• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with moderators on this site lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatnessRD

No, it's really not.

When a game features some industry leading game mechanics and has more gameplay than it does cutscenes how exactly is it an "interactive movie"?

An interactive movie is something like Black Mirror Bandersnatch and the closest things we've had to that in the gaming medium are things like the telltale games, experiences like Her Story and Quantic dream's games.

To argue God of War is similar to those games is intellectually dishonest and is not the springboard for anything resembling an interesting discussion, quite the opposite actually.

If people just want to blurt out disingenuous one liners without being reprimanded then maybe they should stick to twitter.
So basically, you're hurt over one person's opinion? Got it. The horror of someone having a different opinion. Call of Casual just sold 1 billion in ten days and I think its one of the biggest pieces of trash ever, but the numbers don't lie according to what they're doing. It's ok for folks to not agree and yes, that's pretty wild what he was tagged for.

So basically, you're hurt over one person's opinion? Got it. The horror of someone having a different opinion. Call of Casual just sold 1 billion in ten days and I think its one of the biggest pieces of trash ever, but the numbers don't lie according to what they're doing. It's ok for folks to not agree and yes, that's pretty wild what he was tagged for.

He was tagged for blatant trolling not for having an opinion

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
While the argument of GoW being an "interactive movie" is obviously way exaggerated, I can still see where it's coming from.

Lots of modern games feature sections in which all you do is watch a cutscene (if you are lucky) or be stuck in a section in which all you do is listen to someone talk while walking behind it (walkie-talkie sections). Both of those can mess with the game's pacing if not properly done.

The previous GoW already had some of those, like when you are carrying the pig, and while it didn't bother me too much I can understand it being bothersome to many, specially those who came from the previous games which were much more action focused.

Personally I don't have a problem with it in nuGoW (at least on the first title, don't know how it'll be on the sequel), but rather have a problem with it being something so prevalent on modern games, specially when it's lazily done (walkie talkie) instead of something properly produced (cool cutscenes).

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Ya I think you’re opinion is horeshit. Then again you do have point when it comes to being a free for all on other games without any bans or warnings. Not sure how that works

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
He tagged for blatant trolling not for having an opinion

OP went into a thread - that wasn't an OT - and gave a zero-calorie snarky comment with a bit of self-aggrandizing, a comment that wasn't directed at anyone. I've been in threads - OT threads - that people hung around for, for the express purpose of shitting on folks enjoying themselves, that went on for pages.

If the OP is someone who enjoyed the kinetic gameplay of the original GOW series on PS2/3, the shift to "open world" action-RPG of GOW/R I might also describe as a "walking simulator" relative to what the game series was (personally I prefer the "walking" that is being used derogatorily here).

. . .at the end of the day, it is such a mild comment that you legit wonder if anyone would have noticed if it weren't directed at GOWR (which for all intents and purposes looks fantastic and that I woke up this morning excited to play, not realizing this wasn't actually releasing on Tuesday).

Topher

Gold Member
While the argument of GoW being an "interactive movie" is obviously way exaggerated, I can still see where it's coming from.

Lots of modern games feature sections in which all you do is watch a cutscene (if you are lucky) or be stuck in a section in which all you do is listen to someone talk while walking behind it (walkie-talkie sections). Both of those can mess with the game's pacing if not properly done.

The previous GoW already had some of those, like when you are carrying the pig, and while it didn't bother me too much I can understand it being bothersome to many, specially those who came from the previous games which were much more action focused.

Presonally I don't have a problem with it in nuGoW (at least on the first title, don't know how it'll be on the sequel), but rather have a problem with it being something so prevalent on modern games, specially when it's lazily done (walkie talkie) instead of something properly produced (cool cutscenes).

I think that is a better way of conducting a conversation on how cutscenes are implemented in games that just to outright dismiss them all as "interactive movies". That is the difference between concrete criticism and blatant trolling and yeah, there is a grand canyon of a difference there.

waquzy

I think that is a better way of conducting a conversation on how cutscenes are implemented in games that just to outright dismiss them all as "interactive movies". That is the difference between concrete criticism and blatant trolling and yeah, there is a grand canyon of a difference there.
I don't think saying something like" it's an interactive movie" classifies as being blatant trolling, it's more like tongue in cheek comment. He was exaggerating for sure. His only downfall was creating a new thread and crying river over mods behaviour etc, he should have just left it.

OP went into a thread - that wasn't an OT - and gave a zero-calorie snarky comment with a bit of self-aggrandizing, a comment that wasn't directed at anyone. I've been in threads - OT threads - that people hung around for, for the express purpose of shitting on folks enjoying themselves, that went on for pages.

If the OP is someone who enjoyed the kinetic gameplay of the original GOW series on PS2/3, the shift to "open world" action-RPG of GOW/R I might also describe as a "walking simulator" relative to what the game series was (personally I prefer the "walking" that is being used derogatorily here).

. . .at the end of the day, it is such a mild comment that you legit wonder if anyone would have noticed if it weren't directed at GOWR (which for all intents and purposes looks fantastic and that I woke up this morning excited to play, not realizing this wasn't actually releasing on Tuesday).

No one really noticed or cared that much. A mod noticed, saw it was just a blatant trolling attempt and gave him a little slap on the wrist. Oh well, move on.

But instead he turned it into a bigger deal and wanted to dedicate a thread to bitch and moan. Good riddance

Swift_Star

Banned
I don't think saying something like" it's an interactive movie" classifies as being blatant trolling, it's more like tongue in cheek comment. He was exaggerating for sure. His only downfall was creating a new thread and crying river over mods behaviour etc, he should have just left it.
It is. It's as trolling as saying Xbox has no games.
It's an empty statement that adds nothing to any discussion and made to bait people.
Also it's as tired as hell.
You can say the same stuff without sounding like a troll looking for a fight.

waquzy

It is. It's as trolling as saying Xbox has no games.
It's an empty statement that adds nothing to any discussion and made to bait people.
Also it's as tired as hell.
You can say the same stuff without sounding like a troll looking for a fight.
Nah, it's just banter

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Ya I think you’re opinion is horeshit. Then again you do have point when it comes to being a free for all on other games without any bans or warnings. Not sure how that works
We've always actioned for the "interactive movie" troll meme- just as we always action for "Xbox has no games" troll meme.

There is nothing unique other than a troll getting upset and unable to self-reflect. Most users take it on the chin and move on.

Topher

Gold Member

This is blatant trolling....

Looks like he called it for exactly what it is; nothing but an interactive movie just like all the other crap people fawn over.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

lGpcpVT.gif

Humdinger

If I were a mod, I personally wouldn't sanction someone for that comment, especially aimed at a game as overwhelmingly well-received as Ragnarok. It's a stupid opinion, but people are allowed stupid opinions. It's borderline trollish, but if it's a troll, it's a very ineffective and weak one, bound to fail. Trolling depends on hooking the other person into getting upset, often playing some kind of insecurity. That wouldn't happen here, because the thread would be 95% proponents. Ragnarok has been overwhelmingly well-received, with many 10/10s. A comment like that would just bounce off, or be laughed off. It wouldn't stir anyone up.

I think that whenever one "side" has an extremely well-received game, you've got to expect some posts like this from disgruntled fanboys. I wouldn't bother to sanction him.

But then, I'm not a mod. Now, I was one once, a long time ago in a galaxy far away. It was a pain in the ass, and I am glad I don't have to do it anymore. It's like sniffing the armpit of the forum everyday.

GHG

Did you even read any of what I said?

Don't know why I bother, it's always the same, so if you think the OP was correct in his communication then please continue.

lemmings GIF

Thief1987

If I were a mod, I personally wouldn't sanction someone for that comment, especially aimed at a game as overwhelmingly well-received as Ragnarok. It's a stupid opinion, but people are allowed stupid opinions. It's borderline trollish, but if it's a troll, it's a very ineffective and weak one, bound to fail. Trolling depends on hooking the other person into getting upset, often playing some kind of insecurity. That wouldn't happen here, because the thread would be 95% proponents. Ragnarok has been overwhelmingly well-received, with many 10/10s. A comment like that would just bounce off, or be laughed off. It wouldn't stir anyone up.

I think that whenever one "side" has an extremely well-received game, you've got to expect some posts like this from disgruntled fanboys. I wouldn't bother to sanction him.

But then, I'm not a mod. Now, I was one once, a long time ago in a galaxy far away. It was a pain in the ass, and I am glad I don't have to do it anymore. It's like sniffing the armpit of the forum everyday.
It was just a warning, he wasn't even threadbanned. Give a warning as a hint that this kind of behaviour is not welcome is a very reasonable thing to do. Having a meltdown over a warning is absolutely stupid, so his perm is 1000% on him.

Last edited:

Nico_D

He was tagged for blatant trolling not for having an opinion

As a side notion, that is how ReserEra sees people who go into their threads saying something the majority disagees with. Look at Twitter. Or any social media. That's how people are labelled today: trolls or left or right wing nuts. It is so easy and so lazy.

Some of course are just that, stirring shit and provoking people but not nearly as many as people would like to believe. And there is always the possibility to not get provoked. If people say something others consider stupid, there's always the option to label them in your head and move on.

Swift_Star

Banned
As a side notion, that is how ReserEra sees people who go into their threads saying something the majority disagees with. Look at Twitter. Or any social media. That's how people are labelled today: trolls or left or right wing nuts. It is so easy and so lazy.

Some of course are just that, stirring shit and provoking people but not nearly as many as people would like to believe. And there is always the possibility to not get provoked. If people say something others consider stupid, there's always the option to label them in your head and move on.
Kids needs to be moderated. The guy had it coming.

Shh

Who cares? Suck it up and move on. Life is way too short to get bent out of shape over astronomically tiny things like this.

GreatnessRD

Did you even read any of what I said?

Don't know why I bother, it's always the same, so if you think the OP was correct in his communication then please continue.

lemmings GIF
I don't have an opinion on whether or not OP was correct in his communication as its subjective and his opinion as I stated. Just because it doesn't align with yours or others doesn't mean its wrong because again, its his opinion.

And again, as I said in my original statement... if that's what he was reprimanded for, that's wild.

Reactions: Fuz

OuterLimits

OP put the comment in a thread where a reviewer gave the game a 6/10. Frankly, I would expect some trollish banter back and forth in a thread like that, and what OP posted was pretty damn tame.

GHG

I don't have an opinion on whether or not OP was correct in his communication as its subjective and his opinion as I stated. Just because it doesn't align with yours or others doesn't mean its wrong because again, its his opinion.

And again, as I said in my original statement... if that's what he was reprimanded for, that's wild.

It's not wild. If that's the only way someone is able to articulate their thoughts on something then what do you expect?

This shouldn't even need to be said but it's not the opinion, it's how you articulate it. Does the individual want a discussion or do they just want to drop a grenade, get a rise out of people, cause chaos and and run?

Here is me explaining my thoughts and feelings on a game that by many is considered one of the best of all time:

No warning, no ban, no post/thread deletion. It's not that difficult, you can speak your mind.

Clearly there is a general issue with communication and conduct on the Internet. Considering what people seem to think is acceptable nowadays and what everyone can see on social media every day we might well be beyond hope.

Humdinger

It was just a warning, he wasn't even threadbanned. Give a warning as a hint that this kind of behaviour is not welcome is a very reasonable thing to do. Having a meltdown over a warning is absolutely stupid, so his perm is 1000% on him.

I agree the meltdown is stupid, but my point is that the warning wasn't really necessary. It's like if you had a PS fanboy enter a Halo thread (the original Xbox game, highly praised system seller), the thread full of enthusiastic Xbox gamers, and the guy says, "Halo is just a copy paste of Quake" or something equally stupid. It's obviously just a lame insult coming from a sourpuss fanboy. It wouldn't get any traction. It doesn't even constitute a troll, since no one would get trolled -- they would just laugh it off, as they probably did here. I mean, did the OP's comment cause an argument to break out? Or did it derail the thread? I doubt it. People probably just rolled their eyes and moved on. I think the mod should have, too.

Like I said, when you have an enormously successful and well-received game, you've got to expect a few sourpuss comments like this. Imo, you should issue warnings for things will lead to pointless arguments or derail the thread, or when people show a pattern of appearing in threads just to take a dump on the "competition." But let sour grapes stuff like this go, especially when the thread is 95% positive on the game. It's small potatoes, not worth the negative feelings you stir up by issuing a warning. Plus it just seems unnecessary.

Just my opinion, of course. Mods are welcome to do whatever they like.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I agree the meltdown is stupid, but my point is that the warning wasn't really necessary. It's like if you had a PS fanboy enter a Halo thread (the original Xbox game, highly praised system seller), the thread full of enthusiastic Xbox gamers, and the guy says, "Halo is just a copy paste of Quake" or something equally stupid. It's obviously just a lame insult coming from a sourpuss fanboy. It wouldn't get any traction.

Not necessarily true at all. Comments like that often do get plenty of traction and spawn off petty arguments resulting in bans. That has happened on a number of occasions. I think a warning to advise posters to not continue with trolling dialogue is warranted in these cases. Either way, it is really easy to sit back and judge mods around here. You say you've been a mod so then you know it is a thankless job and a lot of decisions made are "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Humdinger

Not necessarily true at all. Comments like that often do get plenty of traction and spawn off petty arguments resulting in bans. That has happened on a number of occasions. I think a warning to advise posters to not continue with trolling dialogue is warranted in these cases. Either way, it is really easy to sit back and judge mods around here. You say you've been a mod so then you know it is a thankless job and a lot of decisions made are "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

It's a judgement call, but that would be my judgment. I'd let it go, for reasons I mentioned before. As I said, his comment did not lead to any big arguments or thread derails. Reference to "other times it's happened" doesn't mean much, since those were different contexts. This is a contextual thing. Much depends on the fact that GoW is an incredibly good, well-received game, and the thread populated with enthusiastic fans waving 10/10s, and that his opinion is so half-baked. Those types of comments don't result in thread derailment and big arguments. They get laughed off, ignored, ridiculed.

I'd add that if you sanitize the forum too much, trying to tamp down every little thing, it gets boring. Reading and reacting to stupid opinions is part of the fun of a gaming forum. And in a case like this, no harm, since he is so badly outnumbered.

I agree that being a mod is a thankless job. I'm not arguing with the mod, just giving my two cents.

Last edited:
It's a judgement call, but that would be my judgment. I'd let it go, for reasons I mentioned before. As I said, his comment did not lead to any big arguments or thread derails. Reference to "other times it's happened" doesn't mean much, since those were different contexts. This is a contextual thing. Much depends on the fact that GoW is an incredibly good, well-received game, and the thread populated with enthusiastic fans waving 10/10s, and that his opinion is so half-baked. Those types of comments don't result in thread derailment and big arguments. They get laughed off, ignored, ridiculed.

I'd add that if you sanitize the forum too much, trying to tamp down every little thing, it gets boring. Reading and reacting to stupid opinions is part of the fun of a gaming forum. And in a case like this, no harm, since he is so badly outnumbered.

I agree that being a mod is a thankless job. I'm not arguing with the mod, just giving my two cents.

It didn't lead to big arguments or thread derails as it was quickly dealt with by the mods. This isn't "sanitizing" the forum, its just cleaning up the droppings of mentally challenged morons. These comments have always held zero value.

Topher

Gold Member

The context I was referencing was the example you gave. And we are looking at that thread in hindsight. Really easy for someone to say what they would have done after the fact. In any case, "sanitizing the forum" is just hyperbole. It was a warning.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
It becomes a problem when you have people like the now deceased Lognor and Bernd making all discussions miserable because they lie, bait and distort information all the time.

Humdinger

The context I was referencing was the example you gave. And we are looking at that thread in hindsight. Really easy for someone to say what they would have done after the fact. In any case, "sanitizing the forum" is just hyperbole. It was a warning.

Well, you said the predicted bad outcome -- big argument and thread derail because of a single lame opinion -- had "happened on a number of occasions" in the past. Those were different situations, not the current one. Thus, different contexts.

Of course "it's easy to say what you'd do in hindsight." How are we supposed to have a conversation about mod activity otherwise? You can't talk about something before it happens.

We're just going in circles, but I'll give one last thought before I bow out. I take it that the rationale for this warning is that it helps to avert a possible flame war and/or thread-derailment. That's fine, and there are cases where that's a good idea. I am just arguing that this is not one of them.

It depends on the probabilities. What is the probability that the post is going to lead to a big argument and thread derail? If the odds are pretty good, then I say, fire away. But if the odds are low, let it go. As I've argued, the odds of his one stupid post sparking a flame war in this context are actually quite small. So, it was an unnecessary disciplinary action, counterproductive in the sense that it didn't accomplish anything (change in behavior would be the desired outcome), stirred up ill will and resentment, created a lot of drama, and had some people questioning the mods' decisions.

I think it was a bad call. I could be wrong. Maybe there's something I don't know about this poster's history. I'm just judging the single post on display. Imo, you should take action on problems, not on slim probabilities that a problem might develop in the future. If it does start to develop into a problem (let's say several people take the bait and a fanboy wrestling match breaks out), then you take action. But not at this stage, where all you've got is one dumb post floating in a sea of adulation, with little chance of it igniting a flame war.

Ok, I've said enough (probably more than enough, lol). I think the mods needlessly intervened, and you applaud what they did. That's fine. We disagree. Cheers. :)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You said the predicted bad outcome -- big argument and thread derail because of a single lame opinion -- had "happened on a number of occasions" in the past. What I was saying was, those were different situations -- other situations -- not the current one. Thus, different contexts.

I'll not continue on with this, but let's be clear: I said the outcome you said would happen give the scenario you provided wasn't necessarily true.

"it's like if you had a PS fanboy enter a Halo thread (the original Xbox game, highly praised system seller), the thread full of enthusiastic Xbox gamers, and the guy says, "Halo is just a copy paste of Quake" or something equally stupid. It's obviously just a lame insult coming from a sourpuss fanboy. It wouldn't get any traction."

So yeah, if you want to say that is a "different situation" then fine, but the situation/example was provided by you.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Wrong. I said the outcome you said would happen give the scenario you provided wasn't necessarily true.

"it's like if you had a PS fanboy enter a Halo thread (the original Xbox game, highly praised system seller), the thread full of enthusiastic Xbox gamers, and the guy says, "Halo is just a copy paste of Quake" or something equally stupid. It's obviously just a lame insult coming from a sourpuss fanboy. It wouldn't get any traction."

So yeah, if you want to throw out "different context" then circle back to your own post and start there.

I think there is some communicate glitch going on here. When you said "the context I was referencing was the example you gave," I interpreted this as a reference to what I'd said in the previous post, about the contextual nature of the judgment:

Reference to "other times it's happened" doesn't mean much, since those were different contexts. This is a contextual thing. Much depends on the fact that GoW is an incredibly good, well-received game, and the thread populated with enthusiastic fans waving 10/10s, and that his opinion is so half-baked. Those types of comments don't result in thread derailment and big arguments. They get laughed off, ignored, ridiculed.

The Halo example was just an illustration of that same idea. When you said "the predicted outcome (conflagration) had happened on a number of occasions" in the past, that wasn't responsive to what I was saying. Those were different situations and different contexts.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think there is some communicate glitch going on here. When you said "the context I was referencing was the example you gave," I interpreted this as a reference to what I'd said in the previous post, about the contextual nature of the judgment:

The Halo example was just an illustration of that same idea.

When you said "the predicted outcome (conflagration)" had happened on a number of occasions (in the past), that's not really responsive to what I was saying. Different situations, different contexts. Maybe you wanted to argue that there were specific cases where a single dumb post in a 10/10 game thread got lots of people stirred up and led to a flame war and thread derail, but you didn't give any specifics.

I talked a little about the probability issue above. That may help clarify what I'm saying.

I really don't know how the conversation got so out of whack, but I'm not going to rehash it.

GreatnessRD

It's not wild. If that's the only way someone is able to articulate their thoughts on something then what do you expect?

This shouldn't even need to be said but it's not the opinion, it's how you articulate it. Does the individual want a discussion or do they just want to drop a grenade, get a rise out of people, cause chaos and and run?

Here is me explaining my thoughts and feelings on a game that by many is considered one of the best of all time:

No warning, no ban, no post/thread deletion. It's not that difficult, you can speak your mind.

Clearly there is a general issue with communication and conduct on the Internet. Considering what people seem to think is acceptable nowadays and what everyone can see on social media every day we might well be beyond hope.
Well, there is nothing more to say. We'll agree to disagree, homie. While not tactful as you'd like, still seemed pretty tame to me especially with what has been shown on NeoGaf over the years in my opinion. But yeah, I'll just leave it at that. I did enjoy the conversing though.

*Firm handshake*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom