• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is iPhone iOS navigation still shite?

peish

android gesture navigation still better, what is wrong with Tim apples UX designers? We are all over the place with a simple back function…some apps have their own keypad, numpads while apples don’t

They spend so much on their snazzy events, all that crazy panning and aerial shots

Oh and their official Calculator app is shit shite still

peish

Funny I changed to iPhone because Android navigation was total shit that I couldn't get used to after years and then I tried an iPhone and it was instantly intuitive.

That’s just impossibiru, android swipe backwards on either sides of your screen is back

Apples you have either swipe back only on 1 side or swipe down on photo app, swipe up in WhatsApp or have a back button placed right at the top of your screen

Inconsistent poor design like their dead insect Magic Mouse

Rockondevil

As an iOS user who occasionally uses Android for work you are so wrong.
I'm sure your big developed wrinkly brain can work out that you pull down on a photo to leave it because swiping left/right changes to the previous/next photo.

Every time I use a different Android phone they all are different in their functionally, or it 100% feels that way. At least iOS is standardised amongst their devices.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I will always prefer a back button to choosing between swiping or a top left button.

Can you still have a back button on Android? I've been on iOS for a good few years now so I don't really know what the experience is like.

I am thinking of going back to Android for my next phone, as I miss some of the freedom of Android, and in small or large ways that leads to to a vastly difference customised product. Things I miss off the top of my head:
Notifications, obviously (and everything made possible there)
Not being forced into poor automatic sorting
Different launchers
Different keyboards that aren't just iOS keyboard shells
Different browsers that are actually different (give me proper Firefox w/ extensions)
Alt app stores
Overlays
Tasker

What I have enjoyed about iOS is the reliability that comes with solid integrated apps and the lack of forced inclusions like Facebook (yes I know about CL removal, that's not the point). iOS's Photos app does great things for me and I would be sad to lose that is nothing else.

HoodWinked

I'm pretty happy with my setup I'm using the navigation bar but also can swipe back.

Getting rid of the navigation bar seems like a design mistake but to go back on it now would be to admit they were wrong. Phones are now taller due to technological advancements which have minimized bezels; making vertical screen real estate plentiful; which makes navbar inclusion even less obstructive.

Pakoe

That’s just impossibiru, android swipe backwards on either sides of your screen is back

Apples you have either swipe back only on 1 side or swipe down on photo app, swipe up in WhatsApp or have a back button placed right at the top of your screen

Inconsistent poor design like their dead insect Magic Mouse
Wat. You swipe down in the photos app because swiping either left or right shows the next/previous photo. Whatsapp works the same way.
In both app you also have a back button on the top left.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I will always prefer a back button to choosing between swiping or a top left button.

Can you still have a back button on Android? I've been on iOS for a good few years now so I don't really know what the experience is like.

Yes, you can still have a back button on Android. Source: Me turning off gesture navigation day one on my new phone.

My question is can you put a back button on iPhone?

Mistake

I don't think it's terrible, but it is getting worse. Such as quick access toggles not fully turning things off, or being able to turn wifi off in each app setting (it was there but they removed it.) So now I need to use airplane mode to not get ad spam playing solitaire.

Here is a whole bunch of crap to turn off if anyone is interested. Some of these things are buried

kikkis

It's one of the glaring design oversights that kind of flies against Apples branding of designing everything with meticulous precision.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This is interesting to me, I left android a few years back as I had the opposite experience. iOS was simply better to use.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wat. You swipe down in the photos app because swiping either left or right shows the next/previous photo. Whatsapp works the same way.
In both app you also have a back button on the top left.

You swipe from the edge of the screen to go back. Swiping between images is done within the screen.

Or you can enable the navigation bar at the bottom top go back.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I find iOS to be much more consistent than Android across the board. I don't prefer one or the other, but iOS is easier as a daily driver.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yes, you can still have a back button on Android. Source: Me turning off gesture navigation day one on my new phone.

My question is can you put a back button on iPhone?
If only.

I think the more pressing matter to fix is the AWFUL keyboard.
It really is frustrating. You click somewhere in a text box and it decides for itself what it wants to do. The straightforward typing experience got slightly better in the most recent iOS version, but it's still worse than it used to be.

In general it feels like phone keyboards went backwards. I was having very few problems 10 years ago, keyboards were learning your typing style and all was well. Now it's like I'm fighting the keyboard to get what I want. Even typing this post has give me grief.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You can fly drones with your phone today, apple phones have a strong os echo system, you can send a signal if your phone is lost or stolen, things are structured like tools on an iMac.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Funny I changed to iPhone because Android navigation was total shit that I couldn't get used to after years and then I tried an iPhone and it was instantly intuitive.
I'm convinced that one OS is for normal people, the other for folks who've suffered a major stroke.

Now if I could just figure out which is which.....

Pagusas

Elden Member
I love it and hope they don't change it. Perhaps iphones just arent for you OP, stick with what you like.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't think adults even consider Android phones. It's what struggling families buy for their kids.

This is why people don't like iPhone owners. Got a superiority complex like their phones never have issues. And even when they do, excuses for those issues or acting like the issues aren't issues at all... "Steve Jobs planned it that way"

RCU005

iPhone hasn't updated the phone app since the iPhone launched it seems. Even before Blackberry, phones had functions like search recent calls/contacts while dialing. The phone app is the bare minimum in the iPhone and is sucks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't think adults even consider Android phones. It's what struggling families buy for their kids.
It's the vibe and whatever mainstream would have you think.

Android has been superior for a while though. Both are functional. Apple closed system sucks.

But the most annoying thing really is this vibe that you have to have an iPhone because reasons and my friends janitor has one and so does her rectal examiner.

TheMan

I’ve seen very intellectually disabled kids easily navigate iOS to their app of choice, no problem. If Apple’s iOS can work for them it should be fine for anyone

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Maybe because I’ve been using Apple products for so long but I have no major issues with it.
There's no real problem with either people like what they are accustomed to. Its funny when iPhone users trot out the tired old "It just works" line as if android doesn't also just work.

Last edited:

YCoCg

If you work a serious job with an iPhone you’re going to look like an ass when someone needs to FaceTime. We use it almost daily for troubleshooting with our remote techs.
You're still confirming you're an American teen here, you know elsewhere in the world we can use WhatsApp or Teams, which are also platform agnostic so no one really gives a shit if your phone is Apple or not.

Kamina

Golden Boy
OPs hands

Hand Posts GIF

simpatico

You're still confirming you're an American teen here, you know elsewhere in the world we can use WhatsApp or Teams, which are also platform agnostic so no one really gives a shit if your phone is Apple or not.
Nobody wants to download some scammer chat app for basic functionality. We have one tech who uses and Android and everyone has to send him some link to video chat. I take it into account when review time rolls around.

The point is, just get a regular phone.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Confirm iOS interface is shite

WTF Tim Apple

That's a very good video and I agree with many of the points. Especially the one about how to navigate with backswipes and backbuttons. It's an incoherent mess compared to Android. I also enjoy being able to schedule a text and it has been useful in my work.

I do use an iPad Pro, but that's because I think Apple makes the best tablets and tablet OS. When it comes to phones Android is superior to me.

If you work a serious job with an iPhone you’re going to look like an ass when someone needs to FaceTime. We use it almost daily for troubleshooting with our remote techs.

Wow, that's the most retarded thing I've heard this year.

Edit:
Nobody wants to download some scammer chat app for basic functionality. We have one tech who uses and Android and everyone has to send him some link to video chat. I take it into account when review time rolls around.

Wow, that even topped your previous comment. Hats off to you for such an achievement in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Most major companies use an Enterprise app like Teams or Slack (Amazon likes chime but even they are moving over to Slack). Probably locked down to a work partition on your phone as well. Casual team chats at AWS and the largest IT companies in Europe use WhatsApp.

Top Bottom