• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Mrbob

Great first day for spidey. Wonder Woman might still have a decently held weekend.

Also, I know this is far off, but is Disney really going to release Avengers 4 and Star Wars Episode 9 in the same month? Both are set for May 2019 release currently. I was hoping for a 6 month gap between the two avengers movies and not a year. Aren't they being filmed back to back?

kswiston

For the new page

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Spider-Man Homecoming - $50.5M
2) Despicable Me 3 - $11.3M (-61%) - $127M total
3) Baby Driver - $3.9M (-36%) - $48M total
4) Wonder Woman - $2.9M (-33%) - $362M total
5) Transformers 5 - $1.8M (-63%) - $114M total
6) Cars 3 - $1.7M (-43%) - $130M total
7) The House - $1.5M (-55%) - $15M total
8) The Big Sick - $1.1M (+107%) - $4M total
9) 47 Meters Down - $850k (-38%) - $37M
10) The Beguiled - $660k (-38%) - $6M total

So basically anything that isn't a Superhero film is pretty much doomed at the box office...what a time to be alive...I guess

Huh? There's been plenty of successful films that aren't Superhero films this year.

Now, Superhero movies seem to be stronger / a safer bet than maybe they've ever been but this narrative its all comic book films or nothing thats popping up is false.

sense

Looks like Sony has two hits with baby driver and Spider-Man.

They also got

Jumanji- don't see this movie doing well but not sure how strong the brand is
Dark tower - could do well due to star cast, story and word of mouth
Emoji - could be an angry birds type surprise hit

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Baby Driver?
Boss Baby?
Star Wars?
Beauty and the Beast?
2 of those are Disney owned (and I was debating myself whether to put that into my post) and Baby Driver/Boss Baby, are not what I had in mind by blockbusters.

Huh? There's been plenty of successful films that aren't Superhero films this year.

Now, Superhero movies seem to be stronger / a safer bet than maybe they've ever been but this narrative its all comic book films or nothing thats popping up is false.

I meant in terms of original IP.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

They also got

Jeez, if I was Sony I wouldn't feel good about this lineup.

WaffleTaco

Zootopia wouldn't count?
I actually loved Zootopia, and am very happy it was so successful.

So they're just talking about this year?
Pretty much. What I am asking for is unrealistic, but it would be nice to have a good new blockbuster of a movie.

I'm kind of upset that we won't see a proper Planet of the Apes remake after this trilogy.
Why wouldn't we/it might be for the best?

I'm in Vegas for the weekend, so I won't be able to keep up with the thread as much as I liked, but great OD for Spider-Man.

Everyone who predicted $120-130M in the contest is in a good spot right now.

kswiston

My first midnight premiere might have been The Avengers.

I didn't go to the Star Wars or Harry Potter ones in the 00s, and my city didn't really offer them outside of mega-events until this decade.

I caught a lot of the early sneaks that would happen for some films before midnights/thursday previews were standard.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sub-40% drop for WW even in the face of Spider-Man.
rejoice.png

They also got

bzU4l1M.gif

At least they'll always have video games.

Lima

My favorite midnight premiere might have been Fifty Shades of Grey. I think there were 2 other dudes in a 800 seat theater. Crazy experience.

I'm in Vegas for the weekend, so I won't be able to keep up with the thread as much as I liked, but great OD for Spider-Man.

Everyone who predicted $120-130M in the contest is in a good spot right now.

My totally legitimate prediction is looking good!

My favorite midnight premiere might have been Fifty Shades of Grey. I think there were 2 other dudes in a 800 seat theater. Crazy experience.

Batmanthinking.webm

GhaleonEB

Pretty much. What I am asking for is unrealistic, but it would be nice to have a good new blockbuster of a movie.

You'd started out saying "anything that isn't a Superhero film is pretty much doomed at the box office" and I was going to post a lot of examples. 47 Meters Down is quietly having an amazing run, for instance. John Wick 2 did great. There are several others.

Modifying it to "blockbusters" narrows the field a lot. But this year we had Get Out, which made $175m in the US on a $4.5m budget, and Split with a $138m take on a $9m budget. (You can argue technicalities with that one, but I think it counts given the presentation.)

WaffleTaco

You'd stated out saying "anything that isn't a Superhero film is pretty much doomed at the box office" and I was going to post a lot of examples. 47 Meters Down is quietly having an amazing run, for instance. John Wick 2 did great. There are several others.

Modifying it to "blockbusters" narrows the field a lot. But this year we had Get Out, which made $175m in the US on a $4.5m budget, and Split with a $138m take on a $9m budget. (You can argue technicalities with that one, but I think it counts given the presentation.)

Yeah I probably should have stated what was on my list and what wasn't. Get Out is a good example, and Split is a decent one too. However, I have already admitted that my request is unrealistic at best and outlandish at worse.

And hey, audiences could watch Dark Tower twice in the amount of time it takes to watch any other movie at the multiplex once! Efficiency!
Im pretty excited for this film, McConaughey hasn't done anything good since True Detective.

Caode

My favourite was The Dark Knight Rises, although not exactly midnight. Warner Bros. cancelled all midnight screenings of the film both here and in the UK, as it had to open concurrently with the first screenings in the United States. So, the multiplex I go to came up with the 'Breakfast with Batman' solution for everyone who had bought tickets for, or was interested in, the midnight opening. Screenings would start at 5am on every screen they had, then when the film finished, their restaurant had cooked everyone a huge breakfast; sausage, bacon, eggs, mushrooms etc - a huge fry up to start the morning. A great, once off, cinema experience.

Lima

My favourite was The Dark Knight Rises, although not exactly midnight. Warner Bros. cancelled all midnight screenings of the film both here and in the UK, as it had to open concurrently with the first screenings in the United States. So, the multiplex I go to came up with the 'Breakfast with Batman' solution for everyone who had bought tickets for, or was interested in, the midnight opening. Screenings would start at 5am on every screen they had, then when the film finished, their restaurant had cooked everyone a huge breakfast; sausage, bacon, eggs, mushrooms etc - a huge fry up to start the morning. A great, once off, cinema experience.

Sounds awesome. When Rises came out I saw the Batman triple feature. Rises did start at 0:01am though here in Germany. Weird that they canceled your midnight screening.

Caode

Sounds awesome. When Rises came out I saw the Batman triple feature. Rises did start at 0:01am though here in Germany. Weird that they canceled your midnight screening.

A triple feature would've been great, I never did get to see Begins in the cinema.

Yeah, it was really strange at the time, but that's the only reason they gave. People had tickets booked months in advance, cancelled all midnight screenings about a month before it came out.

I did.

Only reason I watched it. I have no idea why the rest of you gave Shyamalan another chance without this bit of knowledge.

The amount of people who knew vs didn't was likely very small.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the majority of people who watched Split in theatres have probably never even seen Unbreakable. M. Night himself even talked about that

Top Bottom