• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who ended up better today? EA buying BioWare or Activison merging with Blizzard?

Hyuga

Banned
Who ended up better today? EA buying BioWare or Activison merging with Blizzard?
nrpsgbk2.gif

BioWare have been massively corrupted by EA's malignant influence, they've essentially become EA's label to slap on products and developers to buff their sales, C&C Generals 2 being just the beginning of this I suspect.

Seriously. This thread isn't even a contest. Diablo III isn't even out yet after two billion years and that's "yearly sequels without fail" Activision we are talking about here, while EA told everyone that they are announcing a new Bioware game, which turned out to be a new game from some random studio they renamed to Bioware.

Seriously now. I don't see how this can even be argued.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Who ended up better?

Certainly not gamers.

Exactly.

Blizzard managed to stay basically the same, but they're taking some decisions they'd never take before Activision happened. Bioware, on the other hand... Haha.

Sothpaw

I would guess Activision by a large margin. I'm pretty sure TOR isn't doing nearly as well as EA hoped it would. I could be wrong, but I already unsubbed due to boredom and my server was pretty barren even in early February.

Oh and Dragon Age 2.

Blizzard on the other hand has three massive franchises and a sure to be smash next gen MMO in the works.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Exactly.

Both Bioware and Blizzard fell down the hole to mediocrity after EA and Activision happened.

I wouldn't call Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 mediocrity. Starcraft 2 is pretty stellar, gameplay-wise, and Diablo 3, if the beta is to be judged, is shaping up to be pretty amazing as well.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I wouldn't call Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 mediocrity. Starcraft 2 is pretty stellar, gameplay-wise, and Diablo 3, if the beta is to be judged, is shaping up to be pretty amazing as well.

I was thinking mainly about WoW and being unfair by forgetting their other titles, so I edited my post. You are right.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

No matter how good the games are, (and Starcraft II story is very debatable), Battle.net 2.0 on the other hand is still a mess.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4079626942

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...ce-Visibility-and-Community-may-Kill-Diablo-3

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308482

And if they continue to use that with Diablo 3, this doesn't bode well. It certainly has made me and my friends caused to stop playing Starcraft II.

Activision didn't "acquire" Blizzard, they were purchased, majority shares, by the owner of Blizzard, Vivendi though I suppose that's more of a technicality. Anyways, Blizzard has always made better selling games than BW and is a complete cash cow with WoW so from a business perspective it's not even a contest.

Sothpaw

It certainly has made me and my friends caused to stop playing Starcraft II.

I'm a little curious as to why. I'm sure that Bnet2 isn't perfect, but SC2 matchmaking is the best in any game I have ever played. I guess interface issues with Bnet2 isn't enough to make me quit playing such an awesome game.

Duuke

Blizzard cut 600 jobs recently.

source

That doesn't sound like a win for Blizzard. Maybe a win for Activision who get a "smartsized" company and some great IPs.

hamchan

Well in terms of success it's most likely Blizzard bringing in more money.

In terms if game quality I'll likely give it to Blizzard too. Bioware has been very up and and down. Dragon Age 2 especially is one of the worst sequels to a good game I've played.

1-D_FTW

Blizzard cut 600 jobs recently.

source

That doesn't sound like a win for Blizzard. Maybe a win for Activision who get a "smartsized" company and some great IPs.

So? Do you know how many non-developer support people you need supporting an MMO that large? WoW is on the down-slope from its peak. Of course they're going to need to start scaling some of that personal down. It's still larger and more profitable that any game out there. And it's how old?

Vivendi made out better. They actually got someone who could run their video game business without losing tons of money.

This is true. There was a large chunk of years where they were totally inept and begging to be sold to anyone.

Who ended up better?

Certainly not gamers.

This so many times over.

As for the actual answer I would say Activision.
World of Warcraft was already established before the merger so none of the initial development cost, and constant money flowing in from subs. WoW and Call of Duty could keep a small country afloat financially.

EA had to fund the development of SW:TOR. That clearly was not cheap. It will almost certainly make up for the cost, and be profitable. It will also never see the profits that WoW has.

Svafnir

Uh blizzard for sure, they can do no wrong. Plus it's made a ton of money for them, blizzard games are the only games I really actively play across the year. Games like mass effect last me at most a month.

Activision. EA buying BioWare has honestly yet to be seen.

And seriously, how did EA corrupt BioWare? Did they make them arrogant? This is where BioWare has always wanted to be. EA is not responsible for BioWare's employees going on Metacritic and mouthing off on Twitter. EA didn't tell David Gaider to call people idiots on the forums.

Kyoufu

And seriously, how did EA corrupt BioWare? Did they make them arrogant? This is where BioWare has always wanted to be. EA is not responsible for BioWare's employees going on Metacritic and mouthing off on Twitter. EA didn't tell David Gaider to call people idiots on the forums.

200KB on-disc DLC "bonus"

Collector's Edition exclusive DLC

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'm a little curious as to why. I'm sure that Bnet2 isn't perfect, but SC2 matchmaking is the best in any game I have ever played. I guess interface issues with Bnet2 isn't enough to make me quit playing such an awesome game.

As others in those threads I linked have said: it feels like you are playing alone. When I enter SCII I press "search for game" and that's it. The only interaction with another human being I have is the glhf with ma opponent. Sure there are chatrooms but they are cumbersome and not well thought out.
When I entered Starcraft 1 I entered my local screen filling chatroom, the first screen you see when starting b.net play, with maybe 5-6 people from my region. We weren't talking much but it was something.

Not being able to warch replays together, the AT/Random Team fuckup and the custom game disaster is what killed the game for me and my friends playing together.

Derrick01

Banned

I do believe from an actual game perspective Bioware got to where they are now on their own. All of the bad design choices, all of the horrible writing...it's all from them.

But EA is definitely there. ME2 and 3 didn't have 50 billion launch DLCs with some of it on the disc, project $10 with the Dragon Age series and ME2, and project pay 10 more dollars with ME3 because that's just what Bioware does.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Two posts stipulating that Vivendi are the controlling interest in the Activision merger, one from a mod who has a great repertoire in Gaming GAF, and the thread continues to plod along as if those posts never happened.

C'mon GAF, you're better than this.

Nibel

Of course Activision.

Blizzard prints so much money that they can work on multiple AAA titles at the same time of which every single one will sell a ton again.

And personally, Blizzard offers more quality than BioWare.

Biggest loser Is the gamer. But much of the problem comes with his wallet.

Big-E

Two posts stipulating that Vivendi are the controlling interest in the Activision merger, one from a mod who has a great repertoire in Gaming GAF, and the thread continues to plod along as if those posts never happened.

C'mon GAF, you're better than this.

I think this perception comes from the fact that people have not been overwhelmingly happy with Blizzard since Activision was acquired. It seems like something did change with Blizzard or it is just that Blizzard had these ideas all along and this was just the natural progression.

Krilekk

Banned
EA now is a major player in the RPG department and Activison became one of the biggest publishers out there ( mostly thanks to CoD).

But at the end, both accomplished what they wanted. More money. LOL

Activision didn't merge with Blizzard, Blizzard was merged with Activision (that's why Vivendi Universal is the majority owner of Activision Blizzard, Blizzard was worth more than Activision). So you have to compare Vivendi and EA. And then of course Vivendi is the winner, no doubt about that.

Krilekk

Banned
Activision, because they made Blizz actually make more games for a change, yeah they are still the major 3 but still released something.

Activision doesn't make Blizzard do anything, Blizzard has total creative and financial freedom.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Who ended up better?

Certainly not gamers.

I know this sounds all cool and all to say, but really.. the Vivendi/Activision merger hasn't turned out bad for gamers at all.

If you're mad about studios closing? Well, people didn't buy enough of their games.. that's how it works.

Also, BioWare was already moving in the direction they were moving EA or not.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I still blame Activision for no LAN mode on Starcraft 2 which is one of the biggest injustices of gaming ever, but at least Starcraft 2 is still an RTS.

padlock

Blizzard seems to be relatively unscathed, whereas Bioware have abandoned their core fans, which games like Mass Market Effect 2 and 3 demonstrate.

hamchan

As others in those threads I linked have said: it feels like you are playing alone. When I enter SCII I press "search for game" and that's it. The only interaction with another human being I have is the glhf with ma opponent. Sure there are chatrooms but they are cumbersome and not well thought out.
When I entered Starcraft 1 I entered my local screen filling chatroom, the first screen you see when starting b.net play, with maybe 5-6 people from my region. We weren't talking much but it was something.

Not being able to warch replays together, the AT/Random Team fuckup and the custom game disaster is what killed the game for me and my friends playing together.

As someone who loves SC2 I can back this up. BNET 2.0 is horrible. It's certainly not enough to make me stop playing a very excellent game. If I want a community fix I go to teamliquid or reddit. I can see it affecting the more casual players though.

200KB on-disc DLC "bonus"

Collector's Edition exclusive DLC

Okay. so we're not talking about corruption, but more-so business decisions. It's EA's plan to push DLC. Corruption has nothing to do with it, since BioWare has to comply. Sure, they could have made a compromise in the way that 38 Studios did, but they didn't.

Corruption implies that simply by being an EA label, BioWare somehow changed internally, and when you say that, you are being a dreaded BioDrone.

Business practice = /= corruption. Business practice =/= "selling out". Towing the company line =/= corruption. It's really, really sad that some people think this.

spanks

Rictello only bought Bioware to make a quick buck by buying his own stock. EA is still hemorrhaging money from that deal.

Activision merged with some of the biggest money-makers in the history of the industry. WoW alone makes billions.

Hmmm....

DarkPanda

EA now is a major player in the Third Person Shooter department and Activison became one of the biggest publishers out there ( mostly thanks to CoD).

Fixed.

Activision/Blizzard (no matter who purchased who) is the obvious winner here. A single publisher that has CoD, WoW/regular Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo is a huge powerhouse, and nothing EA has can touch that.

Top Bottom