• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Ghibli-wise, I've watched Spirited Away (Great), Princess Mononoke (Great), Howl's Moving Castle (AMAZING), Princess Kaguya (fell asleep (sorry, I just could not get into it at all)).

Recommend me which I should watch next...

Only Yesterday is a beautiful film and definitely one of the best Ghibli films. It's more aimed at adults though. If you're watching with your daughter, I have never met a kid who doesn't like Totoro.

kswiston

Jaws is another classic example of the film overshadowing the book. The film is an all time classic, but from what I have heard of the Peter Benchley novel, it started as a decent at best thriller.

Only Yesterday is a beautiful film and definitely one of the best Ghibli films. It's more aimed at adults though. If you're watching with your daughter, I have never met a kid who doesn't like Totoro.

Roger Ebert was a huge fan of Totoro. His review for the film is pretty good: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-my-neighbor-totoro-1993

Snyder is one of the best visual directors in the entire world. Problem is, he's also very very poor at handling dialogue / narrative.

Best thing for DC wouldn't be to remove him but instead build a very strong team around him to help with his shortcomings and don't give him authority to just override anything. Now who knows if he would agree to something like that but if Snyder left the DCU I'd miss his visual flare.

Ghibli-wise, I've watched Spirited Away (Great), Princess Mononoke (Great), Howl's Moving Castle (AMAZING), Princess Kaguya (fell asleep (sorry, I just could not get into it at all)).

Recommend me which I should watch next...

I haven't seen the following Ghibli films yet: Princess Kaguya, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, Only Yesterday, My Neighbors the Yamadas, The Wind Rises, From Up on Poppy Hill, When Marnie was There, Ocean Waves, and Tales from Earthsea. Can't comment on any of those.

Damn y'all both really need to see Porco Rosso like right now. It's not even long but it's in my top 3 all time from Miyazaki.

Snyder is one of the best visual directors in the entire world. Problem is, he's also very very poor at handling dialogue / narrative.

Best thing for DC wouldn't be to remove him but instead build a very strong team around him to help with his shortcomings and don't give him authority to just override anything. Now who knows if he would agree to something like that but if Snyder left the DCU I'd miss his visual flare.

Ideally the Snyders to stay on as producers and overseers of the DCEU along with Johns and Berg. They're ultimately a boon for better storytellers, like Patty Jenkins, having the resources and space to accomplish great things. Who knows if Suicide Squad could've turned out half-decent if Ayer had people like that in his corner. But as far as directing goes, I don't see Zack directing another major DC movie. Maybe something smaller, probably something unrelated, and I think it'd be beneficial for all parties involved.

Ross61

My one real concern with Aquaman is the screenwriter, but honest at this point who knows what's up with that credit. Wonder Woman's screenplay credit was also confusing.
Someone at WB must see something in him, since he's was at one point going to be the JL writer before having to compete to be the Aquaman writer, being dismissed and brought back on when Johns became co-head.

Damn y'all both really need to see Porco Rosso like right now. It's not even long but it's in my top 3 all time from Miyazaki.
For me, it was one of those films that I liked but didn't really think much of in my first viewing. The more I thought about it afterwards, the more I liked it, so much so that it became one of my favourites.

3N16MA

Banned

I'm not sure he would stick around after that. Sounds like he would be getting a babysitter and have most of his control taken away.

Someone at WB must see something in him, since he's was at one point going to be the JL writer before having to compete to be the Aquaman writer, being dismissed and brought back on when Johns became co-head.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what they come up with. I'm into everything Wan has said about the movie. And I really like how Momoa's Aquaman is shaping up to be Jason Momoa playing himself.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what they come up with. I'm into everything Wan has said about the movie. And I really like how Momoa's Aquaman is shaping up to be Jason Momoa playing himself.
wu4s9tgvvazo8kyca0hv0tuky1.gif

kswiston

As expected, Wednesday saw huge drops for most films.

Wonder Woman - $2.08M (-49% from Tues)
Transformers 5 - $1.9M (-46%)
47 Meters Down - $740k (-16%)

47 Meters Down is totally going to have a fourth weekend bigger than the opening weekend. What a fun little run, and I wonder if this and The Shallows mean big thing for Meg next year.

In non-BO news, last night I noticed that The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was available on amazon. Now, as a big ole' nostalgia fan of the first two Brandon Frasier flicks, I decided to give this a go. It was fucking terrible. I was wrong to assume this year's Mummy was actually the worst ever.

I like how every Ghibli discussion ever is just someone going "Oh, but what about THIS one! This one is my favorite" and then everyone else going "oooooo I love that one too!" on repeat.

kswiston

Makes sense given Carol's background.

Wonder Woman ended up having the steepest Tues to Wed drop in the top 10

1) Despicable Me 3 - $8.0M (-37%)
2) Baby Driver - $2.7M (-38%)
3) Wonder Woman - $2.1M (-49%)
4) Transformers - $1.9M (-45%)
5) Cars 3 - $1.3M (-36%)

Week over Week, Wonder Woman managed a 25% drop (though I suspect that Wednesday is still inflated a bit).

Baby Driver is only down 52% from its opening day, and that is including the $2.1M in Tuesday previews rolled into last Wednesday. If we just look at Wednesday proper, that drop from opening night is only 25%. Pretty crazy for a new release. Bronson curses are bouncing off this film.

47 Meters down had the best Tues to Wed drop (-15%) and the best week over week drop (-19%) in the top 10.

I am curious to see how many venues it holds onto this weekend.

kswiston

The Big Sick expands to 326 venues this weekend. The Beguiled is bumped up to 941.

If you had an interest in seeing A Ghost Story this weekend, you better hope you are in (presumably) LA or NYC, since it's only hitting 4 venues. I have heard that the film comes out in Canada near the end of the month, so that probably coincides with a wider release.

47 Meters Down loses 510 theatres this weekend. Wonder Woman loses 313. Captain Underpants gets gutted, losing 72% of its venues (down to 407 from around 1450). Transformers loses 890 venues as well.

If you had an interest in seeing A Ghost Story this weekend, you better hope you are in (presumably) LA or NYC, since it's only hitting 4 venues. I have heard that the film comes out in Canada near the end of the month, so that probably coincides with a wider release.

Exactly four theaters in LA that I can find, and two of them stretch the definition of ""LA"" since they're North Hollywood and Claremont, respectively. Bleah...

El Topo

Despite similar opening weekends, Wonder Woman at least managed to thoroughly outgross the first Captain America movie in Germany. Suffice to say Baywatch still did twice as much though.

J_Viper

Despite similar opening weekends, Wonder Woman at least managed to thoroughly outgross the first Captain America movie in Germany. Suffice to say Baywatch still did twice as much though.

Huge disconnect between Critics and Germans! 💪💪🤙

A Ghost Story is hitting Cineplex on the 21st and the local independent theater on August 4th. Also screening at a film festival here on the 14th.

Looking forward to seeing the Spider-Man preview numbers. Are they usually a good indicator of the total weekend gross?

kswiston

Fandango reports that Spider-Man Homecoming presales are running ahead of Wonder Woman as of the Thursday morning before release.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/fandango-spider-man-homecoming-outpaces-wonder-woman-pre-sales/

Also from that link:

According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 “Spider-Man: Homecoming” moviegoers:

89% are more excited to see “Homecoming” because of Holland’s credibility as a high school character.
87% have seen multiple “Spider-Man” movies on the big screen.
86% are fans of Robert Downey, Jr.; 70% are fans of Michael Keaton.

Khansolo1

Fandango reports that Spider-Man Homecoming presales are running ahead of Wonder Woman as of the Thursday morning before release.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/fandango-spider-man-homecoming-outpaces-wonder-woman-pre-sales/

Also from that link:

According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 “Spider-Man: Homecoming” moviegoers:

89% are more excited to see “Homecoming” because of Holland’s credibility as a high school character.
87% have seen multiple “Spider-Man” movies on the big screen.
86% are fans of Robert Downey, Jr.; 70% are fans of Michael Keaton.
How are the pre-sales for this comparing with other Marvel movies?

‘Wonder Woman’: Female and Older Moviegoers Powered Box Office, New Study Shows

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/wonder-woman-study-box-office-1202488262/

“‘Wonder Woman’s’ audience evolved in a similar manner as most blockbusters but with some trends notably magnified,” noted Matthew Liebmann, Movio’s senior VP for the Americas. “While the female and 50+ segments of the audience generally grow over the course of the run, ‘Wonder Woman’s’ female audience nearly reached parity with the male audience by the third week.”

gamz

47 Meters Down is totally going to have a fourth weekend bigger than the opening weekend. What a fun little run, and I wonder if this and The Shallows mean big thing for Meg next year.

In non-BO news, last night I noticed that The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was available on amazon. Now, as a big ole' nostalgia fan of the first two Brandon Frasier flicks, I decided to give this a go. It was fucking terrible. I was wrong to assume this year's Mummy was actually the worst ever.

I had forgotten about Meg. I'm such a sucker for this shit that I'm looking forward to it.

Mrbob

Baby Driver was a cool movie. Glad BronsonLee didn't ruin it and now we might get a sequel.

Wonder if this is the weekend Wonder Woman will finally have a steeper drop with Spidey hitting theaters.

Top Bottom