• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Does 'The Last of Us Part 1' Get Good? !!!!! Unmarked Spoilers Within !!!!!

Valentino

Does anyone ever even end up liking such hyped and beloved game years down the line? I find somethings need to be played at the time of release. I hate people using ‘overhyped’ and ‘under hyped’ - but LoU was massive hype and made a legacy. So anyone going in to it 8 years later riding on the hype coat tales, it may not hit the same cord.

Royal-Slime

Banned
Like i said... when i develop a game and i tell my character designers to create some "Females" and i get this based on their personal views....

...then i would ask them "How creating boys has anything to do with my request for females?".

After that they would get a second chance before i fire them or i have to hire new designers.

I'll take masculine women over feminine, thanks.

Velius

Banned
I AM CURRENTLY IN PITTSBURG : PLEASE KEEP THE SPOILERS LIMITED PAST THE FIRST SET PIECE OF PITTSBURGH IF POSSIBLE
Sorry for the caps but I'm trying to keep this as spoiler free as possible regarding anything past the first big set piece of Pittsburgh as I am currently dealing with the local gang after a bit of wandering around.

Somehow I managed to remain spoiler free for TLOU:1 and started paying the Remastered version in October.
I don't enjoy the combat so I reduced the difficulty to Easy after the woman got iced so I could get through these parts and fast forward to the narrative.
Being spoiler free I really enjoyed the first ~20 min of the game but after that I have lost interest in the game because of the unsatisfying gameplay and narrative I don't really care for.

I think I gave this game a fair shake, but maybe the narrative will really pick up and really grip me in the near future, but maybe I'm wasting my time and thus far I have experienced everything this game has to offer.

Thoughts?
Should I keep going?
Am I feeling this way because reality is a bit bleak and the game is hitting 'too close to home' and I should try picking it up again later?
Is there a story beat I should get to before throwing in the towel?
ND has one game. One. They reskin it and improve it with each iteration. If you didn't like the Uncharted games odds are you won't like LoU.

Btw I'm not insulting ND. Bethesda is the same way. TES and Fallout are the same game. It's just a style of development.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I think it was about halfway through that I really started to like the game. I had tried it once before and not liked it. I gave it another chance and stuck with it, and I'm glad I did. It was a well-done story, with memorable characters and a couple of stand-out moments. I never did like the combat and stealth mechanics all that much, or the enemy encounters. It was the characters and story that held it together for me.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Agree with OP. After years of hearing about this game finally forced myself to play but gave up after 5-6 hours. Just not an interesting story and the gameplay was boring. Hearing that Joel is “a piece of shit” by lovers of the second game was the final reason to drop the game entirely. I would much rather play Uncharted 4.

ethomaz

Banned
WOW this thread.

Because the hate on TLOU2 now even TLOU become a woke discussion lol
I don't see politics in either game but whatever fits the hate.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
I AM CURRENTLY IN PITTSBURG : PLEASE KEEP THE SPOILERS LIMITED PAST THE FIRST SET PIECE OF PITTSBURGH IF POSSIBLE
Sorry for the caps but I'm trying to keep this as spoiler free as possible regarding anything past the first big set piece of Pittsburgh as I am currently dealing with the local gang after a bit of wandering around.

Somehow I managed to remain spoiler free for TLOU:1 and started paying the Remastered version in October.
I don't enjoy the combat so I reduced the difficulty to Easy after the woman got iced so I could get through these parts and fast forward to the narrative.
Being spoiler free I really enjoyed the first ~20 min of the game but after that I have lost interest in the game because of the unsatisfying gameplay and narrative I don't really care for.

I think I gave this game a fair shake, but maybe the narrative will really pick up and really grip me in the near future, but maybe I'm wasting my time and thus far I have experienced everything this game has to offer.

Thoughts?
Should I keep going?
Am I feeling this way because reality is a bit bleak and the game is hitting 'too close to home' and I should try picking it up again later?

TLOU1 is an oscar bait game equivalent but it's not a bad game at all and not the masterpiece many people want to believe it is.

angrod14

Thoughts?
Should I keep going?

If you didn't feel moved by the time Tess died, let's just say this game isn't for you.

Last edited:

sainraja

I had trouble getting into the game, specially the first few hours of playing. I wouldn't say the game became my favorite game of all time later but I did get more interested in it in the later chapters (enough to want to finish it.) It was really hard for me to relate to Joel and his loss given how it was introduced so early on. Don't get me wrong, I know losing a young kid, specially your own child will be devastating no matter what but I think we needed to spend just a little more time with them. I can't believe how long it has been since I played but I did come to enjoy the gameplay (really hated those stupid water plank sequences). I think the backstory of Joel should have been introduced to us via flashbacks or something.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I find these kind of threads really interesting because it sounds like some people are FORCING themselves to play and enjoy a game. If you're playing a game and you don't enjoy it or don't feel like you're having fun then maybe it just isn't for you. Put it down and move onto something else that you feel is more fulfilling. That way you're not just wasting time on something that isn't deserving of it.

A lot of games get high praise, but that doesn't necessarily mean that high praise is something you may be into or agree with.

Last edited:
That's the problem, the game is more fun on hard or above without the wall vision thing (use your own eyes and ears to orient yourself).

Also, if you don't like the story there is nothing I can do for you.

Vick

The first time i've played it, three or four hours after that awesome intro, i started to question what was the reason behind all that hype (this game got the very first 10/10 on two different outlets in my country).. but the game gets better and better the more you play and when it peaks it absolutely blew my mind.

I also loved the gameplay at the time because it was everything i wanted RE6 to be, same for the lore, the art, the music, the sound..

But i think you should drop it, i feel it's not for you.

Vandole

I enjoyed it pretty much right from the start, though a friend who is less impressed with the game really didn't get into it until The third segment - "Fall." So I would suggest you press on at least through the end of the Pittsburgh segment.

Also, be sure to try the online mode, Factions. I don't know how active the community for the game is these days, but it's one of my favorite online modes and something I recommend everyone check out.

TransTrender

Gold Member
You've played 20 minutes of it on easy. No shit you don't like it. Try taking some ADD meds, turn the difficulty back up and keep going.
Nah, I played it for a few hours on Normal and turned it down to Easy in the second or third part of the Tess setpiece. My previous MO was to try and get a near perfect execution of each scenario but I didn't find that satisfying at all.
What games do you generally play?
Lots but usually avoid the big EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Blizzard, and Bethesda games as well as annual franchises.
Over the past few weeks on the PS4/PS5:
Inside, Limbo, Galak Z, Skulls of the Shogun, Blood and Truth VR, Concrete Genie, Ghosts of Tsushima, Hyper Light Drifter, Metal Wolf Chaos XD, Crash 4, and I'm probably finishing the Medievil remake today.
Short list is The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus Remake, Nier Automata, Spiderman, H:ZD, and FFVII:R. All will be on the PS5.
trans trender feeling it's not woke enough like the second
I'm soo triggered rn
Does anyone ever even end up liking such hyped and beloved game years down the line? I find somethings need to be played at the time of release. I hate people using ‘overhyped’ and ‘under hyped’ - but LoU was massive hype and made a legacy. So anyone going in to it 8 years later riding on the hype coat tales, it may not hit the same cord.
Yes, all the time.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Should I keep going?
I'm gonna tell you the truth that nobody dares to face. This game is one of the most boring games I've played.
I think it was about halfway through that I really started to like the game. I had tried it once before and not liked it. I gave it another chance and stuck with it, and I'm glad I did. It was a well-done story, with memorable characters and a couple of stand-out moments. I never did like the combat and stealth mechanics all that much, or the enemy encounters. It was the characters and story that held it together for me.
Yeah, like almost at the end of the game and only because of the story. The gameplay it's so fucking boring, it blows my mind how could this be a 10/10 for anyone. I hadn't played videogames since the GC era and the last of us was my first game when I started playing again, horrible game. TLOU 2 on the other hand is fucking amazing. Gameplay is su much better.

Last edited:

Terenty

When you hear this combination of words "Sony cinematic experience" know that it means "sucked off dry by journalists, but completely mediocre". Will be easier with purchase decisions later on.

Bramble

If you don't enjoy the combat, find another hobby I guess? The combat is really good., especially for a 2013 game. Part II combat is even way better. You can go full on berserk with melee weapons or shoot dudes, or you can go stealth throwing shit around distracting and strangling enemies or take them hostage, or you can just avoid them at all. Crafting in real time really adds to the tention. All that controls extremely smooth and intuitive with state of the art animations. I really can't understand that people don't like the gameplay. I respect it, but I don't get it. All ND games play like a dream. They feel so damn smooth and it all looks so natural, like you're watching a cutscene. The gameplay is one of the main reasons I played through this game like 6 or 7 times.

Go play TW3 or RDR2 and compare that to this. It's a world of difference.

Krisprolls

Banned
Just fucking play the game through or quit. I find these threads so pointless.

Yes, it's like people think their opinion is superior or something.

What are we supposed to answer? Even the best game in the world won't be loved by everybody.

The game is acknowledged as one of the greatest of all times, it sold tons of copies, it got tons of awards, nothing will change because someone disagrees somewhere.

I'm not sure what people expect they'll achieve with those threads.

Last edited:

spawn

"Game videos"
Huh? Tell me what you mean by a game and game videos? if you're talking about the amount of cutscenes those are just to move the narrative along. There is still lots of gameplay in last of us part 1

Last edited:
Gameplay is very good, if you don't like it it's just not for you.

That said you are at the slowest point in the story at the minute. It picks up and up as it goes.

Not sure if your bothered to try it but I'd actually say play the game in the highest difficulty.

Ammo is supposed to be scarce. Stealth is supposed to be required etc.

It's not a game to be all guns blazing although on easy you can do that.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Yes, it's like people think their opinion is superior or something.

What are we supposed to answer? Even the best game in the world won't be loved by everybody.

The game is acknowledged as one of the greatest of all times, it sold tons of copies, it got tons of awards, nothing will change because someone disagrees somewhere.

I'm not sure what people expect they'll achieve with those threads.
I'm mostly looking for the, 'Just make it to xyz, every thing picks up speed after that' or 'Nah, give it up, you've seen it all and if it hasn't clicked yet then it won't.'

I seriously don't get the derision when it's a pretty straight forward question for someone looking for opinions from actual game enthusiasts on a game message board and not some journos who might be having a collective wank fest over the game while smelling their own farts.

As of now I'll try this again after I finish The Last Guardian. My plan is to first see if I can finish out this city and if I do, then evaluate my feelings if I want to continue further.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I'm mostly looking for the, 'Just make it to xyz, every thing picks up speed after that' or 'Nah, give it up, you've seen it all and if it hasn't clicked yet then it won't.'

I seriously don't get the derision when it's a pretty straight forward question for someone looking for opinions from actual game enthusiasts on a game message board and not some journos who might be having a collective wank fest over the game while smelling their own farts.

As of now I'll try this again after I finish The Last Guardian. My plan is to first see if I can finish out this city and if I do, then evaluate my feelings if I want to continue further.
People don't like the world order questioned. You aren't alone. I thought it was a decent enough story that hit its peak around 10 hours in with repetitive gameplay. It never really got better. We are obviously in the minority though.

if you post opinions that are contrary to the obvious talking points though, be prepared for oncoming onslaught.

For example if I posted I thought God of War was a linear repetitive 3rd person action hack-a-thon, there will be a large segment of people who will take this as a personal affront and do everything they can to prove it otherwise. Meanwhile, missing the entire point.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
People should realize that if you're picking up the game years down the road and found it unsatisfying then the game is not designed for you but the many millions who played it and enjoyed it around the time it released.

Folks with LTTP: This Game Sucks posts tend to be attention seekers whose tastes are completely the opposite of those in the fiscal sales window of a game and really have little to add. People who want an adventure game will buy an adventure game upfront but latecomers who don't will play a popular title because its popular. They will then wish it contained elements that is everything other than the core aspect of the game.

If the gameplay and the narrative aren't hitting with you, then it might just not be for you. Just cause a game is acclaimed does not mean it's for everyone. There are quite a few "great" games that I've played that I did not enjoy that much. Gave them a shot cause of all the hype and acclaim they received, but they just weren't for me.

Also, in all honesty it's an old game. I don't think this game will hit as hard in 2020 like it did back then. Games have evolved.

Last edited:

Self

For example if I posted I thought God of War was a linear repetitive 3rd person action hack-a-thon, there will be a large segment of people who will take this as a personal affront and do everything they can to prove it otherwise. Meanwhile, missing the entire point.

I think it depends on who is saying what. Fanbots will say whatever is necessary to discredit a game/genre/plattform. With this background knowledge of superficial nonsense talk people are very sensitiv to critism. Genuwine discussion are scars as water in the desert.

Also it doesn't help that fanbots regularly enter topics and threads they are not interested in to 'make a point.'

xrnzaaas

TLoU1 should've spiked your interest in the first few hours with the story and two main characters, as well as demanding encounters (but that requires playing at least on hard). It doesn't suddenly get better later on.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Story should hook you from the beginning and get more engaging as you go. Gameplay... eehhhh.. it is okay.

GenericUser

It has it's moments, but it's overall an experience not worth your time. I recommend playing better games. Last of Us only gets so much hype and attention because it's a sony exclusive. If this game was a multi platform game, no one would bat an eye.

Shmunter

It has it's moments, but it's overall an experience not worth your time. I recommend playing better games. Last of Us only gets so much hype and attention because it's a sony exclusive. If this game was a multi platform game, no one would bat an eye.
Not for me. Game made me re-evaluate what gaming can be.

Proper writing and narrative front and centre instead of being thrown together by an intern on a napkin during their coffee break - that’s what most games are, even today.

Supremely polished, sense of progress through a beautifully bleak world.

Great gameplay arguably tuned for a hard difficulty and spoilt by ‘easy’ options that should never have been implemented.

10/10

Kerotan

The game must isn't for you. You are far into it however so just keep going and you'll be finished soonish.

Kadayi

Banned
It's a cool game, for the most part, just undermined by characters dogged insistence to wear wholly inappropriate clothing for fighting enemies who can basically infect you super easily. Still more egregious in the sequel, so YMMV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shmunter

It's a cool game, for the most part, just undermined by characters dogged insistence to wear wholly inappropriate clothing for fighting enemies who can basically infect you super easily. Still more egregious in the sequel, so YMMV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There’s the agility and mobility aspect. And experience.

TLoU1 should've spiked your interest in the first few hours with the story and two main characters, as well as demanding encounters (but that requires playing at least on hard). It doesn't suddenly get better later on.
Story does, after Joel gets hurt. That's when I started to like the game. Gameplay sucks ass, no matter what difficulty you play on.

Story should hook you from the beginning and get more engaging as you go. Gameplay... eehhhh.. it is okay.
The thing is you have to play a lot to get a little glimpse at the story. And when gameplay is not good (seems like uncharted but slower), then the game gets so boring until you get to a cutscene.

Kadayi

Banned
There’s the agility and mobility aspect. And experience.

Don't try and handwave that shit dude. It's dumb as hammers. No ones saying that people in the game should be wearing tactical body armour 24/7 but at the very least some arm and hand covering to fend off bites would make a tonne of sense.

Top Bottom