• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will God of War Ragnarok be the last PlayStation cross gen exclusive?

Will God of War Ragnarok be the last big cross gen exclusive?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nope, the watermark clearly states "PlayStation 5 Exclusive". Unless 4 and 5 have the same meaning in your neck of the woods, Sony misrepresented the facts. No need to be so defensive, just accept that you were wrong.
Yeah, whatever. Spider-Man 2 clearly says PS5 consoles in text on the blog, and it's a 2023 game. No cross gen. Why do you even care, I wonder....

Fair, but I assume by now they'd just say "PlayStation consoles" instead of "PlayStation 5 consoles" if they were considering cross gen.

They already have Spider-man and Spider-man Miles Morales on PS4 and PS5.

At this point they probably just want to use Spider-man 2 as a next gen exclusive PS5 system seller.
The ambiguity plays in their favor. People who don't yet own a PS5 will buy one fearing that the game wont be available on PS4.

kyliethicc

Welp. Evidently it was a mistake. Bad editing, LMAO. In no trailer or news it was announced or confirmed as PS5 exclusive game.
Its entire website page still says its PS5 only. Every trailer they used in 2020 declared it as a PS5 exclusive.

eXrH1Rx.jpg

grnFu8T.jpg

1nXCXA2.jpg

TS1BwNu.jpg

FdWLy2W.png

The ambiguity plays in their favor. People who don't yet own a PS5 will buy one fearing that the game wont be available on PS4.
Except its not ambiguous. They have said clearly its PS5 only.

They could change their mind, but that applies to every game. Spidey, Starfield, etc.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Cross gen or not doesn’t make a slightest difference for me, I only care about the quality of actual game itself.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not a chance.

They’ll keep doing them all the time they can profit, and Ps5 console sales are restricted (well into 2023).

Dorohedoro

Every report on this rumored remake is its PS5 only.

Designed to be bundled with a PS5 version of Part II for a TLOU collection on PS5.

Uvv5ATv.gif
They should wait for part 3 to be out for a while before slapping together a "collection" imo.
I HIGHLY doubt they’re gonna take the PS4 version of TLOU1 and add TLOU2 mechanics to it & call it a day.

But then again, TLOU2 on PS4 looks significantly better than TLOU1 remastered on PS4. So cross-gen could still happen where we get PS4 TLOU2 graphics with the first one on PS4 & then a PS5 version with more graphical improvements. But then at that point, I don’t know how much of a difference you’re gonna see between both versions.
Graphics too ofc.

I think they could easily do it that way, it'd still sell plenty of copies. TLoU2 has far superior gameplay and graphics so I'm sure most of the fans would be satisfied with a TLoU1-themed TLoU2. They'd probably do just enough for the remake to not be considered a lazy cashgrab. Now they could also go the extra mile and kick the PS4 to the curb to take advantage of the more powerful hardware for an even prettier game but it could take a minute for it to come out and they might wanna get it out the door asap for all we know, maybe to launch around the same time as the HBO series. The question is just how much effort are they really willing to put into it which will decide if it's cross gen or not. I guess it also depends on the release date, if it's in 2023 (the 10th anniversary) then I'll be very surprised if they're churning out PS4 versions by that point in time.

c'mon dude nothing. until it's is confirmed, 100% my butt. That's a game going straight to game pass. MS don't care if you play it on X or One, they only want people to subscribe. You think they will alienate whatever million users will still be playing on Xbone by the time it's out? Nah. Cross gen most likely. Plus, this is Bugthesda we're talking about, they won't set the bar higher than they can reach, at that's very low by their standards.
Ehhhh we can agree to disagree my guy.

Its entire website page still says its PS5 only. Every trailer they used in 2020 declared it as a PS5 exclusive.

eXrH1Rx.jpg

1nXCXA2.jpg

TS1BwNu.jpg

FdWLy2W.png

Except its not ambiguous. They have said clearly its PS5 only.

They could change their mind, but that applies to every game. Spidey, Starfield, etc.
Microsoft has always been clear about their cross-gen plans, in fact they were ridiculed last year because they admitted that for the next two years, most of their games would be cross-gen. Sony on the other hand stated the infamous "We believe in generations" line to the press and released deceptive marketing material like the GT7 trailers. There's already precedent for why I don't trust any wording on their trailers or press releases.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Spider-Man 2’s PS5 only.

TLOU remake’s only PS5 & probably PC because it was already remastered for PS4, so cross-gen doesn’t make any sense for a PS5 remake of the game.
Thick and solid, just like the back hair.

Like everything else on Netflix they are mostly crap, with a couple of standout ones which are decent.
Netlfix has this weird ability to take well known names in both acting and directing and somehow getting them to release direct to DVD trash

I finished the game on the PS5 and am playing through it now on the XSX. Both in RT mode and the XSX version is MUCH more stable than the PS5. The PS5 version had some serious frame drops in the reservoir area while the XSX version doesn't.

Legit question. Why are you buying 2 copies of every game to play both of them on different systems? Considering the majority of your posts in gaming is warring for Xbox; why are you buying games on ps5, only to replay the same game on Xbox?

Some kind of weird gloat fetish?

Keep the game alive longer.
Live Service Updates

One female employee committed suicide on a work trip after her nudes were passed around the office.

Pretty fucked up stuff. Note that this is no vague accusation. This was a 2 year investigation done by the State of California.

They have already said its PS5 only.

It’s said to be a PS5 exclusive on their blog:

SZgN0zo.jpg

Nope, doubt it. Mind me, people have already posted the blog.

I think something like Factions will be but whom know when that comes out. I also don't know about any of the multiplayer games.

they said the same thing about other games and we have seen the meltdown when it turned out they were crossgen. I believe Insomniac more than Jim Ryan, so when insomniac says it I think they are telling the truth.

I would like a wholly developed spiderverse on the ps5.

Hunnybun

Factions will be cross gen, but I'm assuming that's a given.

Otherwise, I think GOW will probably be the last one. The Schreier article stated that the TLOU remake was being made specifically for PS5, so I guess that's out.

If this MP shooter from Guerrilla is real, then I could see that being cross gen.

But that's about it imo. Housemarque and Bluepoint had already moved on to next gen only. Insomniac has confirmed the same.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

We’re so thrilled to continue the journey of both Peter Parker and Miles Morales in their most epic single-player adventure yet, coming exclusively to PlayStation 5 consoles in 2023.

Stop with the bullshit. It's more probable Starfield will be cross-gen though.
How is answering an asked question bs. It isn’t fanboying to answer a question but it is fanboying to act like a fool over someone else’s opinion.

kyliethicc

Microsoft has always been clear about their cross-gen plans, in fact they were ridiculed last year because they admitted that for the next two years, most of their games would be cross-gen.

Xbox lied too.

"As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices."

Oops.

TonyK

Spiderman 2 and Wolverine will be cross gen also.

P.d. I'm glad to see I was wrong, at least for Spiderman 2.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Jim Ryan hinted at more cross-gen releases in the statement where they backtracked on the Horizon next-gen upgrade thing.

XXL

Microsoft has always been clear about their cross-gen plans.

Kamala Harris Waiting GIF by Election 2020

Microsoft is not clear about anything.

Last edited:
Microsoft has always been clear about their cross-gen plans, in fact they were ridiculed last year because they admitted that for the next two years, most of their games would be cross-gen. Sony on the other hand stated the infamous "We believe in generations" line to the press and released deceptive marketing material like the GT7 trailers. There's already precedent for why I don't trust any wording on their trailers or press releases.
Jim Ryan said they believe in generations in the same interview where he said the PS4 would still be supported for years so there was no deception there it was the media taking things out of context to make Sony look like they were talking poorly about MS. The fact is there have been 3 games now released by Sony that are PS5 only and others are announced. As far as GT7 it sounds as of it was originally intended to be PS5 only but that changed as time went on.

c'mon dude nothing. until it's is confirmed, 100% my butt. That's a game going straight to game pass. MS don't care if you play it on X or One, they only want people to subscribe. You think they will alienate whatever million users will still be playing on Xbone by the time it's out? Nah. Cross gen most likely. Plus, this is Bugthesda we're talking about, they won't set the bar higher than they can reach, at that's very low by their standards.
You must be confusing xCloud with cross gen. There is a good chance you can play Starfield on an X1 using streaming. It's totally possible for MS to continue to support old hardware and not code to last generation hardware natively. Maybe Sony will do the same thing with PS Now.

Jim Ryan said they believe in generations in the same interview where he said the PS4 would still be supported for years so there was no deception there it was the media taking things out of context to make Sony look like they were talking poorly about MS. The fact is there have been 3 games now released by Sony that are PS5 only and others are announced. As far as GT7 it sounds as of it was originally intended to be PS5 only but that changed as time went on.
Yup. People act like he said, "we believe in completely abandoning our current hardware the day our next console releases".

PS5 has games that are PS5 exclusive. It also has cross-gen games, as well as playing games that ate still being released just as PS4 games via backwards compatibility. The way people talk, you'd think there hasn't been a single next-gen only game released or announced on the console.

Yup. People act like he said, "we believe in completely abandoning our current hardware the day our next console releases".

PS5 has games that are PS5 exclusive. It also has cross-gen games, as well as playing games that ate still being released just as PS4 games via backwards compatibility. The way people talk, you'd think there hasn't been a single next-gen only game released or announced on the console.
Exactly. And many more to come. Deathloop, a timed exclusive from Bethesda no less, it's PS5 only (PC too, but I mean no cross gen). Vampire Blood Hunt is not going to PS4, next year Forspoken is PS5 only, FFXVI is PS5 only and hopefully makes 2022, smaller games like Stray is PS5 only, then just announced for 2023 Spider-Man 2 is PS5 only, same for Wolverine, same for whatever else Cory Barlog is directing, and I'm willing to bet all their PS Studio games 2023 onwards will be PS5 exclusive, whatever ND is working, Bend, Firesprite, and not 1st party but whatever BluePoint is working for them is PS5 only too.

Last edited:

yurinka

Jimbo said that after Horizon 2 they will charge $10 for the PS4 to PS5 upgrade in GT7, GoW and any other crossgen game they will release. So they will release more.

Spider-Man 2, Wolverine and many other ones may be PS5 only, but I'm pretty sure they will have more crossgen games because they started to be developed when they didn't know the PS5 specs and didn't have PS5 devkits:
-TLOU2 Factions (it originally was going to be the MP side of a PS4 game)
-Guerrilla's other game they have been developing since 2018
-Firewalk game that has been developing since 2018
-Cory's new IP if he started to develop in 2018 after releasng GoW
-Arrowhead's AAA game (if published by Sony) since they developed it since 2015/2016
-London Studio's AAA game: these guys released this generation a game every couple of years or so, their last one was in 2019
-At least one of the two AAA Firesprite upcoming games, their last game was released in 2018 and got ported to non VR systems a couple of year later. With 250 people they could working on one of these two AAA games before they released The Persistence.

I think all of them will be released between late 2022 and 2024 because recent Sony's AAA games took on average 4-6 years of development.

Last edited:

Fbh

they said the same thing about other games and we have seen the meltdown when it turned out they were crossgen. I believe Insomniac more than Jim Ryan, so when insomniac says it I think they are telling the truth.

Maybe it's because I'm half drunk. But I have no idea what my quoted message is about in the context of this thread :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

3liteDragon

To be fair, it did say “PlayStation Exclusive” at the end of the announcement trailers for Forbidden West & Mile Morales which should’ve been the tip off but no one including myself picked up on it.

Here, they’re explicitly stating both games are coming to PlayStation 5 only, so I believe them.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It wont be the last.

Sony even said in an interview they are going to support PS4 for up to 4 years. And the fact a company is willing to do a 180 so late in the game at any time (they stated GT7 is PS5 exclusive in a Dec 2020 video), it seems development between PS4 and PS5 is so easy they can always add a PS4 version to max out sales when they feel like it.

Jim Ryan even said $10 upgrades will apply to GOW, GT7 "and other games".

Last edited:
Looking at Insomniac they said that Ratchet was a PS5 exclusive and so far it hasn't come to the PS4. I'm guessing what they said about Spiderman 2 is true but there's always a possibility that Sony makes them develop a PS4 version later on.

So far I'm going to take Insomniacs word but I know things might change in the future. It's just that currently there's no plans on a PS4 version otherwise they would have been upfront with that.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
It doesn’t matter what Sony says now, they have flipped to favor cross gen. It’s hard to believe Sony, since they lied previously.

Atleast xbox was honest from the start, and they unfairly got a lot of bad press.

[Sigma]

I really don't know but I voted no anyway because we are on indefinite cross gen mode with Jim and Hermen in control until they've sapped every last bit they can out of it.

Probably, we can't really say for sure but I remember when it was confirmed GoW was going to be cross gen some people were afraid R&C might ended up being a surprise cross gen title too but Insomniac quickly tweeted this:

And they tweeted the same thing for Wolverine and Spiderman 2 so I guess we can at least trust Insomniac in regards of those 2 games

They would probably just avoid saying "PS5 exclusive" if it was cross gen.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably, we can't really say for sure but I remember when it was confirmed GoW was going to be cross gen some people were afraid R&C might ended up being a surprise cross gen title too but Insomniac quickly tweeted this:

And they tweeted the same thing for Wolverine and Spiderman 2 so I guess we can at least trust Insomniac in regards of those 2 games

They would probably just avoid saying "PS5 exclusive" if it was cross gen.

Sony also said Spiderman Remastered is only available in the MM deluxe bundle.

Then a month after launch they announced a standalone Spiderman Remastered for $40.

One month later. In other words, Insomniac was working on a standalone version the whole time, but BS'ed an answer to sell more bundle copies or MM.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

Kamala Harris Waiting GIF by Election 2020

Microsoft is not clear about anything.
Can you please tell us exactly how Microsoft’s distinctions between “First on Xbox” and “Xbox Exclusive” are not clear?

Phil spencer can not like buying exclusivity while also still knowing that it’s a necessary evil and doing it.

Yoboman

Can you please tell us exactly how Microsoft’s distinctions between “First on Xbox” and “Xbox Exclusive” are not clear?

Phil spencer can not like buying exclusivity while also still knowing that it’s a necessary evil and doing it.
By that logic, Jim Ryan knows that cross platform on the biggest games is a necessary evil and is doing it

Top Bottom