• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you prefer single player games?

What turns you off from multiplayer most? (Choose up to 3)

• No pause button. Life interrupts game time a lot in my house.

• I don't like getting ganked by sweats.

• I really just prefer story in my games.

• I don't like the social aspect. I don't want to be beholden to teammates.

• I don't like how repetitive they tend to be.

• I don't like feeling I have to devote 40hrs/week to them in order to compete.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
hero

fortnite-image-10.jpg

the-office-pam-beesly.gif

97% of games are just controlling avatars in interesting worlds, right? The best ones attempt to lay out compelling rewards + dangers in those worlds.

If that's the case, why is there such a wide divide amongst gamers who strongly prefer single player over multiplayer, and vice versa?

For multiplayer gamers, the complaint is near universal (unless I'm mistaken). AI is often too predictable and easy for long term engagement. But what is it for single player gamers? What is it about multiplayer that prevents your enjoyment?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
People are idiots. I tried that Microsoft team based game bleeding edge and nobody did the objective. Everyone just wants pvp. Basically the only multiplayer worth a shit is when the only objective is to get kills. Nobody wants to actually do objectives.

Also just being able to pick up and play with quick resume anytime for single player is goat

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
100% I prefer SP games, I no longer play any MP games, I just don't like the idea playing with other people. For me gaming is my me time I dont want anyone else interfere with that.

Theoretically, if you couldn't tell the difference between awesome AI and human opponents AND you weren't expected to socialize with anyone, would that make a difference?

Bojji

I see MP games as waste of time. I can complete SP games, enjoy the story, gameplay, world etc. and move on to another game. While people waste hundreds of hours in their favorite MP and achieve what? I don't know the answer and I'm not sure if I even want to know it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

In short: MP can't be completed, I see no point in them and I like good storytelling in games so SP is where I will always be.

Last edited:

wvnative

People are idiots. I tried that Microsoft team based game bleeding edge and nobody did the objective. Everyone just wants pvp. Basically the only multiplayer worth a shit is when the only objective is to get kills. Nobody wants to actually do objectives.

Also just being able to pick up and play with quick resume anytime for single player is goat

R6 Siege is one of my all time favorite multiplayer games, but I think I haven't played in...5 months? It's reached a point where, you may get a troll free match...1 out of 30 matches? And the one time your troll free, your teammates will be well intentiond, but complete morons who play it like COD (Spoiler alert, that don't work)

Too tired to deal with it now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Theoretically, if you couldn't tell the difference between awesome AI and human opponents AND you weren't expected to socialize with anyone, would that make a difference?
For one these days even if you want to play any MP games you need to pay subscriptions, so if I don’t care about socializing in games why would I waste money on subscriptions? Also i can play SP games completely offline, it doesn’t matter how old the game is.

Arthimura

Most people that are really into multiplayer games don't have "video-games" as their hobby. Their hobby is a specific game, like World of WarCraft, League of Legends, CS: GO, Street Fighter V, etc. They hardly ever play anything else.

Even because most of these games requires quite some dedication for the player to be at least decent.

I play some multiplayer games once in a while but after dozens of hours or even less you kind of saw everything the games has to offer, so I don't see a reason to keep playing. For me, the main point of video-games is to have new experiences.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

You need to add:

"I don't feel pleasure from competing with others in computer games"

I'm a nerd I like exploring worlds and seeing how tech has advanced in games. MP games are mostly for people who are interested in competition, not the games presentation, whereas that's mostly what I care about.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
For one these days even if you want to play any MP games you need to pay subscriptions, so if I don’t care about socializing in games why would I waste money on subscriptions? Also i can play SP games completely offline, it doesn’t matter how old the game is.

Ok, so if there was a game where you couldn't tell if the AI was brilliant or if it was human controlled, you weren't expected to socialize with anyone, and it didn't have a subscription, could you theoretically be interested?

Danjin44

Ok, so if there was a game where you couldn't tell if the AI was brilliant or if it was human controlled, you weren't expected to socialize with anyone, and it didn't have a subscription, could you theoretically be interested?
Already played game like that and it was Journey, Also type of games I enjoy is me fighting monster and huge bosses not shooters who mostly fighting other human enemies.

Hunnybun

I mainly play games for escapism, and multiplayer competitive games simply aren't escapist. In fact they're be usually brutally sobering and intense.

I don't mind that kind of experience per se, but then the other problem arises: you're only good at one of those games if you're as good as the average players and that just demands insane investment. I've literally no interest in doing that. And I'm a terrible losers, so playing them badly is a non-starter.

If they could solve that issue so I could just play against very casual players then I'd be much more willing to give these games a go.

TonyK

I truly hate real people in my games. Recently I played at last Journey, a game I didn't play before because of the social aspect, and I ended shutting off internet connection to prevent people joining my play.

It is like reading a book with a stranger breathing and looking my book above my shoulder.

Fredrik

Life has too many pauses.

And I played UNO, a feel good family game, at a free Xbox Live weekend. When people started swearing and being shitheads because it took a few seconds to do the turn I noped my way from Xbox Live.

I’ve tried some Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite through Gamepass Ultimate, without voice, it was quite fun for 15 minutes I guess but it’s still not for me, too repetitive for any longer session.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You need to add:

"I don't feel pleasure from competing with others in computer games"

I'm a nerd I like exploring worlds and seeing how tech has advanced in games.

So if there was a multiplayer game, where you weren't expected to compete with anyone, and the focus was instead on exploring interesting worlds (and it was technologically advanced) could you see yourself being interested?

No such game currently exists, but if it did, would it appeal to you?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
R6 Siege is one of my all time favorite multiplayer games, but I think I haven't played in...5 months? It's reached a point where, you may get a troll free match...1 out of 30 matches? And the one time your troll free, your teammates will be well intentiond, but complete morons who play it like COD (Spoiler alert, that don't work)

Too tired to deal with it now.
Yeah I wanna jump back into siege but I know I’ll need to warm up for a bit and people don’t tolerate that. Don’t feel like being screamed at for trying to get good again. I wish people would learn that literally kills games

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Most people that are really into multiplayer games don't have "video-games" as their hobby. Their hobby is a specific game, like World of WarCraft, League of Legends, CS: GO, Street Fighter V, etc. They hardly ever play anything else.
As someone that prefer online games but still use time on single player games.
dd0.png

Kuranghi

So if there was a multiplayer game, where you weren't expected to compete with anyone, and the focus was instead on exploring interesting worlds (and it was technologically advanced) could you see yourself being interested?

I thiiiink so, but the issue might still be that I need multiplayer buddies who are into stopping and taking a knee constantly.

Maybe if stopping to examine the world was how you played the game then yeah. Like a multiplayer The Witness? I feel like Campo Santo's next game could be this maybe.

Even if it wasn't amazing graphically but had cool new physics or something new then that would be enough.

Maybe this could be what Everwild is, hard to tell tho, too early.

Bartski

Gold Member
99% of voice chat interactions with randoms is pure cancer. Also, people don't understand using headphones and having a good level mic input free of bleed, feedback, or backround noise (that includes listening to their own music on PA in the room they're sitting in) is basic online etiquette

Danjin44

At that point what is point of being the MP game, that you need to be online? You can do all of that offline and not worry about other players interfering.

Last edited:
Multiplayer games are awesome but as you get older it's significantly more difficult to get everyone together with the same game at the same time and have people actually motivated. Single player is totally within your control to play when you want, so it's just easier.

I still play tons of Splatoon though, and will probably plan part 3 with randoms basically every day for the next few years. Also Soul Calibur VI is awesome. But 99% of the other games I play are single player.

Had my fill of mp games when I was younger. I just don't have any interest in them anymore. I like to kick back and play a game at my own pace and relax. Doesn't help that most mp games are shallow and repetitive as hell.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
For me it is mostly the unstable internet connection that will leave a bad impression on me even if the game is good.

Secondly i think the matchmaking is often not thought out and when i don't spend x hours a week on the game i can't compete. Guilty Gear Strive was a pleasant surprise in that regard.

Altares13th

Hate multiplayer for all those reasons + many more.
I've been playing for most of my life and I had enjoyed MP experiences (Q3 arena..etc) for a time. But it gets old very fast. Now the only time I activate MP is when I find a boss too difficult to kill in BB. But other than that, screw it, gimme my SP.

Vangellis

I personally like the solitude of single player experiences. The only game that does multiplayer in a way I enjoy is souls games. Optional experiences allowing me to get or provide help, or to see a glimmer of someone else briefly is ideal.

Aesius

I like the sense of satisfaction of beating single-player games. Especially when it's a game that is viewed as somewhat "important" in the grand scheme of gaming. It's just fun to experience as many games as possible that have made an impact on the industry or that are highly regarded. With multiplayer, you are severely limiting your experiences in gaming. Although to be fair, not playing any multiplayer means that I'm also missing a massive component of the industry.

Roxkis_ii

I'm a single player gamer mostly but I don't mind multi-player games as long as it isn't competitive. As a dad gamer, I know I don't have as much time as younger players to get good, and I don't feel like adding to the stereotype.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I would say it's because most multiplayer games kind of make it obligatory for you to play them in a regularly basis in order to follow up with the content they throw at you.

Look, I get it, it's how those games work, but more and more I'm feeling like I need to play whenever I want and what I want, and not play X game constantly just because I need to collect in-game currency to buy an item or character.

I want my games to be fun, not to feel like a fucking work task.

I'm looking at you, Genshin.

So What No GIF

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I would have said I had a preference toward single player games, but as of now I don't know. Halo Infinite has really sucked me in. And before that it was Rocket League. I think a great game with fun mechanics is where my preference lies, whether it's single player or multiplayer.

Back in the PS3 days I definitely had a preference for single player because Sony was doing what no other dev was doing with narrative. But then I got bored of it and haven't even bothered to play any of those games post TLOU.

Ulysses 31

Less external factors influencing whether I fail or succeed.

I did like playing Deathmatch in QuakeWorld and Counter-Strike 1.6/Source back in the day when you played for fun and much less so for filling xp bars and cosmetics.

bender

What time is it?
Competitive multiplayer games just seem like too much of a commitment these days with level up systems and/or collectables. Monetization is why I finally dropped Rocket League. I still play Overwatch to collect all the event items but that doesn't require money and truth be told, I can't wait until the game is no longer supported so I can quit with my OCD in tact. I loved playing online games as a young adult (Q3A, Tribes, DOD, Battlefield 1942) but the genre just doesn't do much interesting these days to keep me playing.

I still love co-op gaming as it is the best of both worlds from a single/multi standpoint.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I prefer the lore in SP games.
I need a story to follow.
SP games have better graphics.
I like to "get lost" in these worlds. Better fit for SP.
No kids kicking my ass.

I do enjoy the Modern Warfare CODs though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm just not interested in multiplayer games. They're fun for a few sessions but I lose interest quickly. Most strangers I've talked to in coop modes seem fine but I could never be relied on to plan out game sessions for raids, etc. Just too busy with other things in life.

I also have a hard time focusing on playing a game while communicating too. If I'm focused on the game, I talk less. If I talk more, my gameplay skills vanish, lol.

As an example, I have the Zenith VR MMO on PS4 and it's pretty fun but I don't really plan on sticking with it cause I can't really progress because I play it solo. I'm just not interested in trying to get a squad together to help me with a raid, and what happens when I beat that quest? It'll just be a more difficult quest that unlocks. It's a bad gameplay loop for people who like single player. I want to explore the world of Zenith but I'm effectively stuck to the first area cause my level isn't high enough and I'm not interested in joining a guild.

Last edited:

GrayDock

SP most of the time, mostly for the story and they, usually, have the best visuals.
But I also love some couch co-op, unfortunately playing them over the internet isn't the same thing for me...

Vick

Used to love Multiplayer when i was younger, now i'm 100% Single Player.

I need total control on every single aspect of my game time.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Being better than anyone else online just gives me nothing, literally. I used to get really excited when fragging other dudes in CSS but now… nothing. It‘s a waste of time. Tried to play a couple of matches with my mates at work and it was no pleasure whatsoever. When I fragged someone, nothing. When I got fragged, nothing.

I do dig teamplay though so I guess MMO would be right up my alley. But for that I do not have the time.

Last edited:

Braag

I compete enough in sports, gaming is more of a chill hobby for me. I enjoy a game at my own pace rather than them dictating when I need to log in and play. That's why SP games with minimal online aspects are my jam.

Plantoid

I love multiplayer games like dark souls where you don't "depend" on someone to win

I hate everything that has a team involved, people suck, i can't take the horrible players that infest every game

Chastten

Banned
To me, multiplayer games are generally just a way to waste some spare time. I don't even mean that in a bad way or anything, I just play a few rounds of Mario Kart, Splatoon, Overwatch or League of Legends whenever I have some free time and don't want to get invested in something. They're the same as mobile and gacha games in that regard, I don't consider them bad, I just play them in a different way than I do single player games. I don't care about winning or losing either. It's just an enjoyable way to spend some time for me but I couldn't really tell you what I have done, if you asked me 30 minutes later.

I play singleplayer games when I really want to play something. I get invested in the story, gameplay and mechanics, and play just that one game for days or weeks, or however long it takes to complete the story and whatever sidecontent I feel like doing.

Normally, the downside to this is that I sometimes only play 3-5 games a year, Obviously Covid times were great as I got a lot more free time and I got to play as much as 25-30 long ass singleplayer games a year, though that has dialed back now.

Mithos

Because I want to play the way I want to play, that will not work in multiplayer games.

Edit:
Also I don't want someone else ruining my game-play/time.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
because I don’t like interacting with people who break my immersion in the world/story. Games are like books/shows to me, I like to be immersed In them and enjoy them either by myself or with my wife, but not with a bunch of people.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

MMORPGs have historically been (and still are) significantly below single player RPGs when it comes to graphics.

It's just one game genre but if you want top tier graphics in an RPG then it's single player.

Top Bottom