• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who could have guessed Hyundai would be making such cool cars 10 years ago

Buggy Loop

Their N Vision 74 concept, which they want to make into a production car, looks INSANE. Probably LTTP, but first time i see it today and my mind is blown.

cw7h30ig8fm91.png

Hyundai_N_Vision_74_Concept_HFCV_23.jpg

Hyundai_N_Vision_74_Concept_HFCV_25.jpg

This is straight out of cyberpunk. Runs on Electric-hydrogen hybrid, which to me is a lot more exciting than pure EVs.
It's not just a concept render, it's drive-able

Between the Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6 and this concept, Hyundai designers are on fire. In the meantime, BMW now looks like fucking garbage. Strange times. I would never have guessed this about Hyundai like 10 years ago when their Elantra or Accent cars (which i owned a few years) looked so bad.

From this :
HyundaiAccent_OVR.JPG

To this :
Hyundai-IONIQ-6-debut-Hero.jpg

Mind blowing progress

Like, i'll never drive an N vision 74 or something, i am a family man, i need space, but i'm excited about a return to these 70's style look.

Last edited:
Struggling to see what's mind blowing about it but to each their own.

Mind blowing for me is the Mercedes Benz EQXX with its 1000km range and the tech they managed to pack into that thing. I'm sure other car manufacturers have put forward ideas like the above N74 concept car.

Hyundai have been making good mass produced cars for awhile IMO
They poached top talent from the top car manufacturers over the years so no surprise that they're improving.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Also, props to the Korean manufacturers for being creative with their warranties. That was the recipe for success Stateside.

p.s. The Pontiac LeMans is a Daewoo.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You mean they’ve taken a giant step backwards. 10 years ago they had a BEAUTIFUL design language that propelled the Sonata into the mainstream and finally had them completing. Then they threw out that designs and went super conservative.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Struggling to see what's mind blowing about it but to each their own.

Mind blowing for me is the Mercedes Benz EQXX with its 1000km range and the tech they managed to pack into that thing. I'm sure other car manufacturers have put forward ideas like the above N74 concept car.

Benz EQXX looks like the cumulation of every EV trends i hate in design, it looks like a an attempt at even better drag coefficient than a Prius prime, like a remodel of the GM EV-1.

It drove 1200 km, during 14 hours and 30 minutes... at 83 km/h (52 mph).
The cells are air cooled, so bye bye fast charging, it won't handle it. To get that range you'll be waiting at the charger for a freaking long ass time. Who wants to drive like that? Charging time is already problematic and to be more efficient during the drive they sacrifice fast charging which makes it even worse.

But i'll give Mercedes at least the approval that they made a better looking car than BMW.

Benz EQXX looks like the cumulation of every EV trends i hate in design, it looks like a an attempt at even better drag coefficient than a Prius prime, like a remodel of the GM EV-1.

It drove 1200 km, during 14 hours and 30 minutes... at 83 km/h (52 mph).
The cells are air cooled, so bye bye fast charging, it won't handle it. To get that range you'll be waiting at the charger for a freaking long ass time. Who wants to drive like that? Charging time is already problematic and to be more efficient during the drive they sacrifice fast charging which makes it even worse.

But i'll give Mercedes at least the approval that they made a better looking car than BMW.
To squeeze the most out of the range the vehicle has to be designed with aerodynamic efficiency in mind. It's the reason it looks the way it does.

Also this vehicle is only a test bed and is not coming to market as it is but rather the technology that is being tested will someday make it to other Mercedes Benz EV's.

Also looks are subjective. I find Mercedes Benz cars incredibly boring. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a C-Class and S-Class at anything beyond 100m. The same goes for the SUV's. They follow the same design language so they're not easily distinguishable.
Then there's the electric vehicles they recently launched in the EQS and EQE. Lazy copy/paste design. At least BMW is taking risks and trying to add a bit of individuality in their series vehicles.

Mercedes Benz EQS:
kKxXvrgyv4iuaX8WmniW2J.jpg

Mercedes Benz EQE:
Mercedes_EQE-01@2x.jpg

bender

What time is it?
To squeeze the most out of the range the vehicle has to be designed with aerodynamic efficiency in mind. It's the reason it looks the way it does.

Also this vehicle is only a test bed and is not coming to market as it is but rather the technology that is being tested will someday make it to other Mercedes Benz EV's.

Also looks are subjective. I find Mercedes Benz cars incredibly boring. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a C-Class and S-Class at anything beyond 100m. The same goes for the SUV's. They follow the same design language so they're not easily distinguishable.
Then there's the electric vehicles they recently launched in the EQS and EQE. Lazy copy/paste design. At least BMW is taking risks and trying to add a bit of individuality in their series vehicles.

Mercedes Benz EQS:

Mercedes Benz EQE:
Mercedes_EQE-01@2x.jpg

The grill is interesting but everything else is..

giphy.gif

Mercedes Benz EQS:

Mercedes Benz EQE:
Mercedes_EQE-01@2x.jpg
Yikes!

Incredible how they got from the sexiest EV concept imaginable (Vision EQS) to these excessively neutered production designs:

images

GeekyDad

he's not wrong. They have been competitive for some time now.
"Competitive" and "good" are not the same thing to me. I guess for an investor, perhaps it's something to pay attention to. But if I was in need/want of a reliable vehicle, they wouldn't even be in my top 5.

Pagusas

Elden Member
"Competitive" and "good" are not the same thing to me. I guess for an investor, perhaps it's something to pay attention to. But if I was in need/want of a reliable vehicle, they wouldn't even be in my top 5.
They are good cars for early adults/early families, they have the best warranty of any car manufacturers (10/100,000) and they have one of the lowest cost of ownerships. You'd be wrong to dismiss them as bad or fair, they are good on reliability and good for the segment that are in. Hyundai also expanded into the luxury tier with the Genesis brand, which also excels for the price compared to BMW/Audi.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Concept cars always look 100x cooler than production. Safety features, structural integrity, aerodynamics all push toward the samey designs we have on the roads today.
Yup.

Most of the models are simply marketing hype to give a halo effect. Everyone knows they wont be sold to the public but it gets eyeballs.

If all Toyota and Ford showed at car shows were their annual Camry and F-150 refresh which this year is slightly bigger glove compartment and an extra 2 sq ft of cargo space, zero people would be talking about them.

The dumbest concept cars I've seen are those sporty or futuristic cars which are so low it must be a half inch off the ground. Even lower than race cars. I dont see how they can even drive it into the showroom without it getting caught on something on the floor. Cars like that wouldnt even make up a driveway or be able to go over a speed bump.

Last edited:

Pejo

The first time I ever experienced one of those sunroof tops where the whole top of the car is a window was in a Hyundai, they're pretty cool.

I still want a Cybertruck though, that's my mid term goal.

GeekyDad

They are good cars for early adults/early families, they have the best warranty of any car manufacturers (10/100,000) and they have one of the lowest cost of ownerships. You'd be wrong to dismiss them as bad or fair, they are good on reliability and good for the segment that are in. Hyundai also expanded into the luxury tier with the Genesis brand, which also excels for the price compared to BMW/Audi.
To each their own, I suppose, but from my own personal experience with a new one, I'll NEVER go back. That's great if they have improved over the years, but nah...not for me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I was scoping out my new car years back, I had Genesis G70 on my radar. But every person I spoke to (including mechanics) said avoid it as it's repair heavy. The warranty will cover it but be warned at bringing the car into the shop frequently.

So I avoided it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Paying attention to concept cars is pretty pointless.

We’ve had these crazy designs get PR for decades now and yet every car still morphed into grandmas Camry design.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
lol. That concept car looks like the mid 90s vomited all over a DeLorean.

Remember when Kia made a big deal about hiring a design artist away from some European company? Well, Hyundai owns Kia. They also employ that European guy. So do their cars look a little nicer the last couple years? Yeah. But they're still Hyundais. Are they going to be reliable?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
lol. That concept car looks like the mid 90s vomited all over a DeLorean.

Remember when Kia made a big deal about hiring a design artist away from some European company? Well, Hyundai owns Kia. They also employ that European guy. So do their cars look a little nicer the last couple years? Yeah. But they're still Hyundais. Are they going to be reliable?
Yes. They’re fine.

Hyundai and Kia are ahead of the Japanese and American automakers at this point in the game. Overall product is far superior.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
They were pretty cool when they released the Tuburon or whatever.

And they followed the model of Honda, Toyota.

Make a small cheap car first. Then branch out.

They make a good product and are reliable. That’s what you ultimately want in a vehicle.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Quality = Price? I'm liking a lot of their new designs and cars but it comes with the new price tag as well.

hqaggan.jpg
I wish I could find an Ioniq 5 at those prices. My local dealer has a $5000 to $10,000 “market adjustment” on only the Ioniqs. Everything else is sticker price and cheaper than their used cars. My next one will be an Ioniq 5, once the upcharge disappears.

I_D

So...
I will never claim to be an expert on pop-culture or modern trends. That kind of stuff just doesn't interest me.
I would at least, though, like to think that I have at least somewhat of an eye for good design. I'm no expert, mind you, but I can at least recognize something streamlined and ergonomic, versus something... less so.

I will, however, insist that I am quite proficient with reading-comprehension-based activities:
In text, it is notoriously difficult to detect sarcasm, and yet I hardly ever have issues with such a thing.
In your OP, however, I detect no such sarcasm.

As such... I am confused.

Buggy Loop

So...
I will never claim to be an expert on pop-culture or modern trends. That kind of stuff just doesn't interest me.
I would at least, though, like to think that I have at least somewhat of an eye for good design. I'm no expert, mind you, but I can at least recognize something streamlined and ergonomic, versus something... less so.

I will, however, insist that I am quite proficient with reading-comprehension-based activities:
In text, it is notoriously difficult to detect sarcasm, and yet I hardly ever have issues with such a thing.
In your OP, however, I detect no such sarcasm.

As such... I am confused.

Are you trying to be witty?

Ioniq 5 looks like a retro 80’s cyberpunk car inspired by the Delta S4

Lancia-S4-045.jpg

Then the vision 74 concept looks like it took the ioniq 5 and went Dolorean with it

Front-3-4.jpg

And lands somewhere near the cyberpunk 2077 Quadra

quadra-type-66-avenger-photo-mode.jpg

It looks iconic. Any manufacturer releasing what Hyundai has with Ioniq 5, 6 and this concept would be rightfully praised. Ioniq 5 are lookers on the street. This concept is basically an elongated and sporty Ioniq 5.

I_D

Are you trying to be witty?

Not at all. I'm genuinely confused.

Just to be clear, you're saying that these cars look good?
You're saying you would like to drive them?
You're saying you would drive these cars seriously, while not cosplaying/being ironic/taking the piss/etc.?

If so, I appreciate your level of self-confidence.
I'm not quite there, myself.

ShinFuYux

The body is similar to a Nissan skyline, the shape is similar to a delorean, the way the front drops is similar to a Ferrari 308 gtb.

It's like getting a lot of inspiration from the 1980's.

dr_octagon

Banned
I'm a professional car design drawer and spent over 100 minutes developing a NeonGaf inspired auto.

Currently in talks to take beyond the concept stage. Fedora style spoiler and iconic headlights. Comes in Superior Sony Blue and Classic Fanta Orange.

rGE7VfW.jpg

xrnzaaas

Their Genesis and Ioniq cars look really cool, but I really dislike their mass lineup like the new Tucson that's incredibly ugly on the outside. I actually liked conservative design of their 'standard' models. It was pleasant to look at but not completely boring like with VW or Skoda.

Crayon

That concept is the best looking thing they've ever made. And yes I mean without all the concepty bod cladding. They've tried, but even the genesis coupe looks like a hodgepodge. That veloster thing was getting there, tho.

Their cars have been decent for a long time, too. Mechanically, at least. They were one of the first manufacturers to instroduce a 100,000 mile warranty to combat their reputation for making dodgy cars.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
They were pretty cool when they released the Tuburon or whatever.

And they followed the model of Honda, Toyota.

Make a small cheap car first. Then branch out.

They make a good product and are reliable. That’s what you ultimately want in a vehicle.
I had a roommate with one of those. I feel like Tesla "stole" the design a bit
aSguGr1.jpg

When I was scoping out my new car years back, I had Genesis G70 on my radar. But every person I spoke to (including mechanics) said avoid it as it's repair heavy. The warranty will cover it but be warned at bringing the car into the shop frequently.

So I avoided it.
I have a 2022 Genesis G70 AWD Twin Turbo V6 model, just hit 11k miles/1yeae with no issuea yet... I guess time will tell.

Car has some pep,

LordCBH

Their N Vision 74 concept, which they want to make into a production car, looks INSANE. Probably LTTP, but first time i see it today and my mind is blown.

cw7h30ig8fm91.png

Hyundai_N_Vision_74_Concept_HFCV_23.jpg

Hyundai_N_Vision_74_Concept_HFCV_25.jpg

This is straight out of cyberpunk. Runs on Electric-hydrogen hybrid, which to me is a lot more exciting than pure EVs.
It's not just a concept render, it's drive-able

Between the Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6 and this concept, Hyundai designers are on fire. In the meantime, BMW now looks like fucking garbage. Strange times. I would never have guessed this about Hyundai like 10 years ago when their Elantra or Accent cars (which i owned a few years) looked so bad.

From this :
HyundaiAccent_OVR.JPG

To this :
Hyundai-IONIQ-6-debut-Hero.jpg

Mind blowing progress

Like, i'll never drive an N vision 74 or something, i am a family man, i need space, but i'm excited about a return to these 70's style look.

My Mexican downstairs neighbors probably want to slap that ugly spoiler on their shitty Honda civic that sounds like it’s backfiring when they drive it.

Top Bottom