• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Xbox wasn't involved with Redfall, but it's still blamed for its quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Live feed of the author writing this article
eLDoCpp.png

GHG

I agree there's no reason this should be $70. Fair point there.

But I've never defined AAA by game price. I define it by development cost, team size, production values. This game is a mid tier AA shooter all the way. Just look at the character models. This wouldn't even be AAA last gen.

If the publishers/developers price it as a AAA game then we should expect a AAA experience in return.

And regarding the bold, firstly we have no idea on the first two (although we do know how long it was in development for roughly), and high quality production values are in no way guaranteed just because a lot of money and resources has been thrown at something. Star Citizen is testament to that.

But Microsoft sure has been treating it as one with the presence they've given it during their presentations and that $70 pricetag
Yuuup and Nadella wouldn't shout out a smaller AA game during an earnings call they absolutely expected more I sure as hell expected AAA quality after the first few reveals

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People absolutely need to start holding PUBLISHERS to account.

Stop blaming devs, when they aren't the ones responsible for selling the product, that's the publisher's role.

It never ceases to drive me crazy when its insinuated or alleged that the publisher didn't know what they were selling!

Does anyone think that even if the developer was negligent or malicious that's a good defense for the publisher then to "look the other way"! ? Especially if the publisher is the one funding the dev!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
But Microsoft sure has been treating it as one with the presence they've given it during their presentations and that $70 pricetag
They have. I'm just going off my own definition. I literally wouldn't call any Arkane game AAA. I think the game would have been received a lot better at $40-50.

Edder1

This is like saying Jim Ryan and co aren't to blame if next project by Bungie is a disaster, lol. Absolutely laughable take. I mean we've seen enough of these 60 rated games from Microsoft to know where they come from. People have been calling out Microsoft gaming division's quality control for a long time and here it is reeling its ugly face yet again. But Phil Spencer is protected as always from any sense of responsibility. Weve seen ir enough times to know how it goes.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
A rumor from a person who leaked Hi-Fi Rush, no less.
It was leaked earlier by other person.

The Zenimax deal closed over 2 years ago. There's no way you're telling me at no point in the last 2 years Matt Booty or one of his people didn't look at this game and think "maybe let's chat with whoever at Bethesda is the producer on this game".
Which part of XBox Games Studios and Bethesda are two separate entities you don't understand? Matt Booty has as much to say about anything happening in Bethesda as guy running Office team. Bethesda as a whole is run by Pete Hines and he is responsible for ensuring quality of their games.

Yoboman

I dunno where they got this idea that no oversight is the way to go

There are classic stories of Miyamoto tearing apart the work on Metroid Prime. Yoshida telling Cory Barlog he was horrified by God of War 2018.

Diamonds are made under pressure.

Creative freedom to choose a project, not everything that goes on after that

Rac3r

"After some investigation, I'm not sure Microsoft or ZeniMax have accepted the fact that failures at ZeniMax reflect on Xbox. We're seeing that play out in real-time with Redfall."
Yet they were happy to claim Hi-Fi Rush as a breakout hit for Xbox. Both Redfall and Hi-Fi Rush began development around 2018. Gotta take the bad with the good.

WR0pO2Z.png

ZehDon

Gold Member
Terrible article.

While I believe Xbox should've cancelled Redfall, let's pretend for a moment that Xbox's hands were somehow tied when they bought Bethesda - some magical contractual obligation as part of the purchase that Redfall couldn't be cancelled.
They've could've released it as a AA title into Game Preview, like Grounded, and managed expectations. I don't think anyone would've been thrilled with the game anyway, but the damage to the brand would've been limited and they'd have several built-in excuses for its rough state. Yet, despite its obvious flaws, they still chose to release it as a AAA title, market it as such, and dump it out in its current state. Regardless of its development, that's on Xbox - and that means it's on Phil Spencer. It's obvious Microsoft cut their losses on Redfall, but don't try and pretend Xbox is blameless. EA knew Jedi Survivor was in poor shape, Sony knew TLOU1 was a lazy port, and Xbox knew Redfall was not suitable for release.

Yoboman

It was leaked earlier by other person.

Which part of XBox Games Studios and Bethesda are two separate entities you don't understand? Matt Booty has as much to say about anything happening in Bethesda as guy running Office team. Bethesda as a whole is run by Pete Hines and he is responsible for ensuring quality of their games.
No control yet their games have magically become exclusive

ZehDon

Gold Member
Its nowhere close to that bad. Picture the cost to MS reputation if they canceled it. Scalebound ×1000.
A game doesn't need to be "bad" to be cancelled, it just needs to be "not good enough". And Redfall, at a foundational level, is "not good enough". It's an uninspired and soulless game that's as lifeless as its AI. It's a design-by-committee game that's a remnant of Zenimax's GaaS push before their acquisition, and its clear the people who made it had little passion for it. The day Xbox purchased Zenimax, they should've seen Redfall and canned it - no reveal trailer, no delay. Get the team working on something worthy of their talents.

Last edited:
I thought this was common knowledge that Bethesda studios still operated outside of the MS umbrella and answered to Pete Hines or whoever. We’ve also heard from numerous current and former XGS devs that MS is completely and totally hands off and allows their teams absolute freedom. Too much freedom according to some of those devs.

Im sure MS made some decisions, like canceling the PS5 version, and removing some of the GaaS elements. And it’s not like this acknowledgement that Bethesda controls the game absolves MS of blame, because Bethesda is still MS. If the Bethesda big wigs were in charge of QC and this game released, that’s still on Microsoft.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
A game doesn't need to be "bad" to be cancelled, it just needs to be "not good enough". And Redfall, at a foundational level, is "not good enough". It's an uninspired and soulless game that's as lifeless as its AI. It's a design-by-committee game that's a remnant of Zenimax's GaaS push before their acquisition, and its clear the people who made it had little passion for it. The day Xbox purchased Zenimax, they should've seen Redfall and canned it - no reveal trailer, no delay. Get the team working on something worthy of their talents.
Easy to say in hindsight. MS needed games. If they walk in and they get told they're at 60%. Toss it or finish it? I would probably say, take out the store and GAAS shit and try to finish it.

Riiiiight. Folks actually believe that ms has hands free on their studios i have a bridge to sell to y’all.

MS is responsible. MS pays the bills. MS takes the heat and the blame, as they should.

But the internal management of development apparently is handled separately at Bethesda. Thats what this is saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom