• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•21-23•17 - F8 leads the box office, and drags those who resist

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

DisneyNature films are just pricey PR pieces tied into their charity works. They can boast about raising awareness on the featured animals and have something to sell in their Animal Kingdom theme park/zoo. I don't think that they expect to make a big profit on the films.

ThisOne

FF has already obviously made huge profits, but I can't help be a little surprised at the relatively low domestic totals so far. Thought the movie would perform closer to FF7 than it has so far.

Isn't he a producer on F+F films as well? I was under the assumption that he makes more than enough $$$ from them to allow him to do dumb crap he wants to do like "Last Witch Hunter"

Yes, of course, plus his production company makes money. Money isn't even the point here tho.

I would guess, (based solely on the word that came out of the beef on set stuff) Vin has no interest in a scenario where the FF brand becomes more closely associated with Dwayne than him.

Ridley327

No Paul Walker death bump.

I've been thinking about the ramifications of him no longer being around for a bit, as I think Brian brought a level of calm and normalcy to a crew largely comprised of superheroes. Brian was the straight man and very much an audience surrogate, to the point where even after he had been more indoctrinated in the antics that Dom's crew got into, you could still rely on that character having a cooler head to bring the mood down just enough to make sense of whatever unfolded. Going forward, that's going to be a really tough spot to fill and I think that the spectacle of the stunts and schemes losing that degree of temperance is going to make it hard to be as invested in what happens next.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't believe that FF8 had a 250 million dollar budget. WTF did they spend all that money on?
They build literally hundreds of cars for each movie.

And the trailer shows them ejecting cars out of a parking garage en masse and another scene where a swarm of hacked cars flow through the streets and crash into everything soooo

ryan299

Is it just mindless action that is making the last two fast and furious movies so popular in China? I don't get those numbers.

kswiston

If that end credits stinger story has any truth to it, he REALLY doesn't want the spinoff or a hint of a spinoff to happen.

When it comes down to it, Vin has no say what Universal does with the franchise. If they wanted to do a Bow Wow spin-off, there would be a Bow Wow spin-off.

Xiaoki

Very impressive numbers for FotF, but with 85% of the Box Office being foreign revenue you have to wonder where its going to rank on the most profitable movies of 2017?

Secret Life of Pets taking the 2016 crown by a wide margin is an eye opener.

Jawmuncher

Is is just mindless action that is making Fast 8 so popular in China? I don't get those numbers.

China seems to like action above all else. XXX and Resident Evil Final Chapter made a lot of bank over there too, despite weak domestic totals.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
China seems to like action above all else. XXX and Resident Evil Final Chapter made a lot of bank over there too, despite weak domestic totals.

I think Internationally the "Hollywood Stars" still have an impact there
Domestically you see star power isn't what it used to be, people go for the film or premise more than if so and so is in it
International hasn't caught up yet or maybe it doesn't want too

DeathyBoy

Banned
When it comes down to it, Vin has no say what Universal does with the franchise. If they wanted to do a Bow Wow spin-off, there would be a Bow Wow spin-off.

Not to mention how if they did a spin off, he'd earn a fortune for no work. Dude is pretty smart.

Kart94

Banned
908 Million for fast 8? What a shame it is making so much. It is such an awful film. Go watch a real action movie like Fury Road instead.

But then again Transformers keeps making money despite being just as terrible.

Kart94

Banned
Such a shame people likes things you don't.

:(

You what else is a bigger shame, this shit fest is going to make 1 billion while an actual classic action movie like Fury Road which has more class and excitement than all the fat movies combined had to struggle to make profit. Am i not allowed to be disatisfied when bad movies make bank?

You what else is a bigger shame, this shit fest is going to make 1 billion while an actual classic action movie like Fury Road had to struggle to make profit. Am i not allowed to be disatisfied when bad movies make bank

It is your opinion that it is bad but you have every right to vote with your wallet.

Other people also have that right.

ascii42

You what else is a bigger shame, this shit fest is going to make 1 billion while an actual classic action movie like Fury Road which has more class and excitement than all the fat movies combined had to struggle to make profit. Am i not allowed to be disatisfied when bad movies make bank?

How would you know it's bad unless you helped it to make that $1 billion?

this_guy

What a dumb post. Such a shame that people who don't understand people like different things are allowed to post on the internet.

Am i doing this right?

gamz

Just curious....Why do you continue to support the series?

Fury Road allegedly cost as much as F8 did
it really cost like 400 million

It's an incredible movie but it was also Rated R and a revival of a 30 year old franchise

Worldwide Updates

Beauty and the Beast - $1100M ($12.8M opening in Japan, it should easily hit $100M there)

Fate of the Furious - $908M ($301M in China without service fees)

The Boss Baby - $320M (greater than LEGO Batman)

Ghost in the Shell - $163M (pretty much done now. Should finish around $170M)

EDIT: Actually, Overseas for the Boss Baby hasn't been updated yet.

What does that mean? That Universal takes a lager % than 25?

BumRush

Some people enjoy going to the movies to see fun, relatively mindless action like the FF movies. Nothing at all wrong with that

It was apart of a franchise no one cared for in decades. Of course it wasn't gonna make bank despite the praise. F&F has characters a lot of audiences find enjoyable and relate to.

Guess we'll get another Boss Baby in the future.
I fucking LOVE Boss Baby but I hope they don't. The story wraps up neatly and even though they have like a little wink-nudge "setup" for a sequel at the end it's really played more for the gag effect and not a real setup for a new story. Like how The Lego Movie ends with that "cliffhanger".

But hey if they can make a sequel that stands up to the first one in terms of visual storytelling and imagination then go for it, the last time I was this surprised by a movie was the Lego Movie. I just want the team that did TBB to be able to do whatever they want, they've more than proven themselves in my eyes and the box office side of things doesn't seem too shabby.

I wouldn't rule out a Netflix show though. I google'd and didn't see anything but I'm pretty sure Netflix and Dreamworks have a deal that turns like literally any DWA movie into a Netflix series. The only recent one that doesn't have a series yet is Trolls I think? FAST, Home, even Mr Peabody and Sherman have all gotten series. And then of course there's HttYD and KFP.

I've been thinking about the ramifications of him no longer being around for a bit, as I think Brian brought a level of calm and normalcy to a crew largely comprised of superheroes. Brian was the straight man and very much an audience surrogate, to the point where even after he had been more indoctrinated in the antics that Dom's crew got into, you could still rely on that character having a cooler head to bring the mood down just enough to make sense of whatever unfolded. Going forward, that's going to be a really tough spot to fill and I think that the spectacle of the stunts and schemes losing that degree of temperance is going to make it hard to be as invested in what happens next.

I think they tried to position Scott Eastwood's character to take that role in this one, though I don't think he has anywhere near the same charm that Walker does. I kept thinking there was gong to be some big reveal with him by the end of the movie, but it turns out he's just an awkward and unnatural actor.

D23

908 Million for fast 8? What a shame it is making so much. It is such an awful film. Go watch a real action movie like Fury Road instead.

I don't get this kind of post really. This movie is extremely entertaining and deserve all the success. Why shit on it? How is that shame?

Ridley327

I think they tried to position Scott Eastwood's character to take that role in this one, though I don't think he has anywhere near the same charm that Walker does. I kept thinking there was gong to be some big reveal with him by the end of the movie, but it turns out he's just an awkward and unnatural actor.

Yeah, I had read that Scott Eastwood was being tapped as the "replacement," but I don't know how you replace over a decade's worth of interactions and emotional core. I'd say that's a problem that's virtually insurmountable, even if Eastwood was better than mediocre.

There's literally nothing in Fate that indicates to me that Scott's character was there to replace Brian's

They aren't really the same at all

J_Viper

I don't understand how Eastwood Jr can be so terrible. Can the dude not afford acting lessons?

He had me wishing Luke Black came back instead

ZeoVGM

Banned

This is so incredibly embarrassing.

Schlorgan

??

There's no way you can tell me with a straight face that Fast 5-7 (haven't seen 8 yet) are worse than any of the Transformers movies.

Bay wishes he could make movies that good (outside of The Rock).

??

There's no way you can tell me with a straight face that Fast 5-7 are worse than any of the Transformers movies.

Bay wishes he could make movies that good (outside of The Rock)

Yup. Been saying it for a bit in these threads, but the Fast series is everything Bay has been trying (and failing) to achieve for the last 20 years.

Yes, I'll just rewatch Fury Road to the end of time and ignore every new action movie in cinema from now on. /s

The Fast and Furious movies are fun blockbusters, get over it.

oh goddammit, there was already a new thread. Fuck my life for not checking OT first.

Hello, how are you? I'm just going to leave that shit there though. No need to go full Bronson. (this is a test to see if that signal thing works)

The closest he got was The Rock and the bridge sequence from Bad Boys 2.

Mostly agreed. The Rock was Bay still restrained, but starting to spread his wings and show off a bit.
And the bridge sequence is the only good scene in Bad Boys 2. I am in the minority that really dislikes the film and prefers the first one. There are some fun scenes and moments in it, but overall it is just a mean spirited, bloated mess.
Maybe nearly a decade and a half space is enough for me to go back and reevaluate it.

oh goddammit, there was already a new thread. Fuck my life for not checking OT first.

Hello, how are you? I'm just going to leave that shit there though. No need to go full Bronson. (this is a test to see if that signal thing works)

It really works. I once mentioned him in GermanGAF and he suddenly appeared and accused us of talking about him on dutch *lol*

You think you can escape my network simply because you were speaking European?! My AI is LEARNING

since Who Quoted Me broke, I search my username sometimes, mostly for when Slayven acts a fool in BCT and I gotta drop him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom