• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0825-2717 - Guys & doll cut dancer off at knees, Hawkeye & Wanda team up meh

Uh, so remember Suburbicon?
It's getting pretty mixed reviews coming in from Venice so far. It might not make it to $45 million.

Clooney really has the worst luck as a director. Too bad, I think his films are interesting even when they miss the mark.

Is anyone still on the Justice League < BvS (domestically) bandwagon, or has Wonder Woman rekindled hope?

I'm still hesitant.
With slightly better reviews than BvS, yeah, I could see a nice bump. With similar or worse reviews, a lot of people who gave BvS the benefit of the doubt will not show up again. Still, if I had to put money on it right now I'd say it's gonna outgross it. But when that review embargo drops, oh boy.

snap

Banned
Clooney really has the worst luck as a director. Too bad, I think his films are interesting even when they miss the mark.

I'm still hesitant.
With slightly better reviews than BvS, yeah, I could see a nice bump. With similar or worse reviews, a lot of people who gave BvS the benefit of the doubt will not show up again. Still, if I had to put money on it right now I'd say it's gonna outgross it. But when that review embargo drops, oh boy.

BvS has an RT of 27%, even if it got worse reviews it'll only be seen as being as bad as BvS.

kswiston

I'm more hyped for the review thread than I am the actual movie

Either way, it's going to be spectacular

I am hoping for a decent movie. It would be nice to end the 2017 superhero year on a high note, where the quality ranges from above average to great across the board.

I'm not really sure what we would consider average in the superhero space, given how hyperbolic online communities are. Maybe Amazing Spider-Man or Man of Steel?

I'm more hyped for the review thread than I am the actual movie

Either way, it's going to be spectacular

Lol, I feel like I'm the only person around here not looking forward to it. My fanboy heart is too weak. I think my contribution to the BvS thread was "well, that's too bad" and then I noped out of there fast.

I'm not really sure what we would consider average in the superhero space, given how hyperbolic online communities are. Maybe Amazing Spider-Man or Man of Steel?

First Avenger?
Amazing 1, yeah, I think it would qualify.

My expectation for Justice League is in the X-Men Apocalypse to Age of Ultron range, in terms of reception. I think for most that'll be seen as good, since they're not sequels to DoFP and Avengers 1. But for me, as someone who really likes BvS for a number of reasons most don't, I feel like it'll be disappointingly safe and vanilla. Then again I had the same concern about Wonder Woman and ended up loving that so maybe I shouldn't read too deep into marketing. Same story with Spider-Man Homecoming.

As for box office, I don't know. My immediate reaction is negligible difference from BvS. Perhaps lower domestic but larger international.

kswiston

Dunkirk made about $12M on Saturday in China. its opening weekend should crack $30M. If not, it will be very close.

Baby Driver fell 96% in its second Friday in China. The weekend drop will probably be similar.

Valerian is down well over 80% as well, but it should hit $60M total there, which is pretty good.

Wolf Warrior 2 is now at $845M in China. $850M should happen in the next few days.

Presales for Spider-Man Homecoming in China are pretty good so far. It should easily clear $100M. It's too early to project further than that, but something closer to $150M isn't out of the cards based on the info we currently have. Of course, things can change pretty fast in the Chinese box office.

firelogic

With the lighter tone, assembly of the League members, Wonder Woman front and center in marketing and likely the movie too, extra humour by way of Flash and Aquaman, Whedon's name on it (it'll do a lot more good than bad), Superman's grand/epic and emotional return in the context of the movie, and a 70% or higher RT and we've got ourselves a domestic and international take that will exceed BvS.

kswiston

61% is a massive improvement over 27%

So yea that will definitely be the narrative

The way RT works, 27% to 61% is basically another half star or so on average. So like a 2.5/5 average review to a 3/5 average review.

It seems impressive on the surface though.

J_Viper

The fucked up part is if JL does well, WB has nothing to capitalize on its success until December of NEXT year

And to think, Affleck's Batman could've been ready by summer.

You're not allowed back in the DC Extended Universe OT

OH I'LL GO

YOU JUST WATCH ME GO

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The way RT works, 27% to 61% is basically another half star or so on average. So like a 2.5/5 average review to a 3/5 average review.

Considering how 5 star rating in film reviews work that's a pretty substantial difference, Unless your actually using a 2 s.f rating in 5 star scale (which is nonsense being real now) that 2.5 would most likely be a 2 than than a 2.5. There's a world of difference between a 2 and a 3 star rating.

I think JL will hit a billion. Wonder Woman's given them momentum and JL just has to be passable to be better received than BvS.

Yeah. Most see the percentages and think it's the rating. OT's two favorite movies, Thor 2 and Man of Steel, have the same average (or higher for MoS, depending) but the former has the higher RT percentage. So it'd benefit JL to be mediocre rather than a love/hate divisive movie. It'll assuredly be the lowest average and percentage of this year for comic movies, including Kingsman 2, but that's not necessarily a negative when the current low is like 80% last I checked, with the rest north of 90%.

kswiston

Considering how 5 star rating in film reviews work that's a pretty substantial difference, Unless your actually using a 2 s.f rating in 5 star scale (which is nonsense being real now) that 2.5 would most likely be a 2 than than a 2.5. There's a world of difference between a 2 and a 3 star rating.

I might be a bit dense here, but are you saying that critics using a 4 or 5 star system (essentially an 8 or 10 point system) view a 2.5/5 as more similar to a 2/5 than they do a 3/5 when personally assigning a grade?

Not sure what 2 s.f rating means.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Logan Lucky was hilarious.

Saw it in a nearly empty theatre. :(

Logan Lucky was hilarious.

Saw it in a nearly empty theatre. :(

Probably my favorite adam driver performance. The three Logan siblings were great, Daniel Craig and his two moron brothers were hilarious as well

That riley keough girl prolly got the strongest career of any actress in the last few years. She's been smart with her choices (and damn she was fine as hell in this)

Probably my favorite adam driver performance. The three Logan siblings were great, Daniel Craig and his two moron brothers were hilarious as well

That riley keough girl prolly got the strongest career of any actress in the last few years. She's been smart with her choices (and damn she was fine as hell in this)

Yeah. She's good in American Honey and the best of Immortan Joe's wives.

kswiston

Her mom is worth over $300M, so she probably didn't have to worry about paying the bills at the start of her career.

Becoming one of Steven Soderbergh's newer favourites doesn't hurt either.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't know Tulip Fever existed until I saw that it was playing at the theater today. I guess the Weinstein Company sat on it for 3 years, which I'm sure is a good sign...

Hero

Dunkirk made about $12M on Saturday in China. its opening weekend should crack $30M. If not, it will be very close.

Baby Driver fell 96% in its second Friday in China. The weekend drop will probably be similar.

Valerian is down well over 80% as well, but it should hit $60M total there, which is pretty good.

Wolf Warrior 2 is now at $845M in China. $850M should happen in the next few days.

Presales for Spider-Man Homecoming in China are pretty good so far. It should easily clear $100M. It's too early to project further than that, but something closer to $150M isn't out of the cards based on the info we currently have. Of course, things can change pretty fast in the Chinese box office.

If Spider-Man Homecoming does 150M then I'll win that bet about it being able to outdo BvS.

Her mom is worth over $300M, so she probably didn't have to worry about paying the bills at the start of her career.

Becoming one of Steven Soderbergh's newer favourites doesn't hurt either.

She's related to Elvis Presley, right? Never underestimate how being legacy famous can help your career, good actress or not.

Edit: Which reminds me that Julia Louis-Dreyfuss might be the richest actress in Hollywood, technically.

kswiston

She's related to Elvis Presley, right? Never underestimate how being legacy famous can help your career, good actress or not.

She is Lisa Marie's oldest kid. So one of Elvis' four grandkids.

Between that and having Michael Jackson as your stepdad briefly, you probably meet a few people in the entertainment industry.

She is Lisa Marie's oldest kid. So one of Elvis' four grandkids.

Between that and having Michael Jackson as your stepdad briefly, you probably meet a few people in the entertainment industry.

And that would make her pre-MJ and pre-Nic Cage for Lisa Marie, I think, which doesn't really mean anything but I'm trying to put this timeline together in my head.

Edit: Yeah, sometimes the hardest part even for talented actors is just getting those meetings, and getting in that room with industry tastemakers, and having connections like that most certainly helps with that.

DJChuy

Saw Ingrid Goes West today, and it was great. The Alamo Drafthouse is the only one screening it, and sadly, they don't take Moviepass yet.

Speaking of Moviepass, I've been using mine everyday and purchasing Spider-Man tickets to rack up those Regal points. Maybe I should buy Logan Lucky tickets and help increase its numbers.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I might be a bit dense here, but are you saying that critics using a 4 or 5 star system (essentially an 8 or 10 point system) view a 2.5/5 as more similar to a 2/5 than they do a 3/5 when personally assigning a grade?

Not sure what 2 s.f rating means.

S.f is Significant figures. And on the second part basically though I'm not assumming it comes down to exactly that number but in that ball park if your honestly using a 5 point scale. For a rating that degree below a 3 I think is more likely to rounded all the way down than up. I mean fresh a rotten is only two parameters sure that could be a 2.5 could be a 3 but it isn't that's why it has such a large number of rotten scores rotten so i think it's more likely to be rounded down that up (that and personal pet peeve of people trying to squash a 10 point scale into what is clearly meant to be a 5 point scale to add granularity to 5 stars which defeats the purpose),.

Penguin

I think JL will hit a billion. Wonder Woman's given them momentum and JL just has to be passable to be better received than BvS.

The Wonder Woman factor intrigues me

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, would be the first time that a character has appeared in 2 movies in the same year in a major capacity

Are people ready for more WW already or did they get their full just months earlier

The Wonder Woman factor intrigues me

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, would be the first time that a character has appeared in 2 movies in the same year in a major capacity

Are people ready for more WW already or did they get their full just months earlier

Does Neo count?

If following Matrix path, does that mean JL will be better than Wonder Woman then?
I am one of the weirdos that found Revolutions better than Reloaded.

I remember being excited for Reloaded and seeing it opening night. I bought Enter the Matrix and everything.

I remember seeing Revolutions years later on a hotel TV.

I remember being excited for Reloaded and seeing it opening night. I bought Enter the Matrix and everything.

I remember seeing Revolutions years later on a hotel TV.

Saw Reloaded in theaters, bought Enter the Matrix (and still have it) and Animatrix, and I can't remember if I saw Revolutions in theaters.

Penguin

I still have never seen Reloaded or Revolutions. The original Matrix did nothing for me.

Oh thank heavens

Always thought was taking crazy pills for not loving it

Just revisited this past week (all 3 are on Netflix) and it just seems odd and of its time with the whole hacker angle.

It doesn't help that most every action movie (and some video games) aped its main hook

Penguin

I was more of an Equilibrium guy.

Ha remember first week of freshman year in college, some dude is like you need to see Equilibrium, it's like the Matrix but so much better

I did end up being friends with the dude

And it exposed me to Bale which made him being cast as Batman much more exciting

Top Bottom