• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most underrated third person game in your opinion that is perfectly playable today?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
34464.gif

j4RkbJM.gif

Justin9mm

Wait is Max Payne 3 considered underrated ?
I'd say it is. Gameplay was fun as fuck when released and it didn't get much praise at the time. Imo it's still an underrated gem that should of been re-released on PS4. Still hoping for a remaster. I don't think it needs a full remake but R* is dead. Even if they did a remaster, they would probably outsource and fuck it up.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Gravity Rush 2 is definitely underappreciated. Such a beautiful and fun playing game. I'm guessing the gravity based mechanics just didn't click with everyone

As for Astral Chain, most people I see talking about it absolutely praise it as one of Platinum's best new IP in years. Not sure I'd call it underrated but it didn't sell as well as it could have (its under 2mil)

Gravity Rush 2 is definitely underappreciated. Such a beautiful and fun playing game. I'm guessing the gravity based mechanics just didn't click with everyone

As for Astral Chain, most people I see talking about it absolutely praise it as one of Platinum's best new IP in years. Not sure I'd call it underrated but it didn't sell as well as it could have (its under 2mil)
I think the gameplay was fun and the gravity based mechanics are brilliant, but the story was such an unbearable, convoluted, poorly written mess that I just couldn't play it.

Or in short: too japanese

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think "third person" is extremely vague, so i'll just post some underappreciated classics

Heretic 2

I remember playing this as a kid. It went for a mix of fast paced action from FPS games with Tomb Raider platforming and acrobatics.

I never understood why they didn't re-release this even though both Heretic 1 and Hexen games are still sold. I assume its some confusion with IP rights. I really hope this gets sorted out because to set up this game to play it today is kind of a pain, and it being sold in a perfectly functional state right out of the box would be great.

Outcast:

The game pioneered a lot of special effects like real-time shadows. Nowadays theres still a lot that you can appreciate in this game, like the musical score or the great sense adventure it gives off. Playing this today is kind of a fever dream-like experience.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The Witcher. The first one. I love that game, it's my favorite in the series. I love being able to switch combat stances, manually switching between silver and steel, the medallion mechanics, and its music and atmosphere are incredible. I use mods to make Witcher 2 & 3 Geralt closer resemble his original appearance.

Assassin's Creed Unity was fairly maligned for its awful release. Have people seen it since? I don't know if it's more popular now. It's a lot more polished than even most of the acclaimed ACs, and because of its launch, Ubisoft never released thirty $3 DLC packs. Instead it has one expansion, and it was given to all players for free (also there's some pre-order weapon pack, who cares).

Vampyr kicks ass. I have to go. I don't have time to talk about Vampyr. I really liked Vampyr. I wanna see Don't Nod make more action RPGs (they changed their name, it has a space and apostrophe now).

simpatico

Resident Evil 6. I hope they retcon it as a fever dream so we can continue the story without these events, but man the gameplay is fantastic. Once you get the feel for quick shot + melee, Vanquish flavored zombie madness ensues. Super underrated and holds up extremely well. The models and animations haven't aged a day, but you will catch the occasional bad texture. If you play it without the expectation for a new mainline Resident Evil, it's amazing.

"third person" is very broad but I guess I would say Darksiders 3. People shit on that game way too hard because it tried doing something different.

Gambit2483

I think the gameplay was fun and the gravity based mechanics are brilliant, but the story was such an unbearable, convoluted, poorly written mess that I just couldn't play it.

Or in short: too japanese

Can't argue with you there...it was pretty out there. I feel like you had to play the first game to get a true sense of the world/lore/story...I might pick it up again and give it another go

Top Bottom