• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where may one find out the potential dates for Sony's next major event? (Updated Poll)

when???

• Total voters

H . R . 2

Yeah, I'm still not convinced.

You're assuming crazy E3 2015/2016-level announcements were even planned for their end-of-year showcase. That's rarely the case with modern Sony. They don't blow their whole load in one event.... not anymore. They haven't operated like that in over half a decade. Instead, they space their announcements out over multiple events and State of Plays.

So like I said before, even if the MS thing with the CMA was a real concern for them, they can hold those announcements back and just reveal the first-party stuff, indie stuff, 3rd party non-exclusive stuff and PSVR2 games. Even if they have major third-party exclusives for PSVR2, those are irrelevant to MS's case, because they're only exclusive because MS doesn't give a shit about the VR market and doesn't have a horse in that race by their own choice not to. So those are defacto exclusives, sort of like Japanese games by Japanese devs that are focused more on their domestic market where xbox sells like shit.

I think this "rumour" reeks of BS and insecurity by folks who seem to think that Sony's making major decisions regarding their gaming business solely as a reaction to MS. Sony is still sitting in a comfortable first place in the console gaming market. People keep forgetting it's MS who's trying to play catch up.

Fundamentally, I think Sony knows that the Activision deal will most likely eventually go through. So shoring up their own first-party efforts in MP gaming is a good start to shore up their market position, and building hype is an important part of that process. Any argument MS can throw at CMA about Sony working on 1st and 3rd party exclusive MP games that are new IP and have no pre-existing market built-in for them, would actually be self-defeating. COD was lightning in a bottle and the many many many failed MP shooters that have died on the market are a testament to the CMA that it's just not easy nor trivial to make a shooter that can rival COD in popularity and prestige.
one would assume that the politicians and authorities who are about to approve or disapprove this deal are neither aware of nor interested in the politics of gaming and as idiotic as it might seem the premature announcement of Sony's 2023 lineup and beyond could very well impact the decision of these people. allow me to demonstrate :D
Sony: I don't have any big toys [while hiding toys behind his back]
Them: awww...[to MS] would you give him some of your toys? he doesn't have any right now, maybe some at home! so would you?? remember sharing is caring!
[as soon as they leave]
MS: liar! you have got toys!
Sony: not as big as yours! nobody will like me!
MS: you wish you could be just as rich as I am don't you?
Sony: [smiling] I am smarter that's for sure!
[they come back in, Sony bursts into tears]

also
with the new COD coming out soon, Sony would like to draw the legislators' attention to the fact that they have always been the only loyal customer and the platform of choice for COD players so this is not gonna be fair on them

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Because all they have to do is post a picture of God Of War : Ragnarok on the internet and it basically means Sony have won another year of gaming, at this point they don't even need presentations to show the world their first party new releases are going to be better than anything nintendo or microsoft are offering

one would assume that the politicians and authorities who are about to approve or disapprove this deal are neither aware of nor interested in the politics of gaming and as idiotic as it might seem the premature announcement of Sony's 2023 lineup and beyond could very well impact the decision of these people. allow me to demonstrate :D
Sony: I don't have any big toys [while hiding toys behind his back]
Them: awww...[to MS] would you give him some of your toys? he doesn't have any right now, maybe some at home! so would you?? remember sharing is caring!
[as soon as they leave]
MS: liar! you have got toys!
Sony: not as big as yours! nobody will like me!
MS: you wish you could be just as rich as I am don't you?
Sony: [smiling] I am smarter that's for sure!
[they come back in, Sony bursts into tears]

also
with the new COD coming out soon, Sony would like to draw the legislators' attention to the fact that it has always been the only loyal customer and the platform of choice for COD players so this is not gonna be fair on them

It's not about the politics of gaming, but rather the impact of the deal on the market. And the regulators will be well versed, either through their own research or through seeking consultation from outside parties, on the market impact of the deal, versus any claims about the impact (or lack therefore) of buying third-party exclusive games.

Your example above is silly and divorced from reality. Because you think market regulators don't know anything about the markets they're regulating. That's a patently absurd assumption.

mxbison

I don't see them putting focus onto something else this close to Gow:R release.

Showcase towards the end of November seems more likely.

H . R . 2

It's not about the politics of gaming, but rather the impact of the deal on the market. And the regulators will be well versed, either through their own research or through seeking consultation from outside parties, on the market impact of the deal, versus any claims about the impact (or lack therefore) of buying third-party exclusive games.

Your example above is silly and divorced from reality. Because you think market regulators don't know anything about the markets they're regulating. That's a patently absurd assumption.
I am saying that the regulator's perception and understanding of the market depends heavily on the reality presented to them and both parties know how to skew opinions in their favour. Sony's intelligent move has been using the current miserable state of the market post-covid to feed regulators the scenario that would at least buy them some time if not give them an edge over their competitor. if it weren't true, Ryan wouldn't be traveling back and forth meeting with government officials to get a word in

Last edited:
I am saying that the regulator's perception and understanding of the market depends heavily on the reality presented to them

Not at all. The regulators only give MS and Activision an opportunity to state their case and justify the deal, while also explaining how they are going to prevent any anti-competition/anti-trust issues.

The regulators will conduct their own research into the market impact of the deal; either directly or through neutral third-party market research firms. They are informed by their own research. They don't weigh their judgement purely on the basis of the submissions by the parties involved in the deal. That would be hilariously short-sighted.

Count me in on Team Bullshit on this one. Sony is walking the tightrope of pushing for concessions while not pushing so hard that MS takes the CMA to court where all sorts of dirty laundry gets aired out. There isn't anything they could announce at a showcase that MS isn't already arguing about to regulators. I just can't believe Sony would fuck with their own marketing to deprive MS of a legal point they're already making.

I'm quickly getting to the point of just make the perpetual offer for feature parity COD on PlayStation home consoles (and nothing more), and get it the hell over with.

H . R . 2

Not at all. The regulators only give MS and Activision an opportunity to state their case and justify the deal, while also explaining how they are going to prevent any anti-competition/anti-trust issues.

The regulators will conduct their own research into the market impact of the deal; either directly or through neutral third-party market research firms. They are informed by their own research. They don't weigh their judgement purely on the basis of the submissions by the parties involved in the deal. That would be hilariously short-sighted.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/inso...ng-to-microsoft’s-cma-document.1643511/unread the date doesn't have to be accurate but the very mention of it in the document goes to show that lineups are important to both parties and as such of importance to regulators

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
99.76% of this thread be like….
T8ySyz8.gif

Looks like info was leaked from IGN SEA about a FF16 trailer that might drop today.
https://sea.ign.com/final-fantasy-x...ght-on-the-story-and-the-role-of-the-crystals

A new Final Fantasy XVI trailer has arrived, shedding more light on a world that in some ways resembles an even more fantastic version of Ivalice — the realm popularized by Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII.

As revealed in the new trailer, the land of Valisthea is evidently dying as its crystals slowly fade. A voiceover intones, "Darkness spreads as day gives way to twilight, the mother's flame now all but a flicker. We cannot live without the blessing of the crystals."

Crystals are a famous part of Final Fantasy's lore going back to the original game. While they haven't been in every single Final Fantasy game, they're generally included as a more nostalgic element in the series. Their inclusion in Final Fantasy XVI suggests that Square Enix is intent on honing in on iconic imagery from the franchise despite differences like the action-oriented combat.

The trailer goes on to highlight the various kingdoms, each with its own theme: The Grand Duchy of Rosaria, "a bastion of tradition"; the Holy Empire of Sanbreque, "where ambition is divine"; the Dhalmekian Republic, "where fortune shifts with the desert sands"; The Iron Kingdom, "forged in faith and fear"; and the Kingdom of Waloed, "indomitable in its isolation."

The trailer hints at a major war between the various kingdoms as they battle to "claim the fading light" of the crystals.

Both Clive and Joshua make appearances in the trailer, with Joshua once again shown summoning Phoenix, and Clive exploring something called "the Deadlands" with several other party members As in the previous trailer, Eikons play a major role. Aside from Ifrit, a mysterious tapestry featuring a multitude of summons is glimpsed at the end of the trailer, which ought to give knowledgeable Final Fantasy fans an idea of what to expect going forward.

RIP to a Showcase....

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

MiguelItUp

I'm sure we'll see another one before the year's over, but the timing is anyone's guess. Other than knowing they'll want to work around other streams and events to not overlap.

Elios83

Safe to say nothing more from PlayStation this year lol
They'll have a few announcements at TGA imo, Death Stranding 2 seems a good bet but also a new Spiderman 2 trailer.

The showcase idea was already dead since the strong State of Play in September and third parties starting to announce their own digital events. Those things wouldn't have happened if a showcase was being planned.

In any case I also enjoy the continous flow of announcements we're having so it's still good to me, it's just a different approach.

Nautilus

Banned
Where are the people that said "Of course there is no PS E3. Sony does its conference in September now" when Sony only ever did that in 2021(maybe in ,2020? Can't remember).

No showcase is extremely disappointing, but it's just one more thing for Sony these days. I'm glad I'm done with this platform and will just play their games whenever they come to PC.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So with FF16, Silent Hill, Dead Space, RE4 and NFS reveals turning out to be their own events, it's safe to say no event in October from Sony. And likely nothing all year.

These guys literally skipped a whole year and you lot let them get away with it. Good job.

Next time, maybe just maybe dare to criticize them for not showing up to industry wide events.

Silent Hill PS5 exclusive shown this week
FF16 shown
RE show this week
Bungie Marathon info leak

That whole Sony rumor about Sony delaying their show due to CMA stuff is getting more interesting.
Could still be 100% fake but it's sure interesting to talk about.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They also had some very good state of plays this year. I guess they dont count If you don't have a man standing on stage.
And another does their small directs and gets away with it.

Why? They produce games.

People nowadays have short term memories. It's better to drop a hint, then market closer to launch. There is too much noise in the ether now and you can get lost in the sauce from a show that announced games 3-5 years out.

Only those on message boards who spend more time here than gaming itself, are frustrated because they are lacking in content to argue about. Bet.

With that said, do I miss the dopamine excitement of them, sure... but I'm not missing out on anything when it comes to actually buying and playing said games when it's time to.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Silent Hill PS5 exclusive shown this week
FF16 shown
RE show this week
Bungie Marathon info leak

That whole Sony rumor about Sony delaying their show due to CMA stuff is getting more interesting.
Could still be 100% fake but it's sure interesting to talk about.
And i bet they are in talk with square enix (due to square enix selling the Western division)

Wow. So they had a good year? Now ive seen everything.

Thanks for proving me right. Some people will defend anything.

If you actually add up all the shows together, you realise they actually showed alot this year. I will say first party stuff was light though. We only got that gow trailer and that's it.

Long shows are 80% filler anyway. How much of the Microsoft summer show was actually good? 70 mins of it was a bore and only the last 20 mins were worth it. It would have better if it was shorter. The only show that was good from start to finish was sony e3 2016. The rest of them are full of boring filler for most of the show.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So with FF16, Silent Hill, Dead Space, RE4 and NFS reveals turning out to be their own events, it's safe to say no event in October from Sony. And likely nothing all year.

These guys literally skipped a whole year and you lot let them get away with it. Good job.

Next time, maybe just maybe dare to criticize them for not showing up to industry wide events.

Nope. There are bunch of signs that it is happening. Helldiver 2, Kojima secret game, Atlus new announcement, PSVR2 and more. Its a new annual tradition for Sony to host a showcase in this period of year. See below

*looks around*

Yes there is still ample reason to believe that PlayStation will have a showcase sooner rather than later. I'll just quote myself from a recent post:

1. We know a Helldivers 2 trailer has been prepared as of a few weeks ago, and a brief snippet of the trailer was made by Dusk Golem and found its way onto the internet. It didn't show up at Gamescom, the State of Play or TGS. This is a first party SIE game being made by Arrowhead and Sony typically reveals their games at a showcase with very few exceptions (ie. Horizon CotM and TLOU Part 1). This could indicate the trailer was made for an upcoming showcase

2. Yoshida has stated he expects the next FF16 trailer to come out in October. Sony obviously has strong ties ties to this game and it usually shows up at their events. This was recently reiterated by Yoshida.

3. PSVR2 is launching early 2023 and has yet to get a release date and price. So far they've been mirroring its info release pretty closely to the 2020 info release of the PS5, meaning a price/date at a showcase would be the next step, along with the rest of its launch lineup since all we've gotten so far are "sneak peaks".

4. Atlus has advised there will be no new game announcements at their concert in October. Some seem to believe this could mean a reveal at a PS showcase instead.

5. Kojima has been editing something lately. It wasn't something for Gamescom or TGS. It could maybe be related to his podcast? Or he could be editing a trailer for a PS Showcase. It would seem a bit early for him to be editing a trailer for TGA. We have a leak of Death Stranding 2 being a thing, and we know KojiPro are working on multiple projects, so this could be one of 'em.

6. Sony's about to end the marketing cycle for their last game announced back in 2020, and nothing else they've announced has a definitive release date (Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, Horizon CotM, TLOU MP). The pandemic pushed back their marketing/releases, so that's to be expected, but they'll have to get their next wave of marketing done sooner rather than later. Spider-Man 2 is launching in 2023 and so far we only have a teaser video from last years showcase, for example. We know that 2 unannounced live service games are going to launch this fiscal year (by March 31, 2023), and those haven't been revealed yet. Helldivers 2 s likely one of them, at least.

7. Precedent. Sony's held a September showcase the past 2 years, and while we got the September SoP, we haven't gotten their showcase yet. Holding a showcase in October would still fit the pattern.

8. Sony's first party content has been suspiciously absent from their June and September State of Plays, which almost entirely focused on third parties with only a couple of already announced first party games sprinkled in. The mere fact that they've held them back tells us that they're saving them for something, which would have to be a showcase. We know they've got over 25 titles in development so they could potentially have a LOT of titles to show us that're releasing in 2023 and 2024.

It's coming folks, just a wee bit longer :)

H . R . 2

Nope. There are bunch of signs that it is happening. Helldiver 2, Kojima secret game, Atlus new announcement, PSVR2 and more. Its a new annual tradition for Sony to host a showcase in this period of year. See below
agreed
PSVR2 alone requires one at least
though it might not be a full-on showcase

Shubh_C63

Is Sony never gonna release their sizzle reel as long as Microsoft Activision deal is cooking ?

Afraid the usual overselling sizzle reel will be used by MS at court.

H . R . 2

If Death Stranding 2 turns out to be last gen, I will point to this picture to explain why.
I don't think his next game is DS2. The time gap hasn't been enough to justify a second DS. It would lead to fatigue. I think those updates on DS2 is just smokescreen for what he's been really up to and I believe his horror game is coming out on PS5 contrary to what people think

But that's just my opinion

SaucyJack

Also, as for the FUD rumor about the CMA, that holds as much weight as "MS delayed all the first party bangers this year to look inept and lesser than the competition for the CMA to have sympathy points."

This rumour is completely illogical - even just at face value.

- They can't pull the wool over their eyes; the CMA can get evidence of contractual arrangements in place on games that are not yet released
- The CMA investigation will still be ongoing when some of the 3rd party exclusives actually release, or otherwise need to be marketed
- Sony's ability to make the sort of deals that they have made previously is hardly going to change the trajectory of this investigation

I'm calling bullshit.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This rumour is completely illogical - even just at face value.

- They can't pull the wool over their eyes; the CMA can get evidence of contractual arrangements in place on games that are not yet released
- The CMA investigation will still be ongoing when some of the 3rd party exclusives actually release, or otherwise need to be marketed
- Sony's ability to make the sort of deals that they have made previously is hardly going to change the trajectory of this investigation

I'm calling bullshit.
The vast majority of "rumors" such as this in gaming are made up on the spot, or viral marketed FUD.

Their sources? Money or asstales or both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom