• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•21-23•15 - Knockin' niggaz out the box weekly... challengers DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I haven't seen F4 yet, but this is where I sit. I just assume those that say GL is one of the worst movies ever are young or haven't seen a ton of super hero movies. I'd say it's middle of the pack. Catwoman, Steel, Batman & Robin, Superman 3/4, pretty much every marvel movie before Singer's X men or Raimi's Spiderman are complete horse shit.

Looks like Man from uncle is finally in town, going to give it a watch tomorrow.

We have been spoiled in recent years. It's hard to argue that there were even 10 pre-2000s Marvel/DC superhero films that were better than the lower tier MCU films, or Man of Steel. Especially if we are just looking at Live action.

After the first two Superman films, the first 4 Batman films (if you are generous and count both the 1966 film and Batman Forever), and Blade, you are pretty much left with Howard the Duck tier films.

mreddie

Add me to the Sky High camp, can't believe it's been 10 years since it was out.

Sky-High-Dance-1437598563.gif

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Sneak Peek of T-6000s and T-7000s from Gensisy 2

lmao

Yes....YES!!! Sequel announcement please. And considering they'll lower the budget, hope they'll make it R-rated.

I'm hoping we get a sequel announcement as well. It's in Paramount's & Skydance's hands and hopefully they get together with China for a co-production status. The positive: Terminator Genisys's gross should allow them to break-even on production (excl. marketing).

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
The next fairly big opening will be The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials. Tracking has it opening in the $50M range, which would easily be a new September opening record.
Isn't that one coming to VOD on the same day as well or am I getting confused with something else?

ElTopo

Banned
Terminator Genisys 7-day China: $74.8 million

Terminator Genisys 7-day North America: $49.9 million

Worldwide: $400.6 million

https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/status/637742958176022528
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=terminator2015.htm

Still, the studio takes a smaller cut from the Chinese markets from the theater chains. And that's not taking marketing costs into consideration. The movie probably made closer to 200 million in profit.

They might eke out another one at a lower budget just to fuck over Cameron one last time.

kswiston

Isn't that one coming to VOD on the same day as well or am I getting confused with something else?

Probably something else. Scorch Trials will be a 3500+ venue release. Usually the simultaneous VOD releases are for smaller stuff.

Still, the studio takes a smaller cut from the Chinese markets from the theater chains. And that's not taking marketing costs into consideration. The movie probably made closer to 200 million in profit.

They might eke out another one at a lower budget just to fuck over Cameron one last time.

Generally a film has to make 2.5x its budget to make a profit. Less if it does well in the US, but more if it is getting more of its money from places like China.

With a 155m budget, it is probably barely breaking even.... even if it is doing that well in China.

kswiston

With a 155m budget, it is probably barely breaking even.... even if it is doing that well in China.

I did a back of the napkin rough calculation of Paramount's cut of Terminator's gross in this thread or the last one, and it will indeed be in the break-even range.

Still, it's going to be more than enough to justify a sequel, especially if they can cut production costs about $30M. The domestic gross can't get much lower. Any further dip there will be recovered by growth in China.

3N16MA

Banned
Next Terminator film set in China. When it looks like you are about to fail you can always count on China to pull through.

Next Terminator film set in China. When it looks like you are about to fail you can always count on China to pull through.

I remember reading an article that studios get less than 25% of the gross in China back.

The numbers may be big and pretty, but depending on them for profitability is worthless.

3N16MA

Banned
I remember reading an article that studios get less than 25% of the gross in China back.

The numbers make be big and pretty, but depending on them for profitability is worthless.

Yeah, they get a smaller cut. That being said they give films like Pacific Rim life for a sequel (which I'm happy about).

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Terminator Genisys really had a poor US window. It was competing against the likes of Minions, Jurassic World, Inside Out, Ant Man, among others within a short timeframe.

Poor planning on Paramount's part. Still, $450 million is no small amount. The franchise remains viable, overseas audience want to see more. Now that the origin story is established, there's room for improvement & a better story - the ball is in your court Paramount & Skydance.

The numbers make be big and pretty, but depending on them for profitability is worthless.

Yup; however, the marketing costs are covered by the local distributors. As such, China's gross helps the bottom-line greatly.

kswiston

Profit sharing is 40% for co-produced films, and general profit sharing will likely go up when they next review their foreign film policy. I think the thought is to plan for the future, as China is one of the few major box office growth territories in the world.

It isn't that far fetched to expect Terminator level films to regularly hit $200M in China by 2017-2018. Even at 25% that is $50M.

Mimosa97

They were continuing to come regardless. 90 Minutes in Heaven in two weeks. The bigger budgeted Miracles From Heaven in March. God's Not Dead 2, coming next Easter!

Holy shit. I've just watched the cringe worthy trailer. Hayden Christensen really hit the bottom of the barrel. There's no coming back from this.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Probably something else. Scorch Trials will be a 3500+ venue release. Usually the simultaneous VOD releases are for smaller stuff.
I just did a cursory googling and several sites are listing it as coming to Amazon Instant on the 18th. I'm going to guess someone mixed up the release lists or something.

I think Terminator should have been a late-July or early-August movie. All it would have had to compete with are MI:RN and Straight Outta Compton.

ElTopo

Banned
Generally a film has to make 2.5x its budget to make a profit. Less if it does well in the US, but more if it is getting more of its money from places like China.

I heard it was 3 times the budget.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Straight Outta Compton - $13.2M - $134M total
2) War Room - $11M
3) No Escape - $8.3M - $10M total
4) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - $8.3M - $170M total
5) Sinister 2 - $4.7M - $19M total
6) The Man From Uncle - $4.4M - $34M total
7) Hitman: Agent 47 - $3.9M - $15M total
8) The Gift - $3.1M - $36M total
9) Jurassic World - $3.1M - $643M total
10) Ant-Man - $3.1M - $169M total
11) Minions - $2.9M - $325M total
12) American Ultra - $2.8M - $10M total
13) We are Your Friends - $1.8M
14) Fantastic Four - $1.7M - $53M total

Worldwide Updates:

Jurassic World - $1.637B
Minions - $1.019B
Inside Out - $716M
Ant-Man - $369M

kswiston

With next week being labor day weekend, I think it is safe to say that Ant-Man will pass Captain America: The First Avenger domestically. It has a pretty good shot at passing the first Thor as well.

EDIT: I added in grosses for Minions and Fantastic Four to my post above.

I can't imagine that We Are Your Friends was expensive to make, but goddamn, that is one pathetic haul.

It´s reported to have a budget under 6M$ but even so that´s not a great result. It might have some luck in Europe, at least enough to make a small profit. It´s not a great debut for Max Joseph, the man will be stuck doing Catfish The TV Show forever.

Edit: It seems that WB paid 2M$ for the distribution rights for America.

kswiston

Really curious what the original projections for the film were compared to where it is now.

Do you mean before or after release?

Just before release, I think most people guess $250-325M domestic, and maybe a shot at $1B worldwide.

It's hard to predict a film's total off of the opening weekend, but this is on the lower end of what was expected after that record second weekend. Jurassic World's late legs weren't as good as Avengers or The Dark Knight.

Toothless

The next fairly big opening will be The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials. Tracking has it opening in the $50M range, which would easily be a new September opening record.

I actually think that'll be a big weekend in general. Black Mass has great buzz, and don't count Everest out despite it looking super generic.

Got back from Uncle, I really liked it. The dynamic between the three leads was a ton of fun. My favorite scene was
what happened to the torturer
. I don't know what jacked up the budget so much for the movie, it seemed pretty grounded. Hope there's a sequel, but it seems doubtful. I thought critics were a bit harsh but I'd give it 4/5 stars.

Changing the title probably would have helped yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom