• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who honestly cares about "The Game AwardsTM" ???

Markio128

These awards are important for the devs I guess, but I certainly don’t need validation for what I believe is my favourite game.

Fredrik

I don't get this recent movement of people being too cool for the awards show. Or it being too much of an ads-ridden show, but being hyped for a Nintendo or Sony direct, which in itself is an ads-ridden show lol
I’m not too cool lol I just don’t have the time. I never watch the Oscars either even though I’m a serious movie nerd.
A summary afterwards and links to the best trailers is enough for me.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would care about the awards when even the show itself treats them like an afterthought (aside from GOTY).
Seriously. And it's not like people don't care about the awards. That's like all people on here talk about.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
“Young Pope and God”

M26AfeRLhNDwrb4TjGVIOAnWscLuR8qFf5fXFWFNBwc.jpg

I care that Geoff gave enough of a shit to make an E3 type of an event when E3 stopped showing games.

To me trying to predict what will be cringe is part of the fun. I love when presenters fuck up, etc. It's hilarious. That's part of what being a gamer used to be.

I like The Game Awards. The awards are whatever but I do like to see all of the EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERS and Geoff awkwardly wait while some goofy developer is interviewing and throwing down f bombs.
Right, everything other than the actual awards are what makes this so much fun to watch. It's like the good ol' days watching E3.

Knightime_X

I just watch the VGA for game announcements.
It's like other E3.

I don't care who gets GOTY anymore, its meaning is lost now.

Roxkis_ii

To me, the show is just something to talk about. I mean, look how they nominated Stay for game of the year, isn't that crazy?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Second the Christmas E3 sentiment. Not because of the volume of exclusive reveals, bit the fucking sweet, Sweet cringe. GAF threads for TGA slap.

We've had Dimitrescu's Hello-Titty dress, we had THE GAMES HARASSMENT HOTLINE, we had Naughty Dog employees accepting awards from behind windows because of The Plague, 21st Century edition. We had Vin Diesel doing an epic, show closing reveal of a PS3 game in like 2020. The face razor mech. The goose shit. Eddie Vedder reading from a teleprompter stoned out of his mind congratulating Diehl Druckerman on his movie or whatever. We had fucking the reanimated corpse of Sting! MY GOD IT'S JUST SO FUCKING GOOD.

I think it’s nice when it sometimes brings attention to lower profile games but even compared to the oscars it’s pretty lame overall. If you’re an AAA action adventure/RPG with decent reception you are pretty much guaranteed to get a GOTY nomination. If you’re a blockbuster at the oscars you are absolutely not guaranteed a nomination, in fact it will more likely work against you.

There were games like Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium released in 2019 and The Outer Worlds still got the nod over them. You expect me to take that seriously?

Last edited:

Rockondevil

I'll watch the trailers for things that sound appealing afterwards, but those trailers would come regardless.

Otherwise the winner I give a few seconds thought.

Nautilus

Banned
I’m not too cool lol I just don’t have the time. I never watch the Oscars either even though I’m a serious movie nerd.
A summary afterwards and links to the best trailers is enough for me.
I meant this trend of publicly going out of your way saying that TGA is shit, not thinking that TGA is shit.

Last edited:

Kacho

TGAs are garbage but it's fun to discuss and rip apart.

You're right about the awards not meaning anything. Most of them get a tldr mention so they can air the next trailer. It's fookin' hysterical every time.

"Alright, time to give the award the best esports person. It's XkillerzX. Congrats XkillerzX. This next trailer is one you won't want to miss. Check it out."

Reactions: Isa

TransTrender

Gold Member
Never ever cared, not a single bit, ever, for this shit.
The only thing good to come out of them is the cringe and memes.

brian0057

Banned
Remember that Dragon Age: Inquisition won GOTY in 2014.
Also remember that Overwatch also won that award. It's a GOTY that can no longer be played.
They never had any credibility.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

-Zelda-

Banned
I'll wait for the individual trailer uploads once it ends, and for someone to make a seperate video for the orchestra section.

Lone Wolf

Like most, I look for the new reveals. We always get a couple good announcements. That’s what it’s good for.

nikos

I find the show entertaining, mostly for new trailers and its presentation. I appreciate Geoff's passion and commitment to the industry.

The actual awards take a bit of a back seat for me.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I do.
It's the only show we have left.
New games and awards. Awards are a good validation and reason for devs to try to win, because it's marketing

Leviathicus

Neo Member
I can't belive STRAY is nominated... I mean, nice graphics and art but 100% is not one of the top 5 best games of the year. Gameplay sucks, you can't even jump freely.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Too busy to watch any of these long, drawn out events with a low signal:noise ratio these days. Good for Geoff to build out this event though and fill a prestige awards event gap that the gaming industry had previously.

Isa

I too look forward to the reveals but little else. I probably won't tune in this year. Its just too much and I'm over it. I'll get a summary later. I do understand why it ruffles many a jimmy that TGA is so big though. For many, myself included, its among our favorite hobbies and we'd like a bit more respect shown. Instead we get a wannabe professional showman(he's done well I'll give him that) who'd be better off getting another presenter to host but that's not his MO. Geoff's been slowly building an entertainment ad empire that's trying to replace E3 and much more as a hub of news and reveals. For grognards its a mockery of the medium meant to flog the next current thing to a group they see as ignorant casuals. For others its a validation for their purchase of choice. Like metacritic clout and chasing I personally feel its been a net negative for the industry as a whole.

A real shame too since there are few other big public events anymore. There are some decent reveals to be had there though and can be reason enough to tune in. Suffering through adception will depend on one's own personal resilience and stamina however. Best of luck to those with the stomach for it.

tommib

I can't belive STRAY is nominated... I mean, nice graphics and art but 100% is not one of the top 5 best games of the year. Gameplay sucks, you can't even jump freely.
It’s a good thing you can’t jump freely. We have Tokyo Jungle for silly platform action.

Im not asking how can it be improved, because that will never happen. At least not from our input.
My apologies, give less focus to the specific words that I'm using. I was just instead giving an example on how you could present the thread more constructively. Regardless, I'm merely making a suggestion. You do what you feel is the best course of action, but just expect the type of answers to match the type of thread.

ikbalCO

I do.

When compared to movie and music industry, gaming is basically in its infancy so i like how the award show celebrates our general immaturity.

If you want class, wait for the 77th annual the game awards. If not, join us the awards night in the live reaction thread

digdug2

I agree with everyone saying that they like the reveals and updates. Listen, you have to have commercial support to run stuff like this and you'd be nuts to think otherwise.

consoul

Geoff and his advertisers care very much.

I'm fine with it. It's an event the community can watch together and talk about if they want to. No harm is done. If we're lucky something funny or remarkable happens.

Roberts

Never watched it, not even for the laughs like used to do with Oscars. I rarely ever say this about people, but I really can’t stand that Geoff guy. Something about him is both creepy and super phony.

Aenima

I enjoy it for its entertainment value. Its a well put toguether show focused around the videogame industry. The closest thing we have to a videogame oscar show.

Dont really care who wins awards or not, i see it as entertainment and if thers some new stuff revealed there then it was already good enough for me.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Just like the Oscars it's the industry sniffing its own stinky butthole. I guess it's fun for some people to see the world inside the bubble.

Barakov

I mean, Geoff always makes it a sales show. It's more for the publishers than the actual gamers.

Every year the show is trash too. So many commercials. So many awards given to devs who don't deserve it and devs who do get shafted.

They even nominated Nibellion for 'content creator' , meanwhile Nibellion did nothing on Twitter except retweet news stories. Sure that deserves an award.

Why does anyone care about "The Game AwardsTM" ft Geoff the dorito pope
They're good for announcements but really they're fun to laugh at.

I care about it as much as I care about single player modes in fighting games, which is almost zero. Almost. It's pointless for me personally, but if it gives more exposure to showcase games and generate hype for upcoming titles, it's a means to an end. We all care about the trailers and info dumps, so I'm cool with having an award show if it gives value outside of self indulgence, which is what the Game Awards does to their credit.

I say thumbs up, since everyone gets something they want in the end, but I totally understand where you are coming from.

ungalo

I'm interested in what the industry likes to praise. And it's very painful. You understand why the media is what it is afterwards. But i don't think it's something you should ignore entirely, because it's a fact that it has its influence.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Why does anyone have an interest in awards of any kind, unless you are in the business of recieving one? To justify your purchase?

Last edited:
Top Bottom