• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do cancelled people go? There are more and more of them.

Lunk

Trial by community and anarchy, and lynching, not just a bunch of A-list old-fart Hollywood people have gotten cancelled, but increasingly it's the small fries in any industry that are called out over increasingly trivial things, but the threshold for "okayness" has shrunk so much that even somewhat innocuous or clumsy acts are being seen as monstrous. People get cancelled left and right now by morons, but the morons are many, and the many decide the outcome for everyone else, including the silent majority or the most oppressed guys.

Note, I'm not saying every cancel was unjustified. If Michael Jackson hadn't died, I think by now his rumored pedophilia would have been re-examined by court, and obviously Kevin Spacey, Jefferey Epstein and others got rightfully persecuted in my opinion... however, things such as the recent Angry Joe claim, the NeoGAF original schism and more, it's events where some guy made a move, but it was the worst timing or it wasn't pre-emptively known that this would go poorly... but somehow the idea that you're being a predator is so determined by the wokies that it's a definitive "crime".

With that threshold decreasing and more and more losing their careers or their way of life, where do they go? I think this is something leftist purists have never considered at all. They just want you gone, so they can have their pure ideology undistorted, In the end I think by now there must be hundreds if not thousands of big-name cancelled people who are actually talented, and I doubt they'll just sit twiddling their thumbs forever. Years from now that could rise to hundreds of thousands, and at some point I believe cancel culture will bit itself in the ass. I'm just looking forward to that, but I wanted to ask you guys how you see the long-term of this popularized form of hate-mobbing turning out over the years?

PS. I know this involves politics but I actually consider this and general "wokeness" to have gone beyond politics. It's people and it's behavior, not everything we see right now is some concentrated effort for political emancipation, even if that is a part of it.

Birdo

Banned
SocietyFleshOrgy.png

nush

Actually they go to a "Church" to get the support and learning they need. Except the "Church" is just a place they can stay for 12-18 months while having their every need taken care of before the emerge back into the public eye a better and rehabilitated person. This church is somewhere in Arizona I believe.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
its like asking what happens to you on a daily basis, OP. no one cares (anymore).

Last edited:
Well if there are enough of them eventually you'll have unapologetic racists and people will cheer them on. The left is constantly in danger of creating the monsters they claim to fight.

Remember that episode on South Park about Randy being one of the N**** guys, when he said it on wheel of fortune? I imagine it's something like that lmao.

GAMETA

Banned
Unless they're really famous and unless they're accused of a real crime, I'd say they can still live a normal life.

If a dude like Angry Joe gets cancelled, I bet he could easily find a job somewhere else, don't you think?

You overestimate Twitter and the gossip media. Fuck them, there's a real world away from all that bs.

Unless they're really famous and unless they're accused of a real crime, I'd say they can still live a normal life.

If a dude like Angry Joe gets cancelled, I bet he could easily find a job somewhere else, don't you think?

You overestimate Twitter and the gossip media. Fuck them, there's a real world away from all that bs.

I took a class in college where they had us look at people's social media in order to determine who we might not hire based on pictures or information they disclosed. This was way before all of the sjw stuff went off the rails. Not all employers do it, but what is out there about you on social media can cost you jobs.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
If you think of the internet as a utility, a necessary service you need for work and life in modern times, then the urge to deplatform seems incredibly draconian.

For instance, what if the phone company could shut off your service for saying the wrong things on the phone? Or what if your water was turned off because you were accused of misusing it? Or if you lost the ability to have any power because of who you voted for?

Nobody would stand for that shit. Mass outrage. Yet apparently it’s fine to want to push people off digital platforms. It’s complete bullshit.

Last edited:
This got me thinking on something I came across the other day.

Someone created a facebook group about neonazis to gather info on them, then after having what he deemed necessary regarding a bunch of US neonazis, he revealed his true intentions:

"Got you, scum! Now I have all your personal information and will expose you as new age nazi scum to your employers, families, friends and social circles so you are fired, never get a job again and are forever isolated from the rest of society.'

I am, in terms of politics, close to what you can call an anarchist.

I wont shed a tear, obviously, for any of those guys, or any person like that.

All the same, dozens of north-american neonazis with access to guns, no work, no income, isolated... Yeah, what can go wrong, right?!

That really got me feeling that 'cancellation' is NEVER a positive thing, even if we are talking about the scum of the earth.

Proper punishment. (Re)Education. Teraphy. Formation. Change.

Top Bottom