• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheel of Time

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Even the logo desperately wants to be Game of Thrones.

yoo wen GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ehhhh, hard to say. All that magic often just looks bad. Thems some casting choices as well, I don't think I can tell who anyone is other than Moiriane and maybe Lan.

And did I spot a single frame of hair pulling?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Looking forward to checking out this fantasy series by Amazon.

Looks like every trailer I've seen since...a long ass time lol. Annoying because I'm instantly not interested while I sure as hell am very aware trailers are made as such to appease to the most people (ie simple) so it's always hard to pass judgement on it's merit alone. But yeah, like most shows, it's probably (87.98%) shit. If it turns out to be awesome I would be happy =)

The books became too bloated for my tastes around halfway through. This series will have to run for 50 seasons if they plan on cramming everything in there.
I'll definitely give it a watch to start, I really enjoyed the first 3 books.

FunkMiller

I thought these books were about some dude called the dragon reborn? I remember reading the first one ages ago. Dragons and shit.

This looks like a fantasy series about a bunch of female wizards... is that right?

Hari Seldon

I thought these books were about some dude called the dragon reborn? I remember reading the first one ages ago. Dragons and shit.

This looks like a fantasy series about a bunch of female wizards... is that right?

Yes. Super hyped for this. Robert Jordan is tops in fantasy world building other than Tolkien himself.

Hari Seldon

Both awesome shows. Even though it ended last year, I'd throw in Man in the High Castle in there too.

Hope Wheel of Time doesn't flop. I've heard amazing things about the books.

I think that modern critics are going to love it. The entire series takes place in a Matriarchal society. This isn't for woke points, it is a central part of the plot. As for the general audience, it hits the same political notes and ultra deep plot as GoT (probably even deeper), but without the torture and rape. But this is a product of its time, it invented most of the fantasy cliches in use today. So lots of hero ass heroes and not so many Tyrion Lannisters which is what made GoT so great.

Trunx81

Nobody played it, but there was a pretty cool Wheel of Time fps for pc back in the day.
I even payed good money for it.
Loved the books as a kid. Getting the right vibes from this show, a lot really looks like I imagined it. Especially the weaving of the one source. Can’t wait!

jason10mm

Gold Member
I just hope it doesn't end up being moody sullen men being bossed around by hyper-competent all-powerful women. All the characters in WoT were flawed and prone to fuck-ups. Entire books were the result of the inability of a couple of women to just sit down and have a rational conversation about how things need to be and how best to accomplish it.

I think Nynaeve in particular but all the main characters in general suffer from almost crippling imposter syndrome (well, maybe Rand most of all, at least early on) that could really make the transition to screen hard to do when you lose their internal voices (unless this series has a Lynch style Dune-esque narration) and are just left with their actions. Are the show writers and these young actors up to the task or will the older cast members get much more screen time to act as counterweight?

that looks really good!

i read the first book knowing this show was coming. i'm so freaking excited for this. i've only read the first book but i wonder why so much focus is being put on Moiraine? I thought the story was going to focus on Rand? Oh well doesn't really matter!

I'm going to buy the second book and hopefully will finish it in time for the show incase they do put some of that in the first season.

Last edited:
Even the logo desperately wants to be Game of Thrones.
how come?

the snake eating itself actually makes sense with the story of the books and has been used for years (long before GOT was even a show). google "wheel of time snake" and see. i don't see how it's copying game of thrones?

i know amazon want this show or the LOTR one to be "the next game of thrones" but i think you're stretching here.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

that looks really good!

i read the first book knowing this show was coming. i'm so freaking excited for this. i've only read the first book but i wonder why so much focus is being put on Moiraine? I thought the story was going to focus on Rand? Oh well doesn't really matter!

I'm going to buy the second book and hopefully will finish it in time for the show incase they do put some of that in the first season.

WoT is very much an ensemble story just like GoT which was heavily influenced by this. This is just the teaser trailer also. But Moraine is going to be the Eddard Stark character in season 1 who does all of the hero shit and acts as conduit to the viewer to explain what is going on as she explains it to the kids.

Looks like total junk to me. I vaguely remember reading the first 3-4 books and eventually giving up. I think I read a prequel too that at least had a little brevity on its side. Hopefully the show captures whatever the book fans are into but this one's not for me.

I'm still disappointed the video game isn't available to purchase digitally. One of the most original and innovate in the genre. Spells as offensive and defensive weapons, a female lead character and strategic tower defence multiplayer mode? Yes to all the above and more.

the-wheel-of-time-video-game-17dd269b-72df-4ecc-93eb-94b91ba88a1-resize-750.jpeg

SJRB

Gold Member
The cringiest shit, this trailer.

Is this directed at young adults? I've never heard of this series, but the trailer makes it seem it's YA.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

The cringiest shit, this trailer.

Is this directed at young adults? I've never heard of this series, but the trailer makes it seem it's YA.

Naw. This is from the age before the "young adult fantasy novel" craze, and it was huge.

I never finished it. How many books did the main series end up on? 13?

Something is off here.

i think its the casting.

cant wait for this. Really enjoy the books. I know itll clash and ruin whatever ive imagined though - esp the gleeman

aylt least there will be tons of magic and trollocs

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure this show will have no nudity so it will definitely feel more YAish given the characters. If they lean into all of the forlorn love triangle stuff it could really feel YA. There is so much content in Wot its hard to say.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
After watching the trailer again, I'm probably going to give this a try. I'm really pleased to see how racially diverse the series is.

This is the daddy of GoT. In fact GRRM credits Robert Jordan for jump starting the popularity of GoT by endorsing it, since Jordan was the top fantasy dog at the time.

Lol.

WoT is absolutely not the "daddy" of ASOIAF.

Martin has said that Robert's endorsement helped get the book out there, but ASOIAF would have been a hit with or without Jordan's endorsement on cover of GoT and CoK. Martin has also said that Jordan showed him that it was possible to write a fantasy series that went beyond a trilogy, but besides that ASOIAF and WoT are totally different. ASOIAF is more grounded as it's inspired by real historical events (War of the Roses for example), but with a fantasy overlay.

Burger

I know a few people who've spend the past few years working on this, and I thought it looked shit.

Obvs comparisons to GoT will be made, but the thing that stood out to me was the costume design. Looks awful, like a bunch of cosplayers with plastic swords and handmade princess costumes.

Hari Seldon

After watching the trailer again, I'm probably going to give this a try. I'm really pleased to see how racially diverse the series is.

Lol.

WoT is absolutely not the "daddy" of ASOIAF.

Martin has said that Robert's endorsement helped get the book out there, but ASOIAF would have been a hit with or without Jordan's endorsement on cover of GoT and CoK. Martin has also said that Jordan showed him that it was possible to write a fantasy series that went beyond a trilogy, but besides that ASOIAF and WoT are totally different. ASOIAF is more grounded as it's inspired by real historical events (War of the Roses for example), but with a fantasy overlay.
Using the word "daddy" is cliche but obviously WoT massively influenced GoT just like you said. WoT influenced all modern fantasy that intends to be some huge 5+ book series.

Hari Seldon

I know a few people who've spend the past few years working on this, and I thought it looked shit.

Obvs comparisons to GoT will be made, but the thing that stood out to me was the costume design. Looks awful, like a bunch of cosplayers with plastic swords and handmade princess costumes.

Yeah there is a lot of that criticism going around. But those costumes are accurate to the story. This fantasy world takes place not in the dark ages, but in a multicultural Age of Sail Renaissance era. Also the colors that the Aes Sedai are wearing in the trailer are important to the story and the setting.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Using the word "daddy" is cliche but obviously WoT massively influenced GoT just like you said. WoT influenced all modern fantasy that intends to be some huge 5+ book series.

Massively influence is a bit much. It showed George that he could write a fantasy series that was beyond three books, but George started writing ASOIAF in 1991, which was one year after the first WoT book had been published. To say that the massive scope of WoT massively influenced ASOIAF just isn't true.

George has always said that his biggest influence was the writings of Tolkien and medieval history.

If anything, if it wasn't for Tolkien, we wouldn't have either ASOIAF or WoT.

Burger

Yeah there is a lot of that criticism going around. But those costumes are accurate to the story. This fantasy world takes place not in the dark ages, but in a multicultural Age of Sail Renaissance era. Also the colors that the Aes Sedai are wearing in the trailer are important to the story and the setting.

Ain't nobody got time for that. The opening few scenes either showed everybody (in a Middle Ages style tavern mind) fresh from the laundrette. Either that or the wardrobe dept.

GoT won loads of awards for costume, this stuff looks like BBC's Merlin budget in comparison.

Trogdor1123

Currently reading Dragon reborn and this seems off to me. Quality looks great but this is supposed to be about Rand, this isn't about Rand. Casting looks bad, Perrin isn't that tall

Top Bottom