• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Third and final, would be the cast. To be perfectly frank, I could not find it in myself to be attracted to Hotaro and Chitanda independently or as a unit. Hotaro felt entirely cliche to me, a stereotypical loner outcast disaffected youngster who just can't give a darn gosh dang it! The path of his growth I can comfortably admit, I suppose, inasmuch as it was "Hotaro slowly begins to open up and give a shit about solving these mysteries" but it wasn't anything new or engaging. It felt textbook. In fact, it was difficult to not see much of the show as the writers opening "High School Anime 101" and writing from there with plot points like hot springs trips and school wonders going on, but I digress.

I will say, the weakness of setting a Sherlock-esque character in Japan and more importantly, in high school, is that his flaws are just comparatively mundane. Oreki can't be an coke/heroine/drug addict or hooked on Vicodin because his leg is constantly in pain.

But his arc, up to the end of the film arc at least, is a deconstruction of his conceitedness. He "successfully" tricks Chitanda, then solves one of her big mysteries, and part of his reasons for wanting to expend less energy and disengage is because he feels it's a waste of his time. He's not necessarily disaffected, he is just bored. It takes his sister, through Irisu, to destroy that aspect of his character and allow him to grow into the character he becomes in the second half of the series.

You bring up Flowers of Evil at the end, but I think Kasuga and Oreki don't really have the same neurosis or share the same concerns and anxieties.

JoeFu

Banned
.... I'm sad I read that spoiler.

I'm going to pretend I never heard of the manga or asked any questions about it.

cajunator

Banned
Usagi Drop 1-11

SCelG.gif

All these feels

Speaking of soulfood anime..

zeroshiki

Speaking of Hyouka, was there ever confirmation that Yonezawa is scripting Amagi Brilliant Park? I read somewhere that he's listed on the drama CDs, or something, and I was wondering if there was confirmation.

Nopes. Nothing. KyoAni will probably have another one of their Nico live announcements to confirm the staff eventually. There's really no reason for it to be Yonezawa and not Gatoh since its Gatoh's own damn LN that's being adapted.

Everytime somebody mentions they finished the Usagi Drop anime we all pretend we want to warn that person to not read the manga. But in reality we want to tell them the spoilers and 99% of people read it out of curiosity. Then get their dreams crushed.

We are cynical pieces of shit.

http://i.imgur.com/bVZrqCp.png

Please tell me this was actually made a while back and that we're THAT predictable

Everytime somebody mentions they finished the Usagi Drop anime we all pretend we want to warn that person to not read the manga. But in reality we want to tell them the spoilers and 99% of people read it out of curiosity. Then get their dreams crushed.

We are cynical pieces of shit.

Who is this "we"?

Hattori

Banned
"Hyouka sucks" has 1 more space, Dresden hates Hyouka :(

Edit: nvm
I apparently can't count anymore, I'm going to sleep

Oh were you guys talking about the huge Zetsubou Sensei reveal near the end of the show? If so, yeah it was amazing how much it was foreshadowed. Yet I never guessed it. That's twist done right. Like all the time traveling nods in earlier episodes of Steins;Gate

Gazoinks

Death of the author etc etc

If you look for the anime OT, there is actually a big warning that anime is anime and manga is manga and they don't cross.

Yeah. Honestly, the manga isn't a big deal for me. Like, I don't like the ending, but the manga is the manga and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the anime.

I though you use that avatar for that reason. My life is a lie.

It's either a penis or a wrestling ring turnbuckle pad.

I was planning on changing it soon anyway, but...
bOUoe6J.png

Jarmel

Banned
Nopes. Nothing. KyoAni will probably have another one of their Nico live announcements to confirm the staff eventually. There's really no reason for it to be Yonezawa and not Gatoh since its Gatoh's own damn LN that's being adapted.

I would honestly like to see Yonezawa take a crack at it. Would be sort of interesting to see the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom