• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

DeathyBoy

Banned
The first season was great but it all went downhill after.

And the movies can do Grodd justice, he is a jobber in the TV show. Not something you'd expect from one of Flash biggest villains.

I don't think one and done in a film is going to make him any less jobber like

kswiston

I think Transformers will review like... well the last few

After 4 films, you kind of know what to expect and can't see Bay changing it to make it much worse

Age of Extinction is 18% on RT and 32 on Metacritic. The Mummy is currently 17% on RT and 34 on Metacritic

As far as bottom barrel RT scores go, I'd watch out for the Emoji Movie.

I think that animation tends to be graded on a "eh, it's for 6 year olds" curve. It would take a truly awful animated film to score under 20%. The only recent one I can remember doing that is Ice Age 5 last year.

I've gone out of my way several times to watch movies with 0% on RT... I'm a broken man.

I think Ecks vs Sever is the most high-profile

I saw that movie at a free screening in college and they gave us passes to see another movie it was so fucking bad, haha.

I never understood what the deal with Ecks vs Sever was. They made two Game Boy Advance games based on it, I think one before and one after the movie. I won the first in a contest and it was a not very good FPS.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wait people are predicting 60+ for WW this weekend? Did something change? I thought over 50 was going to be close?

kswiston

Wait people are predicting 60+ for WW this weekend? Did something change? I thought over 50 was going to be close?

boxoffice.com, Deadline, Gitesh, etc have Wonder Woman at $51-54M based on Friday's estimate. The $60M stuff is mostly wishful thinking.

Timu

I mean listed on the site, personally I have seen some shit

4418American_Psycho_2.jpg

trancers2wrap.jpg
American Psycho 2 was a disaster!

The Spider-Man marketing during the NBA finals has been pretty awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdDFpmNmor4

I definitely think it's going to do much better than most expect.

I think that animation tends to be graded on a "eh, it's for 6 year olds" curve. It would take a truly awful animated film to score under 20%. The only recent one I can remember doing that is Ice Age 5 last year.
It's true, but I've seen a few critics who saw footage at CinemaCon say it was the worst thing shown.

boxoffice.com, Deadline, Gitesh, etc have Wonder Woman at $51-54M based on Friday's estimate. The $60M stuff is mostly wishful thinking.

I was just about to ask what the expected drop for WW was. I'm in the theater for it now, and it's pretty packed for a 2nd weekend.

pfff, you guys haven't even seen S. Darko. You can't shittalk about having seen bad movies if you didn't ever see a few.

But on the topic of marvel: you all forget Joss Whedon didn't really get along with the Ultron production either (and dear lord, it showed).

However, having seen a few comic pages of Carol Danvers basically just being a total dick, I kinda want to see that. Harsh in-jokes about Civil War and those other male tantrum movies referred to as the MCU would honestly be cathartic at this point. I want that trainwreck, alcoholism as character aside. It could work, just don't make it a straight superhero movie, more like Hancock (the Will Smith one). Or Super for that matter.

DeathyBoy

Banned
pfff, you guys haven't even seen S. Darko. You can't shittalk about having seen bad movies if you didn't ever see a few.

Nothing is worse than Feeding Grounds. Literally just a group of amateur actors staggering around a desert, characters picked off one by one off-screen by a blurry effect. That's the entire plot.

Easily the worst film ever made. And one I paid £15.99 for on DVD.

kswiston

How many of you are excited for next week's release of The Book of Henry, from visionary director Colin Trevorrow (a GAF favourite)?

kswiston

According to box office mojo, 47 Meters Down is releasing in 3,500 theaters. In case you don't know what that is, it's a horror film starring Mandy Moore who is trapped in a shark cage.

I have seen almost no marketing for the movie, so that wide a release is totally insane to me. The 3rd weekend theater drop could be enormous.

I saw that a few hours ago. Before that, I had never even heard of the film. I guess someone is hoping for a repeat of the Shallows last year.

FTF

According to box office mojo, 47 Meters Down is releasing in 3,500 theaters. In case you don't know what that is, it's a horror film starring Mandy Moore who is trapped in a shark cage.

I have seen almost no marketing for the movie, so that wide a release is totally insane to me. The 3rd weekend theater drop could be enormous.

0_o Based on the other movies coming out next weekend (and their theater count), and that it's only the second movie this studio has ever released, I have to assume that's a typo by bom.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I'm reminded that Mandy Moore played Mera in the fake version of Aquaman from Entourage. A decade ago Warners had Aquaman as the punchline for an HBO show. Now it's a huge budget feature film.

kswiston

0_o Based on the other movies coming out next weekend (and their theater count), and that it's only the second movie this studio has ever released, I have to assume that's a typo by bom.

Reading the wiki page from the film really brings up feelings of quality

Original distributor Dimension Films had initially set a North American DVD and VOD release date for August 2, 2016. However, on July 25, Variety reported that Dimension had sold the rights to Entertainment Studios. Entertainment Studios cancelled the August 2 home release and will instead release the film theatrically in the United States on June 16, 2017.

riotous

Banned
Yeah cheap direct to video release turned into theatrical because Mandy is in a new hit show.

Don't think that's going to work out how they planned.

One of the Box Office Theory insiders said that Spider-Man Homecoming presales are selling incredibly well.
Go Spidey!

I saw a trailer for that before Alien Covenant but that's it.

Litan

Saw the traiker before WW today. It was basically:
*Character talks*
*Character breathes heavily*
*Shark Jump-scare*
*Repeat*

Toa TAK

Banned

Saw a trailer before WW.

I couldn't take it seriously. Killer Shark movies of late can't do it for me, except The Shallows last year.

kswiston

Saw a trailer before WW.

I couldn't take it seriously. Killer Shark movies of late can't do it for me, except The Shallows last year.

The Shallows is pretty bad too outside of some nice scenery shots. People just are too busy looking at Blake Lively in a bikini to notice.

I remember laughing at the absurdity of the shark tearing that drunk guy in half and leaving his body on the beach. Apparently, this was the Hannibal Lecter of aquatic beasts.

Alienfan

According to box office mojo The Mummy has already made over 150 million, excluding the US weekend numbers, the Dark universe is safe

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
According to box office mojo The Mummy has already made over 150 million, excluding the US weekend numbers, the Dark universe is safe

I wouldn't call that safe yet by any means.

That said Cruise still seems to be carrying the film decently in international markets. Still word of mouth seems terrible so next weekend should be a huge drop

Litan

Sharks are almost an endangered species and hollywood still hellbent on making Killer Sharks movies.

Hard fucking pass.
Yeah, this was the thought that went through my head when the trailer came in.
Stop mis-characterizing sharks damnit!

kswiston

Overseas will prevent the Mummy from being a crater, but we're probably looking at $75M domestic. Maybe less. Not exactly a promising franchise start when the film was at the very least a $125M production.

Top Bottom