• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
For Spring probably going to watch:

Sumo
Ping Pong
Baby Steps
Date A Alive S2
Jojo S3
Haikyuu

All I'm missing is the cute show for the season

clannad after story > your favourite anime

Now now, let's not get too ambitious here. Clannad After Story may be the god of the entire anime high-school romance genre that everybody should watch, but I can name at least three shows that are better than it as an anime in general.

Riffled

Banned
Maybe but Log Horizon was still airing. And that made it all worth it. This season has the necessary shows for each season though. I see one yuri show, and like 2-3 reverse harems. Gotta hit every demographic I guess. I'm not about to advocate yaoi as I don't really care for it (or yuri to be fair), but isn't it a bit funny how we have all these yuri shows but no yaoi?

I see mostly kids shows, sports and mecha. The generic kind of stuff seems to be mostly supernatural/magic kinda stuff, not much slice of life

Isshukan Friends, at least at first glance, look like it might be one of the more heartfelt shows this season. Assuming it doesn't go into megadrama region. What has Brain's Base done before? Should I be worried?

edit: Oh god saw the PV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvQtV2ijHM

This.... this is going to take me to FEELS TOWN. Looks pretty good not gonna lie, it might end up being my anime of the season... after Jojo.

From the New World 14

utw_shinsekai_yori_-_14_h264-720pc090297e-mkv_snapshot_06-01_2013-01-12_00-25-55.jpg

Things just got real.

That hearing with Saki I sat on the edge my seat the entire time. Satoru's grandmother
is 267 years old? What?! Crazy
. I guess Mamoru is getting
his wish to be with Maria
. The way love is dealt with in this show is still super weird and made more weird seeing as how they
haven't been messed with and are able to freely think for themselves

So that monkey/bamboos theory was bullshit when it concerns them which further infuriates me about how this show has structured itself early on. It's on the right track now but those early episodes all the way up to episode 9 was, indeed, bullcrap.

Also I don't know why the show feels the need to use the imagery like the picture above. At this point in the show/plot it feels out of place.

Now now, let's not get too ambitious here. Clannad After Story may be the god of the entire anime high-school romance genre that everybody should watch, but I can name at least three shows that are better than it as an anime in general.

Unless that is your favorite genre of anime. That genre envelops like 95% of anime at this point.

So that declaration isn't too far off. :p

Riffled

Banned
Seriously people should check out the Kindaichi Case Files remake. It's the best mystery anime besides Detective Conan.

Meh, in most season you get a couple of decent shows from things you have no expectations of and half (or more) of the hyped showed disappoint. I certainly wasn't expecting Silver Spoon and D-Frag to be the best shows of the Winter.

Articalys

March 10-16 was a pretty boring week for sales, but in the interest of completeness:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1067

I mean, the highest-selling anime-related item at 8,683 BD+DVD was the Precure Ending Movie Collection, which has creditless versions of all the CG Precure endings from Fresh through Doki, along with videos to help you learn the dance moves at both normal and half speed.

cajunator

Banned
The iDOLM@STER - Series Review

So after me asking multiple times in the last thread where certain screencaps/artwork came from I decided to finally get into this series and marathon in the course of 3 days. Again my initial interest in this series was the artstyle that appealed to me from screencaps posted; my only knowledge beforehand was that this series was based off of some rhythm/music game (series) of some kind.

I have to say I think I enjoyed this a bit 'too' much. Maybe I was just missing 'that' type of anime filled with a group of girls striving for a common dream/goal, plus it has music (my gawd the music).

Like all animes I watch for the first time I can't help but compare to past animes I watched, and the most similar to The iDOLM@STER is K-On!! But the former is just better imo. Instead of centering on girls lazing around doing a combination of both nothing and sometimes creating music, The iDOLM@STER centers around girls striving for a goal and producing music (it helped that there was an insert song in practically every episode). Perhaps I'm not comparing the right anime to it, but K-On!! is the one that most relates from what I've watched.

One flaw I noticed with this anime, is however perhaps its greatest draw and that's its large cast of characters. While each character did technically receive an episode dedicated solely to them, the anime focused on only half of them leaving the others as background; during the end said half was also cut and the anime focused on two-three characters. While I didn't mind the focus of two-thee character becoming the main characters during the end I would've preferred that this was better hinted at rather from watching the Opening Songs.

As for music, well its fucking great:

Jitensha (Bicycle)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6oWCXyggUg

Yakusoku (Promise)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwvMN5Yl3NE

Nemuri Hime (Sleeping Princess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_b-X_B8A0

Sometimes its nice to watch a laid-back anime but I find to make a show enjoyable of any sort there has to be some sort of plot or rely heavily on tropes such as humor and whatnot. The iDOLM@STER is part of the former and so far one of the top I've seen in this area of anime, glad to have watched it.

tumblr_mo16spFn0F1qi797xo6_500.gif

^Best idol

Well you seem to have nailed down the best idol so you got the most out of it. Also, you cant enjoy a show "too much".

Better to be on the list.

Thats so true :D

are there any anime that are told ENTIRELY in mockumentary/documentary style like the first episode of Idolmaster or... I guess... like The Office or bits of Modern Family or something?

Not that I can think of right away. Its kind of a hard way to tell a story, though Ive seen a few episodes of shows attempting to do it.

survivor

Banned

Well it wasn't supposed to be a fully serious statement. There are quite few stuff that I liked more than it. Let's just say episodes 16, 18 and 21 of AS are probably some of my favourite episodes anime I have seen.

sonicmj1

So that monkey/bamboos theory was bullshit when it concerns them which further infuriates me about how this show has structured itself early on. It's on the right track now but those early episodes all the way up to episode 9 was, indeed, bullcrap.

It's not. That's an aspect of their genetics, and it's completely unrelated to their hypnotically-reinforced social conditioning.

Maybe but Log Horizon was still airing. And that made it all worth it. This season has the necessary shows for each season though. I see one yuri show, and like 2-3 reverse harems. Gotta hit every demographic I guess. I'm not about to advocate yaoi as I don't really care for it (or yuri to be fair), but isn't it a bit funny how we have all these yuri shows but no yaoi?

Dont we get Free S2 next season.

From the New World 15

I don't trust this Monster Rat. Not one bit.

This is not a concept of love that I like. Yo! I love you and all but I have another person that I make out with just cause. It's a dumb concept to me. This show is best when it doesn't focus on it's relationships between characters.

The show is best when there's tension and when the crap hits the fan. The episode was alright. The only thing that was exciting in this episode is the cliffhanger ending. I could care less about Monster Rats and their colonies.

BluWacky

I have successfully completed... nothing this season. I have the best intentions of catching up with Noragami, Space Dandy and Samumenco, though.

In April I suppose I'm looking forward to new Mushishi, Ping Pong and Captain Earth. Maybe One Week Friends and Knights of Sidonia as well - and I suspect I'll keep an eye out for impressions of the execrable looking Nanana's Buried Treasure to see if it's noitaminA or newtaminA.

It's not. That's an aspect of their genetics, and it's completely unrelated to their hypnotically-reinforced social conditioning.

It's still pretty stupid. Even with the "oh it's in there genes" excuse.

The "everyone loves everybody on an emotional and sexual level" is.... just really weird.

cajunator

Banned
After Story wishes it could be Hidamari Sketch.

Correct.

Everything wishes it could be Hidamari Sketchy.

I'll take it as pride now. Woofdawgs everywhere are nodding in an approving fashion. I have now been promoted to.... whatever comes after Admiral

All my best friends already graduated college. My life in my college town involves class work, group projects, and watching anime. Every 2-3 weeks I go spend my weekends with friends to have friend contact. I want to not got crazy in solitary mode. All work and no play makes woofdawg a dull dawg.

I have a week thats almost all work and a week thats almost all play. Seems to work out ok.

http://i7.minus.com/iwBU0arPwNMWj.png

I think this is actually the newest.

Yeah its looking a bit sparse but Date A Live II is in there.

BluWacky

The "everyone loves everybody on an emotional and sexual level" is.... just really weird.

Your description is a little bit of a simplification, IMO. Sex in the society is less about emotional or physical commitment but as a way of defusing tension or conflict; that's where the bonobo element comes in. Most of the sexual activity in FTNW occurs out of stress.

I also think there's a difference between something being "weird" and something being "stupid". Of course it's weird - it's deliberately so, and much of what makes the show effective is the distortion of modern morality that we see as a byproduct of the existence of Jyuryoku or whatever the Crunchyroll subs call it.

Society has changed so much that the cultural and sociological values (if that's the right word) in Kamisu 66 are completely different from those in modern Japan or anywhere else in the world. Physically Saki and the gang are outwardly the same as we are - but culturally they are completely different.

cajunator

Banned
For Spring probably going to watch:

Sumo
Ping Pong
Baby Steps
Date A Alive S2
Jojo S3
Haikyuu

All I'm missing is the cute show for the season

No worries. Something really cute always pops up on the schedule.

From the New World 14

Things just got real.

That hearing with Saki I sat on the edge my seat the entire time. Satoru's grandmother
is 267 years old? What?! Crazy
. I guess Mamoru is getting
his wish to be with Maria
. The way love is dealt with in this show is still super weird and made more weird seeing as how they
haven't been messed with and are able to freely think for themselves

Also I don't know why the show feels the need to use the imagery like the picture above. At this point in the show/plot it feels out of place.

Im quite ok with that sort of imagery :D

I'm not sure if you noticed but that artist gave you animal ears.

The best part of course!

sonicmj1

It's still pretty stupid. Even with the "oh it's in there genes" excuse.

Well, everyone doesn't love everyone equally on an emotional level, since they break down into monogamous pairs at some point. But for the other thing, what's so stupid about it? The show even cites existing examples in nature for you.

It's different from our modern society because we aren't wired the way they are, but that's a part of the core premise.

survivor

Banned
Clannad + After Story

contract completed

So this was a pretty good ride, at least the second half of it. Original Clannad is plagued with problems. The most noticeable thing is the lazy direction of the earlier parts of it. Completely feels like a VN adaptation where it's just random encounters of events with various characters and then moving on to the next event and so on. No rhythm or anything special. Not to mention the use of music is atrocious, repetitive and resorting at bad times to silence when it's not needed. The source material also wasn't that exciting either. The Fuko arc
is probably the only highlight of the first series. The ending with the cheesy music and everyone crying with the ghost girl is probably the closest thing to Anohana and I think that's a good thing.
After that, the series ranged from mediocre to average. Kotomi's arc
wasn't that exciting despite them having a good tragedy event. The whole thing just ended up being far too silly.
Everything after I got sort of a fuzzy memory about it. Not sure if it's cause I wasn't paying that much attention or if it's really just forgettable. Either way it probably wasn't that good.

After Story on the other hand was somehow able to up the production values and make it actually pleasant to look at. I'm not sure if KyoAni decided to put more effort or if they got a bigger budget or something, but there is a really noticeable difference in quality. They lessened the effect of the ugly character designs, had some really nice looking backgrounds in some episodes and the use of music got much better.

I still don't care much for the first half of After Story.
All the school arcs and I don't really remember them that well now weren't that good. Didn't cover any new grounds and felt just like watching original Clannad but with better production values. Of course the graduation it suddenly got a whole a lot better. It probably has to do with the fact that all of Tomoya's friends were gone which allowed the series to stop with the slapstick comedy and go over some meaningful parts of life after graduation.

Which takes me to episodes 16, 18 and 21 being really my favourite parts of this anime, highly memorable stuff too. I'm still in the opinion that episode 18 with a sort of epilogue was a nice send off to the series. Having Ushio die really wasn't necessary. I mean sure I ended up liking the scene in the snow with her and Tomoya, but I think as a whole the series has peaked at episode 18. The nice parallels of Tomoya's relationship with his dad and how he was heading towards that path with Ushio and then the eventual scene where he accepts his responsibility of Ushio was really good.

Miracle stuff of the last episode wasn't really what I expected. My ideal scenario would really have been just Nagisa dying and maybe Ushio facing death, but eventually getting saved while concluding that little girl and robot. Nagisa really didn't need to come back. I fully accepted her loss, but I suppose Key had to go and give us a completely happy ending.

In a way, Clannad is sorta like Anohana. The entire series dips in quality from mediocre to average to something watchable. But then when you get to the highs, the really good parts like Anohana's ending or Clannad specific 3 episodes, they really make up for it. It's pretty much an uneven series when looked at completely, but really I don't care about that when I think about it. I'm only remembering the highs of the series and I think they help overshadow most of the flaws at least for me.

Your description is a little bit of a simplification, IMO. Sex in the society is less about emotional or physical commitment but as a way of defusing tension or conflict; that's where the bonobo element comes in. Most of the sexual activity in FTNW occurs out of stress.

I also think there's a difference between something being "weird" and something being "stupid". Of course it's weird - it's deliberately so, and much of what makes the show effective is the distortion of modern morality that we see as a byproduct of the existence of Jyuryoku or whatever the Crunchyroll subs call it.

Society has changed so much that the cultural and sociological values (if that's the right word) in Kamisu 66 are completely different from those in modern Japan or anywhere else in the world. Physically Saki and the gang are outwardly the same as we are - but culturally they are completely different.

Well, everyone doesn't love everyone equally on an emotional level, since they break down into monogamous pairs at some point. But for the other thing, what's so stupid about it? The show even cites existing examples in nature for you.

It's different from our modern society because we aren't wired the way they are, but that's a part of the core premise.

I get what you guys are saying and how "it is supposed to be like that".

But I personally don't like how it's handled and no amount of excuses the show throws out can make up for it. I get others here on AnimeGAF may enjoy the lame excuse they use but I don't. The show is at it's best when it doesn't focus on it or tries to defend it. But insists on doing so every so often. Honestly I am quite puzzled some on here would defend it so much given how when other series give a lame excuse for why they do their own love thing people bash it.

Clannad + After Story

contract completed

So this was a pretty good ride, at least the second half of it. Original Clannad is plagued with problems. The most noticeable thing is the lazy direction of the earlier parts of it. Completely feels like a VN adaptation where it's just random encounters of events with various characters and then moving on to the next event and so on. No rhythm or anything special. Not to mention the use of music is atrocious, repetitive and resorting at bad times to silence when it's not needed. The source material also wasn't that exciting either. The Fuko arc
is probably the only highlight of the first series. The ending with the cheesy music and everyone crying with the ghost girl is probably the closest thing to Anohana and I think that's a good thing.
After that, the series ranged from mediocre to average. Kotomi's arc
wasn't that exciting despite them having a good tragedy event. The whole thing just ended up being far too silly.
Everything after I got sort of a fuzzy memory about it. Not sure if it's cause I wasn't paying that much attention or if it's really just forgettable. Either way it probably wasn't that good.

After Story on the other hand was somehow able to up the production values and make it actually pleasant to look at. I'm not sure if KyoAni decided to put more effort or if they got a bigger budget or something, but there is a really noticeable difference in quality. They lessened the effect of the ugly character designs, had some really nice looking backgrounds in some episodes and the use of music got much better.

I still don't care much for the first half of After Story.
All the school arcs and I don't really remember them that well now weren't that good. Didn't cover any new grounds and felt just like watching original Clannad but with better production values. Of course the graduation it suddenly got a whole a lot better. It probably has to do with the fact that all of Tomoya's friends were gone which allowed the series to stop with the slapstick comedy and go over some meaningful parts of life after graduation.

Which takes me to episodes 16, 18 and 21 being really my favourite parts of this anime, highly memorable stuff too. I'm still in the opinion that episode 18 with a sort of epilogue was a nice send off to the series. Having Ushio die really wasn't necessary. I mean sure I ended up liking the scene in the snow with her and Tomoya, but I think as a whole the series has peaked at episode 18. The nice parallels of Tomoya's relationship with his dad and how he was heading towards that path with Ushio and then the eventual scene where he accepts his responsibility of Ushio was really good.

Miracle stuff of the last episode wasn't really what I expected. My ideal scenario would really have been just Nagisa dying and maybe Ushio facing death, but eventually getting saved while concluding that little girl and robot. Nagisa really didn't need to come back. I fully accepted her loss, but I suppose Key had to go and give us a completely happy ending.

In a way, Clannad is sorta like Anohana. The entire series dips in quality from mediocre to average to something watchable. But then when you get to the highs, the really good parts like Anohana's ending or Clannad specific 3 episodes, they really make up for it. It's pretty much an uneven series when looked at completely, but really I don't care about that when I think about it. I'm only remembering the highs of the series and I think they help overshadow most of the flaws at least for me.

Nice. Thanks for the thoughts. Glad you got something out of it. That's the entire point and goal to this challenge.

I want to try and finish one of Branduil's challenge anime before I finish yours. But I promise to finish yours as quickly as possible since you were so good at finishing Clannad so quickly.

JoeFu

Banned
Excellent. Its one of the best recent anime.
Very unique and original.
Have you watched Tsuritama? Highly recommend that one!

Nope, I didn't really watch much anime until last November. It's been my go to free time thing since then. I'll check it out since it's on CR as well.

You watched and gave impressions for every episode of Gintama that's a fair amount of posts already.

Imagine if I actually wrote impressions for each Doremi episode individually. I'd have posted far more than I did. (Might do this near the end of Dokkann! though)

I would definitely recommend doing seperate posts for the last few Doremi episodes. Mainly 40 onward, which pretty much gives you an idea of how things go down from there. And I guess if you didn't group everything, you would've watched less episodes in each burst. Some people did that with Doremi at least.

That and I actually grouped some Gintama episodes, based on the arc.

Bahahahaha. Well, strictly speaking it's a carafe (the name says so, it must be true! never mind that wikipedia says carafes shouldn't have handles) but, uh...yeah. I can't imagine kids going crazy for that particular item.

I am loving your Splash Star re-impressions, by the way. How is Splash Star so good?!

I believe even being through the entire franchise, I'm finding qualities and aspects of SS that aren't there any more. I mean, it's not going to say... go for a large amount of side characters like HC is, but it did give you a set of characters, who appear very fucking often, and it's like.... I miss that. Like... it feels perfect in terms of size. Helps that it improved on FW in many areas. Plus there's also the moral code differences between FW-GoGo and Fresh-Doki/HapCha(?)

It feels different enough to the point that it doesn't feel like a drag, and frankly, I'm really enjoying this run.

From the New World 16

Well the end to this episode has been coming for a long time. Since one of the earlier episodes.
Satoru x Saki
is a thing now I guess. Please don't time skip again anime. I've noticed that every time one arc starts to wind down or
members of group 1 leave for good
they do a time skip. Gonna be mad if they do it again.

I am not sure what I want from this show anymore. A lot of the elements that drive the show frustrate me. The thing is that the show has it's moments of brilliance like with Episode 14.

This episode reused a lot of animation from previous episodes. I'll admit
Maria narrating the letter
was a bit sad.

But so far the show has been aggressively mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom