• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman accidentally shot dead during Florida police academy exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This situation is dumb, why the hell were they even using 'unloaded' guns for practice, especially with civilians. I hope the family is hanging in okay, I have no idea how I'd respond to this kind of scenario of a loved one, let alone as a spouse or a child. I do hope they're at least taken care of, this is completely the police's fault.

Lorcain

I saw this yesterday...so sad and completely avoidable. I feel like because there is such a huge disparity in lethal force competency across federal, state, local and county law enforcement departments, including sheriff departments, that lethal force should not be a tool that all law enforcement officers should automatically have at their disposal. I wish all LE officers had to meet a new federal competency certification (with federal background check) before they can carry a firearm. And similar to the military, maintain annual federal firearm and lethal force qualifications.

Alexlf

Probably bring your own gun, removed the mag, forgot the bullet in the chamber and then pulled the trigger?

Nope, they were struck with multiple bullets. It was properly loaded.

Edit:
Nevermind. The source I originally read is probably less accurate than the guardian, so for now I'll just assume it was a single bullet.

Verelios

Why wouldn't they use blanks at least? They're not ideal either, it's just I'm wondering why anyone would think firing actual guns near civilians would be a good idea.

hwalker84

I always assumed they used plastic guns or glorified paintball guns for this type of training, wtf?

Police use Simunition a lot
fx_cartridges.png

You have to be grossly negligent to screw this up.

When I do force on force we use airsoft guns.

Derwind

Do they normally use live rounds?

Judging from the wording of the article, the test should have had dummy rounds but a live round was accidentally loaded.

Not trying to absolve the mistake that was made or the life that was taken.

platocplx

I saw this yesterday...so sad and completely avoidable. I feel like because there is such a huge disparity in lethal force competency across federal, state, local and county law enforcement departments, including sheriff departments, that lethal force should not be a tool that all law enforcement officers should automatically have at their disposal. I wish all LE officers had to meet a new federal competency certification (with federal background check) before they can carry a firearm. And similar to the military, maintain annual federal firearm and lethal force qualifications.

I agree, lethal force should NOT be that accessible to officers especially ones that are first responders. That may save a lot of lives that way.

Slacker

Yea, probably didn't check if the chamber was loaded. Basic 101 stuff if you went to gun class.

Isn't basic 101 gun class also where you learn never to point a gun at something unless you want it dead? This is an unfathomable screw-up.

Police use Simunition a lot
fx_cartridges.png

You have to be grossly negligent to screw this up.

When I do force on force we use airsoft guns.

Sim rounds also require special kits that switch out the bolt, which makes them impossible to use live ammo with. Plus the parts are generally a bright color so you know it's a conversion kits and not the real thing.

This is just straight up weapon negligent. RIP to the victim.

xk0sm0sx

Lesson 1: If you are holding a gun, you do not point it at anything no matter how unloaded the gun you think is.

Lesson 2: Keep your hands out of the trigger.

Even if the officers had a loaded gun, if they actually followed these basic principles, the gun would not have killed someone even if it was loaded.

a scenario intended to demonstrate how and when officers decide to pull the trigger. Knowlton played the victim, Charlotte Sun photographer Sue Paquin told the newspaper, and a Punta Gorda police officer played a “bad guy.”

So even in this practice scenarios they shoot the fucking victim and killed them. Seems like a pretty accurate snapshot of the American police system.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wtf is this shit? You're not playing laser tag. Why are you using actual guns? Why are you pointing them at people? Why do they still have firing pins? Why are they loaded? Why? Why? Why?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Someone needs to get charged for negligent manslaughter and this group needs to get sued.

Not acceptable and very avoidable

They should just mime guns with their fingers. They all practice on the range. Or at least say bang. If you're working with people. No need to aim guns at them.

There's like 10 steps between "point your finger at them" and "use a real, quadruple checked, unloaded weapon" and they not only managed to avoid all of them, they took it a step further. Like, what? How do you fuck up that badly?

TheShocker

Sim rounds also require special kits that switch out the bolt, which makes them impossible to use live ammo with. Plus the parts are generally a bright color so you know it's a conversion kits and not the real thing.

This is just straight up weapon negligent. RIP to the victim.
Not necessarily true. I've seen some sim rounds that function out of normal Glocks and AR's. They're not common place, but the DO exist. Still, you would think ammo would be double/triple checked and weapons cleared before any scenario was set up.

I honestly don't understand how live rounds were even available during a training exercise. I hope they figure out what specifically went wrong; to make sure this does not happen again.

RIP to the victim and her family.

sangreal

these exercises shouldn't exist for police, let alone random people. they're designed to teach cops that everyone is about to kill them

commedieu

Banned
There's like 10 steps between "point your finger at them" and "use a real, quadruple checked, unloaded weapon" and they not only managed to avoid all of them, they took it a step further. Like, what? How do you fuck up that badly?

I've got it!

They have terrible remedial training and 0 accountability for their actions. Literally shooting people during their shitty training.

Just a pathetic state of things.

Log4Girlz

And normal citizens must be far more responsible with their guns than an officer right? Guns only make us safer right? :/

MCN

Banned
This is why you should NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES point a real firearm at somebody you aren't willing to actually kill.

This is fucking basic shit.

My condolences to the family who lost one of their loved ones. My condolences to the shooter as well who might be a little neglected here. I mean, I can only imagine them feeling like a murderer despite a person of higher authority assuring them nobody'd get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom