• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will Google shut down Stadia?

When will Google shut down Stadia?

• One month

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Six months

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • One year

Votes: 71 27.2%
  • Two years

Votes: 94 36.0%
  • Three years

Votes: 33 12.6%
  • Longer than three years

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • Never

Votes: 13 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It hasn't even officially launched and been fully rejected yet. They will keep it going at least a couple of years into the next console cycle before Microsoft, and probably Sony, too, launch far better offerings for cloud play and everyone just forgets Stadia even exists.

Eimran

You People are just haters
wdre3Cn.jpg

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Considering it already appears DOA I give it under a year. If that are major improvements I could see it going a few more years.

wipeout364

It really depends on whether it is achieving their goals. Google unlike Sony doesn’t really care if they make money directly off this project. What is google’s end goal?

Data and advertising, knowing more about you and what you do; then selling that data and directing advertising.

Think about google maps, google docs, gmail none of these directly are money makers but they support googles company vision. So time will tell if there is enough data to be collected in this thing called Stadia..

A.Romero

I think it will last for years.

Google has the server farms for Google Cloud so most likely their costs for keeping the service running are not so high. Meaning if that compute power is not used for Stadia, it will just be repurposed. If demand increases so will the service revenue.

Unlike previous services that were shut down, this one doesn't really depend on traffic or lacks a proper business model (like their messaging apps, for example).

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
How long did Google+ last before they realized not enough people cared? I'd say a time range similar to that.

Zimmy68

It really depends on whether it is achieving their goals. Google unlike Sony doesn’t really care if they make money directly off this project. What is google’s end goal?

Data and advertising, knowing more about you and what you do; then selling that data and directing advertising.

Think about google maps, google docs, gmail none of these directly are money makers but they support googles company vision. So time will tell if there is enough data to be collected in this thing called Stadia..

It would be difficult to come back from the epic failure of this launch without completely changing their business model, which would cost them plenty.

wipeout364

It would be difficult to come back from the epic failure of this launch without completely changing their business model, which would cost them plenty.
That was my point, their business model is not how many units can we move or games we can sell. Since when has google ever cared about being a retailer. People are saying this launch was botched but I think they planned a slow rollout to test if their tech was ready for prime time.

Google could at anytime go full Disney plus with a ridiculously low price subscription model and a vast library of games but they wouldn’t have been able to handle the traffic and deliver the experience they want.

I am not saying that in 12 months they say this is bullshit and throw it all in the dumpster, I just think you are fooling yourself if you think this is about competing with PlayStation and Xbox, they have a much different agenda.

Woo-Fu

Banned
They could leave it running indefinitely without putting any more effort into it., particularly if crazy people are still paying monthly.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That was my point, their business model is not how many units can we move or games we can sell. Since when has google ever cared about being a retailer. People are saying this launch was botched but I think they planned a slow rollout to test if their tech was ready for prime time.

Google could at anytime go full Disney plus with a ridiculously low price subscription model and a vast library of games but they wouldn’t have been able to handle the traffic and deliver the experience they want.

I am not saying that in 12 months they say this is bullshit and throw it all in the dumpster, I just think you are fooling yourself if you think this is about competing with PlayStation and Xbox, they have a much different agenda.

Where are they getting the games from? Disney owns all the content on Disney+. Xbox GamePass is full of games MS created and old games already made. Nothing exists on Google. Who is going to port their game to Stadia and then let Google devalue it with a cheap subscription?

Reallink

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that Stadia isn't for Neogaf/REEEEE. It's not for people who preordered an X/Pro 6 months in advance, it's not for people who buy $600-$1500 for GPU's, and it's not for people who buy TV's/Monitors based on their input lag. Stadia is for Football_Hero_69 who buys/plays nothing but Fifa/Madden/NBA2K every year. It's for your Giantbomb Abby's who is constantly complaining about her crappy PC, still has a base Xbone, and admittedly doesn't know what Game Mode or Input Lag is. You guys are experiencing what audio/videophile enthusiast forums experienced decade(s) ago when inferior streaming solutions threatened to upend CD's and Blurays. You can almost verbatim substitute in the same arguments, "No one's going to pay $6 to rent a compressed to shit stream when Netflix ships Blurays for less than $1"..."No one's going to pay $15 for an MP3 album that sounds like a Tin Can"..."No one's going to pay $60 for a laggy, compressed to shit Tomb Raider when Walmart sells the Xbone X version for $15." Unfortunately the broader population is largely ignorant to matters of quality or value, they place convenience and ease of use over everything and will gladly pay more for objectively inferior goods to get it. Whether it is Stadia or not, streaming owning 95% of the gaming market is inevitable. Physical consoles, PC's, and discs will just be a niche of weirdos like Vinyl's.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We've seen streaming work for Netflix, Hulu etc. streaming may be the model going forward.

Pejo

Gold Member
I'm offended, I'm going to use my Google Glass to log into my Google + account and complain about this.

JLB

Banned
I've never seen Google Cemetery before. This is fascinating to click through, haha. Thanks for sharing.
Some of them hurts lol. I mean, Goggles was kind of fun, and Youtube Gaming (even only for the dark theme) was worth using it.

Coflash

To celebrate, I will buy a $40 Steam game for whoever ends up being the closest

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I think it will last for years.

Google has the server farms for Google Cloud so most likely their costs for keeping the service running are not so high. Meaning if that compute power is not used for Stadia, it will just be repurposed. If demand increases so will the service revenue.

Unlike previous services that were shut down, this one doesn't really depend on traffic or lacks a proper business model (like their messaging apps, for example).

They had the servers for all the other death products on the cementery. They didnt care. Stadia is just another afterthought.

mcjmetroid

We've seen streaming work for Netflix, Hulu etc. streaming may be the model going forward.
Ya but Netflix doesn't make you pay a subscription fee AND buy a movie seperately.

Google bottled this.. completely. I'll give it 2 years.

There will be a time for streaming games but it has to be done better than this.

JimboJones

It doesn't really cost Google much to run Stadia, the infrastructure is there already so it should be OK for a good while.
They will evolve it going forward before pulling the plug. It will be interesting that's for sure.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Poor stadia can't get a break on gaf. Let it die in peace.

I know people that worked on G+, and the objectives of it were much more aligned to the root projects of google (you know, defining a user graph, integrate all the other silos, ads, etc). Stadia is not even close to the cows that make money for Google.
Anyway, don't want to be uber-pessimistic, but I don't understand how they will make this product relevant when it doesn't even have an amateur marketing campaign to support it? How the potential consumer segments that Stadia is supposedly targeted to are going to even know that exists?

Last edited:
As someone who purchased one, I give it about a year. This entire launch has been horrible, and there is no way this business model will work. I'm guessing maybe two years tops, as they may come to their senses and try to get a "GamePass model" going, but I think it will be too late by that time, especially if xCloud comes out of beta.

*Nightwing

I know people that worked on G+, and the objectives of it were much more aligned to the root projects of google (you know, defining a user graph, integrate all the other silos, ads, etc). Stadia is not even close to the cows that make money for Google.
Anyway, don't want to be uber-pessimistic, but I don't understand how they will make this product relevant when it doesn't even have an amateur marketing campaign to support it? How the potential consumer segments that Stadia is supposedly targeted to are going to even know that exists?
I used to have a similar thought asking myself why google is trying to enter a well established console market, but i think your post highlights their possible motives: Im sure they view the home console market as an untapped consumer data gathering market. No matter how much they loose up front, they will make it back exponentially when selling all the consumer data they gather in the long run. And they will tweak the technology more and more until it becomes passable to the casual gamer and then throw freebies in to keep a userbase to collect and sell data off of.

Top Bottom