half, and then again in the DLC Ringed City it got better.

So imo Elden Ring base game against the other base game maybe wins, but when the DLC drops if its of the same or higher quality than previous ones it will easily be the top game.
Base game wise actually Sekiro might be the best.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Elden Ring is perhaps the greatest game I ever played.
But I won't mind people voting for Bloodborne as well. It was a fantastic game with a superb theme.

Those 2 are top in my heart.

rofif

Banned
Purely objective point by point, ds3 is the best.
Dark souls 1 is the most significant
My fav is ds2

Hugare

Bloodborne is perfect, but it's also nowhere near as ambitious as Elden Ring

Elden Ring aims for the moon and manages to get almost everything right

Wasnt blown away by Bloodborne the same way I was time and time again with ER

Killer8

Bloodborne is the best. Fast combat and amazing art direction all around. Not enough games doing eldritch horror on that level either.

Next i'd say Sekiro. One of the most intense and rewarding games i've ever played with some all time favorite boss battles, but i'd have to dock points for the lack of co-op and build diversity. Can't really be helped as the combat is so finely tuned to one play-style, but it's an advantage for the other games nontheless.

Next is Dark Souls. The classic. Basically took what Demon's revolutionized and expanded it in an interconnected world. I would have put it above Sekiro, but the last third of this game is admittedly a bit shit.

Demon's Souls i'd put above the rest, purely as the OG. I love this game so much for what it introduced, and it's still fantastic to this day. More consistent than Dark Souls overall, and videogame-y with its hub world + levels structure, but the 2009 original is also a bit janky now. From Soft have definitely shown a lot of control and mechanics improvement over the years. The PS5 remake does improve some of the 2009 version's jank, but it drifts a bit too much artistically for my tastes.

Dark Souls 2 after that. Come at me, but this game was a great time, warts and all. Arguably the best co-op in the series, which I think is evidenced by the recent resurgence in players. Didn't care much for the very random SotfS changes and there was definitely some wasted potential with the torch mechanics and downgraded visuals. I'm hoping the new Flames of Old mod being developed will polish all of that and give the game the recognition it deserves. Also had the best DLC in From history.

Dark Souls 3 is my least favorite. Very forgettable game that felt somewhat phoned in, plus it was a real comedown after Bloodborne's fast combat. Maybe a replay would re-frame the game in my mind, but I doubt it.

Where does Elden Ring fit into all this? 25 hours in and i'd say possibly in the middle. I love the open world design, but they've botched the PC performance so badly i'm struggling to fully enjoy it right now.

stranno

Of course:

Cookiecreamps2.PNG

Well, maybe not, but it is a surprisingly good game, and probably the first 3D cooperative game of all time with dynamic splitscreen (ToeJam & Earl had it before in 2D).

61TDK08VJWL._SY445_.jpg

I would give it a RICHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD out of 10.

begotten

Recency bias and PC players inflating Elden Rings' numbers I see. ER is barely Top 3 in FromSofts' catalogue.

Sentenza

Elden Ring quickly climbed up to become my favorite of their games by a wide margin.

I’ve never seen anything even close when it comes to pairing quantity and quality of content.

Which doesn’t mean it does EVERYTHING better, for the record.
For instance when it comes to boss battles they peaked at Sekiro.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me is Sekiro, in other Souls games I always play as pure melee fighter and in my opinion Sekiro has the best melee combat in all FROM games.

Another reason I like Sekiro the most is has good story with proper character you care about, as much I enjoyed the lore other souls games, I couldn’t care less about plot or characters other than their lore dump.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Still Bloodborne. Just.

Reasons?

Most compelling setting. Most compelling lore. Best locations. Best moment to moment gameplay. Best bosses.

Yes, it's a lot smaller than Elden Ring, but it's such a brilliantly conceived and executed game in every respect other than the performance that it still outclasses Elden Ring, and Dark Souls.

Just.

Top three are Bloodborne, Elden Ring and Dark Souls though. No doubt on that.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Honestly I always find melee combat way more fun than magic in FROM games.
My NG+ run will be magic. Never played magic before, but in this game there's different magic types so I'll have to do research.

I currently have what is elden rings version of FUGS, the ruins greatsword at +9 with 60 str and 16 int, and the LB move destroys. Makes me really interested in what a magic build can do.

I just hope Sony recognizes that now it’s the perfect Tibetisch release a bloodborne remaster, after Elden Ring pulled in many gamers who were not interested in souls games before.

Brofist

Where does Elden Ring fit into all this? 25 hours in and i'd say possibly in the middle. I love the open world design, but they've botched the PC performance so badly i'm struggling to fully enjoy it right now.
Are people really still having this much problem with the PC version?

I had the stuttering issues for an hour or 2 tops, with the worst being on the Tree Sentinel boss, have about 100 hours logged now, and it's been quite a long time since I've even thought about it.

arvfab

Banned
Close race between Bloodborne, Demon's Souls and Sekiro, in this order. Haven't finished ER yet, but for now, I don't think it will enter the top 3.

Nocturno999

Sekiro's combat is amazing despite the lack of character build. Haven't Played Elden Ring yet.
Bloodborne is close, but chalice dungeons hindered it.

Last edited:

tibia

Neo Member
110 hours into Elden Ring and platinum'ed. Likely my GOTY. But i don't think i'll play it again. It's too much time with the traveling/horse riding/map gracing. If i were still a care free teenager i think this type of freedom would be incredible. This is probably the "modern approach" that generates the most discussion/social media content. Good for FROM.

But like many others per the poll, i prefer Bloodborne. Pick it up and finish it in a few hours. Intense and concentrated. High quality all around.

Demons souls 2009 was special though. Won't ever forget how awesome it was trying to figure the world out for the first time.

Fredrik

I just hope Sony recognizes that now it’s the perfect Tibetisch release a bloodborne remaster, after Elden Ring pulled in many gamers who were not interested in souls games before.
I don’t think Bloodborne is similar to Elden Ring, it plays differently, and I’ve never liked it.
Demon’s Souls is much closer to Elden Ring, the closed up ER areas feels very much like DeS levels. What’s pulling ER far ahead is the size and open world map packed with content and not having the same feeling of being stuck. And Torrent! I want all games to have an instant mount from now on!

Top Bottom