• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who honestly cares about "The Game AwardsTM" ???

MMaRsu

Banned
I mean, Geoff always makes it a sales show. It's more for the publishers than the actual gamers.

Every year the show is trash too. So many commercials. So many awards given to devs who don't deserve it and devs who do get shafted.

They even nominated Nibellion for 'content creator' , meanwhile Nibellion did nothing on Twitter except retweet news stories. Sure that deserves an award.

Why does anyone care about "The Game AwardsTM" ft Geoff the dorito pope

Last edited:
The only reason to tune into this garbage is to maybe catch a new reveal or two. Most of it is poop from my perspective.
Way too much filler and ego stroking time of Geoff favorite devs.

It's one of those things where I feel it was way better when it started out and has devolved significantly.

YukiOnna

You guys do since you keep making repeat threads on it. You can skip it pretty easily if you don't like it.

Otherwise, I quietly enjoy it and have fun and am happy I have an annual event to enjoy at the end of the year.

Last edited:
It's literally commercials during the content, and then commercials during the commercials. If you guys actually still think this is real you're very gullible. The presenters are planted for promotional purposes. The sales are for promotional purposes. The length of the show is to extract as much money as possible. It's bullshit. They barely even show the actual awards! Not to mention, why are there even game announcements and trailers at a fucking awards show? Have you ever seen that at any other awards show in your life? Nope. They even threw in a movie category because .... guess what, it's more promotion. esports award? More promotion. Influencer award? More promotion. ITS LITERALLY A GIANT COMMERCIAL.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's literally commercials during the content, and then commercials during the commercials. If you guys actually still think this is real you're very gullible. The presenters are planted for promotional purposes. The sales are for promotional purposes. The length of the show is to extract as much money as possible. It's bullshit. They barely even show the actual awards! Not to mention, why are there even game announcements and trailers at a fucking awards show? Have you ever seen that at any other awards show in your life? Nope. They even threw in a movie category because .... guess what, it's more promotion. esports award? More promotion. Influencer award? More promotion. ITS LITERALLY A GIANT COMMERCIAL.
Breathe Episode 2 GIF by Law & Order

You right tho.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I personally don't care but that doesn't mean I think it's dumb or anything like that. Just fell out of habit with watching it.

For me, nothing will ever top the E3 presentations during the 360/PS3/Wii generation. That shit was fire! So much fun.

Amory

Games should have an awards show, it's as viable a medium these days as films, theater, or music. Keighley went and built one

I respect the hustle even though I couldn't care less about the event

I mean, Geoff always makes it a sales show. It's more for the publishers than the actual gamers.

Every year the show is trash too. So many commercials. So many awards given to devs who don't deserve it and devs who do get shafted.
To be fair I've only felt this way when The Last of Us 2 had a nearly full sweep of wins for the 2020 awards, and Geoff had a trollish grin on his face while this was happening. I'm certain it would have won more if they had found a way for it to be nominated for more categories.

MMaRsu

Banned
You guys do since you keep making repeat threads on it. You can skip it pretty easily if you don't like it.

Otherwise, I quietly enjoy it and have fun and am happy I have an annual event to enjoy at the end of the year.
Should we stop making any negative posts about anything? Or should we just shut up of we have nothing positive to contribute?

Thats not how forums work.

Nautilus

Banned
I do. I like the awards, even if that part could have been stronger.

I don't get this recent movement of people being too cool for the awards show. Or it being too much of an ads-ridden show, but being hyped for a Nintendo or Sony direct, which in itself is an ads-ridden show lol

YukiOnna

I personally don't care but that doesn't mean I think it's dumb or anything like that. Just fell out of habit with watching it.

For me, nothing will ever top the E3 presentations during the 360/PS3/Wii generation. That shit was fire! So much fun.
Definitely miss those days compared to digital direct formats we get nowadays. It's why I'm glad we at least have 1 or 2 big events around even if the content may not always hit.

Need another repeat of Konami E3 2010.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's fun. I don't think anyone thinks of it as Serious Business™.

It's a fun night to celebrate the industry, root for the games you want to win, and see some cool trailers & reveals.

No need to make it more than that.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Should we stop making any negative posts about anything? Or should we just shut up of we have nothing positive to contribute?

Thats not how forums work.
Nope, I never mentioned something so extreme. But if the topic is constantly repeat and the posts are the same where the opinion hasn't changed, it really isn't doing much. Nothing to do with how forums work or not. "Who cares about anything????" is such an asinine topic to make. One thread I liked was the one from a couple days mentioning gameplay based awards where it could be broken down.

Last edited:
They because so woke that it turned into a cringe fest, so I have skipped for a long time now.

Also, when they gave the award from that guy of the most influential person in the industry, or something, to Greg Miller after he left IGN (seriously, this guy is clueless).

Kuranghi

I think its a bit of entertainment/fun, but I try not to take life too seriously generally, let alone "gaming life". So theres an advert or 50 thrown in, I just do something else during the most egregious ones. Probably half of the games or more shown or talked about during these shows is something I'd never play but I'm generally interested in gaming anything so I still watch it.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I do care. Even with its flaws (and there are many), I still love seeing a big event like this celebrating the video game industry.
And most of the time there is at least one surprise I like.

Same reason I miss e3.

MMaRsu

Banned
I do. I like the awards, even if that part could have been stronger.

I don't get this recent movement of people being too cool for the awards show. Or it being too much of an ads-ridden show, but being hyped for a Nintendo or Sony direct, which in itself is an ads-ridden show lol
I havent been excited for any gaming related thing aince Ff7R was announced (but never played it cause fuck messing with the story)

I wish I could be but im pretty cynical these days

Last edited:

Jennings

Normally I don't care, but this year my avatar is on the line, so now I care. It's gonna be kind of annoying if the award show screws up and chooses the wrong GOTY. I have little faith in them though, so it's very likely they'll make a mistake and choose poorly.

Player Respawn

Neo Member
The last one I cared for (announcement wise) was 2011, but each one has disappointed me back to back since 2008. I stopped watching a couple years ago and I don’t regret it, so eh.

Fbh

I don't know why anyone would care about the awards when even the show itself treats them like an afterthought (aside from GOTY).
The funniest part is when they announce winners in bulk like it's some annoying shit they need to get out of the way.

But it's still fun to talk about the nominees and winners and at least the show generally has 2-3 interesting trailers and/or announcements which already makes it more watchable than most other awards shows.

shiru

Banned
"complaining about shitty thing means you care about shitty thing"
I don't think that makes any sense. But anyways, the game awards have always been a joke, like most awards shows. I guess they're fun to watch.

Ristifer

This board has a serious hate boner for Geoff. Try to obtain his phone number if you're that into him and are in denial.

Comandr

I like The Game Awards. The awards are whatever but I do like to see all of the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERS and Geoff awkwardly wait while some goofy developer is interviewing and throwing down f bombs.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

They even nominated Nibellion for 'content creator' , meanwhile Nibellion did nothing on Twitter except retweet news stories. Sure that deserves an award.

Why does anyone care about "The Game AwardsTM" ft Geoff the dorito pope
me

just watch the show you Negative Nancy
it's like watching the Eurovision

Last edited:
Top Bottom