• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why buy a Gaming Headset?

which one do YOU perfer?

• Gaming Headset

Votes: 67 41.4%
  • Audiophile Headphones

Votes: 95 58.6%

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Frankly, i don't see the use unless you're like dead broke or some shit. Audiophile stuff has better sound in every way and better 3d sound thanks to most of the best headphones being open backs & having amazing soundstage. (Sennheiser HD600, Hifiman Sundara, AKG K240) Most microphones provide way better audio, too. Even something cheap like a blue snowball which is 50 bucks has a better mic than every headset i can think of. Even then, the "headsets are cheaper" excuse isn't the best since you can get some KZ ZSN Pro Xs for like 20 dollars these days, and they have fucking amazing audio for that price- they're the budget king. 70 dollars spent and already you've got a better deal than most headsets. Seems kinda useless to me tbh.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Even something cheap like a blue snowball which is 50 bucks has a better mic than every headset i can think of. Even then, the cheap excuse isn't the best since you can get some KZ ZSN Pro Xs for like 20 dollars these days, and they have fucking amazing audio for that price- they're the budget king. 70 dollars spent and already you've got a better deal than most headsets. Seems kinda useless to me tbh.

And put the mic on the desk like some kinda streaming pauper? No thanks, that shit needs to be attached to the headset. I have some cheap Turtle Beach headphones that do the job when playing an online game (which is almost never tbh), and I have expensive audio headsets that do a completely different job.

Fools idol

Banned
I've owned these for 3-4 years now and they are perfect. Hyper X Cloud II

Good enough quality mic, extremely comfortable for long sessions, and sub $100.

71MJ3OaVqBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Build quality is decent too, I owned two pairs of Steelseries syberia's and my cats chewed through the cables within weeks of each other, these bad boys are thick and cat teeth proof.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Because neighboors can call the police on me if i play at high volume after 11 pm.

Usually i don't really give 2 fucks from where the sound come from.

Sentenza

"A good microphone can offer so much more".

Yeah, look, I don't give a shit. I'm not a twitch streamer.
More often than not when I bother joining Discord with friends I'm chatting with them between short gaming sessions, while walking all over my house doing my own shit with a wireless headset.

I'm not sitting in one place being smug about the perfect studio-like audio quality.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Build quality is decent too, I owned two pairs of Steelseries syberia's and my cats chewed through the cables within weeks of each other, these bad boys are thick and cat teeth proof.
Same here, they are very good, the only issue is the cable is not replaceable and that is the most likely part to break. .my first pair lasted about 3yrs though, so its still pretty good. I managed to get a 2nd pair real cheap and they are still good after a year. Which u could replace the cable though.

Frankly, i don't see the use unless you're like dead broke or some shit. Audiophile stuff has better sound in every way and better 3d sound thanks to most of the best headphones being open backs & having amazing soundstage. (Sennheiser HD600, Hifiman Sundara, AKG K240) and most microphones provide way better audio. Even something cheap like a blue snowball which is 50 bucks has a better mic than every headset i can think of. Even then, the cheap excuse isn't the best since you can get some KZ ZSN Pro Xs for like 20 dollars these days, and they have fucking amazing audio for that price- they're the budget king. 70 dollars spent and already you've got a better deal than most headsets. Seems kinda useless to me tbh.

I have had many gaming headset that were adequate but the Audeze Penrose X that I have right now could easily be considered audiophile grade. Lack of wireless tech is the line in the sand for me in regards to 'audiophile' headphones. This may be a negative to some but having trailing wires is a real drawback. I'm happy to accept a small hit to audio clarity in order to have a wire free experience. Another benefit to gaming headsets is the inclusion of a simultaneous Bluetooth connection. I can connect a tablet or phone while gaming for background music, discord or whatever.

chixdiggit

Most of my gaming is done on Sennheiser. But when I do need a mic, it's just so much more convenient to use a set with it built in.

SJRB

Gold Member
I bought that PS5 headset and it was the biggest mistake in my life. What a piece of shit. Terrible form factor, remarkably uncomfortable to wear with pretty much zero options for adjusting, and mediocre audio output to boot.

Went back to my Sennheisers within a day.

Sentenza

Also, not sure where this fucking myth of "audiophile" gear being cheap is even supposed to come from.
More often than not even just a pair of good headphones with no microphone included can cost even twice as much as most mid-tier gaming headsets.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think it's pricetag and what to expect. I like the Pulse 3D so far and waiting for the new Inzone H7 and H9 reviews vs Pulse 3D if I want to upgrade. Would rather use Sony's MDR-7506 for perfect neutrality for video/audio editing and monitoring which is dirt-cheap at $80-90 and even found it here for like $65.

John Bilbo

Convenience when playing with mates using the microphone talking shit. With a detachable mic you can use the headphones elsewhere too.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think it's pricetag and what to expect. I like the Pulse 3D so far and waiting for the new Inzone H7 and H9 reviews vs Pulse 3D if I want to upgrade. Would rather use Sony's MDR-7506 for perfect neutrality for video/audio editing and monitoring which is dirt-cheap at $80-90 and even found it here for like $65.
£80 on Amazon with 18k reviews at 4.7/5 - looks like a great set.

SSfox

Usually i prefer speakers/ bars, but with XBox 360 and PS4 used a lot of headset when the consoles were super loud cause it help in that sens.

Last edited:
A good audio improves the immersion in the game, it may not give much to someone, personally I consider it an important part as the graphics.
However, no problem if people like crappy stereo 2.0
There are gaming headsets that have excellent audio quality without bothering the audiophile department.
I have ASTRO A50 and I wouldn't buy anything else.

Three

But I thought everyone was saying wires strangle and kill you. What are all these wired headsets I'm seeing.

I suspect that a lot of people buy official console gaming headsets for convenience and guaranteed compatibility.

JackSparr0w

Banned
A good audio improves the immersion in the game, it may not give much to someone, personally I consider it an important part as the graphics.
However, no problem if people like crappy stereo 2.0
There are gaming headsets that have excellent audio quality without bothering the audiophile department.
I have ASTRO A50 and I wouldn't buy anything else.
Earbuds provide the best immersion. Having giant cans strapped to your head is not every immersive...

thief183

Steelseries artis pro with the dac here, it is a Gaming headphone but I'm quite sure many ppl don't realize how good thay sound. Also HD audio is something else, took me a week to adjust but it has been worth it.

buenoblue

I've bin using lucid sound ls30 for a few years now. Got them on sale for £70 like 4-5 years ago. Sound great. Playstation and Xbox wireless compatible which is rare, and pc Obviously. Can also be used with a wire.
iieoNbJ.png
iieoNbJ.png

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So you can play / watch Netflix etc / listen to music when others are asleep :messenger_horns:

Because neighboors can call the police on me if i play at high volume after 11 pm.

Usually i don't really give 2 fucks from where the sound come from.

Did you guys not read the OP?

Why Gaming Headsets instead of just "good headsets".

REDRZA MWS

For my Series X I guess I have the best of both worlds. I use the Bang&Olefsun Portals. Expensive, “audiophile”, but I would have never got them if they weren’t specifically designed to work with my Series X. They are great. Super lightweight and comfortable. Totally wireless with a really long battery life, noise cancelling, great sound. Again, they were really expensive BUT, I only purchased them because they are designed to work with my Xbox.
P5NSF6H.jpg

7rFPWbe.jpg

Phillips Fidelio X2HR open back cans with a Vmoda Boompro Mic for me, works really nicely and if you want to just listen to music you can use a different cable.

51S1Z+dWI5L._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Yes it must be something akin to these. Can have them on for hours.

I can't figure out how people can put up with leather near ears - it's beyond uncomfortable, gets hot super fast and disgustingly dirty. My guess that all of them have never in their lives tried proper audiophile headphones and don't know better.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yes it must be something akin to these. Can have them on for hours.

I can't figure out how people put up with leather near ears - it's beyond uncomfortable, gets hot fast and digustinly dirty. My guess that all of them never in their lives have tried proper confortable audiophile headphones.

Curious. What are you plugging those audiophile headsets into with Xbox? Your controller or TV?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

My go to cans when I can not let sound leak but prefer open back when I can.

If anyone is looking for a cheap great pair of open backs look into the Phillips SHP9500s they are damn good and can be had for around $50 on amazon at times

THEAP99

Banned
Headphones suck honestly. I'm so over them. I've had my hyper x alpha for 4 years now and they're easily the best gaming headset I've had.

But I'm never buying another pair and I barely use the alpha's these days cus I find myself wanting to use speakings.. seriously, wearing shit on my head suck. Would rather wear earbuds for gaming than a dorky headset

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Headphones suck honestly. I'm so over them. I've had my hyper x alpha for 4 years now and they're easily the best gaming headset I've had.

But I'm never buying another pair and I barely use the alpha's these days cus I find myself wanting to use speakings.. seriously, wearing shit on my head suck. Would rather wear earbuds for gaming than a dorky headset

I too just throw in some ear buds way more often than headphones and really love the 1MORE Triple Drivers but even cheapos sound good enough

Only time I usually wear headphones is when I really need to be immersed in the game

spons

Gold Member
Quality of "gaming gear" is poor, usually anyway. I just use my Sony WH-1000XM3 with noise cancelling, never even tried the microphone to be honest since I rarely play online.
You can plug it into the Xbox controller and turn it on, then use all the good features. Or just wireless trough Bluetooth on the Switch.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

That’s a very good headset, yes.

Top Bottom