• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are my next gen mosou games?

Beechos

I've been in the mood to feel like a God and mindlessly destroy entire armies by myself in next gen glory. Where is my next gen dynasty warriors? Any recommendations for anything that scratches this itch with some nice eye candy? It could be on xbox series, ps5 or pc since I have a decent machine with a 3070. I'll leave the switch out since I want some decent eye candy unless it's a must play.

I remember this used to be a genre that would show off new system capabilites.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Senran Kagura for life
:messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

147557252777.jpg

Katatonic

Yeah, last one I was interested enough to sink my teeth into was Berserk: Band of the Hawk. It runs 60 fps on PS5.

I miss the badass Dynasty Warriors where they didn't feel so re-iterative. They really need a new take while deepening the arcade hack n slash meets strategy elements.

I love musou games!
Sengoku Basara is one of my favorites series ever!

For Ps4 you can try Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi, Dragon Quest heroes 1 and 2, Berserk, Warriors all stars, Fist of North Star Lost Paradise, Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star, Fate/Extella Link, Gintama Rumble, Senran Kagura Estival Versus, Senran Kagura Re:newal...

For the actual gen, there's none. Sad.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'd say Elden Ring is the best Berserk game ever made, fight me :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_grinning_smiling:
Nah it's still the PS2 Berserk: Millennium Falcon. Side story, canon inbetween chapters in the Manga and attacks had weight to them.

---------

That said the best Musou games are indeed Senran Kagura along with Hyrule Warriors/Calamity, Berserk, Warriors Orochi 3, Samurai Warriors-II, and a long ass time ago Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3.

Such a shame Senran Kagura is effectively dead in the water and 7even will never see the light of day. All because Busty Ninja Girls are too sexy for the world at large. Daidoji forever.

god, I hate those games so much... mindless 1 button mashing against copy&paste bunch of enemies that weight as much as a ping pong ball

can't believe people still bought that shit every year
You don't know what u talking about, and more: The real purpose of musou games.

I still think its better than some *PrAiSeD* games: do 3x hits, roll, moonwalk...*repeat*...

Last edited:
I ended up picking up most of the musou games on Switch to keep me busy while waiting for info on Dynasty Warriors 10, 9 was too naff.

Yeah the last title that impressed me (for its time) was:

Also such a shame that Xbox is getting exclusives like this anymore.

It still irks me this game isn't backwards compatible considering its published by Microsoft Game Studios

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I've been in the mood to feel like a God and mindlessly destroy entire armies by myself in next gen glory. Where is my next gen dynasty warriors? Any recommendations for anything that scratches this itch with some nice eye candy?
There are no current gen musou games, but warriors orochi 4 and one piece pirate warriors 4 are the latest ones.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The feeling of destroying armies of enemies goes flat the second you notice all of the characters are mindlessly standing around so you can hit them.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The weapon animations/physics in that game is incredible. Seeing Guts get dragged out by the weight of the swings, or how moves change depending on what came before it. Amazing.
And the iconic fights were choreographed to be a exact replica of the fights in the manga. Move for move.

MiguelItUp

guts-berserk.gif

We got the best Berserk and AoT games ever made.
Hokuto No Ken / Fist of the Northstar too! I wish they'd just remaster all of them and rerelease them.

I'm not a HUGE musou fan, but man, I ADORE Berserk AND Hokuto No Ken, so, they forever have my respect for those alone.

Lmfao fuck off, best Berserk game was the PS2 DMC clone, absolutely perfect. directional attacks, Dragonslayer is heavy and slices enemies to pieces, actually pretty deep combat system.
Musou Berserk doesnt even come close…
VERY true. But when it comes to Berserk games that came stateside. There was Sword of the Berserk on Dreamcast, and Berserk (musou). It's an easy choice, haha. But I still love Sword of the Berserk a lot, especially since it is what brought me onto Berserk in the first place.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Hokuto No Ken / Fist of the Northstar too! I wish they'd just remaster all of them and rerelease them.

I'm not a HUGE musou fan, but man, I ADORE Berserk AND Hokuto No Ken, so, they forever have my respect for those alone.

VERY true. But when it comes to Berserk games that came stateside. There was Sword of the Berserk on Dreamcast, and Berserk (musou). It's an easy choice, haha. But I still love Sword of the Berserk a lot, especially since it is what brought me onto Berserk in the first place.
Tbf Berserk has done pretty well in terms if game adaptations, at least compared to a lot of iconic manga and anime.
Why From havent been tapped to make a actual Berserk game is beyond me at this point 😩

MiguelItUp

Tbf Berserk has done pretty well in terms if game adaptations, at least compared to a lot of iconic manga and anime.
Why From havent been tapped to make a actual Berserk game is beyond me at this point 😩
Agreed! Yeah, I'm guessing there's a reason why Miyazaki hasn't done it yet, probably something with the IP. I mean, the games he's done are everything BUT the IP, haha. SOOOOO many references, I love it so much. But yeah, I'd love it if From could get the license. God that'd be insane.

Gojiira

Agreed! Yeah, I'm guessing there's a reason why Miyazaki hasn't done it yet, probably something with the IP. I mean, the games he's done are everything BUT the IP, haha. SOOOOO many references, I love it so much. But yeah, I'd love it if From could get the license. God that'd be insane.
Alternatively Capcom. They have the know how for good combat systems, plus Dragons Dogma is a pretty good framework for a more RPG focused experience. Think they could do a good job.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wish Capcom milked their Sengoku Basara/Samurai Heroes as much as Koei did Warriors, their gameplay base is much more varied and fun (though not without its own issues) and they could have developed some amazing games in other styles and themes while continuing the main branch too.

Last edited:

CamHostage

DW9 was stunningly ugly and unplayable for me on PS4, and I just fell off. I felt like I couldn't see anything!

Too bad, because the open-world concept really grabbed me, I liked the layout of the lands in screenshot before it came out, character models were nice given the scale of combat, I was all ready for it... and then I played it and I could barely see pickups in the hazy landscape and clumsy vegetation system; I was navigating almost completely by pointing arrows. And because of the switch to open-world and a sustained warfare system as opposed to set levels, I'm pretty sure you really have to mine collectibles and wander around exploring even though the meat of the series is in its battles. Combat looked okay (but with a ton of distance motion blur) but there was still no variation to characters so impacts on huge armies looked goofier than ever when 50 dudes all bend at the waist at the same time from a bowstaff hit.

Maybe it works better in Empires or on PS5, but that game just shoved me off of the whole series. I can still enjoy DW on old PlayStations or Vita, it's not like I'm a graphics snob. (Maybe a cartoony open-world Musou like Dragon Quest Heroes 2 might hold up better? I'm almost tempted to check out DW9 Empires on Switch since the graphic simplification might actually make it less visually noisy?) For whatever reason, DW9 hurt to play and I abandoned it after just a few missions. And my interest in getting back into another Musou is unfortunately pretty low because of it.

CamHostage

I wish Capcom milked their Sengoku Basara/Samurai Heroes as much as Koei did Warriors, their gameplay base is much more varied and fun (though not without its own issues) and they could have developed some amazing games in other styles and themes while continuing the main branch too.

It's never happening, but I kind of wish Genki could have done a sequel or "remaster" to their wild Demon Chaos 65,000 enemies PS2 game. The core game isn't always mile-wide fields of enemies to slaughter (that was really just the demo which had that arcade-style combo mode) but the main game still had cool experiments with tech at the time and actually some interesting gameplay systems.

dech4.gif

(...And I just called DW9 ugly? Somehow though, this game is visually charming even if it's super-boxy and full of blur.)

Last edited:

Beechos

It's never happening, but I kind of wish Genki could have done a sequel or "remaster" to their wild Demon Chaos 65,000 enemies PS2 game. The core game isn't always mile-wide fields of enemies to slaughter (that was really just the demo which had that arcade-style combo mode) but the main game still had cool experiments with tech at the time and actually some interesting gameplay systems.

dech4.gif

(...And I just called DW9 ugly? Somehow though, this game is visually charming even if it's super-boxy and full of blur.)
Wtf this is literally vampire survivors in 3d

Doczu

Well give it some time. Musou games tend to get repetetive,but the AoT one is superb. They made something incredible!

MiguelItUp

Alternatively Capcom. They have the know how for good combat systems, plus Dragons Dogma is a pretty good framework for a more RPG focused experience. Think they could do a good job.
Very true! The Dragon's Dogma preorder included Berserk related items too, so it was pretty on the nose as well, hahaha.

Top Bottom