• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite Werewolves on film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

Been meaning to ask you guys this for awhile now. I'm a huge werewolf nerd. I have many a fond feeling of watching werewolf B movies growing up. And like most things, some films stand above others but not always because it's a better film. What really gets me is the monster himself and the make-up/special effects.

I tend to like werewolf designs that favor a more beat-like appearance over Wolf-Man inspired designs (although REALLY good make-up will trump a more beast design with not as impressive special effects anyday).

One of my faves are of the werewolf in the film The Cabin in the Woods. Both in design and special effects. Very well done and I feel it really captures what I imagine to be the best of both worlds in a sense of werewolf design. A monster/beast with just the right touch of man. But not too much that it looks silly, or not that intimidating. The special effects are also top notch, and using mostly practical effects with just some computer (being used in this case to remove the actual actor's green-covered legs), so that the legs taper off and resemble that of a wolves' legs with the massive cow-hocks. It really gets the job done.

XWX7zPt.jpg

1SJlL63.jpg

Kbt7qEE.jpg

wgCInuZ.jpg

C2RePGt.jpg

Runner-up would be The Wolfman (2010) done by the legendary Rick Baker, himself. This is an instance for me where while the design choices are trumped by the brilliant makeup/special effects. Mr. Baker is a genius and it shows. He even applied the make-up for the film on himself as a test. It may even look better than Benicio del Toro's make-up on film!

My least favorite is the Lycans from the Underworld franchise. I couldn't even find one flattering image of this ugly beast. They just look terrible. Resembling giant diseased rats more than anything canid, these guys are scary for all the wrong reasons. Actually, if not for the mostly dark and dim shots they are shown in, they wouldn't be scary at all.

You can tell they tried to fix it with William's design (who is much better), but it doesn't save the others.

OzKFTmu.jpg

With all of that what are your favorite and least favorite Werewolves on Film?

American Werewolf in Paris. The first werewolf depiction since The Howling to be really intimidating. That jumpscare scene in the hospital...

Jaeger

I knew American Werewolf in London would be a fave. The special effects are marvelous (Rick Baker again), and the famous transformation scene to be especially wonderful. But the actual werewolf once transformed always left something to be desired for me. It's just not enough man (although a beast on all fours isn't a bad thing), and comes off a bit too cartoony for me.

The Howling 3, Rise of the Marsupials

howling31.jpg

I forgot this thing existed.

3585103548_cf467a75c2_o.gif

I kid, I kid.

This is no joking matter, sir! lol

Werewolves were always my favorite monster as a kid, but I'm not sure I have an absolute favorite. My tastes do tend to mesh with the OP's in that I like the more animalistic (but still bipedal) ones, although the Wolfman (but OG and Benicio versions) are still pretty iconic.

What movies have the best transformation scenes? An American Werewolf in London still has one of the best even though it's 35 years old.

Breads

Banned
Digitigrade works so much better on cute furry characters. The weight distribution just looks off in the legs of the first example.

I knew American Werewolf in London would be a fave. The special effects are marvelous (Rick Baker again), and the famous transformation scene to be especially wonderful. But the actual werewolf once transformed always left something to be desired for me. It's just not enough man (although a beast on all fours isn't a bad thing), and comes off a bit too cartoony for me.

I forgot this thing existed.

This is no joking matter, sir! lol

Yes I know, the movie is very silly, and often times, utterly ridaclousl. But come on! What other movie has giant were-kangaroo's fighting Australian special forces commandos with flamethrowers in the backwoods?

Ridli

It's definitely nostalgia but yeah American Werewolf in London for me as well. It just made such an impact at the time that it's hard for other projects to match that wow factor.

The right answer is probably American Werewolf in London but my person favorite is Werewolf Van Helsing

657d2cdef4003a272816948120b80568.gif
Van Helsing is a guilty pleasure for me, and the werewolves in that are great. They're kind of like the Hulk of werewolves, just big massive freight trains of claws and teeth

eh8awws.gif

My favorite is actually the werewolves from Van Helsing. Love the design.

I put a big middle finger up to most werewolves lately that just turn into big wolves.

I want to see some half man half wolf monster running around!

Everyone named the good ones I can think of (AWIL, Dog Soldiers, Ginger Snaps), so I'll go with a childhood fave, the 1980s series Werewolf.

gI6WFG4.jpg

Jaeger

My favorite is actually the werewolves from Van Helsing. Love the design.

I put a big middle finger up to most werewolves lately that just turn into big wolves.

I want to see some half man half wolf monster running around!

I agree. Which is why films like the Twilight series would never get any nod from me in that department.

cdyhybrid

William from Underworld looked pretty cool, too bad he went out like a punk.

Lucian was a better character.

Not film, but the werewolves
(and thus The Companions)
from Skyrim were pretty cool.

Underworld 1
Also I watched "An American Werewolf in London" when I was about 8,9 years old and I liked it, but I don't remember too much and should watch it again.

Remus Lupin in Prisoner of Azkaban was pretty good. It showcased pretty well how even under his own efforts and that of his friends, the wolf is just too strong. It was pretty nasty looking too, with its lanky, emaciated look.

Fenrir Greyback's awful "half-and-half" look sucked though.

Jaeger

For those of you who have not seen them, here is the werewolf from The Howling (1981), and Dog Soldiers.

And the one from Dog Soldiers;

I like the Howling Werewolf. Rick Baker was involved in it as well. Not a fan of the Dog Soldiers one (although I really liked the film).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom