• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolverine prototype gameplay footage leaks (major spoilers)

CGNoire

Looking for a realistic answers here(so don’t list top tier Japanese action games or something with gameplay from 2+ generations ago):

What are you wanting an action adventure game starring Wolverine to play like in 2025?
How about like Ravensofts gem of a game.

Everything about how the game plays has leaked. This is what a reddit user found

"Design docs denote that the game will feature a Ninja-Gaiden style parry system, delimbing system and one-hit kill mechanic for staggered enemies. The game will also have a rallying system similar to how it's implemented Bloodborne for Wolverine to regain health after he's been attacked"

That sounds fucking amazing

LordCBH

Looks like the final product is gonna be dope as fuck.

But fuck these hackers man. Studio should have been able to reveal this stuff in their own time and keep things secret until they were ready.

CGNoire

That all seems very predictable tbh.I would have liked to have seen a super fluid system with perhaps over the top fast character movement so you could really move around fast slicing up the opposition.....this looks like standard 3rd person action game.
Play the 2008 game. It Rules.

Saber

X-Men is going to break people's minds. It's actually political in the source material.

It is, but for mutant related stuff hence why is so good. Its aways about humans vs mutants, where the main points are Charles trying to bring recognizion and peace between them while Magnus wants to bring mutant supremacy.
I'm actually more concerned about Jean Grey. I like her as character, don't want them to treat her in the same way they did with MJ.

Last edited:
It is, but for mutant related stuff hence why is so good. Its aways about humans vs mutants, where the main points are Charles trying to bring recognizion and peace between them while Magnus wants to bring mutant supremacy.
For sure, I always loved X-Men. In the past it was a sorta tasteful and interesting allegory for some aspects of racism, but they kept it from being so heavy handed that all you thought about was our real world. It didn't feel overly preachy somehow either. You mostly thought about the X-Men plots and the allegory was a background addition. Will be really surprising if they thread that needle this time.

Billbofet

Looks okay. Like a Spiderman reskin, but I love Wolverine. Wish there was a little more innovation, but this is Sony's bread and butter.

KXVXII9X

That all seems very predictable tbh.I would have liked to have seen a super fluid system with perhaps over the top fast character movement so you could really move around fast slicing up the opposition.....this looks like standard 3rd person action game.
I'm surprised people are surprised by this. Especially, since Sony has been all-in on making blockbusters. Wolverine is by Insomniac who makes more cinematic 3rd person games. Even from the teaser you could tell it would borrow from a more standard Playstation 3rd person action game template than something a bit more loose like Sunset Overdrive. It is also a Marvel game. I didn't expect much gameplay innovation.

shamoomoo

I said the same thing in the other thread. Detective Vision is old and needs to either be cut or meaningfully evolved.
But Wolverine has enhanced senses so smelling things like a dog is part of his abilities. I don't know how that mechanic can evolve in terms of game play outside of some kind of lie detector type of use.

Last edited:

Fake

What do you mean? Jean Grey is like an SSS-tier mutant, she has insane powers.

Even if they drastically bring her power levels down Wolverine is still nothing compared to her.

Jean Grey is powerful when she became Dark Phoenix. Otherwise, Wolverine is a far better mutant. Combat, speed, stamina, near immortality.

Her telekiness is very limited as she push her mind many many in the comics/cartoons times lol.

Again, do not mistake Jean state with her Dark Phoenix alter ego.

edit: BTW, I don't know why you choise focus on that part. The others about stealth and Bloodborne are far more worrisome imo.

Last edited:

Saber

What do you mean? Jean Grey is like an SSS-tier mutant, she has insane powers.

Even if they drastically bring her power levels down Wolverine is still nothing compared to her.

You're confusing Jean Grey with Phoenix. Jean Grey is usually frail to sustain her psychic powers for long and has to constantly keep control of her powers. Its one of the reason she keeps under Charles mentoring the most.
Phoenix on the other hand is an ultra entity, powerfull than any mutant.

Last edited:
Jean Grey is powerful when she became Dark Phoenix. Otherwise, Wolverine is a far better mutant. Combat, speed, stamina, near immortality.

Her telekiness is very limited as she push her mind many many in the comics/cartoons times lol.

Again, do not mistake Jean state with her Dark Phoenix alter ego.

edit: BTW, I don't know why you choise focus on that part. The others about stealth and Bloodborne are far more worrisome imo.
Jean Grey is the glass cannon and Wolverine is the tank. It's a natural MMO style team.

Jean Grey as a glass cannon is a great representation. Wolverine as a tank, not so much. He is a powerful being.

I guess we are at the mercy of Insomniac interpretation at this point.
Yeah I guess. He's no Colossus but his main move is basically taking infinite damage and always healing lol. His claws are fine, but there are many people that can do more damage than him. His big thing is he just can't die, but yeah he is also a damage dealer obviously.

shamoomoo

I don’t care if I’m coming across as overly negative but this combat and movement is already sending me to sleep. Tap square to combo. Looks just like GoW, Horizon and Spider-Man.
How is Wolverine suppose to fight? Is Wolverine a boxer with wrestling moves? His moment is supposed to similar to beat'em up games.

Lunarorbit

Read that story spoiler... They are really changing the established narrative and there's some big things in there I'm not down with.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, what can I say about this leaked footage. Obviously, it's extremely early stuff and the game is at least 2 years away still, but for the most part animation quality is great, combat is somewhat reminds me of excellent X-Men Origins: Wolverine made by Raven but... I don't like cel shaded look of what looks to be very polished cut-scene footage and you can clearly see it in WIP stuff as well, it's just does not look right and I hope they'll drop it.

If anything, all these leaks of gameplay footage made me want to play the game, where as before I haven't had any hopes for it after Spider-Man games gameplay-wise. I mean, I'll wait for official reveals to see how it looks in a more polished state, but I'm already on board.

Sadly, it looks like PC build of the game was leaked along with other stuff and this is a lot more serious that animations and test footage. Sony needs to get their shit together and up the security measures in their studios to prevent these kind of leaks.

Last edited:
Read that story spoiler... They are really changing the established narrative and there's some big things in there I'm not down with.

Them rewriting established aspects is not surprising. Bryan Intihar of Insomniac stated that during the development of Spiderman 2 they knowingly and intentionally went against what most people anticipated/wanted. And that was despite vocal criticism from Spiderman game prior.

CGNoire

People commenting it looks trash.....I forget how stupid some people are, like really stupid, are they allowed to wear socks?

People are "mostly" complaining about the direction the game is going...not the quality of the final product.

The direction is clear. Its gonna be an over the shoulder game with the spiderman art style. Some people didnt want that then theu have more than enough evidence to voice concern.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

God of Uncharted Wolverines. How original. Literally creatively bankrupt.
How so? For the people complaining, what exactly do y'all want?

I would imagine Wolverine as a video would be similar to other 3d person action adventures games. His abilities are already known,so any gameplay using all of his abilities would be similar to other games with similar mechanics.

That depends. You're talking about 60 years worth of material. There's plenty there that is just good action/scfi.
Sure, if they make it far enough and start hopping in time machines, space ships and other dimensions. X-Men will never make it past the Sentinels at this speed, let alone stuff like Longshot and Mojo. Would be happy to be wrong about that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah it retcons a lot of stuff in the comics. Not on board with it. And the story seems to be more about Jean Grey then Wolverine in all honesty.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sure, if they make it far enough and start hopping in time machines, space ships and other dimensions. X-Men will never make it past the Sentinels at this speed, let alone stuff like Longshot and Mojo. Would be happy to be wrong about that.
Taking Magneto out of it would be nice too. He's the main bad I get it but they have others they could use.

It'd make my week if they announced Larry Hamma was on the writing team for this game. I loved his run on Wolverine. That's where I started back in the early nineties.

ungalo

How so? For the people complaining, what exactly do y'all want?

I would imagine Wolverine as a video would be similar to other 3d person action adventures games. His abilities are already known,so any gameplay using all of his abilities would be similar to other games with similar mechanics.
I don't want to pull R2 to sniff

Wow, first of all, this must suck tremendously for the devs.

Second, I can literally tell that this is where their main resources are going instead of Spiderman 2. These cutscenes already look better than that entire game.

Third, this looks it's going to be pretty sick and it's really awesome seeing a behind the scenes video like this because it's better than anything Sony have revealed in the past 2 years.

I wish AAA studios were more open to releasing this kind footage before the game. It provides informative updates while also help people respect what they actually have do to build a full game.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

He can fight in any which way, I’d just prefer for the gameplay to be engaging for the player.
If you can't specify how Wolverine is supposed to fight then you have no argument. Either Wolverine fighting style free forming,like he has basic attacks that we choose how to fight or Wolverines style is pre-defined from the weakest to the strongest move set.

Banjo64

cumsessed
If you can't specify how Wolverine is supposed to fight then you have no argument. Either Wolverine fighting style free forming,like he has basic attacks that we choose how to fight or Wolverines style is pre-defined from the weakest to the strongest move set.
Wolverine fights how he fights.

Sony can only implement 1 style of combat in their games it seems.

It’s not up to me to create engaging game play mechanics on behalf of Sony.

As a consumer I am within my rights to say ‘that looks boring’ and not spend any money on it.

Hope that clears my position up for you.

Top Bottom