• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Next Gen Features Trailer

In fact it doesn't look too different to what's already available on PC with mods.

That's the thing with mods - you can do whatever you want given the time and tools. Even heavily modded GTA 4 is probably going to look better than GTA 6, and modded "next-gen" Witcher 3 might not be far off from Witcher 4.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I think the argument is that people expected more and would have been willing to pay for it if more was offered.

As it stands its a perfectly fine upgrade considering it's free, it looks nice enough but it's not a huge step up over the original. In fact it doesn't look too different to what's already available on PC with mods.

Suffice to say, this new version when modded will look even better.

People really underestimate the impact that RTGI and RT ambient occlusion will have on this game. Plus there's DLSS (and FSR) support.

Everything in the video you posted looks flat, especially foliage. No proper shadows. Don't tell me this doesn't look better:

xZSTA4k.jpg

Everything in the video you posted looks flat, especially foliage. No proper shadows. Don't tell me this doesn't look better:

xZSTA4k.jpg

Like they said in the stream. It's still the Witcher 3 as we know it. Same colours, same vibe, same characteristics and identity.

I never once saw that in a modded Witcher.

And I cannot stress enough how much I love the look of the game in that screenshot.

GHG

That's the thing with mods - you can do whatever you want given the time and tools. Even heavily modded GTA 4 is probably going to look better than GTA 6, and modded "next-gen" Witcher 3 might not be far off from Witcher 4.

While true you would hope that developers with the resources that the likes of CDPR have would be able to do better than a bunch of modders. This is especially the case here where they are integrating a number of mods into this update so much of the work was already done.

I don't know, I just expected a bit more overall and was hoping they could have got it closer to that bullshot footage.

Suffice to say, this new version when modded will look even better.

People really underestimate the impact that RTGI and RT ambient occlusion will have on this game. Plus there's DLSS (and FSR) support.

xZSTA4k.jpg

Yep that's what I'm looking forward to seeing how much further modders can push things.

SABRE220

So guys whats the verdict?
did they finally match pre-downgrade levels of fidelity or does the original trailer still look better? That's my minimum expectation for the next gen upgrade. Theyhave enough tflops, they have an upgraded engine, and the original assets so they should be able to achieve it.

hussar16

Like they said in the stream. It's still the Witcher 3 as we know it. Same colours, same vibe, same characteristics and identity.

I never once saw that in a modded Witcher.

And I cannot stress enough how much I love the look of the game in that screenshot.
It looks the same .they could have at least updated the graphics to cyberpunk level since it's same engine .all they did was add Ray tracing which is easiest option actually to do

hussar16

So guys whats the verdict?
did they finally match pre-downgrade levels of fidelity or does the original trailer still look better? That's my minimum expectation for the next gen upgrade. Theyhave enough tflops, they have an upgraded engine, and the original assets so they should be able to achieve it.
Verdict is they did not match even old downgraded trailer but the fanboys are eating it up anyway because they are blind

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I can not imagine playing with the new "immersive camera'. I remember when they updated the game to remove a similar camera angle from the "detective mode" and just that was a breath of fresh air.

I like immersion, and I'd like to be proven wrong, but I can't imagine enjoying that camera in this game.

Flabagast

This is the worst possible shot to show RTGI, as there's really nothing in the scene that would be terribly affected by it. Where RTGI is going to show is in areas with a lot of indirect lighting, like interior with windows, or caves where outside light might be bouncing in.
Yep exactly, there wont be much difference in direct sunlight but it should normally be huge in other instances (including at night if the solution applies also to torches and so on). Weird that they did not show gameplay in interiors or caves though

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm not bitter about anything. It's you thinking that CDPR owe you or something. Praising a modder for doing work in his spare time. CDPR have done a free upgrade on a 7 year old game. Appreciate rather than hate or bring up a modder.
I only spoke about the modder in response to a member posting his texture rework, And i just said that i would expect a better job from a big studio with a big budget IF a texture rework was included in the upgrade, and that is hardly controversial or me bashing cdproject.

And since the texture rework is not inside the upgrade the whole point is mute, we already moved on.

They included rtx instead of a texture rework, some people are happy with that, personally i would have taken an even better texture rework compared to the modder over any rtx effect.

I was one of the few that didn't bashed cdproject for the launch of Cyberpunk even if they deserved any bit of that because my experience on pc was pretty good, and honestly less bugged than any ubisoft open world at launch, i'm hardly a cdproject hater.

Ristifer

Verdict is they did not match even old downgraded trailer but the fanboys are eating it up anyway because they are blind
Not really a lot of fanboys here. I see a lot of people bitching and moaning about a free update. I guess people decided that since CDPR spread everyone's cheeks without consent with Cyberpunk 2077, they are now owed a free complete remake of TW3. A notion so mindbogglingly stupid, it could only come from someone wearing tinfoil.

Not really a lot of fanboys here. I see a lot of people bitching and moaning about a free update. I guess people decided that since CDPR spread everyone's cheeks without consent with Cyberpunk 2077, they are now owed a free complete remake of TW3. A notion so mindbogglingly stupid, it could only come from someone wearing tinfoil.

We've reached a new low, unfortunately. Next up is people disappointed that their base edition isn't upgraded with free Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine expansions.

A.Romero

Whoever feels it would have been better to pay $70 for this need not to worry. In a few years you will have the chance to pay that amount for Witcher 4.

hussar16

Were you expecting a full remake for free or something?
No at the least an red engine upgrade to cyberpunk game engine. They have the tools but instead they just turned on some baked in ray tracing switch. I belive I heard them talk about updating the Witcher 3 game to the cyberpunk engine st one point

Braag

No at the least an red engine upgrade to cyberpunk game engine. They have the tools but instead they just turned on some baked in ray tracing switch. I belive I heard them talk about updating the Witcher 3 game to the cyberpunk engine st one point
2 genuine questions. Is it really that simple to move a game to a vastly upgraded version of the same engine? And does doing so magically make the game instantly better looking?

Most next gen upgrades are just higher resolution, better frames and some minor visual changes (like Uncharted 4). Are there many next gen upgrades of slightly older games which completely overhauled the visuals as some people are expecting here.

Skifi28

It looks the same .they could have at least updated the graphics to cyberpunk level since it's same engine .all they did was add Ray tracing which is easiest option actually to do
The lighting has been upgraded RTGI and the textures are brand new and very high quality. Are you missing RT reflections for all the neon lights in Novigrad? I think ambient occlusion was the better choice.

Seriously, even the original game without mods still looks awesome to this day and they improved upon it. I really don't know what more people want. Also, saying "cyberpunk level" doesn't really mean anything.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
2 genuine questions. Is it really that simple to move a game to a vastly upgraded version of the same engine? And does doing so magically make the game instantly better looking?

Most next gen upgrades are just higher resolution, better frames and some minor visual changes (like Uncharted 4). Are there many next gen upgrades of slightly older games which completely overhauled the visuals as some people are expecting here.
If the updated engine is made in such a way to support legacy content, which is sometimes the case with commercial engines that want to preserve access to content libraries or help developers switching midstream.

But it's hardly a given, and it's likely to introduce a million little issues that will need to be playtested and identified and fixed.

I agree, people may have been expecting a bit much if they thought we would get something that feels truly next gen, rather than just a better looking and performing version of the same game with some meaningful improvements.

Fake

Seriously, even the original game without mods still looks awesome to this day and they improved upon it. I really don't know what more people want. Also, saying "cyberpunk level" doesn't really mean anything.

To be honest, Digital Foundry did a Cyberpunk video with the FSR on consoles and said is pretty good.

The true is, people hate Cyberpunk and thats lead to the CD Project hate, whatever their work is good or not.

Last edited:

hussar16

The lighting has been upgraded RTGI and the textures are brand new and very high quality. Are you missing RT reflections for all the neon lights in Novigrad? I think ambient occlusion was the better choice.

Cyberpunk engine is the se engine but upgraded .could have put witcher 3 and given those red engine upgrades to next gen edition but chose not to

Denton

They literally had to rewrite most of the engine to support modern city environment with cars and hundreds of NPCs on screen and you think porting Witcher 3 to that is easy as pie? It might not even be doable given the vast gulf between those two games systems. Doing that would amount to a full remake.

Also, to those bitching about the nextgen update not looking like those early trailers:

Those were made when unified lighting model for the game didn't exist yet, so artists had to setup lighting individually for each scene in those trailers. Doing that is possible for a trailer, impossible for the whole game due to its scope. Obviously lighting changed when that system was implemented. Expecting this update to have same lighting as those trailers is, yet again, idiotic, because that custom lighting is impossible to recreate with unified system.

It is funny/sad how CDP does go above and beyond what 99% of "nextgen updates" offer, and they do it for 7 year old game to boot (timeframe when most devs not not even bother with updates at all, hello Ubisoft, Rockstar and plenty others), they release it for free, and people still bitch.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Cyberpunk engine is the se engine but upgraded .could have put witcher 3 and given those red engine upgrades to next gen edition but chose not to
You can't just take the old assets, compile them in the new engine (especially one as fussy and buggy as the new Red Engine) and expect it to "just work," let alone suddenly look like a modern game.

All those fancy new rendering features mean nothing if the assets aren't exploiting them. Witcher 3 doesn't have the quality of materials we see in modern games, it's 7 years old. There is no easy way to make the game look completely modern short of actually remaking it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom