• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumble

Decent chance of this happening since the Xbox is very competitive with games. So far sony's slate is good but lacks system sellers.

I can't stand the PS3/XB1 and MS/Sony comparisons any longer.

PS3 was designed as a game console with a Bluray player like PS2 was designed as a PS2 as a game console with a DVD player. Marketing it as a Bluray player early was needed to sell some units at initial price at all (and it was not that different from early PS2).

Sony was arrogant, but it was just out of desperation because Cell and Bluray turned out too expensive, especially early (and MS forced them to launch when blue lasers where in low supply). Still PS3 was about games from the start and it recovered because 1st/2nd party studios delivered.

The cheaper SKUs and price drops in general were no 180, they were a deperate and successful move to sell the machine.

Exactly, the PS3 was a steal at the time if you wanted a blu-ray player. I got the 20gb model for $499 close to launch and it was worth it as a blu-ray player/games machine. It wasn't because they were trying to fuck over consumers. They wanted to push blu-ray adoption sure. They've always shown respect for gamers. The "get a second job" thing is also always taken out of context.

Chitown B

I'll be sure to quote you. Anyone who thinks physical media will be dead in 5-7 years is crazy. Digital music sales only recently surpassed cd sales. Internet bandwidth caps exist for most people, and internet speeds are shit for a lot of people. Not a chance in hell.

look at 2006 and the amount of CDs still being bought, and the internet speeds on average. Look at 2014. then extrapolate that.

orochi91

Exactly, the PS3 was a steal at the time if you wanted a blu-ray player. I got the 20gb model for $499 close to launch and it was worth it as a blu-ray player/games machine. It wasn't because they were trying to fuck over consumers. They wanted to push blu-ray adoption sure. They've always shown respect for gamers. The "get a second job" thing is also always taken out of context.

To be fair, Tretton should never have said that. They were miserable in communicating
what their vision for the PS3 was.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
And what's a system seller for the Xbox? Cause it sure wasn't titanfall

Bring out the chalkboard!

9f10.jpg

King_Moc

Banned
I agree.

All of MS's actions seems reactionary to their sales. I wouldn't even say they listened. They only did those 180s because of the poor reaction from the market.

When MS did a 180 from their initial DRM policies, they blamed the consumer for not understanding (despite them never even attempting to explain).

When Sony did a 180 from the Driveclub PS+ discount/subscription issue, they apologised to their customers and said it was inapproriate to do that.

So yeah, I don't believe they have made any of their decisions with their customers in the mind at all, merely their bottom line.

Chitown B

When MS did a 180 from their initial DRM policies, they blamed the consumer for not understanding (despite them never even attempting to explain).

When Sony did a 180 from the Driveclub PS+ discount/subscription issue, they apologised to their customers and said it was inapproriate to do that.

So yeah, I don't believe they have made any of their decisions with their customers in the mind at all, merely their bottom line.

how do they get to those conclusions? They see what the customer liked and disliked, and make changes. They're not random changes. There are betas and their twitter acount / forums, and people give feedback. Also, reacting to sale numbers is "listening" in company speak.

TomShoe

Banned
Honestly, Sony have got this gen. in the bag. All they have to do is lead or keep
parity with XB1 in NA, while their sales in Europe and Asia widens their total
sales.

Like a poster above said, XB1 would have to pull in Wii like sales to just get ahead.

Too late for that, Kinect is dead.

That's not the definition of "system seller."

To be fair, it did sell systems, but it was more a "slow burn" in that people were buying XBOs in anticipation of Titanfall. Since that's come and gone, it explains the large drop in sales.

Salex_

are you saying Titanfall isn't the best selling game for two months straight?

You do know that the Xbox One sold less per week in March than the previous month, right? This was with Titanfall and all of those deals throughout the month. That isn't a "system seller". The game has a high attach rate though.

EDIT: Xbox One hardware sales
February: 258k -> 64.5k per week.
March: 311k -> 62.2k per week.

Coxy

how do they get to those conclusions? They see what the customer liked and disliked, and make changes. They're not random changes. There are betas and their twitter acount / forums, and people give feedback. Also, reacting to sale numbers is "listening" in company speak.

and listening is listening in non-kool-aid drinking speak.

AgentP

What does that have to do with it? The second months was almost all 360 sales...

So free TF in the box at $449 and it still lost to the bundle-less MSRP PS4. System seller indeed.

Boss Man

And what's a system seller for the Xbox? Cause it sure wasn't titanfall
I'm ashamed to admit that I was happy to see Titanfall not quite live up to the hype. It was marketed as a system-seller in this really weird and because we say so kind of way. Something just got on my nerves about that game's marketing push.

I think it's going to come down to the games though, and neither console really has a system selling game. Hell, I don't think there's even a (multiplatform) game that sells this generation yet.

Looking forward, the only exclusive system seller I see is Halo.

King_Moc

Banned

I'd rather they didn't blame the customers because they fucked up.

They must think I'm so selfish for having the sheer gall to expect to actually have ownership of the things that I buy.

Chitown B

we can speculate all we want but until the system is parity in pricing in June and the public catches on to the price drop, it's hard to compare apples to oranges pricing sales.

Chitown B

I'd rather they didn't blame the customers because they fucked up.

They must think I'm so selfish for having the sheer gall to expect to actually have ownership of the things that I buy.

Do you own iPhone games though? You will always be able to redownload them and always have access to them. But you can't resell them.

I love how the discussion has shifted to worldwide. Almost as if some people are hedging their bets.

I'd imagine PS4 is still going to win North America, but a lot depends on the games we see over the next 18 months. If MS can moneyhat a few more exclusives, and Sony's studios are slow in getting content out, Xbox One will steal the momemtum away.

As someone who hasn't jumped into this generation yet, I want to get a PS4, but there's only a few titles released or coming in the next few months that interest me. At this point I'd rather upgrade my PC.

To be fair and honest, It was, if you combine PC, Xbox One and 360 Sales. However, Infamous SS PS4 sold more copies than Titanfall Xbox One last month. Infamous was the highest selling next gen title in April.

Since this thread is about MS overtaking Sony in NA with next gen consoles (obviously, since 360 beat the PS3 in NA), I assume he meant Xbox One system sellers, considering the thread we are in.

quetz67

Banned
To be fair, Tretton should never have said that. They were miserable in communicating
what their vision for the PS3 was.

True, you can't defend that and yes, they were arrogant. But they had the vision of a fast gaming machine with a future proof disc format, even if that didn't turn out perfectly.

look at 2006 and the amount of CDs still being bought, and the internet speeds on average. Look at 2014. then extrapolate that.

In 2013 digital music sales were lower than in 2012.

I don't think you can extrapolate anything other than the music industry(sales) as a whole hit its peak in about the year 2000 and has been steadily dropping off ever since.

Boss Man

Do you own iPhone games though? You will always be able to redownload them and always have access to them. But you can't resell them.
No, and if iPhone games cost $60 and the only option for purchasing them was to purchase a license, I would not buy them.

Bgamer90

Banned
So free TF in the box at $449 and it still lost to the bundle-less MSRP PS4. System seller indeed.

So "system seller" just means beating the competition and nothing else?

The term's definition is seemingly getting changed/twisted to fit arguments. The game helped sell Xbox One consoles so I don't see how it isn't a system seller.

If a PS4 exclusive sells less than Titanfall, but the PS4 sold more than the Xbox One during the month of the game's release then it would make that game more of a system seller? That doesn't make much sense to me.

in the first few months of release?

Then what are people playing it on? Are PS4 players just buying the system and not buying games?

PS4 has attach rate of 3 so evidently people are buying quite a lot of games for it lol

Titanfall was nowhere close to being the system seller MS wanted it to be. Even after aggressive bundling, the XB1 was still outsold by the PS4. Thats just embarrassing considering how they hyped it up.

King_Moc

Banned

I only play digital games if they're very cheap, to the point that resell wouldn't bother me at all, so I do have a bunch of stuff on PC that's digital. Dark Souls 2 and Watch Dogs have both cost me just under £20. The amount saved more than makes up for the lack of resell value, so i'm ok with that. £55 for a game I'll be done with in a week though and can't resell though? No chance in hell I'm paying that.

And with regards to redownloading them, what happens when XB2 doesn't do backwards compatibilty, or they turn the servers off?

Barzul

shinobi602 ‏@shinobi602 13m
If what I'm hearing ends up true, I'm pretty goddamn excited for Microsoft's conference.

Shinobi just tweeted that. So looks like MS might have some truly epic stuff. Hope it helps them push sales.

AgentP

we can speculate all we want but until the system is parity in pricing in June and the public catches on to the price drop, it's hard to compare apples to oranges pricing sales.

Kinect-less SKU and $399 is on the front page of Amazon games. It has bulleted to the #180 range. If anything this SKU has cemented the idea that MS has no vision and an investment is a risk. The TF bundles has dropped from around #20 to back near #40. People seem less interested in the XB1 than ever. Maybe E3 will make things better.

Boss Man

Once all of the VR stuff started coming out, I thought maybe MS had done the right thing bundling Kinect. There's a chance that VR becomes the center point of this generation. It certainly doesn't seem like it will be the graphical or gameplay improvements.

AgentP

So "system seller" just means beating the competition and nothing else?

The term's definition is seemingly getting changed/twisted to fit arguments. The game helped sell Xbox One consoles so I don't see how it isn't a system seller.

If a PS4 exclusive sells less than Titanfall, but the PS4 sold more than the Xbox One during the month of the game's release then it would make that game more of a system seller? That doesn't make much sense to me.

COD sold over 3m on the PS4, I guess it is a system seller? System seller is used for a single pice of software that drives sales up in a big way, not only the month of release but for years to follow. This was Halo 1 for the Xbox. This was MGS2 for the PS2. The list is short and TF isn't near it.

orochi91

shinobi602 ‏@shinobi602 13m
If what I'm hearing ends up true, I'm pretty goddamn excited for Microsoft's conference.

Shinobi just tweeted that. So looks like MS might have some truly epic stuff. Hope it helps them push sales.

That would push sales only if Sony has a miserable showing in comparison.

TomShoe

Banned
Kinect-less SKU and $399 is on the front page of Amazon games. It has bulleted to the #180 range. If anything this SKU has cemented the idea that MS has no vision and an investment is a risk. The TF bundles has dropped from around #20 to back near #40. People seem less interested in the XB1 than ever. Maybe E3 will make things better.

Zomg PS4 dropped to #9.

PS4 is deaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Sony is dooooooooomed

OT: Give it some time. While preorders are a decent way to gauge interest for a product, all we have now is the $500 Kinect bundle that retailers need to sell, when stock of that runs dry and they start pining for Kinect-less editions, then we can get a better estimate of how well the price drop has worked.

Chitown B

To be fair and honest, It was, if you combine PC, Xbox One and 360 Sales. However, Infamous SS PS4 sold more copies than Titanfall Xbox One last month. Infamous was the highest selling next gen title in April.

Since this thread is about MS overtaking Sony in NA with next gen consoles (obviously, since 360 beat the PS3 in NA), I assume he meant Xbox One system sellers, considering the thread we are in.

True.

Look, I have no problem with people being pissed at policies MS used to have. But they are trying to change to fit the customer desires. Instead of Sony fanboys berating them and mocking them, we should be happy a company is willing to change to fit the mass consumer's wishes.

The problem with this discussion is Sony fans who want MS to fail and don't see anything they do as positive, no matter what the changes are. Anything MS does is reactionary and only copying Sony.

We are 6 months into a 10 year cycle. Nothing right now matters sale-wise, almost at all. We're talking 8 million out of 80 million sales lifetime. We all need to take a step back and let the consoles shake out their features. The 360 in 2005 doesn't resemble the 360 in 2014, at all. Even the 2008 X360's dash and features are different. These first few months mean almost nothing. Both systems will do well, and we need to stop pretending the X1 is dead. There's no reason to think or want this unless you have some vendetta against MS. I don't see any MS fans in this thread tearing down the X1, only PS4 fans. It's very one-sided, and I'm trying to balance it out. I'll buy a PS4 when some games come out for it.

King_Moc

Banned
That would push sales only if Sony has a miserable showing in comparison.

Overconfidence can lead to complacency, so you never know. They've certainly done it before. Although it does sound like they have more devs on board, so they'll struggle to mess it up I think.

Hopefully MS haven't just been spending peoples XBL fee on making sure other people can't have games again. Most anti-consumer practice in the industry.

killatopak

Gold Member
Not entirely true they could out price the ps4 but it would mean that would not make any money on the one for quite a while.

That would be true Circa 2006-2010 where the Xbox division has enough money to keep on doing these luxurious things like moneyhats. But we see investors and board members pushing to axe the Xbox division. The Xbox One was made to make money, not lose them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom