• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is more annoying?

Who is more annoying?

• Total voters

radewagon

Three-way tie between the ones that aren't Gordon Freeman.

I think the option 'all except Freeman' would have been popular.
I dunno, guys. I chose Gordon Freeman and would gladly do so again. I can't stand a silent protagonist where the silence doesn't follow some sort of in-universe logic. I get that Doomguy doesn't talk to people. He's Doomguy. But Gordon's just like a regular super violent scientist. People are always talking directly to him. There's no reason for him to not speak. You'd think a scientist would have a bit more verbal agency. But nope. It doesn't help that fans (and NPC's) absolutely love the guy for having literally zero observable character traits outside of murdering stuff.

kyussman

Male protag.....takes out a platoon of enemy soldiers......doesn't say a word.
Female protag.....look at me I'm sliding down a hill,look at me I'm jumping over a wall,look at me I've got a new dress,look at me......shut the fuck up,lol.

Imagine placing Forspoken alongside half Life(even as a joke), god of war, horizon. I've seen a lot of dumb topics in my life but this tops them all. Op deserves a ban.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Imagine placing Forspoken alongside half Life(even as a joke), god of war, horizon. I've seen a lot of dumb topics in my life but this tops them all. Op deserves a ban.
See Ya Goodbye GIF by One Day At A Time

brian0057

Banned
I dunno, guys. I chose Gordon Freeman and would gladly do so again. I can't stand a silent protagonist where the silence doesn't follow some sort of in-universe logic. I get that Doomguy doesn't talk to people. He's Doomguy. But Gordon's just like a regular super violent scientist. People are always talking directly to him. There's no reason for him to not speak. You'd think a scientist would have a bit more verbal agency. But nope. It doesn't help that fans (and NPC's) absolutely love the guy for having literally zero observable character traits outside of murdering stuff.
Maybe.
But when the point of the game is to give every living thing in your immediate vicinity a 12 gauge coffee break, talking becomes kind of unnecessary.

Last edited:

RafterXL

I picked Horizon FW, simply because Aloy wasn't nearly as annoying in the first game, so it just amplified it in the second. God of War can't be the pick because HFW and Forspoken exist, but fuck Atreus anyway. Forspoken isn't the pick because who really cares about Forspoken at this point? It's a shitty, forgettable game all around.

kiphalfton

At least that is meant to be annoying (as is the case with all his characters).

I think the devs thought with the other characters, it would create some sort of emotional connection. However, they were dead wrong and the only emotion it illicited is being annoyed.

Last edited:

nikos

Didn’t play Forspoken or HFW, but Aloy was insufferable in the first game which is the reason why I never finished it. The characters in TLoU are just as bad, maybe worse.

OZ9000

Banned
The constant dialogue in these type of games pisses me off a lot.

God of War 2018 was way better than Ragnarok, which is a game clearly catered to the tiktok generation. I thought the quality of writing in Ragnarok was horrendous and a huge step back from the previous game.

Last edited:
Haven't played Forspoken but from what I've seen in videos the conversations seem atrocious.

God of War Ragnarök is by far the worst game in that aspect, that I've played. Atreus and all his teenage friends really ruined the game for me, I can't believe this hasn't brought the scores down significantly.

The dialogue and much of the storytelling is astoundingly bad.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Haven't played Forspoken but from what I've seen in videos the conversations seem atrocious.

God of War Ragnarök is by far the worst game in that aspect, that I've played. Atreus and all his teenage friends really ruined the game for me, I can't believe this hasn't brought the scores down significantly.

The dialogue and much of the storytelling is astoundingly bad.
My problem with God of War Ragnarök’s dialogue is the game has this mythological setting and yet most characters and especially the kids talk as if they are school kids from our world.

GymWolf

Father you are on fire! But you probably already know that.

It can't be beaten.

And you can't turn that shit down like in forspoken.

Last edited:

Filben

Liked Aloy. It was more that I needed to constantly collect things that was annoying. Neither fish nor fowl; for a survival sim it's too arcady, for an action game the pace suffered due to the collecting.

As far as goes Forspoken, tried the demo and she wasn't as annoying as in the trailers but I also reduced the banter in the options. But from the trailers, yes, she's the most annoying.

But so was Boy in God of War. Or Hugo in A Plague Tale.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Liked Aloy. It was more that I needed to constantly collect things that was annoying. Neither fish nor fowl; for a survival sim it's too arcady, for an action game the pace suffered due to the collecting.

As far as goes Forspoken, tried the demo and she wasn't as annoying as in the trailers but I also reduced the banter in the options. But from the trailers, yes, she's the most annoying.

But so was Boy in God of War. Or Hugo in A Plague Tale.

Horizon a survival game?

Laugh Laughing GIF

Filben

Horizon a survival game?

Laugh Laughing GIF
Yes, exactly what it's not. Yet it wants you to gather resources in the wild "for the trail", as Aloy puts it, to live of of ressources found in the wilds and craft what you need in order to survive (which is mostly traps and ammo).

Just let me refill my health items when I rest somewhere, like refilling potions in TW3 when you mediate.

I think it adds very little to experience beyond the first two or three times.

unlurkified

Atreus is pretty annoying in both games and the interaction between his and Kratos’ characters really isn’t that interesting imo. Not sure why the story is so lauded.

Played HFW for 85 hrs and loved it, but man the way they made Aloy so emo and one-toned was baffling. Every other word was a sigh.

“Ahhh, I guess I should collect those herbs for that medicine to help that person.”

“Ahhh, here you go.” (with a constipated smile)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've no interest in Forspoken so I have no idea but I wish Atreus had a mute button

Vick

Transparent OP for a transparent Thread.

That said, based on Trailers I would never buy Forspoken. Definition of a cringefest.

Atreus was supposed to be annoying because of who he really is, and I was by far more annoyed by the inferior writing compared to GoW 2018.
Aloy in FW is a huge upgrade in every way compared to her infallible, stoic, smartass character in Zero Dawn, so not sure what the hell some posters are smoking.

Last edited:

DonF

Kinda old now, but I hated Nathan drake's unlimited comments. The guys is most of the time alone yet talks way too much. And it's very useless dialogue... that and all the "wowow no nonoonoNONO" etc. It was very annoying.

Top Bottom