• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where may one find out the potential dates for Sony's next major event? (Updated Poll)

when???

• Total voters
Everything you’ve ever wanted from Sony was going to come, those blaming Jim Ryan all these years were going to eat their words… too bad MS ruined everything! ;)

So...Sony is delaying the October show that they had already planned due to an investigation for an acquisition that happened in january already, lmao.

These "insiders" are always amusing. As if 1st party IPs and exclusive games would change any outcome for the Activision acquisition :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sony has announced 2 exclusive games from 3rd party publishers on their latest State of Play alone...clearly that's not an issue, lol.

Since microsoft announced their potential purchase of Activision/Blizzard, Sony have:

• Acquired Bungie
  • Acquired Haven Studios
  • Acquired Savage Games
  • Announced Team Ninja Exclusive
  • Announced Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth exclusive
  • Announced Stellar Blade exclusive
  • Multiple Resident Evil VR exclusives
  • Released 3 1st party exclusives
  • Released 4 timed exclusives
But now they’re suddenly bashful about it

Last edited:

kyoji

huh? It's called a knock on effect. CoD is played by HALF of the console userbase. They lose cod, they lose a good chunk of that userbase. They lose COD, they lose HALF of the 46 million PS+ subs. They lose half of console sales. They lose all the third party royalty fees and digital spend by that userbase. I am being conservative with the 30% estimate. Their first party sales will suffer too.

If it wasnt that dire, jimbo wouldnt be out there making it seem that dire.
How did sony survive in the ps1, ps2 era? Cut the bullshit

olNVktf.gif

Since microsoft announced their potential purchase of Activision/Blizzard, Sony have:

• Acquired Bungie
  • Acquired Haven Studios
  • Acquired Savage Games
Yup...after all this Sony was like "nah we ain't doing a show. If we announce 2 more exclusive games, MS will be able to buy one of the biggest publishers in the industry for sure."

[Sigma]

PlayStation doesn't have exclusives anymore.🤷‍♂️. Rumor is iffy and sounds ridiculous on the surface but given the back and forth between these two companies it's not out of the realm of possibility. I hate that I even entertained this though smh.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So does this mean Sony won't be promoting God Of War anymore, and delaying its release till holidays next year? You know, since they don't want to flaunt their great successful system sellers.

it will be interesting to see if they brag about first days sales and what not like they usually do as this could give Microsoft ammunition in the case

yurinka

So...Sony is delaying the October show that they had already planned due to an investigation for an acquisition that happened in january already, lmao.

These "insiders" are always amusing. As if 1st party IPs and exclusive games would change any outcome for the Activision acquisition :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sony has announced 2 exclusive games from 3rd party publishers on their latest State of Play alone...clearly that's not an issue, lol.

• Acquired Bungie
  • Acquired Haven Studios
  • Acquired Savage Games
Some things Sony did this year to add to the list (pretty likely there are way more I'm forgetting):
  • Acquired Lasengle
  • Announced TLOU MP game
  • Announced and released TLOUP1
  • Announced previous gen Street Fighter 6 exclusive
  • Announced and showcased PSVR2
  • Announced Horizon CoM
  • Announced 2nd party VR Firewall Ultra
  • Announced PSVR2 3rd party stuff like No Man's Sky, Among Us, Walking Dead etc
  • Announced and released the new PS+
  • Announced and released PS Stars
  • Released 1st party exclusives like Horizon 2, GT7, MLB and TLOUP1
  • Released PC port of GoW 2018
  • Announced and released PC port of Spider-Man
  • Announced PC port of Morales, Sackboy and TLOUP1
  • Announced and or released many 3rd party timed exclusives, way more than 4.
And this doesn't include 3rd party multiplatform games with marketing deal, which is a lot of content too. Sony has been super active this year releasing, announcing and promoting a lot of stuff.

They didn't need a showcase to promote distant releases because they have been too busy promoting short term stuff. And for the next few months very likely they'll focus on GoWR launch first and PSVR2 launch later, important stuff for them that I don't see why they would want to overshadow with an October showcase.

Also, now that apparently they are starting to increase shipments and that GoWR and PSVR2 releases will pump the hype, it would be smarter to save hype bullets until these hype bumps passed and once there's enough consoles in stores. I think it's pretty clear that Sony never planned an October showcase.

Last edited:
Sony ain't allowed to do anything because it makes Microsoft look bad! Poor Microsoft can't compete. Please let them buy one of the biggest ips in the world. Sony ain't allowed to announce games. Sony isn't allowed to make deals with 3rd parties. Sony ain't allowed to be annoyed that Microsoft want to take away one of the biggest games on their platform. Somebody help Microsoft to stop sonys domination of them. It isn't fair!

Last edited:

kyoji

Sony ain't allowed to do anything because it makes Microsoft look bad! Poor Microsoft can't compete. Please let them buy one of the biggest ips in the world. Sony ain't allowed to announce games. Sony isn't allowed to make deals with 3rd parties. Sony ain't allowed to be annoyed that Microsoft want to take away one of the biggest games on their platform. Somebody help Microsoft to stop sonys domination of them. It isn't fair!
Pretty much

Bragr

Banned
What's so frustrating is that people only read the big points, refuse to think about it, and then proceed to go other places and spread the nonsense.

It's like this with all of the "inside news from Twitter".

Even if this is true, the practice of treating news in this manner is creating false narratives.

Its always the same, this person says something and someone says, “is she credible?” And someone else responds with “they got the wolverine leak right” and around we go every time lol

Three

So why did they start the "Who Am I" ARG to begin with? Sounds like crazy fan theories. Who is millie anyway?

They’ve announced 3 acquisitions and multiple games since Microsoft announced they’re buying Activision, it would make no sense for them to pretend they aren’t getting exclusive games and content now

Expect that the back and forth between Sony and Microsoft over the Activision acquisition has heated up significantly in recent weeks, especially now that the U.K’s anti-trust committee is involved who are much more meticulous.

Microsoft made direct reference to Sony’s fire power in first party titles and 3rd party deals.

It’s not hard to speculate that Sony would want to delay an event showcasing those exact things. It’s just business politics.

Expect that the back and forth between Sony and Microsoft over the Activision acquisition has heated up significantly in recent weeks, especially now that the U.K’s anti-trust committee is involved who are much more meticulous.

Microsoft made direct reference to Sony’s fire power in first party titles and 3rd party deals.

It’s not hard to speculate that Sony would want to delay an event showcasing those exact things. It’s just business politics.

So we don’t expect sony to make any new game announcements or reveals until the middle of next year? Lol

Can we use a little common sense right now?

kyliethicc

nobody regulating these mergers cares about a potential spider-man 2 gameplay trailer

just look at how stupid this shit sounds

"Hey Jim, its Hermen. Just met with Ted Price earlier and Wolverine is looking great."

"Thats actually why I'm calling Hermen. We can't have a showcase this year."

"Why?"

"If we show off a new trailer for Wolverine and Final Fantasy this month, then the UK government will let Microsoft buy Activivsion. We must remain silent on the next game from PixelOpus until we have secured future Call of Duty titles on PlayStation."

"Um, Jim, what does like Bluepoint's next game have to do with any of that shit?"

"Everything Hermen. Its 4D chess really. If we show off a reveal trailer for TLOU Online this month, then the British regulators will suddenly realise things they already know and don't care about. They're completely fucking irrelevant to the merger approval process sure, but my dear Hermen trust me. We must not reveal London Studio's next new game or any potential gameplay for our upcoming PSVR2 launch titles until we have ripped back Crash Bandicoot from the clutches of the dreaded enemy. There can be no showcase in 2022."

"Well ok sure that makes sense."

So we don’t expect sony to make any new game announcements or reveals until the middle of next year? Lol

Can we use a little common sense right now?

That's not what I said nor what I'm expecting. We can put Millie's "leak" aside, and still objectively speculate on why exactly Sony are taking their time with their showcase, as the past three years have shown that they usually have an event around late summer or/and early autumn.

They'll likely wait for the heat to die down before they announce anything.

But again this is just pure speculation, who knows what goes behind closed doors, especially with multi-billion dollar corporations who are engaged in legal battles with one and the other.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm expecting a showcase by the end of this year.

Spider-Man 2 is due next year, but we've seen nothing since the first reveal trailer. VR 2 is out in early next year. Need to build the hype for that as well. Not to mention these shows build up hype, which Sony would want to do to sell consoles over the Christmas period.

Guaranteed we'll have a show case by December.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
nobody regulating these mergers cares about a potential spider-man 2 gameplay trailer

"Hey Jim, its Hermen. Just met with Ted Price earlier and Wolverine is looking great."

"Why?"

"If we show off a new trailer for Wolverine and Final Fantasy this month, then the UK government will let Microsoft buy Activivsion. We must remain silent on the next game from PixelOpus until we have secured future Call of Duty titles on PlayStation."

"Um, Jim, what does like Bluepoint's next game have to do with any of that shit?"

"Everything Hermen. Its 4D chess really. If we show off a reveal trailer for TLOU Online this month, then the British regulators will suddenly realise things they already know and don't care about. They're completely fucking irrelevant to the merger approval process sure, but my dear Hermen trust me. We must not reveal London Studio's next new game or any potential gameplay for our upcoming PSVR2 launch titles until we have ripped back Crash Bandicoot from the clutches of the dreaded enemy. There can be no showcase in 2022."

Yes, it doesnt make sense but MS specifically called out Sonys deal for Spiderman with Marvel. Even though they passed on Marvel first. These things rarely make much sense. They are all done by lawyers who are paid to make arguments.

Revealing not one but 5 exclusives that are either not based on Sony IP or are made by third parties is just going to give MS lawyers more ammo.

1) Death Stranding - Sony IP made by third party studio.
2) Silent Hill - Konami IP made by a third party studio.
3) MGS remake - Konami IP made by a first party studio.
4) Spiderman 2 - Marvel IP made by a first party studio.
5) Wolverine - Marvel IP made by a first party studio.

And then you have already announced exclusives from SE that could be shown at the show:
6) Forspoken
7) FFXIV
8) FF7 Rebirth

MS shamelessly tried to make an argument that Sony had 5x as many exclusives last year than MS did. They actually said that. To them, it wont even matter if its first party IP or third party studio, they will just say that Sony is kicking our asses at this exclusives war and we need Activisions studios to catch up.

I dont like it, but in a world where nothing makes sense, this kind of makes sense. Does that make sense?

"Why?"

Again, this is not just about "the spiderman 2 reveal". Sony have been pissing their pants since the Microsoft and Activision acquisition was announced, and now they're desperately trying to persuade the CMA and other anti-trust committees to take a course of action (preferably to block the deal).

Microsoft have come back and have made direct references to Sony's firepower in first party games and 3rd party deals (and I'm sure you already know the rest), all of this has happened in the last couple of weeks...so yes it is likely that Sony may want to think twice about doing a showcase revealing those exact things lol

That was my first thought but if you look at the IPs and studios that are due, it’s third party IPs like Spider-Man, Wolverine and silent hill and third party studios making exclusives like kojipro.

Doubt GG, SsM, PD and ND have anything to show after shipping games in 2022. And MS can indeed use Sony’s reliance on third party studios and Ips against them in court. They have already complained about Spider-Man even though they passed on marvel themselves.

P.S Sony is also likely working on a MGS remake by bluepoint. First party studios, third party IP. Not a traditional moneyhat but MS would bring it up regardless.

MS probably will argue the point anyway. So what's the point of Sony delaying its gaming showcase? Whether they show the games or not, MS will probably still bitch about them to the CMA... and the CMA will still probably laugh in MS's face since MS has bought their own fair share of 3rd party exclusives and continue to do so.

CMA isn't thick. They're smart enough to understand that buying temporary exclusivity of a game =/= buying an entire publisher and making all their games permanently exclusive.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MS probably will argue the point anyway. So what's the point of Sony delaying its gaming showcase? Whether they show the games or not, MS will probably still bitch about them to the CMA... and the CMA will still probably laugh in MS's face since MS has bought their own fair share of 3rd party exclusives and continue to do so.

CMA isn't thick. They're smart enough to understand that buying temporary exclusivity of a game =/= buying an entire publisher and making all their games permanently exclusive.
We all want Sony to have an E3 2015 or 2016 style show, right? Where they came and blew everyone away with AAA exclusive after exclusive. What if they were planning an event like that? They would win the battle, but lose the war if MS can point to a show like E3 2015 with HZD, TLG, Shenmue, FF7, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and say hey look how are we supposed to compete with that? We only have Starfield and fucking redfall coming out next year?

Whether or not CMA buys it doesnt matter, you just dont want to load new bullets for your enemies. Especially if they start to show some of their 12 GaaS games to be released by 2025. Remember they have that ex-bungie studio, ex-treyarch studio, jade raymond's new studio, GG, ND, and now Bungie all making GaaS games to compete with CoD. Ive heard online mp hirings over at Insomniac and Bend too.

Skifi28

I got an email saying all PS users are required to hide their purchased games (console exclusives) in case they are used as firepower by Microsoft for the acquisition.

Anyone else got the email? Where do you plan on hiding your games?

Last edited:
We all want Sony to have an E3 2015 or 2016 style show, right? Where they came and blew everyone away with AAA exclusive after exclusive. What if they were planning an event like that? They would win the battle, but lose the war if MS can point to a show like E3 2015 with HZD, TLG, Shenmue, FF7, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and say hey look how are we supposed to compete with that? We only have Starfield and fucking redfall coming out next year?

Whether or not CMA buys it doesnt matter, you just dont want to load new bullets for your enemies. Especially if they start to show some of their 12 GaaS games to be released by 2025. Remember they have that ex-bungie studio, ex-treyarch studio, jade raymond's new studio, GG, ND, and now Bungie all making GaaS games to compete with CoD. Ive heard online mp hirings over at Insomniac and Bend too.

Yeah, I'm still not convinced.

You're assuming crazy E3 2015/2016-level announcements were even planned for their end-of-year showcase. That's rarely the case with modern Sony. They don't blow their whole load in one event.... not anymore. They haven't operated like that in over half a decade. Instead, they space their announcements out over multiple events and State of Plays.

So like I said before, even if the MS thing with the CMA was a real concern for them, they can hold those announcements back and just reveal the first-party stuff, indie stuff, 3rd party non-exclusive stuff and PSVR2 games. Even if they have major third-party exclusives for PSVR2, those are irrelevant to MS's case, because they're only exclusive because MS doesn't give a shit about the VR market and doesn't have a horse in that race by their own choice not to. So those are defacto exclusives, sort of like Japanese games by Japanese devs that are focused more on their domestic market where xbox sells like shit.

I think this "rumour" reeks of BS and insecurity by folks who seem to think that Sony's making major decisions regarding their gaming business solely as a reaction to MS. Sony is still sitting in a comfortable first place in the console gaming market. People keep forgetting it's MS who's trying to play catch up.

Fundamentally, I think Sony knows that the Activision deal will most likely eventually go through. So shoring up their own first-party efforts in MP gaming is a good start to shore up their market position, and building hype is an important part of that process. Any argument MS can throw at CMA about Sony working on 1st and 3rd party exclusive MP games that are new IP and have no pre-existing market built-in for them, would actually be self-defeating. COD was lightning in a bottle and the many many many failed MP shooters that have died on the market are a testament to the CMA that it's just not easy nor trivial to make a shooter that can rival COD in popularity and prestige.

Last edited:
How did sony survive in the ps1, ps2 era? Cut the bullshit

They redefined the games industry offering developers a way to make massive amounts more profit than they could with Nintendo and SEGA. They turned a console into a home device for everyone not seen as a toy. They opened gaming up to hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions who previously wouldn't consider a console and turned the console into a multimedia device. Being cheaper than the competition. Having a gigantic library of games. Being strong in all three major territories.

People act like Sony just bought everything. But as I've said before, PlayStation presented to many developers the only reasonable business option. Which is why many developers went from PS1/PS2 only to other platforms. Nintendo didn't allow third party developers to thrive and Microsoft just didn't have a big enough install base. If Microsoft even sold half the PS2 in terms of sales numbers, you'd have seen virtually more and more games released multiplatform until it was virtually the norm unless it was for specifically exclusive titles.

Pages of Pages of posters talking about a tweet from a nobody that has been taken as gospel and is now seen as 100% fact from Sony.

No wonder gamers open their wallets so easily, they're all fucking retarded.

Pages of Pages of posters talking about a tweet from a nobody that has been taken as gospel and is now seen as 100% fact from Sony.

No wonder gamers open their wallets so easily, they're all fucking retarded.

Reminds me of the “Sony was disappointed with sales of Death Stranding and rejected funding another Kojima game” like if you follow those rumors (which were taken as gospel for the past two years) back to the source its like the same two dumb ass ‘insiders’.

Last edited:
Top Bottom