• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is asking for GaaS Games from Sony?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

Rayderism

I guess I understand why Sony wants to tap into the money stream that is GAAS games. They get a hit and they rake in the cash with minimal and/or funded effort.

But in the entire history of Playstation, I have only ever played two MP games, and they were racing games where I didn't have to talk to anyone. So unless they make some kind of Motorstorm-like GAAS game, I'll never play any of them. MP and GAAS is just not anything I'm into. Probably my old-school nature rearing it's head. MP to me meant a friend with controller 2 in their hand.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Shareholders I guess..

Sell a game at $70 and let your studio move on to another project that’ll take several years

or

Sell a game at $70 and let your studio just make drip-feed content for that one game to milk your customers for even more $ over time.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
And why should I care about that exactly if it's not resulting in products that I want?

Look at EA as an example - great from a business perspective, lucrative GAAS across majority of their portfolio and they've recently had record years from a financial perspective, yet they make fuck all that I'm interested in. So if Sony want to go down that path, where the pursuit becomes about money above anything else and they abandon their core values in the process (as in what makes playstation playstation and what made me a customer in the first place) then it's quite simple, I'm out. Xbox went down a similar path after the 360 (yet I still made the mistake of buying an OG Xbox One), I said bye bye and they've done nothing since that makes me want to return.

Sony are only doing 2 big single player exclusives a year of late because they are choosing to and are redirecting investment elsewhere, that much is evident. If they continue on this tragectory soon it will be just one and then before we know it we end up with Xbox's 2022.

What people fail to realise is that GaaS is capital/resource intensive, more so than single player games in many ways due to the ongoing attention and investment required. Look at what has happened to companies like Valve and Rockstar since they stumbled upon TF2 and GTA online respectively. A lot of their focus becomes about milking those games instead of making more Half Life's and single player GTA experiences. Playstation will suffer the same fate while embarking on this path, regardless of whether any of their GAAS games are successful, the allure of highly lucrative success being right around the corner is too much.

Somebody pin this fucking great post ...it will be relevant in the future.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Most valuable as in the ones who generate more revenue for them? I don’t know if that is true at all… I’m their worst costumer since I mostly play single player games, buy mostly physical and don’t buy any extras…

You have in the last 5 to 10 years already multiple examples of Entertainment companies flushing down the toilet their loyal fanbase in pursuit of something broader, mainstream and updated for modern audiences and failing miserable, be in pursuit of money and/or ideology.

Young new audiences are volatile, new products are volatile, core fans who games and past that love for the next generation are not ... my son watchs me play single player games a lot, one day he will like to play Im sure, for now his thing is mobile, but Im sure thst little by little im influencing him is his tastes as is the same for sports, tv and etc.

Once Sony/playstation looses ME , they lost my son and his son, because who the fuck knows in 5 or 10 years what the new "thing" will be ...

Retaining millions of core and loyal fans should be important for any business.

ToadMan

Hahaha i wanted to post this. You see...the same people are now complaing about Sony investing in MP/GaaS.

Hehe. I know - that was passing through my mind while watching the show and seeing the reactions … how times change I guess. 🤣

I want to see more of these announced games from Haven and Firewalk. Concorde teaser had a great retro Scifi vibe.

I’m curious about them too. Concord and Marathon in particular. I’m not sure they’re games I’d play much though.

Marathon in particular is interesting if only because that has a history that predates Halo even. Bungie have something they’re stuck on in that IP.

Who Cares if it’s Gaas games? If the games are good im Buying them.

I like my Multiplayer games and my Single player games.
Just enjoy them games .

Y’all worry to much about spending 10 dollars on a Battle Pass.

RCU005

Why are good Single Player stories not good enough?

Not all games have to be Single player. The problem is the live service aspect. They want to rob you of every dime you have, but people pay, so that’s the bigger issue.

Fahdis

Who Cares if it’s Gaas games? If the games are good im Buying them.

I like my Multiplayer games and my Single player games.
Just enjoy them games .

Y’all worry to much about spending 10 dollars on a Battle Pass.

The experience is literally just repitition in a different skin 🫡

icerock

Their biggest cash cow studio from which they have been milking money for 2 decades with Uncharted and TLOU have just got their GaaS canned. Their next SP game is at least 3 years away, more realistically 4.

I find it mental how badly duo of Hermen and Jim have mismanaged the first party slate. I shudder to think what the PS5 first 2 years would've looked like if these two buffoons got their jobs 3 years earlier. Let's hope they have the sense to pivot, and pivot fast when all the derivate GaaS crap they are trying to build flops.

schaft0620

The player is asking for them

Today's count
1. CS:GO ~800K Concurrent players
2. DOTA ~365K Concurrent players
10. War Thunder ~60K Concurrent players

Thousands of games then:
The Last of Us ~1,360 Concurrent
God of War ~1,475 Concurrent
Uncharted ~300 Concurrent players
Sackboy ~50 Concurrent players

Woopah

What games are you talking about? The sony showcase didn't show any first party games except for Spiderman and that one is not a gas game.
They will likely go into PS+ subscriptions. Like MS day one GaaS. This is likely what is driving the push for it much like how it did for MS.

Concord, FAIR GAME$, Marathon. These are all first party.
Helldivers 2 is published by Sony as well.

unlurkified

Shareholders. That’s probably it.

Destiny 2 has never really been that popular since its disastrous launch drove a lot of players away. I don’t know why Sony are banking on Bungee to lay the golden egg and carry them in their new gaas push.

Why not? Sony need a good GaaS Ip to bring in constant revenue streams.

JUst look at the COD drama now.

Because it sucks for us single player game lovers. The audience of people catered towards over the previous 3 generations, over 25 years, that Sony built their brand on.

Did you watch the Sony conference? It was all GaaS from Sony. It was depressing as hell. We're fully involved in an entirely new direction of GaaS shitty games. The gaming industry is focused almost entirely on "services" now and it absolutely sucks for gaming.

Just look at what's become of the Xbox brand and now Sony. There's going to continue to be so much bullshit gamers have to deal with and less great single player games.

There will still be some good ones but the amount of BS driven by greed and exploiting gamers keeps increasing.

Which I categorise as nuveu du gameurs. People who are so new to gaming that they just discovered 60fps and think its end all be all. Or played Elden ring and like to boast about gameplay only

Of all the causes to take up for championing 30 fps had to be the most bizarre. Sixty fps is wonderful. It improves the gaming experience. Also, there's this thing called performance modes so games can have 30 and 60. I really wish you would stop making gamers out to be "newbs who just discovered 60 fps" because you guys sound rediculous. Console gamers have been hoping for more 60 fps games ever since we saw PC gamers having smoother experiences with less lag for years and years.

I'm a graphics whore too but wanting to get rid of 60 fps is absurd. That's what you're advocating for.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Because it sucks for us single player game lovers. The audience of people catered towards over the previous 3 generations, over 25 years, that Sony built their brand on.

Did you watch the Sony conference? It was all GaaS from Sony. It was depressing as hell. We're fully involved in an entirely new direction of GaaS shitty games. The gaming industry is focused almost entirely on "services" now and it absolutely sucks for gaming.

Just look at what's become of the Xbox brand and now Sony. There's going to continue to be so much bullshit gamers have to deal with and less great single player games.

There will still be some good ones but the amount of BS driven by greed and exploiting gamers keeps increasing.
im sure the next showcase will be better.
Sony need GaaS money to fund SP games.

I mean there are other third party GaaS that brings in renevue for Sony, but i think Sony is very cautious of acquisitions, so they have to invest in their own GaaS

It does seem a little ridiculous in a world where Hogwarts, Spider-Man, God of War, Zelda, Elden Ring, etc all sell 20 million copies and those are essentially guaranteed hits as long as the quality is there….

And these companies want to chase Live Service stuff where you can have a great playing game but it flops because that market is fickle and engrained?

The SP audience buys the bangers whenever they come out, it’s pretty much a lock. The Fortnite kiddies are unlikely to switch no matter how good your new live service game is

Just really dumb and greedy imho

No matter which platform you use (Steam, PSN, XBL, etc) GAAS is the most played games PERIOD. Sorry, but Jim Ryan is by the numbers guy and rightfully so. He is doing what share holders want. MAKE MONEY.

It does seem a little ridiculous in a world where Hogwarts, Spider-Man, God of War, Zelda, Elden Ring, etc all sell 20 million copies and those are essentially guaranteed hits as long as the quality is there….

And these companies want to chase Live Service stuff where you can have a great playing game but it flops because that market is fickle and engrained?

The SP audience buys the bangers whenever they come out, it’s pretty much a lock. The Fortnite kiddies are unlikely to switch no matter how good your new live service game is

Just really dumb and greedy imho
Those games take 5 years to make and still carry a financial risk. Once the first few months are over, those games sales drop unless the games get bundled or massive price drop.

DrFigs

No matter which platform you use (Steam, PSN, XBL, etc) GAAS is the most played games PERIOD. Sorry, but Jim Ryan is by the numbers guy and rightfully so. He is doing what share holders want. MAKE MONEY.
Of all the things to dislike Jim Ryan for, this is definitely the silliest. Playstation doesn't have any standout multiplayer games at all - with the exception of GT7 for racing enthusiasts, and they're possibly going to lose COD and Overwatch. It shows a lot of foresight on Jim's part to plan to have substitute games in development.

Of all the things to dislike Jim Ryan for, this is definitely the silliest. Playstation doesn't have any standout multiplayer games at all - with the exception of GT7 for racing enthusiasts, and they're possibly going to lose COD and Overwatch. It shows a lot of foresight on Jim's part to plan to have substitute games in development.

Isn’t Bungie enough though?

Don’t need 12 live service games, just get Bungie to expand and develop 3-4 simultaneous properties

Maybe that’s the idea with Firewalk; they’re in Washington where Bungie is. If they fail, just incorporate them into Bungie

can you ask...i dunno a luxury car brand to make a car for peasants.

iQUYcQt.jpg

if even Rockstar failed at doing MP/GaaS at the same level of quality as their Single Player content...what can you expect from any studio in the industry?.

For Sony to attempt such undertaking they shuld be as big as Ubisoft...and look at ubisoft; no one wants them.

can you blame sony for trying?...Of course not.

but if thier intention is to make MP/GaaS with the same PlayStation's production values that everyone expects....sony better be at peace at throwing billions of dollars down the drain.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Every single one of these scams look exactly the same. There's already so much time and attention people can give to gaming in general without a company trying to take money for an MTX Skin for my character's balls or tits. Why are good Single Player stories not good enough?

Either investors are getting super greedy or companies are out of touch with their target audiences. I read today that Millenials are the target demographic, are they the ones playing GaaS games? Looks more like a Gen Z trend. Literally copies of each other, fucking rainbows everywhere and have no sense of identity. Seeing that 60% will be live service, I feel sorry for what's to come for the industry in general without any innovation.

Have fun playing the same shit for the next decade. I know this is hyperbole, but gaming is fucking dead.

Industry Focus:
- Remakes
- GaaS

Genres:
- First Person Shooters
- Fantasy with Swords
- Zombies
- Cyber/Steampunk

We are lucky to get things like the Plucky Squire once in a while. Indies are alright, at least they are more innovative than AAA.
That's a video game industry kind of thing where the big studios and companies typically focus only on big projects and following the trend. That's one way to maximize sales and profits.

Another way is to take a more diversified approach of big selling/high cost to make games + lower selling/low cost to make games.

If these companies can figure out how to have a portfolio of different brands and high/low cost stuff, I'm sure gaming companies can too. There's lots of $19.99 kinds of indies games that sell well. And with lower costs to make surely hit the jackpot in profits. My company is the same. Some of our most profitable products arent even the biggest sellers. Not even close. It can be a product ranked in the bottom 50% of sales. But the cost to make is low, so in terms of profits it's a top 20% ranker. To me, those kinds of products are like indie games.

Often times the biggest selling products we sell have great top line sales, but profits might be shit as it costs a lot to make and the company funnels marketing costs to the popular items. And the popular items are all the ones every company is fighting with, so marketing and discount costs go through the roof. But that product we sell ranked 200th in sales just hums along doing it's own thing.

consumer-brands-1070.jpg

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Sony making GAAS games seems like they would be eating their own lunch to a degree. The beauty of the digital age is Sony gets a cut of every transaction. It almost seems better to feed off other successful GAAS games from third parties. Why take the risk and end up with a flop, look at other companies who keep trying to chase that fortnight success. Better off to keep making games they are good at.

DrFigs

Don’t need 12 live service games, just get Bungie to expand and develop 3-4 simultaneous properties

Maybe that’s the idea with Firewalk; they’re in Washington where Bungie is. If they fail, just incorporate them into Bungie
Having so many in development always seemed excessive. It's not clear to me where the Bungie acquisition fits into this timeline - if these games were greenlit before negotiations or whatever. idk. It certainly was not handled well. And we're seeing now that hopefully a lot of these games are going to get cancelled before they're even announced. Hermen Hulst seems to be doing a pretty bad job managing playstation studios. But the idea of investing more in live service games was not bad in itself.

They won't lose COD and Overwatch, but I can see a lot of PS owners who play nothing but COD go to xbox just because of game pass and marketing rights/console bundles. Also, use these games as leverage to remove Xbox live gold because the MT from these games will make MSFT a lot more money.

The risk is much less than GaaS

The AAA formula ain’t hard to do at this point, just takes resources and time. But if you build it, they will come
I disagree, there has been AAA games that flopped and didn't make Sony any money. All you need is one good GAAS and then BOOM you are set for life pretty much. Look at fortnite and minecraft.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

One of the execs last year said something like "all we need is one to be successful". So what they are doing is taking a shotgun approach. If one of them does gangbusters, any other one doing bad will likely get gassed fast. Lets face it, Sony cuts the cord on MP servers fast to begin with regarding games with low online user counts.

Sony actually already has a super successful GAAS game. That Grand Order Fate game nobody talks about since it's mobile. Its done like $4 billion since launch. But since it's some reason under the Sony Music division and a mobile game, nobody talks about it here. Sony would love to replicate that with a traditional console game.

Last edited:
One of the execs last year said something like "all we need is one to be successful". So what they are doing is taking a shotgun approach. If one of them does gangbusters, any other one doing bad will likely get gassed fast.

I think the shotgun approach is wrong because it very likely just pissing money away

I think building around Bungie is the best strategy. Go all in or go home. Make your GaaS have enough resources to be a success

On the top of my head. Killzone, Knack, Days gone, Dreams, and Sackboy on the top of my head. There are more examples too if we look at the PS3 era.

Days Gone sold very well despite the less than stellar reviews. If it had sold horribly I think Bend would have been shut down

Killzone is an ancient title so doesn’t really count. Knack was never AAA, nor Dreams or Sackboy.

It depends on the franchises. There are many that need and deserve to be remade, but we also need new IPs. After all, our beloved franchises started being new.
I agree with you, I love discovering new IPs and/or new entries in established IPs but like you said it depends on the franchise.

Speaking of remakes, I'm hopeful for the Splinter Cell Remake that they announced 1.5 year ago. We'll see how that turns out eventually.

Days Gone sold very well despite the less than stellar reviews. If it had sold horribly I think Bend would have been shut down

Killzone is an ancient title so doesn’t really count. Knack was never AAA, nor Dreams or Sackboy.

Doesn't matter if Killzone is ancient. It was a AAA game from Sony. Knack, Dreams and sackboy were full price so it must've been expensive to make. Also, there is rumors circulating TLOU2 didn't make its money back. That is why naughty dog was making a GAAS game and remade TLOU part 1.

Days gone flopped that is why there is no sequel.

"According to former Bend Studio staffer Jeff Ross, Days Gone too sold over eight million copies within a year and a half of release but it was still portrayed as a disappointment."

Last edited:
Top Bottom