• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will I enjoy Hogwarts Legacy even if I found the Harry Potter movies terminally boring?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I never read the books as a kid, nor did I watch any of the movies. I was too in deep with sci-fi literature, movies, and video games. I basically scoffed at anything fantasy as something that only some lame ass nerds obsessed over (I know, I wasn't very open-minded back then).

I only got around to watching the whole series of films like last year, and while the first two movies were pretty delightful, lighthearted and fun, the rest of them weren't terribly interesting and each one got progressively more meandering and depressing. So other than the first two, I think I only liked Prisoner of Azkaban.

So, overall, I don't give a shit. But everyone is raving about this thing so much that I can't help but to be at least curious. Is the plot in this game close in tone and pacing to the movies? If not then what other video games it can be compared to?

peronmls

if you don’t like Harry Potter or the things in it you will not like it. I don’t know why people ask these questions about things they already don’t like and expecting a different out come because it’s a video game. It has everything you probably don’t like about the movies in it.

Neff

Maybe. It's a highly competent open world/action/adventure game which smartly picks and chooses elements from a whole bunch of similar titles, but make no mistake, the Wizarding World setting is the big sell. And in that regard the game channels that upbeat vibe found in the first two movies more than any other. It leaves the oppressiveness and teen melodrama of later movies at the door. If you're interested I say go for it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No, don't get yourself sucked too much to that counter-culture stuff. I just find all the videos from the game terminally boring.

Certinty

I’m enjoying it and I despised the movies.

There’s references here and there I get but the bottom line in my eyes is that the game is actually good.

Solid gameplay, great open world including how lively Hogwarts is, a good amount of content, looks visually nice and so far the story is interesting too.

I would say give it a go. I couldn’t give less of a shit about Harry Potter but this is at very worst a solid all round RPG.

ZoukGalaxy

Definitely not. Skip it.

Cat Remember GIF

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am the same. I am sure I would find the game very boring since I don’t know anything about the universe. Witcher 3 was bearable because of the brutal stories, despite the cookie cutter gameplay.

Doesn’t stop me from fully enjoying the HL circus though!

Lol no.

This game is a love letter to the harry potter's lore, you will not appreciate that.

and has some similar characteristics that make it feel very "Harry Potter" like (movie wise).

Drizzlehell

Banned
if you don’t like Harry Potter or the things in it you will not like it. I don’t know why people ask these questions about things they already don’t like and expecting a different out come because it’s a video game. It has everything you probably don’t like about the movies in it.
Why would you assume it's not possible at all? I used to hate fantasy but then I read The Witcher books and got completely hooked on the entire genre.

Video games is a medium that I enjoy the most so it's not that wild to assume that a franchise that I didn't find particularly interesting before would suddenly pique my interest through that very medium. If it's a good game with a good story then who the fuck cares what franchise it is?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's set a long time before so the core plot's got nothing to do with the books/movies, and it's definitely not as miserable as the movies get. You're right, they get progressively gloomier and the game tone for the most part is nothing like that. I read the books when I was young and always found the movies didn't quite capture the charm after the third.

If you like the environment that the films were set in you might enjoy the game, it's way more about soaking in that atmosphere and being a part of Hogwarts. Aside from that it's every other third person action adventure map-of-objectives RPG-lite collectathon open world you've played in the last decade. It feels like small parts of 15 games in one, wearing a Harry Potter uniform. Make of that what you will. I've been having a blast but I was in the mood for one of those and I've got a small fondness for the franchise.

tmlDan

I disliked the books and the movies, but was always fascinated with the world cause it's definitely super creative.

I am so into this game its crazy, it actually makes me wonder why games can't capture the imagination that a lot of books have in a fantasy setting, its a lot of copy and paste (dragons, knights, wizards with the same spells or copying D&D). I get that this has dragons, wizards etc. too, but a wizarding world apart from humans, it's just unique in its own right.

Kirkio

I've only seen the first film, wasn't a fan and never bothered with the sequels. Bought this because it's open world and the gameplay looked good, really enjoying it and I am about 10 hours in.

Its actually made me want to watch the rest of the films weirdly.

I mean, it's a love letter to Potter fans, right?

That doesn't mean it can't stand on its own as an experience, but I'd imagine you'll be missing 90% of the narrative if you don't appreciate the wider universe.

Spokker

Once you do a bunch of mainline quests and get your spells, the gameplay is surprisingly engaging. You can do things the boring way and just spam basic spells, but even random enemies out in the boonies have cool ways to tackle them. One early enemy attacks you with its tongue. You can cast the levitation spell and hold up the fucker by his tongue, then blast him.

My only complaint is that it does seem on the easy side even on hard. I may have done too many sidequests and feel overpowered. Some of the recent battles have had a lot of items you can throw laying around, which are powerful. Then I unlocked the talent that lets you cast disarm and then throw the disarmed weapon at the enemy. It makes short work of enemies with weapons. You can stash way too many healing potions and the ancient magic is usually a one-hit kill. To make the game harder, I'm going to refrain from using these so much. There are challenges that pop up that challenge you to win battles without using healing potions.

Hopefully later camps and battles have more enemies to face.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am not a fan at all but I liked the movies.
But the game is so cool and addicting. Imo is this Year’s Elden ring.
Like a mix of fable and souls a bit

NahaNago

I'd say, yes. It is just an open world fantasy game. I think the only big difference is the school setting which is usually more of a Japanese thing. I'm slowly getting used to the combat system. I'm more of the overwhelm the opponent with attacks type player so the dodging and parrying took some getting used to which is probably why I suck at souls games.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Alright, so overall I'm getting an impression that I would enjoy the game regardless of whether I liked the source material. I avoided watching any GP videos since I prefer going in as blind as possible into games like that but screenshots look pretty amazing too. The verdict is in - I'm gonna play it. However, not right away. For now I'm too bogged down in work-related stuff and I have enough games that I'm still trying to finish at the moment so maybe by the time I'll get around to Hogwarts it'll be on sale already.

But thanks for the opinions anyway. Have a like on the house.

Fools idol

Banned
The game is absolutely fantastic, I had no idea Harry Potter's world and lore was as rich as this is.

The world is huge to explore and packed with detail.

Spyxos

I think i saw most of the movies. I am not a Hp fan, but i am 4 hours in and i am having fun.

Last edited:

Raven117

I mean....probably not.

Its a good enough fantasy game that is a little like Witcher 3 (but watered down)....If that's not something that interests you...then no. There is nothing Hogwarts does that makes it a particularly unique take on a open world that would warrant a playthrough if you don't like fantasy or Harry Potter stuff.

I never read the books as a kid, nor did I watch any of the movies. I was too in deep with sci-fi literature, movies, and video games. I basically scoffed at anything fantasy as something that only some lame ass nerds obsessed over (I know, I wasn't very open-minded back then).

I only got around to watching the whole series of films like last year, and while the first two movies were pretty delightful, lighthearted and fun, the rest of them weren't terribly interesting and each one got progressively more meandering and depressing. So other than the first two, I think I only liked Prisoner of Azkaban.

So, overall, I don't give a shit. But everyone is raving about this thing so much that I can't help but to be at least curious. Is the plot in this game close in tone and pacing to the movies? If not then what other video games it can be compared to?
This game is heavily inspired by the first two movies. The main characters, villain, school classes and overall atmosphere of the castle feels like an extension of the Chamber of Secrets.

So if you were more into the whimsical and silly side of Harry Potter this is the game for you.

I've only seen the first film, wasn't a fan and never bothered with the sequels. Bought this because it's open world and the gameplay looked good, really enjoying it and I am about 10 hours in.

Its actually made me want to watch the rest of the films weirdly.
At least watch the second one. It's incredible. Actual filmmaking with multiple animatronics and practical effects. After the second film the movies start heavily using more CGI for everything.

belmarduk

I was never a huge fan of the books or movies but, generally speaking, I find games to be the most fun medium because they're interactive. This game takes place 100 years before the Harry Potter books and only has the setting in common. It's a huge open-world, meticulously detailed RPG. Do you enjoy games like that? If you do, you should definitely get this one. It is quite enjoyable.

Flabagast

Wait for the honeymoon period to pass OP. The game is all right but there definitely has been a positive overreaction countering to the stupid brainless boycott, leading people to overlook a huge number of defaults the game has.

It's a pretty standard sony/ubisoft type open world with nice scenery, but not much else imho. Writing of the dialogs is pretty bad and boring if it matters to you.

Kirkio

At least watch the second one. It's incredible. Actual filmmaking with multiple animatronics and practical effects. After the second film the movies start heavily using more CGI for everything.
I'm halfway through rewatching the first one (vpn stopped working), was enjoying it though so I'll find a way to watch the rest

mxbison

Behind the beautiful and detailed world is a pretty standard AAA open world game. Depends if you want that or not.

You can definitely enjoy the world without being a Harry Potter fan though.

Last edited:
Never read the books, and appreciated the plot of the films for what they were. I'm also thoroughly enjoying my time with this game.

Edit - That being said, go for it if you want to wait for a discount. It's extremely competent, especially for a dev team who's never even attempted something close to this scale, but it doesn't do anything groundbreaking.

Last edited:
It really depends on what type of game you like. The game really excels at impressing you and making you happy, if you like Harry Potter. If you are playing it and you've never read any of the books or seen any of the movies, it'll probably seem more like a fairly generic open-world RPG to you. It's a very well-made game, and the combat and collectibles in particular are really solid. But it was made by Harry Potter fans, for Harry Potter fans. Not really sure how else to answer your question. Like, for the same reason that Mario Odyssey is a real step-up from previous Mario games, but no idea how you would feel about it in a vacuum if you've never played Mario 64 or Sunshine. 🤷‍♂️

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Are there any established characters in this game like Dumbledork or Professor Snap?

Yoboman

I dont think you will

Overall vibes are a bit closer to the first two movies (helped by a more peaceful school and the music)

But the characters and dialogue are deadset boring compared to the books and movies. Like they decided every characters personality is polite English person

If you like tun of the mill open world games then it may still take your fancy. It doesn't do anything very interesting with its systems but is solid overall

I dont recommend playing it immediately after RDR2 like I have

On the flip side I am comparing it to a high bar (IMO) of the Harry Potter books so you may enjoy it more if you don't have that comparison to make

Last edited:

Before spending $70 why not just watch the first 30 minutes of a Let's Play and see if you hate it or not..........none of us can answer this for you.

Diddy X

Nice question, I never watched past the third movie and only actually liked the first one because of the novelty.

Flabagast

I dont think you will

Overall vibes are a bit closer to the first two movies (helped by a more peaceful school and the music)

But the characters and dialogue are deadset boring compared to the books and movies. Like they decided every characters personality is polite English person

If you like tun of the mill open world games then it may still take your fancy. It doesn't do anything very interesting with its systems but is solid overall

I dont recommend playing it immediately after RDR2 like I have

On the flip side I am comparing it to a high bar (IMO) of the Harry Potter books so you may enjoy it more if you don't have that comparison to make
Yep exactly.

Basically in this type of game you have 5 hours of gameplay streched over 50, so the game lives or dies by the perenity and the depth of its settings, story and characters.

Hogwarts Legacy is well made and very beautiful with nice gameplay systems, but like every other game of this kind all the game design part runs thin after 5 hours (maybe 7 if you include the useless grindy subsystems of beasts and room of requirements). After that, all you face is the void of the writing which is ultra stale, even more than some already known shitty bland games like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima or Assassin's creed.

I have played 25 hours of Hogwarts Legacy and I could not tell you the name of one character, not one. I don't know anything about their lives except one Slytherin character who has a sick sister. I did not laugh once, did not feel sad once, did not feel intellectually challenged once. It's really barebones.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yep exactly.

Basically in this type of game you have 5 hours of gameplay streched over 50, so the game lives or dies by the perenity and the depth of its settings, story and characters.

Hogwarts Legacy is well made and very beautiful with nice gameplay systems, but like every other game of this kind all the game design part runs thin after 5 hours (maybe 7 if you include the useless grindy subsystems of beasts and room of requirements). After that, all you face is the void of the writing which is ultra stale, even more than some already known shitty bland games like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima or Assassin's creed.

I have played 25 hours of Hogwarts Legacy and I could not tell you the name of one character, not one. I don't know anything about their lives except one Slytherin character who has a sick sister. I did not laugh once, did not feel sad once, did not feel intellectually challenged once. It's really barebones.
It's like the writers weren't really writers or so afraid of offending anyone that everything got watered down to not not offend anyone

I'm not even a writer and recognise if your characters don't have motivation, personality and defined relationship to the protagonist you aren't hitting the brief. The first thing they should ask themselves is "if this wasn't in the Harry Potter world would it be a story worth following?"

I can easily remember and summarise 90% of characters from the books and can't remember any from the game so far.

Mossybrew

Same OP, never read the books, was too old for them at the time - and by the time the movies started coming out, my kids were kinda too young and just got bored, so we never watched beyond the first three. Despite this I'm really enjoying the game.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The third one and the last one are the best though. Second movie was always a bit meh. The third movie was directed by Alfonso Cuarón, and honestly anyone with a little bit of interest in the franchise should watch Prisoner of Azkaban

Turn to Page 394

I've only seen the first film, wasn't a fan and never bothered with the sequels.
The first two movies were aimed at a much younger audience and I can understand why you won't like them. The thing about this series is that most of us watched this series in high school and as the series went on, it kept getting darker and more, and the actors who played the characters also grew with us. The third movie is the transition from lighthearted to a darker tone, by the fourth movie it was like "Harry Potter ain't for kids anymore because people can die now" and the last three had even more darker tone(even with the color palletes used)

Last edited:
"So, overall, I don't give a shit."

You just answered your own question.

If you found them "terminally boring" then no. Go play something else. For whatever it's worth, as a big HP fan, this game feels like Skyrim/Witcher 3 but instead you go to magical school and have some crackpot old fools teaching you magic tricks.

For those who have never read the books or watched the movies it's worth a shot though. maybe wait for a sale. you might like it but yeah if you find HP boring you won't like this.

Last edited:

Kirkio

The third one and the last one are the best though. Second movie was always a bit meh. The third movie was directed by Alfonso Cuarón, and honestly anyone with a little bit of interest in the franchise should watch Prisoner of Azkaban

Turn to Page 394

The first two movies were aimed at a much younger audience and I can understand why you won't like them. The thing about this series is that most of watched this series in high school and as the series went on, it kept getting darker and more, and the actors who played the characters also grew with us. The third movie is the transition from lighthearted to a darker tone, by the fourth movie it was like "Harry Potter ain't for kids anymore because people can die now" and the last three had even more darker tone(even with the color palletes used)

Really enjoying the game so I will definitely be watching the rest of the films, thanks for the break down

fart town usa

Gold Member
The movies are the worst adaptation of the books, save for the first two that were directed by Chris Columbus.

The books are legit amazing, so much fun to read.

Game has nothing to do with the HP era though, just the same universe.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The movies are the worst adaptation of the books, save for the first two that were directed by Chris Columbus.
And yet I rarely see myself interested in rewatching the first two movies. The first two were faithful sure, but the later ones are overall better movies.
Game has nothing to do with the HP era though, just the same universe.
Game is set in 1800 I think. In the same universe.

I also don't care for Harry Potter (while I like LOTR, so I generally like fantasy).

I think the game is ok, not super great but decent. It's pretty much like a "modern" Assassin's Creed or similar open world game, from a gameplay perspective.

Last edited:
Top Bottom