• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, in the previous thread I sided with the bet that Independence Day 2 would do the same weekend numbers as Suicide Squad. Having seen one of the two, and despite still thinking that SS will be a relative flop compared to other comic book movies, I regret everything about wanting ID2 to do well.

Thankfully that Cameron interview was lovely.

lawd these reviews about this creatively dismal big budget snorefest

This summer movie season has been...almost unbelievably bad. Just a parade of giant misfires. Even Pixar's sequel hasn't inspired much passion in me, like they were 7/10 at best. But in a summer with junk like Alice, X-Men, Resurgence, Tarzan, Warcraft, TMNT2 hogging up cinema screens, even just being merely "good" feels like a minor miracle.

And we still got Toy Story with dogs that looks like one joke expanded to 90 minutes, another fuckin' Ice Age movie in the year 2016, Ben-Hur, a Ghostbusters rehash, whatever this Pete's Dragon shit is, more lazily constructed comedies seemingly every other week...

indydrunk.gif

Christ I hope Jason Bourne is very good. I'd like at least ONE of these so-called blockbusters to be something dope I can return to in the future.

kswiston

TS3's second Tuesday was down from Monday. Dory went up $4M?

Cheap Tuesdays seem massive in recent months. Now you see me 2 went up 53%. The Shallows had the worst increase in the top 10 and even that was 28%.

Tuesday Numbers

Finding Dory - $14.7M - $311M
Independence Day Resurgence- $5.1M - $50M total
Central Intelligence - $3.3M - $75M total
The Shallows - $3.0M - $22M total

kswiston

Dory is already ahead of Civil War after 12 days. Civil War's second Tuesday was $5.9M. Dory was almost $9M higher. Actually, Dory made more on its second Tuesday than Civil War did on its first.

Dory's second Tuesday was the third biggest of all time behind The Force Awakens and Avatar.

BumRush

Dory is already ahead of Civil War after 12 days. Civil War's second Tuesday was $5.9M. Dory was almost $9M higher. Actually, Dory made more on its second Tuesday than Civil War did on its first.

Dory's second Tuesday was the third biggest of all time behind The Force Awakens and Avatar.

Summer legs - especially for a movie geared at kids - are going to be MASSIVE. $525M possible??

kswiston

Boxoffice.com is predicting the following 4day July 4th Weekend takes:

1) Finding Dory - $50M
2) The Purge: Election Year - $30M
3) Independence Day Resurgence - $22M
4) The Legend of Tarzan - $21.5M
5) The BFG - $19.5M

Good for The Purge if in the right ballpark. Bombs away for the other two openers.

MIMIC

Banned
Is it me, or does it seem like there could be some audience fatigue with Tarzan coming out on the heels of The Jungle Book. The two seem pretty similar and The Jungle Book might have already snatched up Tarzan's potential.

Branduil

I don't care if that's what the book was called, BFG is a really terrible title for a movie. Especially since that acronym has a much more common meaning on the internet.

jett

D-Member
Boxoffice.com is predicting the following 4day July 4th Weekend takes:

1) Finding Dory - $50M
2) The Purge: Election Year - $30M
3) Independence Day Resurgence - $22M
4) The Legend of Tarzan - $21.5M
5) The BFG - $19.5M

Good for The Purge if in the right ballpark. Bombs away for the other two openers.

Tarzan not even 20 for the three days weekend.

BFG bombing even harder is something though. China likes weird-looking shit, maybe they will save it!

kswiston

Is it me, or does it seem like there could be some audience fatigue with Tarzan coming out on the heels of The Jungle Book. The two seem pretty similar and The Jungle Book might have already snatched up Tarzan's potential.

Tarzan looks like a shitty movie from every trailer I have seen, and the 44 on Metacritic/28% on RT doesn't do much to dissuade that notion. There's no great love of Tarzan to counterbalance that in the minds of moviegoers.

The Disney film did well almost 2 decades ago, but at the time, every feature from Disney was doing well.

Is Disney making their own Tarzan movie? The ads for this one have been terrible. Of course this is coming from someone that loved the Disney interpretation.

kswiston

Tarzan not even 20 for the three days weekend.

BFG bombing even harder is something though. China likes weird-looking shit, maybe they will save it!

BFG is not on the schedule yet. I am not sure if it will be one of the quota films in China, given how many films Disney has already had out this year there (Star Wars, Zootopia, The Jungle Book, Civil War, Alice, and Finding Dory). China only allows 34 revenue sharing import films (mostly from hollywood) a year. Disney can't have them all. I assume that Doc Strange and Moana will be taking up two more spots, so that's already 8 from Disney.

Speaking of which, WB is wasting one of those 34 spots on Tarzan, as they did with Pan and Jupiter Ascending last year.

I believe pretty much everyone has caught on to Hollywood's current game plan and it's starting to catch up to them.

Maybe it's time for a period of back-to-basics, grounded dramas with serious tones and mature themes. Sort've like many 70s movies.

I love The Lost World right up to the point where the girl did gymnastics to fight a dinosaur.

Yeah, that's when I mentally checked out of that movie. It could not recover from that bullshit scene. So, so awful.

kswiston

Maybe it's time for a period of back-to-basics, grounded dramas with serious tones and mature themes. Sort've like many 70s movies.

They still make tons of those. However, almost all of them crowd up the October to January (with limited release in December!) schedule in hopes of being noticed by awards committees.

I do wish Hollywood would start to spread their shit out more. Before The Free State of Jones, when is the last time we had a wide release for adults (IE not counting R-rated films aimed squarely at 17-22 year olds in high school/college)? The Good Guys?

Right now we have to wait a month or more between releases, but come November they will be cramming 1 to 3 of them in every weekend.

EDIT: The inverse is true with bigger budget action films. If you wanted to scratch that itch between Deadpool and BvS (5-6 weeks later) your choices were the winning trio of Gods of Egypt, London has Fallen, and Divergent 3.

Busty

Banned
BFG is not on the schedule yet. I am not sure if it will be one of the quota films in China, given how many films Disney has already had out this year there (Star Wars, Zootopia, The Jungle Book, Civil War, Alice, and Finding Dory). China only allows 34 revenue sharing import films (mostly from hollywood) a year. Disney can't have them all. I assume that Doc Strange and Moana will be taking up two more spots, so that's already 8 from Disney.

Speaking of which, WB is wasting one of those 34 spots on Tarzan, as they did with Pan and Jupiter Ascending last year.

It makes more sense for Warners to release something, anything, in that slot rather than leave it 'empty' and risk having one less release slot for the following year.

I know that the long term aim is to grow their Chinese venture Flagship so that it can try and release more of its films outside of the annual 34 cap by classing them as co-pros.

But that's still some way off from coming to fruition.

Besides..., I suspect that WB are hoping that China can help 'save' Tarzan just like it 'saved' Pacific Rim.

How the hell Central Intelligence has 66% RT? It's one of the worst movies I've seen in few years. I laughed zero times. I smiled few times because it made me feel uncomfortable in a bad way.

And I saw even worse movie today. It's coming out soon. Embargo until next Wednesday. What a Summer. :)

Finaj

How the hell Central Intelligence has 66% RT? It's one of the worst movies I've seen in few years. I laughed zero times. I smiled few times because it made me feel uncomfortable in a bad way.

And I saw even worse movie today. It's coming out soon. Embargo until next Wednesday. What a Summer. :)

Is it a big/significant movie?

kswiston

It makes more sense for Warners to release something, anything, in that slot rather than leave it 'empty' and risk having one less release slot for the following year.

I know that the long term aim is to grow their Chinese venture Flagship so that it can try and release more of its films outside of the annual 34 cap by classing them as co-pros.

But that's still some way off from coming to fruition.

Besides..., I suspect that WB are hoping that China can help 'save' Tarzan just like it 'saved' Pacific Rim.

Even if it wasn't possible to get a cut of Mad Max past censorship (I'm not sure that they even tried), WB could have released Creed or even The Man From U.N.C.L.E. in China if they needed to hold onto their slots.

I suppose that your point about them hoping that China would salvage the overseas run of some of these films has some merit though, even if Pan managed to gross all of $5M or so in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom