• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beard

It is interesting to see a lot of big budget movies either flop or under-perform. Does anyone have a good sense of why that is?
Is it that there are too many blockbuster movies made now which need massive popularity to break even?
Is the fear of people settling to watch most movies at home rather than going to the theater playing out?
Is this year's poor performance just about the individual films more than any significant trends?

Maybe it's because there are a lot of shitty movies and access to sites like Rotten Tomatoes has become easier than ever.

I liked his take on sequels vs original films. He's worked on sequels to other people work(Aliens), sequels to his own work(Terminator 2), adaptations of French films(True Lies), remakes of Fern Gully(Avatar), and original films like The Abyss. But ultimately, there's a personal stamp Cameron has on all these films, in their themes, or composition/editing rhythms, or the type of characters that inhabit the universes.

Which is really core to the problem of The Force Awakens, that JJ Abrams has no discernible personality and his Star Wars film is about nothing, but that's for another thread.

Really? I've never seen Jurassic Park II and III.

They're not good lol

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Most of the way through, and it's a great interview, despite the interviewer clearly being new to conducting them (every question is from a card, rather than flowing from what Cameron is saying). His comments about shot length are spot on, and there's a great insight into how he reviews his action edits: by flopping the image horizontally and making sure the action can still be followed, to ensure he hasn't just memorized the flow.

"What failures have you learned from?"

"I'll let you know as soon as I have one."

Probably deserves its own thread, TBH.

Maybe :p

He also gives a few shoutouts to Ridley Scott (mostly for frame composition), and Robert Rodriguez and Zack Snyder (for their distinctive visual style)

I liked his take on sequels vs original films. He's worked on sequels to other people work(Aliens), sequels to his own work(Terminator 2), adaptations of French films(True Lies), remakes of Fern Gully(Avatar), and original films like The Abyss. But ultimately, there's a personal stamp Cameron has on all these films, in their themes, or composition/editing rhythms, or the type of characters that inhabit the universes.

Which is really core to the problem of The Force Awakens, that JJ Abrams has no discernible personality and his Star Wars film is about nothing, but that's for another thread.

Agreed.

jett

D-Member
This is the part where I remind people James Cameron liked Terminator 3 and Genesys

He was more honest on T3 (and Salvation) once that thing was over and done with. "I'm not a big fan of the films.". He's just providing lip service because Ahnuld is his friend, although he really went above and beyond with Genesys. In a few years he'll shit on it probably. Although who knows, maybe he actually liked it. We live in a universe where Christopher Nolan is a Michael Bay fan.

GhaleonEB

It seemed like the defacto label for anyone who didn't instantly love TFA.

Ah. That not right though, there's tons of great critical analysis of TFA, even from fans. It was the response to "Rey is overpowered / learned to fast", a large swath of which (though not all) very much was rooted in sexism.

LosDaddie

Banned
Naw.

At least give 3 a go. It's short and fast.

eh....I've watched all the Jurassic movies recently and JP3 was the most difficult to get through. It's just...kinda boring. My son loves dinosaurs, but really only likes JW because it had the scariest dinosaur. He's 2yo.

Ah. That not right though, there's tons of great critical analysis of TFA, even from fans. It was the response to "Rey is overpowered / learned to fast", a large swath of which (though not all) very much was rooted in sexism.

Agree to disagree.
Criticisms of Rey were and are valid, but were instantly met with "You're sexist. Why aren't you complaining about Luke in a TFA thread?!?"

Agree to disagree.
Criticisms of Rey were and are valid, but were instantly met with "You're sexist. Why aren't you complaining about Luke in a TFA thread?!?"

I'm not going to say it's not possible to make a good argument, but I will say I have yet to see a single one that wasn't awful (either poorly constructed, sexist, or both).

Finaj

So Warcraft isn't going to get to $450 million, is it.

Not sure at this point.

Warcraft is at the kind of gross that makes me go "it might get a sequel, but it might not."

I'm really interested to see what the digital/bluray sales will be.

legacyzero

Banned
So ID2 made 143 million for the first weekend then? That's good news considering it's budget, right? I wonder what it's world wide totals will look like in order for to Fox green light the 3rd movie if they havn't already via contract?

FTF

So ID2 made 143 million for the first weekend then? That's good news right, considering it's budget, right? I wonder what it's world wide totals will look like in order to make Fox green light the 3rd movie if they havn't already via contract?

No, that's not good at all. Its budget, not counting marketing, was $165m. Only $40m domestic ow, where they retain the most $ from.

WillyFive

TFA was fantastic, great directing, script, music, effects, characters, pacing, etc.; but for a main character, Rey said so little in the movie. I never got a grasp of her personality.

So ID2 made 143 million for the first weekend then? That's good news considering it's budget, right? I wonder what it's world wide totals will look like in order for to Fox green light the 3rd movie if they havn't already via contract?

You're thinking of budget and revenue in terms of being equal: If the budget is $165 million and they make $170 million, that's profit.

In reality, the studio doesn't get all that revenue, it has to go to distributors and theaters. So half of that revenue is gone, for the purposes of their surface-level discussion. The $165 million probably doesn't include marketing and ID2 was given a big push with ads everywhere. Someone hazarded that the break-even point for the film is $660 million, which I feel is on the high-side, but unlikely given its start.

And beyond that, there's simply studio expectations. Like X-Men: Apocalypse before it, Fox expected more from this movie. This was another shot at the beginnings of a strong film franchise, Disney-style. In comparison with its predecessor, this fell way short domestically.

3N16MA

Banned
You should never ask Bronson that question.

I had no clue he would say that.

C9dQsAc.gif

My only flaw is that I am entirely predictable in my truth telling

That and my consistent yet crippling addiction to opium

Not sure at this point.

Warcraft is at the kind of gross that makes me go "it might get a sequel, but it might not."

I'm really interested to see what the digital/bluray sales will be.

bundle it with a hearthstone rare card pack and an overwatch skin and watch it be one of the best selling digital/blu releases of all time lol.

kswiston

You're thinking of budget and revenue in terms of being equal: If the budget is $165 million and they make $170 million, that's profit.

In reality, the studio doesn't get all that revenue, it has to go to distributors and theaters. So half of that revenue is gone, for the purposes of their surface-level discussion. The $165 million probably doesn't include marketing and ID2 was given a big push with ads everywhere. Someone hazarded that the break-even point for the film is $660 million, which I feel is on the high-side, but unlikely given its start.

And beyond that, there's simply studio expectations. Like X-Men: Apocalypse before it, Fox expected more from this movie. This was another shot at the beginnings of a strong film franchise, Disney-style. In comparison with its predecessor, this fell way short domestically.

If the budget actually was $165M for ID4R, and not just "Shit, our film is tracking way under expecations, time to downplay the budget!", I'd say $450-500M or so is a more likely break-even point. At least within that first year after boxoffice, and initial streaming deals/home media sales.

However, $450-500M is not looking all that likely.

There's not going to be a third movie. You can't sink any lower than budget Hemsworth.

Sulik2

ID needed Will Smith and to be made in 1999. Disney on a role as usual.

I need to see the shallows. I love suspense movies.

James Cameron should worry more about not wasting the rest of his life on 3 films no one asked for.

sass2.png
Scorsese the Don is one of the few OG's that is still making quality films instead of regressing like cameron and Spielberg.

I had no less than three opportunities to see Tarzan early and for free in the past two weeks. Suffice it to say, I have yet to see Tarzan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom