• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Split counts. No one knew going into it that was part of the Unbreakable Universe

I had no interest in it until I learned that. I still need to watch it.
And the only way I have convinced my wife to watch it with me soon is because it is in the Unbreakable universe. She had zero interest in the film until she knew that.

jett

D-Member
The amount of people who knew vs didn't was likely very small.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the majority of people who watched Split in theatres have probably never even seen Unbreakable. M. Night himself even talked about that

But I'm not talking to average moviegoers that pick out movies at random, I'm talking to movie nerds that know that Shyamalan has been releasing putrid garbage for the last 10+ years.

But I'm not talking to average moviegoers that pick out movies at random, I'm talking to movie nerds that know that Shyamalan has been releasing putrid garbage for the last 10+ years.

My point has nothing to do with that.

I'm saying Split counts as a new IP for 2017 because your average person who walked into theatres to watch that movie had no idea it was related to Unbreakable and a large amount of them never even saw the original film anyways

Lima

A triple feature would've been great, I never did get to see Begins in the cinema.

Yeah, it was really strange at the time, but that's the only reason they gave. People had tickets booked months in advance, cancelled all midnight screenings about a month before it came out.

Really strange. Where are you located?

Dark Knight trilogy is just infinitely watchable for me. I remember my favorite theater experience was the Dark Knight All-Nighter they did in March 2014 at the BFI IMAX in London. I flew to London just to see that. It started a minute before midnight on Friday. Showed all three movies in 70mm. You could really tell how people were really into the experience and during the intermissions between movies people were arguing about their favorite of the trilogy.
Ran until like 8 in the morning.

My first midnight premiere was, you guessed it, Snakes on a Plane.

Same for me. Kinda hated how segments of the audience were waiting for and counting down to Sam Jackson saying his line. Probably because other than that and a snake biting a dude's wiener, there wasn't much to react to.

Caode

Really strange. Where are you located?

Dark Knight trilogy is just infinitely watchable for me. I remember my favorite theater experience was the Dark Knight All-Nighter they did in March 2014 at the BFI IMAX in London. I flew to London just to see that. It started a minute before midnight on Friday. Showed all three movies in 70mm. You could really tell how people were really into the experience and during the intermissions between movies people were arguing about their favorite of the trilogy.
Ran until like 8 in the morning.

Ireland.

That sounds great, what I wouldn't give to see those films again up on the big screen, and the latter two in proper IMAX. A friend and I had actually discussed flying to London just to see Interstellar in 70mm but the plans fell through at the time, one of these days I'd love to see a Nolan film in true 70mm IMAX but I can't see it happening any time soon. I think there's an IMAX in Dublin now though but not too sure on the specifics of it.

The visit is so underrated. Nobody talks about it at all

I still haven't seen it, even though I really enjoy M. Night (well his good stuff). I've heard Visit is actually one of his not terrible films. Is it pretty freaky / scary or more inline with Split where its a Thriller but not sure I'd classify it as true Horror

Lima

Ireland.

That sounds great, what I wouldn't give to see those films again up on the big screen, and the latter two in proper IMAX. A friend and I had actually discussed flying to London just to see Interstellar in 70mm but the plans fell through at the time, one of these days I'd love to see a Nolan film in true 70mm IMAX but I can't see it happening any time soon.

Yeah sadly IMAX outside of the US is something that has never really taken off.

Litan

I still haven't seen it, even though I really enjoy M. Night (well his good stuff). I've heard Visit is actually one of his not terrible films. Is it pretty freaky / scary or more inline with Split where its a Thriller but not sure I'd classify it as true Horror
The latter.

Caode

Yeah sadly IMAX outside of the US is something that has never really taken off.

There used to be more screens in the country, and across the border in Northern Ireland back in the day, but that was well before the days of films commonly incorporating IMAX, mostly documentary stuff that was shown - so they've all been removed. The only 'IMAX' screen in the country now is the one in Dublin, but it's digital IMAX.

It's a damn shame it isn't more prevalent outside of the US.

Bronx-Man

Banned
MV5BZTJiNGM2NjItNDRiYy00ZjY0LTgwNTItZDBmZGRlODQ4YThkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjY5ODI4NDk@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Hmm...
No one is putting Split in the same category as Wonder Woman or Spider-Man.

ZeoVGM

Banned
While Rothman's at the helm he's going to hellbent on going some internally produced 'wins on the board' with Venom and Silver/Black while counting down the hours until he can get Spider-Man, completely re-energised by Marvel themselves, back under his control.

Nah, not happening. They'll renegotiate with Marvel Studios for more after Homecoming 2.

Same for me. Kinda hated how segments of the audience were waiting for and counting down to Sam Jackson saying his line. Probably because other than that and a snake biting a dude's wiener, there wasn't much to react to.

My favorite part of the screening was when everyone kept throwing food and I had to break up a fight between two flops and then a super drunk guy got mad at our group for some reason and then his wife showed up and then he stumbled around for like five minutes and then went home

sense

Rothman will be lucky if Sony Pictures even still exists when Marvel's done with Spider-Man
Is there an explanation behind this assertion because I don't see Sony pictures going anywhere?

While I agree they will renegotiate with marvel, I think they will really push for the ability to get some sort of nod for the Sony spinoffs or the ability to use tom holland for cameos in them. I think some of you need to realize that Sony still has the ability to pull Spider-Man away from marvel after this 5 movie deal. Obviously, Sony would be crazy to not continue this deal as it really favors them.

Mrbob

I should probably watch the other Apes movies before I go see the third one, huh

I watched them for the first time back to back the previous weekend with some friends and we were legitimately shocked at how good the two movies are. Time to see War For the Planet Of The Apes in the theater. There is some legit story building and it looks like the second movie directly leads into the third.

The action sequences are extremely well done too. How can you resist (keeping this spoiler unless people have seen Rise and Dawn of Planet of Apes and don't want to be spoiled...if you don't care read ahead) watching
apes charging on horses firing machine guns. Not just a small amount either. A huge calvary charge.

Shauni

So, Wonder Woman probably won't pass Suicide Sqaud's WW box office?

Looks like Sony has two hits with baby driver and Spider-Man.

They also got

Jumanji- don't see this movie doing well but not sure how strong the brand is
Dark tower - could do well due to star cast, story and word of mouth
Emoji - could be an angry birds type surprise hit

How strong can a "brand" be of something that had a movie nearly 30 years ago, and then got a sequel that the vast majority of people don't even know it's actually a sequel to?

I'm kind of upset that we won't see a proper Planet of the Apes remake after this trilogy.

Why isn't it possible?

DeathyBoy

Banned
My favorite part of the screening was when everyone kept throwing food and I had to break up a fight between two flops and then a super drunk guy got mad at our group for some reason and then his wife showed up and then he stumbled around for like five minutes and then went home

Bronson summarising the film without mentioning any of the actors by name.

Learning what's at stake with Valerian has really made me interested in how it does at the box office.
Hope it works out.

What is at stake with Valerian?

Edit: should have read this page first before asking! So just the really high budget then, yeah its probably gonna bomb.

Nev

Banned
The Visit is my favorite Shyamalan movie hands down.

It's also the creepiest.

Probably because there are no ghosts, aliens or devils.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oh, I'm sure Valerian is going to be the top story in all the industry trades the week after it premieres.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Think it's got another 40 million in the tank? I dunno, but I hope so.

My dude, WW has another $30 mil in the tank just with the domestic gross alone. Beyond that, it doesn't need another $40 mil to surpass Suicide Squad. It's already around $735m.

Top Bottom