• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

That type of counter programming can work though. Daddy's Home made $150m launching a week after Force Awakens.

It...doesn't look like counter programming to me. Kids get taken to Star Wars all of the time, and Jumanji seems to be aiming for the preteen crowd anyways. I think. I can't really tell who that film is intended for tbh.

EDIT: Whoops Daddy's Home isn't what I thought it was. You mean a comedy film not a children's film. I could see that working if future Jumanji trailers play up the comedy.

kunonabi

You forgot Hidden Figures

505-film-page-thumbnail.jpg

just saw hidden figures the other day. Such a great flick.

Ridley327

I don't Jumanji was ever going to bomb with The Rock and Kevin Hart in it.

Speaking of The Rock, guess Baywatch wasn't a mega bomb overall.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=baywatch.htm

Considering how bad the movie looks getting over 150 million worldwide seems like a miracle.

I think the budget was ~$66 million, so that would likely mean that $150 million is barely above water, especially with all the damn ads it had. I can't imagine anyone in accounting is thinking to themselves, "wow, this was a great idea in the end!"

El Topo

I think the budget was ~$66 million, so that would likely mean that $150 million is barely above water, especially with all the damn ads it had. I can't imagine anyone in accounting is thinking to themselves, "wow, this was a great idea in the end!"

So many ads over here in Germany. So. Many. Ads.

El Topo

The Hasselhoff thing isn't a myth?! Jesus, I know he had some hits over there as a singer, but I never thought anyone took that show seriously just because he was on it.

It's sort of true, but it's also vastly exaggerated in the US.

Hasselhoff was a global star in the 80s/90s. Both Knight Rider and Baywatch were enormous (worldwide) hits and he actually had a few hit songs back in the day. As for Germany, I'd argue that he was smart enough to capitalize on his initial popularity and cater to the market, e.g. by singing some songs in German. That said, he hasn't really been explicitly popular here for decades.

As for Baywatch, Germany is the biggest foreign market for the movie. I have been bombarded with commercials for the movie and they've done a lot of marketing/co-promotion for the movie over here. Baywatch and Alien Covenant are two movies that I will never watch, if only because I've seen their damn commercials hundreds of times.

Yes.

But Sony is all Spider-Man and Fox is X-Men + Revenge of the Sith. So neither of those are any more diverse.

You can probably take a guess at which studio has the most unrelated franchises/series with openings over the $100M mark.

Not saying either studio is particularly healthy, but at least both of those studios have the potential for more $100M+ openings in the future (and more if we include Avatar for Fox). Lionsgate's franchises are entirely in the past with little to no chance of having a new entry.

You forgot Hidden Figures

505-film-page-thumbnail.jpg

Technically, Hidden Figures opened for Oscar qualifying last year. Wide release was in January, though.

Will WW be able to outgross Guardians ww?

I don't think so, it's looking like it'll barely beat it domestically, and fall short internationally, I believe.

Lima

Spidey releasing Thursday here. Too bad it's not a real Marvel movie so we'd be getting it a week before the US.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
In retrospect, embracing the high school setting was a really smart move on Marvel's part.

Passing Suicide is locked, and $400M domestic is probably. The only milestone that Wonder Woman will miss is BvS' worldwide (and overseas) take.

You're a God among mice my friend!

If WW beats Spiderman 1s domestic take and takes top spot for all origin films I will learn how to do backflips just so I can do one.

Yep Sony and Marvel never seemed near as strained as Fox and Marvel. There seems no love lost there
Ike literally had all Marvel employees take down all FF or X-Men posters etc from their offices or they would be fired. Not even Feige could fix that relationship. He'd have an easier time getting a JL/Avengers movie rolling(he's even friends and former co-worker with Johns!).

Prompto

Banned
Ike literally had all Marvel employees take down all FF or X-Men posters etc from their offices or they would be fired. Not even Feige could fix that relationship. He'd have an easier time getting a JL/Avengers movie rolling(he's even friends and former co-worker with Johns!).
Feige used to work for Lauren Shuler Donner(Main X-Men Producer and wife of Richard Donner). Donner was the one who promoted him to be a producer in the first place. It was also how he got a job at Marvel. There's a relationship there.

Fox has no reason to be as desperate as Sony though really. It's looking like their R-rated Deadpool movie had a higher or about the same opening weekend as MCU Spider-Man

Cheebo

Banned
Never count out Kevin Feige. Call the man, Fox.
Sony needed Marvel and Feige. They were struggling and their Spidey film brand floundering.

Fox is making tons of money off their X-films and one of the few (only?) non-Disney studios with a very healthy successful shared universe film franchise.

Fox has nothing to gain by reaching out to Marvel. They are very happy where things are on their end.

Never count out Kevin Feige. Call the man, Fox.

To be fair, Fox has done fine with X-Men, for the most part. There's only really three notable duds in the history of the series: X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and more recently, X-Men: Apocalypse. All their other films have been critically and commercial successful to some degree. Logan just came out this year and it's already considered to be amongst the best comic book movies. And to be honest, I doubt Marvel Studios would of been willing to make Deadpool and Logan the way they are now if they had the X-Men film rights with them.

Now, Fantastic Four on the other hand? That shit needs to get taken out of Fox's talons immediately. They had three tries with the license and they've fucked it up every time. Pains me to know that we'll probably never see Dr. Doom in the MCU.

Feige used to work for Lauren Shuler Donner(Main X-Men Producer and wife of Richard Donner). Donner was the one who promoted him to be a producer in the first place. It was also how he got a job at Marvel. There's a relationship there.

Fox has no reason to be as desperate as Sony though really. It's looking like their R-rated Deadpool movie had a higher or about the same opening weekend as MCU Spider-Man

X-Men can realistically stay entirely in their own universe and it wouldn't be that big a deal. But Constantin/Fox has to make a Fantastic Four movie every 7 or so years, and they're about to enter the second reboot phase that Sony was staring at with Homecoming. With how badly they've damaged the brand by now, their best bet is to do something cheap and hope they actually hire the right people to actually make a good movie (which is why we've seen the ideas that are currently floating around, they can be done cheaper than attempting your typical superhero movie). They have nothing to lose from floating a F4 deal with Marvel, but I still don't see it happening.

Yeah, Fox is very comfortable where they're at. Only stumbling with Fantastic 4 of their comic properties, including non-Marvel ones. Although the next mainline X-Men is sketchy with Kinberg directing, it'll probably still end up doing decently.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got out. I liked it. Loved Tom Holland as Spidey. By far my favorite. I was entertained and all but not one of my favorite MCU movies. Give it a solid B- or B.

Top Bottom