• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Slayven

Yasssszz

I don't even like his movies that often but that dude knows the market and knows how to make money.
I heard him talking on a radioshow about his business plan. Dude is self aware and all about putting his people on. He sent his buddy to business school and now dude works at Sony. He put Lil Rel(TSA Agent from Get Out) on too.
What does it say when they're making Sex and the City 3 but Entourage 1 barely happened.
I thought you were kidding, why????????

Schlorgan

It's easy to forget that Spider-Man 3 made bank.
It's easy to forget all three made bank.

The first is still the highest grossing origin movie worldwide at $820m and may never be topped.

Wonder Woman will probably be the first origin movie to beat it domestically (it's held that record for fifteen years).

Speaking of long standing records, I wonder if any solo movie can top The Dark Knight's domestic run. Gap from Iron Man 3 to The Dark Knight is around $125M.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Speaking of long standing records, I wonder if any solo movie can top The Dark Knight's domestic run. Gap from Iron Man 3 to The Dark Knight is around $125M.

I can't see any team-up movie topping $533m at the box office anytime soon much less a solo.

kswiston

I can't see any team-up movie topping $533m at the box office anytime soon much less a solo.

Just wait until Marvel busts out a solo film for the hero that America deserves

latest

kswiston

Rth is saying $37M for Spider-Man Homecoming on Saturday, which would basically be flat over Friday without previews.

If that holds up, the weekend total would probably be in the neighborhood of $117M.

Shauni

So, is Homecoming like legit great, or is like Marvel great where everyone loses their shit for the movie for awhile, and then you watch it, and you're like this is pretty decent but not really that great and everyone is like, yeah, it wasn't that great like I originally said but it's still pretty good, though, right, and you're like, yeah, it is pretty decent? Is it actually worth a theater watch?

It's easy to forget all three made bank.

The first is still the highest grossing origin movie worldwide at $820m and may never be topped.

Wonder Woman will probably be the first origin movie to beat it domestically (it's held that record for fifteen years).
I doubt Woder Woman can end with 404+ million.

So, is Homecoming like legit great, or is like Marvel great where everyone loses their shit for the movie for awhile, and then you watch it, and you're like this is pretty decent but not really that great and everyone is like, yeah, it wasn't that great like I originally said but it's still pretty good, though, right, and you're like, yeah, it is pretty decent? Is it actually worth a theater watch?

You have already decided the answer to this question.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The latter.

If I had, I wouldn't have asked.

You think it's going to be okay. You wouldn't have gone through typing all that if you didn't think it was going to be okay. The question is whether anyone can convince you otherwise, which I kinda doubt, since you've already decided that everyone is going to say it's great even though it's just okay.

I can't believe a Marvel film and Spiderman reboot with RDJ on the ticket only pulled 12m more opening than Wonder Woman (which was arguably weighed down by the DC stigma And the female superhero stigma).

Pretty happy Spidey opened well and even happier the showing that WW is having.

Shauni

You think it's going to be okay. You wouldn't have gone through typing all that if you didn't think it was going to be okay. The question is whether anyone can convince you otherwise, which I kinda doubt, since you've already decided that everyone is going to say it's great even though it's just okay.

Boy, those Marvel shields come up quick lol.

The latter.

Cool, thanks for the actual answer.

No it's shit, don't see it, go watch something good and support true cinema by watching, uh..

One sec

*ruffles through local listings for indie movie theaters in Philadelpha*

...Beatriz at Dinner!

Boke1879

It's a good movie. It's fun, but I will say I have no desire to watch it again. I'm probably more excited to see where they go in the sequel.

jayhawker

It's a good movie. It's fun, but I will say I have no desire to watch it again. I'm probably more excited to see where they go in the sequel.

For me, definitely a decent movie that's being overhyped. But I liked Thor 2 before it was a gaf meme, so what do I know.

kswiston

This is now our longest Box Office thread since BvS's first weekend. It's also the fifth biggest thread in the 10 years that xaosslug has been making them.

I know the folly of over-predicting Marvel movies, but returning Avengers + Guardians + Spider-Man/Black Panther/Doctor Strange/Ant-Man, and the possibility of RDJ's last outing as Iron Man? Surely that has to top it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I know the folly of over-predicting Marvel movies, but returning Avengers + Guardians + Spider-Man/Black Panther/Doctor Strange/Ant-Man, and the possibility of RDJ's last outing as Iron Man? Surely that has to top it.

I can see Infinity War's opening weekend topping $200m but the final gross still being sub-$500m. I think it's going to be front loaded as fuck.

I can't believe a Marvel film and Spiderman reboot with RDJ on the ticket only pulled 12m more opening than Wonder Woman (which was arguably weighed down by the DC stigma And the female superhero stigma).

Pretty happy Spidey opened well and even happier the showing that WW is having.

Spider-Man is weighed down by a similar Spider-Man stigma. It's a solid opening given how down the series was since Spider-Man 3. Amazing's opening weekend was $62 million. Amazing 2 was $91 million. Homecoming is above everything Spider-Man except 3.

You can look at estimates and Spider-Man was pretty much where everyone expected. Even our average here was $118 million.

Doesn't change Wonder Woman having them Deadpool-style legs, but yeah, Spider-Man is in line with what we all thought. No surprises there.

It'll BvS out, even being good. Big, big opening week/weekend, and then petering off from there. Unless it's AMAZING.

If Infinity War opens somewhere around the first two Avengers movies and actually has good legs, it will beat that. The thing is that each of the May releases since the first Avengers hasn't had that great of legs, and I'm not sure whether I think that's the quality movies or the release date. Basically, even if it opens at Avengers 1 level and gets the best legs they've had in the first weekend of May slot since then (GOTG Vol. 2), I believe that doesn't get it there.

Is Keaton as great as I imagine him to be?

He is. He reminds me of Michael Shannon as Zod in Man of Steel. An actor going all in to elevate a so-so written character.

I'm sensing a pattern. Michael Fassbender is great as Magneto. Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin was the best part of that 2003 Daredevil. Michael B Jordan is looking dope as Killmonger. You got Michael McElhatton rumored to play Darkseid and Michael Mando is coming up. Gotta find more Michaels to play comic book villains.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
These are my thoughts almost exactly. Holland was fantastic but the movie isn't very memorable IMO plus I've had about enough of RDJ as Iron Man. Time for some new blood.

Marvel hiring is undefeated at this point. Even their bad hires turn out fine.

Eh I'd argue that Alan Taylor ended up being a pointless choice. I was excited at first because I liked his episodes of Game of Thrones, but then he brought nothing at all to the table in 2 Dark 2 Worldious and barely even participated in post-production.

But I don't think it's a coincidence that every director since Taylor either already made a sequel or has one in the pipeline. They did a good job and Feige's bringing them all back to continue the story.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yes and yes. Worth a theater watch for sure.

Top Bottom