• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will God of War Ragnarok be the last PlayStation cross gen exclusive?

Will God of War Ragnarok be the last big cross gen exclusive?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
God of War 2018 releases on April 20th. The follow up starts development soon after.

God of War Ragnarok (probably) releases in the 2nd half of 2022.

Will that be the last cross gen game released by PlayStation Studios (MLB The Show not withstanding)?

Yoboman

I think so

Maybe TLOU Factions but it should end there

Ragnarok, GT7 and Horizon would have needed to be in development well before PS5 dev kits were ready so it makes some sense that they would become cross gen

Anything announced from here on out there is no reason PS4 should be in the picture. So the next Naughty Dog SP, Sucker Punch, Bend, Team Asobi games etc should be PS5 exclusives

THEAP99

Banned
Spider-Man 2’s PS5 only.

TLOU remake’s only PS5 & probably PC because it was already remastered for PS4, so cross-gen doesn’t make any sense for a PS5 remake of the game.
but i thought they said it was going to be on TLOU2's engine which would make it easily ported to ps4 for all that HBO money

skit_data

Spider-Man 2 will be cross gen.

I believe this too and this one MUST be the last one. Can't support shitty PS4 forever.
It’s said to be a PS5 exclusive on their blog:

SZgN0zo.jpg

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
More To Come Jeff Bezos GIF by GIPHY News

Hard to say since the communication is all over the place but it seems quite frankly that there will be more cross generational games.

reksveks

Nope, doubt it. Mind me, people have already posted the blog.

I think something like Factions will be but whom know when that comes out. I also don't know about any of the multiplayer games.

Last edited:

pratyush

To be honest HFW and GOW started development in 2018 and PS4 was still going strong at that time. So not developing for PS4 would not make sense. It's how Sony handled it that made it irritating.

Any game going into development in 2020 probably won't be cross gen

3liteDragon

but i thought they said it was going to be on TLOU2's engine which would make it easily ported to ps4 for all that HBO money
I HIGHLY doubt they’re gonna take the PS4 version of TLOU1 and add TLOU2 mechanics to it & call it a day.

But then again, TLOU2 on PS4 looks significantly better than TLOU1 remastered on PS4. So cross-gen could still happen where we get PS4 TLOU2 graphics with the first one on PS4 & then a PS5 version with more graphical improvements. But then at that point, I don’t know how much of a difference you’re gonna see between both versions.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think the last of us remake will be cross-gen along with the multiplayer.

Factions II is going to be a massive GAAS title. The kind of 10 year lifespan game. I don't think Naughty Dog wants to shackle it to a severely diminished PS4 userbase at its launch.

Kerotan

Apart from smaller titles like mlb or whatever can't see many other Sony developed games coming to ps4 after next year.

I think so

Maybe TLOU Factions but it should end there

Ragnarok, GT7 and Horizon would have needed to be in development well before PS5 dev kits were ready so it makes some sense that they would become cross gen

Anything announced from here on out there is no reason PS4 should be in the picture. So the next Naughty Dog SP, Sucker Punch, Bend, Team Asobi games etc should be PS5 exclusives
I think that’s a fair viewpoint.

reksveks

Factions II is going to be a massive GAAS title. The kind of 10 year lifespan game. I don't think Naughty Dog wants to shackle it to a severely diminished PS4 userbase at its launch.
That's why you stick it on PC 😝

Damn someone beat me to it.

I don't know if it has a 10 year life span, i don't know if you could constantly feed it 10 years of content.

THEAP99

Banned
Oh I hope not. But the thing is that a multiplayer title like that needs a big playerbase

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Oh I hope not. But the thing is that a multiplayer title like that needs a big playerbase

The PS5 user base will be plenty big by the time Factions II releases. Sony just surpassed 11 million globally? If lobby sizes are 100 - 200 large, then we've already surpassed that point.

Note: PS5 exclusive multiplayer Destruction All Stars was originally supposed to release day and date with the PS5. For some reason Sony didn't view the PS4 user base as necessary back in November 2020.

Last edited:
Sony should have made the games PS4 exclusive. It’s what this bitching wants. Games like Ratchet, Demons Souls, Returnal are PS5 exclusive is because their development was prolly extremely recent. Exception is GT7 that one was prolly PC spec’d then shifted to PS5 development, then was downported to PS4.

God of War II (PS2) was amazing. It blew me away than most of the next games released that year. Sony should have made GOW Ragnarok PS4 exclusive. Only reason it isnt is because its wasy easier to port a PS4 game into PS5 than it was to port in or out of a PS3.

God of War 2018 releases on April 20th. The follow up starts development soon after.

God of War Ragnarok (probably) releases in the 2nd half of 2022.

Will that be the last cross gen game released by PlayStation Studios (MLB The Show not withstanding)?
Yes, at least in the blockbusters list. Horizon FW February, GT7 March, GOW Ragnarok could be in later 2022.

2022 could have some next-gen only like Forspoken (spring), but maybe not first-party exclusives.

2023 should start next-gen era with first (Bend, ND,etc.) and second parties (Jade Raymond Project, Firewalk, etc..)

We’re so thrilled to continue the journey of both Peter Parker and Miles Morales in their most epic single-player adventure yet, coming exclusively to PlayStation 5 consoles in 2023.

Stop with the bullshit. It's more probable Starfield will be cross-gen though.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned

We’re so thrilled to continue the journey of both Peter Parker and Miles Morales in their most epic single-player adventure yet, coming exclusively to PlayStation 5 consoles in 2023.

Yeah. I have suspicion microsoft are waiting awfully long to announce that. Let's hope we get gameplay footage soon

Yeah. I have suspicion microsoft are waiting awfully long to announce that. Let's hope we get gameplay footage soon
Before MS bought Bethesda I believe they said it was a next gen experience, hopefully for xbox players they didn't mean a cross-gen experience. They can always do what they are doing with google maps the game...oops I mean flight sim and just have you stream it through your old gen console as an option.

Starfield is 100% not cross gen. Its a new IP that requires new hardware, come on now dude. Plus, Microsoft has been a lot more open with whats cross gen and what's not.

kyliethicc

Gran Turismo 7 was also a "PS5 Exclusive" once upon a time. Can't take Sony at their word.
Fair, but I assume by now they'd just say "PlayStation consoles" instead of "PlayStation 5 consoles" if they were considering cross gen.

They already have Spider-man and Spider-man Miles Morales on PS4 and PS5.

At this point they probably just want to use Spider-man 2 as a next gen exclusive PS5 system seller.

Welp. Evidently it was a mistake. Bad editing, LMAO. In no trailer or news it was announced or confirmed as PS5 exclusive game.
An official trailer released by Sony during a PlayStation gaming event that was put together to show off the future games coming to PS5. No mistake was made, Sony simply lied and here you are a year later still making excuses for them.

Starfield is 100% not cross gen. Its a new IP that requires new hardware, come on now dude. Plus, Microsoft has been a lot more open with whats cross gen and what's not.
c'mon dude nothing. until it's is confirmed, 100% my butt. That's a game going straight to game pass. MS don't care if you play it on X or One, they only want people to subscribe. You think they will alienate whatever million users will still be playing on Xbone by the time it's out? Nah. Cross gen most likely. Plus, this is Bugthesda we're talking about, they won't set the bar higher than they can reach, at that's very low by their standards.

An official trailer released by Sony during a PlayStation gaming event that was put together to show off the future games coming to PS5. No mistake was made, Sony simply lied and here you are a year later still making excuses for them.
It was a watermark, boo-hoo. It was and still is a "future game coming to PS5" just as you said. So yeah.

Top Bottom