• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•21-23•15 - Knockin' niggaz out the box weekly... challengers DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god Creed looks amazing
All the Philly in it
ALL OF IT

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm roughly 3x more excited for Creed than I am the next Pixar. Hell, I might (might) be just as excited for Creed as I am Force Awakens (which places it just under Mad Max for my most anticipated film of the year) - but there is no way Creed makes more money than Good Dinosaur. It's not gonna happen.

Absolutely.

It just might not do Jurassic World numbers.

And because people can't stop pushing the narrative that it's going to break every record that exists, becoming the #3-4 all-time domestic earner might be (probably will be) considered a "disappointment"

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Force Awakens will do gangbusters.

Tell us more.
Absolutely.

And because people can't stop pushing the narrative that it's going to break every record that exists, becoming the #3-4 all-time domestic earner might be (probably will be) considered a "disappointment"

I'll create a thread just for you highlighting such disappointment.

In it's header, your favorite word - BOM
B
A

Toothless

Good, aside from Reverent, they have nothing but expensive filler films coming to FX in a year.

Next year will be different obviously.

Uh...

The Martian?
The Peanuts Movie?
Joy????

it better be the good bomba up against creed. I really want the latter to be a huge success.

Don't be silly. Creed can make 125M+ and the new Pixar movie can make 300M+ and both can be a huge success. No need to make one quality film fail for another.

milanbaros

Member?
Absolutely.

I think the floor for Star Wars is $500m NA and $1.4b worldwide. Even if it isn't great I don't see it getting below that.

I think it is more likely than not that it won't quite reach JP in NA.

Uh...

The Martian?
The Peanuts Movie?
Joy????

Don't be silly. Creed can make 125M+ and the new Pixar movie can make 300M+ and both can be a huge success. No need to make one quality film fail for another.

Dino_ether.png

I really, really, REEEALLY hope that the Peanuts movie does to me what The Muppets did a couple years ago.

That was maybe the best screening I've ever hosted.

The last muppets movie? :p

No, that was "Muppets Most Wanted."

I'm talking about "The Muppets."

I'm not saying it's the best film of the movies I've screened for an audience. Just that the screening itself was probably the most fun overall.

And that includes the time I screened Blues Brothers with a live band playing "I Can't Turn You Loose/Time is Tight" as an intro for me & my co-host.

E the Shaggy

Max Landis was sort of freaking out on Twitter about American Ultra bombing, talking about how people don't want original movies, noting that Hitman and Sinister both beat it.

Here's the thing though, I think plenty of people are willing to give original movies a shot, I just don't want an original movie where Jesse Eisenberg is a pothead who is actually a government killing machine with Kristen Stewart as his girlfriend. Unless I heard amazing reviews, as opposed to the 30% it got on RT, why give it a shot?

It's Jupiter Ascending syndrome.

Max Landis was sort of freaking out on Twitter about American Ultra bombing, talking about how people don't want original movies, noting that Hitman and Sinister both beat it.

Here's the thing though, I think plenty of people are willing to give original movies a shot, I just don't want an original movie where Jesse Eisenberg is a pothead who is actually a government killing machine with Kristen Stewart as his girlfriend. Unless I heard amazing reviews, as opposed to the 30% it got on RT, why give it a shot?

It's got a really stupid name, Facebook guy is not an action movie draw, and the one commercial that I saw for it looked stupid. What exactly was he expecting?

mreddie

Wonder if Frankenstein makes money, will he change his tune?

mreddie

Now it's easy for me to get my point across
So listen up close if ya don't ya might get lost
I'm not a Hitman or a goddamn Minion yo I'm a gangsta
And Terminator is really stupid
I guess its time for the trama
With the N-E-O-G-A-F comma now that's drama
So pay attention by the way I must mention
I'm coming off hard in the third dimension

Cheebo

Banned
I saw American Ultra trailer in front of nearly every single movie I saw this summer, I saw that trailer more than any other. It eventually started to drive me crazy how often it showed. Am I the only one who seemed to see it in front of seemingly everything?

igotpaid

American Ultra surprised me. It wasn't amazing, but it was a fun movie. I was prepared for it to be terrible.

After seeing Hitman Agent 47, it made American Ultra that much more enjoyable.

Inside Out was an original movie thats gonna end up close to $350m/$700m ww. The Gift was a small original movie and its making $35m on its $5m production budget.

It helps that both Inside Out and The Gift were both, ya know, good. Well-received by critics and audiences who tell others to see it as well. So many American Ultra reviews, even the positive ones, like "eh I mean...its not good but these two got some real star power"

Wonder if Frankenstein makes money, will he change his tune?

But it wouldn't be an original movie then since it is using characters from a book.

But if it doesn't make a lot of money I am sure he will probably find something else to complain about or blame for its failure.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

...the film about a quirky individual that learns he's actually a trained agent or some other closely derivative plot...i think i saw the same movie with Cedric the Entertainer and Lucy Liu 10 years ago who cares. That's not an original idea. You think you suck but actually you DONT suck ...cause you're a killer.

Jason Bourne with comedy.

and that one had Sam Jackson saying Shane Black dialog

Max Landis, you are no Shane Black, and I don't see Sam Jackson anywhere in this mothafucka

Penguin

I was surprised at his surprise that a stoner flick starring that awkward dude who isn't Michael Cera and that awkward chick from Twilight and that dude who has had no career since his TV show ended almost a decade ago weren't a big draw this summer.

vinnygambini

numble

Terminate Genisys Monday China Gross - $10.5 million

2 Day Total - $36.5 million

Seems a bit more front-loaded than the usual fare, but might play better in the end due to summer and no competition for the next two weeks.

Box-Office analysts seem to think it'll end between $100-120 million

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/08/24/so-i-guess-terminator-genisys-isnt-a-flop-anymore/

There's a holiday in China next week, which may give it a boost.

So what are the chances of Skynet setting up shop in Beijing for Terminator Genisys 2 and 3?

Or as I like to call these hypothetical sequels - Terminator 32X and Terminator Saturn.

vinnygambini

There's a holiday in China next week, which may give it a boost.

I didn't know that, thanks for the heads-up! Could very well exceed those expectations then.

So what are the chances of Skynet setting up shop in Beijing for Terminator Genisys 2 and 3?

Or as I like to call these hypothetical sequels - Terminator 32X and Terminator Saturn.

I say there's a strong possibility.

If Paramount & Skydance can get with China for a co-production agreement and shoot there, the movie studio will benefit greatly as they get to keep 40% of the gross as oppose to the usual 25% (It's there best performing market so they have every interest in doing so).

Also, Paramount intended to shoot the Genisys sequels back to back in the veins of Hunger Games & Harry Potter when they announced the first film.

Speaking of Chinese co-productions, how much Chinese involvement would there generally need to be before a Western movie can skip the protection period / quota thing? I don't expect Schwarzenegger to learn Mandarin, outside of a couple of catch phrases.

I'm still gonna be pretty surprised if they make a second one. It seems like a pretty dangerous proposition given that this one essentially came down to a single country putting them into the profit zone. This one was a struggle to get made, and it didn't do what they'd hoped. How do you convince investors another one will turn out better?

My prediction is we get a year or two of vague mentions from studio folk about writers working on it and Arnold saying he hopes it happens. And then, nothing. It just never happens.

milanbaros

Member?
I'm still gonna be pretty surprised if they make a second one. It seems like a pretty dangerous proposition given that this one essentially came down to a single country putting them into the profit zone. This one was a struggle to get made, and it didn't do what they'd hoped. How do you convince investors another one will turn out better?

My prediction is we get a year or two of vague mentions from studio folk about writers working on it and Arnold saying he hopes it happens. And then, nothing. It just never happens.

Yep, including home video, streaming, TV sales etc the difference between a dollar made in the U.S. And China is massive. I don't think films are saved as much as people think by China grosses.

Yep, including home video, streaming, TV sales etc the difference between a dollar made in the U.S. And China is massive. I don't think films are saved as much as people think by China grosses.
While that's true, I think if Terminator does $450-500m or greater off the back of China, a sequel is highly likely.

I'm not even going to use Pacific Rim as an example, because I'm sure that did well post-cinema in the West. But Need For Speed is a getting a Chinese produced sequel because of how well it did there, and I'm sure it didn't do incredibly well at home or streaming. I know that movie only cost ~$50m, but I think as an example, it's comparable.

If nothing else, a Chinese co-production for Terminator Dreamcast will guarantee Paramount and Skydance can break even or make profit in theatres and have home market gravy.

This just my conjecture, and Paramount may even decide to not go ahead with anything, but I think it's more likely a sequel will happen than not.

numble

They are saved because of Hollywood expecting the Chinese box office to do even better when the sequel hits (Avengers: $86 million, Avengers 2: $240 million; Transformers 3: $165 million, Transformers 4: $320 million), and expecting their take to get larger (it has gone from 13.5%, 17.5% to 25%, with 40% for co-productions), and foreign movies are still limited to 4 weeks of releases, which may loosen up in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom