• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is iPhone iOS navigation still shite?

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you work a serious job with an iPhone you’re going to look like an ass when someone needs to FaceTime. We use it almost daily for troubleshooting with our remote techs.
Troll or not, the idea of a company that isn't Apple telling you they only use Facetime in business with a straight face is hilarious.
Nobody wants to download some scammer chat app for basic functionality. We have one tech who uses and Android and everyone has to send him some link to video chat. I take it into account when review time rolls around.

The point is, just get a regular phone.
Even funnier is the idea of some hipster-led company taking into account mobile phone platform choice when it comes to work performance reviews, as if people should be punished for not using the company's preferred technology out of their own pocket.
a serious job
Thank you simp, I got a good laugh out of this

raduque

Wat. You swipe down in the photos app because swiping either left or right shows the next/previous photo. Whatsapp works the same way.
In both app you also have a back button on the top left.
Strange, my cheap Motorola Android phone can swipe left/right on pics in Photos and still use the edges of the screen to go back. Maybe Apple can invent that next?

ReBurn

Gold Member
iPhone hasn't updated the phone app since the iPhone launched it seems. Even before Blackberry, phones had functions like search recent calls/contacts while dialing. The phone app is the bare minimum in the iPhone and is sucks.
If you would have said iOS hasn't been updated since version 7 you'd be closer to right, but saying it hasn't changed since launch just isn't right.

At launch all of the apps were designed heuristically to mimic their real world counterparts in both form and function. The notepad app looked like a notebook with lines, etc. And apps didn't share the same design language. Each one had its own look, feel and flow based on how you would use a comparable object in the real world. It wasn't until iOS 7 and Jony Ive getting involved with the UI that iOS standardized. It was a major overhaul that pissed off a lot of people and also introduced the consistent design of Apple's OS line that we have today.

peish

Most major companies use an Enterprise app like Teams or Slack (Amazon likes chime but even they are moving over to Slack). Probably locked down to a work partition on your phone as well. Casual team chats at AWS and the largest IT companies in Europe use WhatsApp.

Even Android enterprise work partition is way better than Tim Apple.

It looks cleaner with a separated panel/grouping.

Apple, why do they get so much rep?

Pakoe

Strange, my cheap Motorola Android phone can swipe left/right on pics in Photos and still use the edges of the screen to go back. Maybe Apple can invent that next?
But you go back by swiping down? How is swiping the corner any better?

Pakoe

It's same action in every app.
Those are the same actions in every app I use. iMessage, Photos app or Whatsapp. You swipe down to go back to the gallery and left/right to go back/forward.

Last edited:

raduque

But you go back by swiping down? How is swiping the corner any better?
Not the corner. The side edge. Any side edge. In any app. Will always go "back". It's far superior to app-specific gestures.

Oh, and swiping left right moves forward and back through media as well.

I don't understand how this is such a difficult concept to get.

Last edited:
Top Bottom