• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which GOTY nominated 3D platformer was the best?

Which GOTY nominated 3D platformer was the best?

• Ratchet and Clank

Votes: 71 48.3%
  • Psychonauts 2

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • It Takes Two

Votes: 15 10.2%

• Total voters
We had a superb year for platformers where three 3D platformers were nominated for GOTY...of the 3 which was your favorite?

Ratchet And Clank GIF by PlayStation

GIF by Xbox

Electronic Arts Game GIF by It Takes Two

No bowsers fury? Who nominated what? And what is that horrible hipster looking game from the third gif. But no bowsers fury.

Rivet and clank is very pretty, and still fun, but it's gotten pretty milquetoast and creatively bankrupt at this point. I don't think i'll buy another one unless they remake another ps2 iteration and don't fuck it up with activism.

bender

What time is it?
R&C is the most mechanical sound and technically impressive. Psychonauts 2 has the most creative level designs and a charming cast of characters and story. It Takes 2 is mediocre mechanically and the story and characters didn't hit home for me. It has nice level variety and gets bonus points for having you enact Street Fighter combat against a squirrel atop the wings of a biplane (I laughed for a solid three of four minutes over this gag).

Overall I'd probably vote for Psychonauts. Ratchet and Clank is probably the only game I'd ever consider replaying though.

Last edited:
R&C is the most mechanical sound and technically impressive. Psychonauts 2 has the most creative level designs and a charming cast of characters and story. It Takes 2 is mediocre mechanically and the story and characters didn't hit home for me. It has nice level variety and gets bonus points for having you enact Street Fighter combat against a squirrel atop the wings of a biplane (I laughed for a solid three of four minutes over this gag).

Overall I'd probably vote for Psychonauts. Ratchet and Clank is probably the only game I'd ever consider replaying though.
Part of my problem with ratchet is that yhere are SO MANY of them, but damn does it play smooth and look good while doing it. I too will replay it at some point but honestly even the 2016 remake is better.

bender

What time is it?
Part of my problem with ratchet is that yhere are SO MANY of them, but damn does it play smooth and look good while doing it. I too will replay it at some point but honestly even the 2016 remake is better.

I'm probably getting old, but "damn, this looks amazing" just doesn't do a lot for me anymore. 2016 looked amazing too and I'm sure there are a laundry list of improvements in A Rift Apart but I'll be damned if I can tell.

I'm probably getting old, but "damn, this looks amazing" just doesn't do a lot for me anymore. 2016 looked amazing too and I'm sure there are a laundry list of improvements in A Rift Apart but I'll be damned if I can tell.
Honestly man the core gameplay loop has not gotten any better and the weapons are worse than 2016, which is not the best in the series in that regard either. That'd be one of the ps3 future titles which are the best.

On its own it's still fun and a technical showpiece. I need more than graphics as well, because damn i'm still impressed by some really old game's graphics.

bender

What time is it?
Honestly man the core gameplay loop has not gotten any better and the weapons are worse than 2016, which is not the best in the series in that regard either. That'd be one of the ps3 future titles which are the best.

On its own it's still fun and a technical showpiece. I need more than graphics as well, because damn i'm still impressed by some really old game's graphics.

I agree with that and the series was definitely hurt in the PS2/PS3 era by churning out too many of the titles is too short of a time span. Also agree that the game play hasn't evolved and it does feel like they've run out of ideas for the quirky arsenal which is, to me, what the series hangs its' hat on. I still commend Insomniac for consistently putting out games in the series and maintaining a high quality, but I'd never elevate any of the titles as being "great".

Banned
honestly I would almost say that Ratchet is no longer really a platformer... there's more actual platforming and more challenging platforming in Doom Eternal than in Rift Apart

Rift Apart (and many games in the series before it) are more like light-hearted 3rd person shooters with platforming segments mixed in... like Doom Eternal is a 1st person shooter with platforming mixed in.

so I would give it to Psychonauts 2 because it's actually a platformer

Last edited:
I agree with that and the series was definitely hurt in the PS2/PS3 era by churning out too many of the titles is too short of a time span. Also agree that the game play hasn't evolved and it does feel like they've run out of ideas for the quirky arsenal which is, to me, what the series hangs its' hat on. I still commend Insomniac for consistently putting out games in the series and maintaining a high quality, but I'd never elevate any of the titles as being "great".
I consider a crack in time to be great. Everything was well thought out and polished.

I like tools of destruction as well, and that was a real wow moment on ps3 but it’s not nearly as refined.

GametimeUK

They are all fantastic games and stand out in their own right. I'd say they are all very equal in terms of quality game design, but are separated by what style of game is your preference.

In this case mine is Psychonauts.

Topher

Gold Member
Cannot speak to It Takes Two, but I liked Ratchet and Clank more than Psychonauts 2. That's saying a lot because I loved Psychonauts 2.

Tie between It Takes Two and Psychonauts 2.

Both are oozing with creativity.

I voted for It Takes Two cause every level introduces new mechanics and co-op. Also it has lowest nos of votes. What's wrong with GAF?

Banned

I voted for It Takes Two cause every level introduces new mechanics and co-op. Also it has lowest nos of votes. What's wrong with GAF?

welcome to Sony Gaf, new here? most people on here only care about graphics, and Sony delivers the graphics... that's basically how games are rated here

Last edited:
Im playing psychonauts 2 now and as much as i love the characters the story and creativity with some of the level design the gameplay isn’t that fun for me, its kind of slow and janky. Very ps2 era platforming.

Rift Apart has a brain dead story, and almost no real character growth, but the moment to moment gameplay is way more fun than psychonauts for me. Plus, yeah, its incredible looking

Hugare

Ratchet is mass produced filler.

Psychonauts or It Takes Two should take it.
This

Rift Apart is gorgeous, but despite the graphics and the portal gimmic, its the same old R&C

Psychonauts 2 is amazing. Most imaginative game that I've played in a long time. Great story, characters, gameplay ... Loved everything about it.

It Takes Two is also amazing

This is a very Sony centric forum, so the poll result is not surprising

R&C is also the most popular franchise of the 3, I think, which helps

Last edited:

Lupin25

It’s hard to consider Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart a full-time platformer. It’s more action-adventure.

So with that said, I think It Takes Two would be my choice. Some creative level design and the co-op aspect is some of the best I’ve ever played.

elliot5

Psychonauts 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

though I haven't played ITT yet. Once the semester is over I will

Handel

Psychonauts 2's level design and narrative are the best of the bunch, and it's just behind It Takes Two in overall creativity. Gameplay can be a bit wonky, but is still fun with the many different powers you have at your disposal.

Jennings

Psychonauts 2 is terrible because there's too many cut scenes and way too much talking and nagging from characters while actually trying to play. Plus the platforming is janky. And it's only creative in the "let's just make things look like we're on an acid trip" sort of way, yawn.

Last edited:
Does everyone who’s voting have a PS5? Because that’s the only way to play every game listed.

Don't have PS5.

But have played at least 6 Ratchet games, so that should be enough?

Going by how ambitious Sony is with the franchise, sadly it is.

I don't have any issue with beloved franchise making a return after 5 yrs, but show some ambition and put some effort at least.

Zannegan

A lot of people haven't played all three, and a lot of people enjoyed Rachet, but just going by the GIFs, which would you rather play? Rachet gets an action sequence, Psychonauts and It Takes Two get out of context cutscene clips. IT2 doesn't even show the characters as they look in gameplay. It's an OP problem.

Topher

Gold Member
This

Rift Apart is gorgeous, but despite the graphics and the portal gimmic, its the same old R&C

Are you sure you played Rift Apart? This is not the same linear platformer that the previous games have been at all. People keeping saying that and yet there are large open areas with side missions, but you are talking about the "portal gimmic" as if that is the predominant new mechanic in the game? I don't get that at all.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It’s Psychonauts 2 for me, the writing and characters plus there is some truly incredible level design and ideas into how they could create a mental projection of a level.

Ratchet is a great pop corn 3rd person shooter Over platformer, and we do need those. Big budget fun for a weekend but ultimately shallow in everything outside of tech.

Are you sure you played Rift Apart? This is not the same linear platformer that the previous games have been at all. People keeping saying that and yet there are large open areas with side missions, but you are talking about the "portal gimmic" as if that is the predominant new mechanic in the game? I don't get that at all.

Which area is it?

Share in a spoiler tag.

Topher

Gold Member
Which area is it?

Share in a spoiler tag.

Here are the open maps for the first two open areas I've seen so far:

Top Bottom