• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0825-2717 - Guys & doll cut dancer off at knees, Hawkeye & Wanda team up meh

berzeli

Banned
Uh, so remember Suburbicon?
It's getting pretty mixed reviews coming in from Venice so far. It might not make it to $45 million.

So that is two down, and only mother! left from Venice. Here's my hot take on Paramount's future:

Downsizing reviewed well (90% RT), but I don't feel there is enough to go on yet to guess how it will play with audiences. The concept of the film is fairly out there, don't see it repeating something like Arrival's success.
Suburbicon, it could underperform with mixed reviews, but it still has a target audience. $45 million would be fine, under $30 million is probably failure territory.
mother! is a bit hamstrung since It is releasing the week before, potentially eating into mother!'s audience. Something not alleviated by what seems to be a poor marketing effort so far. Don't think it will break out, which it needs in order to save Paramount.
Daddy's Home 2 - It's probably going to be around Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising ($54 million) to Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 ($71 million) which is not enough.

So yeah, the worst year for Paramount in the 2000s is probably happening.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) The Hitman's Bodyguard - $2.4M (-23%) - $48M total
2) Annabelle Creation - $1.8M (-28%) - $84M total
3) Wind River - $1.5M (+4%) - $14M total
4) Leap! - $1.1M (-34%) - $8M total
5) Logan Lucky - $1.1M (-22%) - $18M total
6) Dunkirk - $930k (-22%) - $176M total
7) Spider-Man Homecoming - $800k (-1%) - $321M total
8) Girls Trip - $585k (-26%) - $109M total
9) The Emoji Movie - $485M (-22%) - $78M total
10) Close Encounters - $470k

So, I'm planning on using MoviePass for the first time this weekend and I'm trying to decide between Baby Driver, Wind River, or Logan L0ucky. Leaning towards Baby Driver since the other two should be in theaters for a little longer, giving me a chance to see them later.

For some odd reason I didn't feel like it. I think it was my anxiety kicking in to be honest.

But I am happy to have shared some of my coin with papa Feige.

Except Feige isn't involved in this at all. You just gave your money to Ike "personal friend of Trump" Perlmutter.

firelogic

Gitesh has it at passing both this weekend but it'll be tighter with Iron Man 3, within a hair's breadth if it doesn't get there this weekend.

Oh right, I forgot it's a long weekend. Not too shabby, still pulling over a million this far into its run.

Is anyone still on the Justice League < BvS bandwagon, or has Wonder Woman rekindled hope?

Worldwide of domestic? I am thinking it will land somewhere really damn close on both fronts unless it is an absolute turd.

And still trying to think of how to punish DeathyBoy when JL fails to make as much as Avengers.

FTF

Ok, looking into some tracking #s and the theater count, IT is going to be bigger than I thought. Upping my ow prediction to $76m.

I still think NFL hurts its Sun drop though.

I can still see Justice League coming under BvS if the film is as much of a mess as its production.

Also, don't think it's been mentioned that Spider-Man: Homecoming will be within 200k of passing Suicide Squad after the long weekend.

kswiston

Also, don't think it's been mentioned that Spider-Man: Homecoming will be within 200k of passing Suicide Squad after the long weekend.

Homecoming is still looking good for $330M. Suicide Squad made another $4M after its 9th weekend of $1.9M. Homecoming should make close to $3M this weekend, plus whatever Monday brings in. Next weekend's drop will probably be steep (coming off a holiday, and having IT open), but there's not a ton for families (or teens who can't get into R-rated films) out there until Ninjago.

Hmmm. An Inhumans avatar does sound good. Thank you for the suggestion. I still have months to plot.

7OTPuDv.png

snap

Banned
I'm sticking with my previous prediction.

really? that actually surprises me, the last time i saw it was relatively recently and in a post-transformers 4 light i started to wonder if that whole sequence was there to get chinese approval

IT:87M

audiences are THIRSTY and this will be the first movie moviepass people can go to (all three of them who have their cards already)

i'm one of those three

yeb1kVr.gif

kswiston

Firmly in the camp of Justice League > Wonder Woman as far as the box office goes.

I am definitely in that camp worldwide.

I am leaning that way domestically, but if reviews are terrible again, I'd expect something closer to BvS. Maybe $350M.

In theater now for Close Encounters. Had to drive an hour to get here, and it's RPX. First time seeing something in this kinda auditorium. Should be good for $19 a ticket.

Hmm, it's been a while since I've done this, but there's nothing to compete with really and WOM is positive, so...

85 million OW for IT, just to be above Bronson.

It's hard to estimate what would be realistic for a horror movie in today's America though. #COTUS

Top Bottom