• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most underrated third person game in your opinion that is perfectly playable today?

Dr.Morris79

qXYrBfA.jpg

For me, the story took a huge dive when it started to focus on the Talia/Ras stuff. It doesn't feel like it fits the game. I think it would've been tighter if the whole thing was just masterminded by Hugo Strange.
Yeah especially the section where you start flying in this illusion desert area. Felt very weird and unfitting.

Laptop1991

The Saboteur, although when i tried to replay it using origin's it wouldn't work lol, haven't tried since.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
The Saboteur, although when i tried to replay using origin's it wouldn't work lol, haven't tried since.
I keep getting tempted to buy this for my PS3. Played it for a bit back when it came out, but never finished it.

I liked a lot about it, but just... Never felt compelled to finish it.

Laptop1991

I keep getting tempted to buy this for my PS3. Played it for a bit back when it came out, but never finished it.

I liked a lot about it, but just... Never felt compelled to finish it.
Yeah i didn't finish it either, years ago now, but it was a good game with a good setting and atmosphere, i might try and download it again, have to use that EA app!, hopefully it will work this time lol.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Mercenaries 2
Kane and lynch 2
Evil within (the resident 5 we should of got)
Quantum break
Earth defence force 2017

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's still buggy, but I think it's a good game. Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness.

The only way we would ever get a Sleeping Dogs sequel, is if some fans made an un-official remake...because the folks behind it don't care
I dunno man, the studio behind it were supposedly in the early stages of an even more ambitious follow-up. Unfortunately, the original didn't manage to generate enough revenue to convince SE it was worth pursueing. So, it was shut down early on.

AFAIK most of the original team disbanded and some left the industry shortly after.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Biomutant proved to be underrated, assassins creed Valhalla is up and away the best assassins creed historical game of the three, Kena is another good download.

RAIDEN1

I dunno man, the studio behind it were supposedly in the early stages of an even more ambitious follow-up. Unfortunately, the original didn't manage to generate enough revenue to convince SE it was worth pursueing. So, it was shut down early on.

AFAIK most of the original team disbanded and some left the industry shortly after.
So that's what I mean, I can't see some of the original team banding together to create a spin-off, much less a sequel....the only chance of a semi-sequel is if someone brought out a mod or something...

The Witcher. The first one. I love that game, it's my favorite in the series. I love being able to switch combat stances, manually switching between silver and steel, the medallion mechanics, and its music and atmosphere are incredible. I use mods to make Witcher 2 & 3 Geralt closer resemble his original appearance.

Assassin's Creed Unity was fairly maligned for its awful release. Have people seen it since? I don't know if it's more popular now. It's a lot more polished than even most of the acclaimed ACs, and because of its launch, Ubisoft never released thirty $3 DLC packs. Instead it has one expansion, and it was given to all players for free (also there's some pre-order weapon pack, who cares).

Vampyr kicks ass. I have to go. I don't have time to talk about Vampyr. I really liked Vampyr. I wanna see Don't Nod make more action RPGs (they changed their name, it has a space and apostrophe now).
Vampyr is very underrated. It is so fun and wonderfully atmospheric. I 100% agree with this choice.

intbal

Enclave.

Both the PC and Xbox versions are still great.
Supposed to be a remaster in development, but it was supposed to release two years ago and the company making it has gone silent on its current status.

Trunx81

Unit 13 (Vita)

Could have been much more, yes. But the short levels fit the handheld perfectly and multiplayer was a blast. Graphics were good as well.

Gobjuduck

Banned
- Tomb Raider 2013, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

The trilogy is fantastic, and they don’t get enough credit.

- Alice madness returns

Really solid game, it’s a bit long at parts but it does a lot of interesting stuff throughout.

- Astral Chain

The game rocks. Along isometric platinum games wonderful 101 and recently Bayonetta origins. It’s a shame they don’t get the praise they desrve.

- Trials of Mana

Really slept on remake, it’s oozing with charm and plays very well. Should be played on PC with 120 fps, it plays so smoothly.

Melchiah

Let It Die

Unfortunately, it was falsely accused of being pay-to-win. Every single one of those accusers just proved they hadn't upgraded their gear, or paid attention to strengths and weaknesses of each enemy faction. There's basically upgrade check every 10 floors, along with a change of enemy faction. You're obviously going to have a hard time if you just try to rush through the game with a low level gear, and use weapons that enemies have a high resistance against.

Warablo

A lot of them are decent. I will throw Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance out there. Just learn how to parry and you will have a blast.

Gravity Rush 2 is definitely underappreciated. Such a beautiful and fun playing game. I'm guessing the gravity based mechanics just didn't click with everyone
GR1 was okayish, maybe the motion controls on a handheld were more intuitive, can't remember exactly, but that was imho already the Knack of the system, actually overhyped and overappreciated, by naturally only very few people, cause Vita. GR2 was much worse, it felt like I had stick drift and lag combined. Never experienced so terrible camera controls in any game ever. I constantly was figthing against the camera, always spinning around to find enemies, but autoadjust always showing me walls, turning everything upside down all the time for no helpful reason or getting stuck in every possible corner, shooting almost always past enemies when attacking, then turning around way too slow, but otherwise way too fickle to properly center on a target, "aiming" was anyway more or less looking at the arrows and hoping you see the actual target too once in a while, autoaim targeted practically always the far end in the depth or even behind objects instead of the nearest thing. Just having a lock-on system (maybe some minor auto leveling too) and the game might have been at least tolerable. I mean "shooting" stuff at least worked with autoaim quite okay, even though objects constantly were thrown at obstacles for some stupid reason but it was probably necessary for some of the challenges and much easier than trying to do it how the premise of the game promises the gameplay to be. Having pervy missions and making the main character a "superblond" bimbo, did imho not help either. I mean there is Fat Princess which is actually not at all body shaming but could be attacked for whatever and than there is this cheap infantile garbage which should not be greenlit by a major company because it was maybe a fit in the 90s.
What I find most weird is that Sony Japan must have known that they have not been among the best studios of Sony for a while and Asobi was probably halfway finished with Rescue Mission, i.e. the game which was probably best in VR class until HL Alyx, and the old team still managed to just do this crap which was imho rightfully a failure as most of what they did the years prior. They had some smaller games that were alright but the studio somehow never migrated beyond PS2 era and was maybe the only japanese studio that never improved while other major studios certainly also struggled through PS3 times.
The visual design was alright, despite pop ins and bad view distance for collectibles and the soundtrack too, but god damn the game/creative director should have been replaced and the studio might have been saved.
Played it recently, so it is fresh in my annoyed mind. Sorry to miss the thread premise by a million miles.
I loved Remember Me
My initial thought. Not super duper crazy good, but a game that needs a sequel asap.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Outcast:

The game pioneered a lot of special effects like real-time shadows. Nowadays theres still a lot that you can appreciate in this game, like the musical score or the great sense adventure it gives off. Playing this today is kind of a fever dream-like experience.

While it's true that it had impressive visuals for its time, the gameplay in this thing is just awful. Even the remake version that they released several years ago is barely playable. The movement is so slow and the controls are just awful, I quit it out of pure boredom and frustration. It boggles my mind that it's so highly rated on Steam, must be nostalgia or something.

Top Bottom