• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which SSD did you get for PS5?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Black Friday got some deals and I just got the SN850X for 127€ because I fear these SSDs soldered into the motherboards might crap out a few years in. Anybody with one of these, I can still cancel it.

What benchmark results do you guys get on yours, model/brand, and does it make any difference how fast they are past what Mark Cerny recommends?

Goon_Bong

Got a 980 Pro + heatsink, doesn't bench quite as well as the WD but I honestly can't notice the difference in load times from on-board to this. Was a fair bit cheaper than the WD Black SN850 at the time, guessing due to demand as that is the one Sony recommended and now even has it as their Quasi 'official' upgrade kit.

ReBurn

Gold Member
1 tb Crucial P5 Plus. Less than $100 at Amazon and Best Buy right now. Tested at > 6300 MB/s when I installed it. Added a $10 heat sink when I bought it. Get it from Crucial with a heat sink for a penny more.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

I got XPG Blade S70, it's cheapest and fastest SSD at $200 for 2TB
Same but with the 1TB version because it was on sale, super cheap around April. The 2TB was still at a high price. Now I’m tempted to get upgrade to a 2TB since they’ve dropped so drastically.

RPS37

2TB WD SN850X with Heatsink.
On sale for $210. I think I’m set for a while and I now understand the expanded storage situation with the current gen consoles.

Sony is doing way better, though I don’t regret spending 400 on my Series X storage.

Dr.brain64

If you are crazy like me, go with this:

9912_03_seagate-firecuda-530-4tb-ssd-review-king-of-ssds-heatsink-tested_full.jpg

I thought ps5’s ssd was the secret sauce and faster than anything on the market? How can a regular over the counter ssd be compatible?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The 2Tb 980 pro.

Put it in my pc first and upgraded the firmware. Don’t know if this is still a requirement on the ones you buy today.

skit_data

Just bought a 1 TB Kingston KC3000 with a be quiet! MC1 heatsink a for a really good price.

Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it good?

2 TB Western Digital SN850.

With an Elecgear Beastsink.

a8Vwb4E.jpg

But I have a Fanxiang S880 4TB and Adata Legend 960Max lying arround here somewhere. Had no time to install it.

I got one of these, literally installed it last night. I don't really need the space but whatever.

skit_data

2 TB Western Digital SN850.

With an Elecgear Beastsink.

a8Vwb4E.jpg

But I have a Fanxiang S880 4TB and Adata Legend 960Max lying arround here somewhere. Had no time to install it.
That heatsink is fucking slick, I saw a Spawnwave video with it and while it seems a bit excessive it's really cool

If you got that you almost need some kind of transparent side cover to show it off

Last edited:
I think mine was a nexgen SSD. Works really well in my PS5.

Edit: I actually think it was called NXstorage or something similar..

Last edited:
Genuinely curious why you folks felt the need for more storage. Do you keep your PS4 games on the console storage instead of a USB drive? You play Call of Duty?

I have to delete a game now and then, but otherwise I have 5-6 PS5 games installed at any given time.

Last edited:
Genuinely curious why you folks felt the need for more storage. Do you keep your PS4 games on the console storage instead of a USB drive? You play Call of Duty?

I have to delete a game now and then, but otherwise I have 5-6 PS5 games installed at any given time.

Just a very simple and cheap upgrade is why I did it.

R6Rider

Gold Member

I have to delete a game now and then, but otherwise I have the 5-6 PS5 games installed at any given time.
I only recently got an M.2 for mine, but I did it for several reasons:

I use my PSVR2 a lot so that means I would constantly have to unplug my external SSD from the front USB-C. Having more internal negated that.

I keep several larger sized games installed at all times: Gran Turismo 7, Hitman, and Sniper Elite 5 as examples. These alone take up 300+ GB.

More importantly: I play lots of games with friends and we switch up games a lot. Now I don't need to worry about reinstalling games constantly if any of them are wanting to play something specific.

Top Bottom